PDA

View Full Version : Calendar 2009/2010

Roy
11th December 2007, 18:06
I get almost a hart attack when I saw this. New rallies, unknown what surface and missed a lot of quality, classic rallies.

http://www.fia.com/mediacentre/Press_Releases/FIA_Sport/2007/December/071207-14.html

WORLD RALLY CHAMPIONSHIP

The following calendars have been adopted for the 2009 and 2010 seasons of the FIA World Rally Championship.

2009 FIA World Rally Championship
01-Feb Ireland
15-Feb Norway
15-Mar Cyprus
05-Apr Portugal
26-Apr Argentina
24-May Italy
14-Jun Greece
28-Jun Poland
02-Aug Finland
06-Sep Australia
04-Oct Spain
25-Oct GB

2010 FIA World Rally Championship
24-Jan Monte Carlo
14-Feb Sweden
07-Mar Mexico
11-Apr Jordan
25-Apr Turkey
16-May New Zealand
20-Jun Indonesia
18-Jul Russia
08-Aug Bulgaria
22-Aug Germany
12-Sep Japan
10-Oct France

A number of measures to improve side impact protection have been adopted for all manufacturer cars in the 2008 World Rally Championship. The safety measures allow for more space for absorbing energy; a stronger supporting seat; an energy absorber; safety nets and optimised belt anchorage positions.

Further side impact measures, including strong seat rails and a load spreading door cage, will be applied as soon as the manufacturers and the equipment suppliers are able to comply.

The FIA Junior Rally Championship has been reinstated as a world series (FIA Junior World Rally Championship) as it now runs over three continents.

SubaruNorway
11th December 2007, 18:53
What do Russia and Bulgaria compare to? Is Rally Libanon in Bulgaria? The big loss for 2010 is Finland i think, you can't do a season without Finland, it's just to good.

If you don't remember how good it is :D
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/46bbf5dc-fd17-45ba-b9a9-99fa00cfd828.htm

Josti
11th December 2007, 19:03
hmm...I really have to get used to this. I don't know if country's like Poland, Turkey, Russia and Bulgaria add something new to the scene. To my knowledge, most of the rallies on both calenders are on gravel, so I don't know what the hell FIA was thinking. I doubt w'll see mixed surface events in Portugal and Italy to be honest. FIA might underline mixed surface events different than we thought (like adding a bunch of SSS...)

Nope, doesn't do it for me...

Woodeye
11th December 2007, 19:33
I thought from the beginning that this idea was born dead. And it sure is if you look at this calender. No Monte, Sweden or NZ in 2009 or Finland and Wales in 2010. What a joke! :down:

Especially 2010 is ridiculous. Turkey, Indonesia, Russia, Bulgaria. I can hardly wait. :rolleyes:

Somehow it seems to me that FIA is using all the possible ways to make this sport even LESS popular.

leno
11th December 2007, 20:04
my opinion is not so negative. it is true that some of very good events will be missing but events like russia, bolgaria, indonesia, jordan can aslo become spectacular?i more negative to only 12 events per years

William Hunt
11th December 2007, 20:09
Some rally's like Finland, Wales and surely the Monte Carlo should be on the calendar every year. And the Safari should come back to WRC (I'm dreaming).

L5->R5/CR
11th December 2007, 20:12
I thought from the beginning that this idea was born dead. And it sure is if you look at this calender. No Monte, Sweden or NZ in 2009 or Finland and Wales in 2010. What a joke! :down:

Especially 2010 is ridiculous. Turkey, Indonesia, Russia, Bulgaria. I can hardly wait. :rolleyes:

Somehow it seems to me that FIA is using all the possible ways to make this sport even LESS popular.

I for one am intrigued to see Rally Russia and Rally Indonesia, however, no NZ, GB, and Finland each year? That is a crime against rally....

A.F.F.
11th December 2007, 20:35
I excited to see Indonesia back. How about that mud :up: :D

What I'm worried is that are the championships equal every year ?? Of course they are but how they are gained ? Some years may suit better to others.

bryst
11th December 2007, 20:37
What are FIA on! missing classic events will not enhance the world wide appeal of the sport how can you have a season without Monte,Finland,Wales,Sweden etc. FIA ARE IDIOTS.

Lousada
11th December 2007, 20:48
Surprising calendar. That there are only 12 events is a very big plus in my opinion.
I too am intrigued by some of the rallies. Where did Indonesia and Bulgaria suddenly come from??? I presume Russia is the IRC-rally that moves over. Alternating the rallies looks a little odd. But in my opinion rallies like GB and Monte Carlo have been so dumbed down and average that it doesn't really matter.

Anyway, knowing the FIA, this calendar and probably the whole philosophy will change another 1293840202 times before 2009 and 2010.

Simmi
11th December 2007, 21:36
I suppose fair play to them for getting these calendars out so early. At least now teams and prospective teams (pretty please) have some idea about the future and something to work towards. But like Lousada says there will no doubt be a couple of changes before we get to 2009.

From a personal point of view it would have been nice to have Ireland and Wales on alternate years. I'm more bothered about the type of cars that will be running then where the rounds themselves are situated.

J4MIE
11th December 2007, 22:22
I too am surprised to see Russia, Indonesia and Bulgaria on the calendars but will reserve judgement until they run. Might be that they are good events! I sometimes think that whatever the FIA do there are some that will always complain. Variety is the spice of life in rallying and I don't think that there should be any "classic" events in every year in this system, where would we stop? Monte, Sweden, Portugal, Greece, New Zealand, Australia, Safari, Finland, Argentina, Corsica, Catalunya, GB... I'll watch the WRC wherever it goes, and on the event(s) I particularly love, will enjoy them all the more every two years :up:

Better side impact measures and window nets can only be a good thing IMHO :up:

Roy
11th December 2007, 22:24
What are FIA on! missing classic events will not enhance the world wide appeal of the sport how can you have a season without Monte,Finland,Wales,Sweden etc. FIA ARE IDIOTS.

National rally clubs -and I 've heard- manufactures can choose the calender. They vote for it. Who is the FIA in this case? The people who selected the rallies which can voted?
This make it more and more a World Championship.

Citroen needs a gravel driver in 2009/2010. Ther are less tarmac rallies. So far I count 2. Didn't know what rallies these are: Do some know what surface is of:
Poland (Is it gravel?)
Indonesia (?)
Russia (IRC '07 gravel rally?)
Bulgaria (?)

Roy
11th December 2007, 22:26
Anyway, knowing the FIA, this calendar and probably the whole philosophy will change another 1293840202 times before 2009 and 2010.

Right! :up:

duff
11th December 2007, 22:33
Let me reiterate what most others are saying- No Monte, Finland, Sweden and GB is the wrong way to go. They are the most iconic, popular, entertaining and classic rallies of the calendar and the should be PERMANANT!

I think 12 rallies is the way to go but you have to keep the soul of the championship. Like A.F.F I'll look forward to indonesia though, that rally was great.

J4MIE
11th December 2007, 22:46
Let me reiterate what most others are saying- No Monte, Finland, Sweden and GB is the wrong way to go. They are the most iconic, popular, entertaining and classic rallies of the calendar and the should be PERMANANT!

Ok, but why not my favourite event CYPRUS, I believe that should be permanent too?

Oh, and let's have Ireland as permanent as well, it was quite interesting.

And Turkey, we definitely need a Turkish event.

And why not Germany and of course we can't forget the middle east so Jordan has to stay in also.

AndyRAC
11th December 2007, 22:51
This news came out on Friday/Saturday and I've been waiting to comment since then. They really know how to shoot themselves in the foot don't they? Remember 1994-96 when there was rotation, it didn't work; 1995 didn't have 1000 Lakes, 1996 didn't have Monte or RAC, and as Iwent to the RAC it was a damp( actually a snowy, icey) squib. Don't they ever learn, the WRC needs all the help it can get, so losing your big Rallies isn't the way to go, the 'classics' should run permamently, i;e Monte, Acropolis, Finland, GB. What bizarre statements will be next? I'm not sure some of the new countries are going to offer anything new, if there was a new mixed surface event, well possibly, but it's mainly gravel, and still no Safari....
....and why is GB running in October? Over here there hasn't been much outcry that we're losing a round, imagine if it had been the British GP.

Daniel
12th December 2007, 00:02
No Finland? WTF??????

N.O.T
12th December 2007, 01:21
Nice to see that the rounds are limited to 12....The selection is stupid though...i think the FIA must adopt 5-6 rounds that should be included every year (as long as they pass the standards) and rotate the remaining rounds

Livewireshock
12th December 2007, 07:07
The problem with having a rotational system is that every rally must sit out a year.

If you want to have "classic" events that are used year after year, you will be confronted by 20 different rallies as to why they should be made permanent. Because everyone wants to be there & everyone will be passionate for their favourite event, especially for their local rally.

By restricting the calendar to only 10 rallies a year limits the amount of venues the WRC can attend. As it stands, 8 out of 10 WRC rallies in 2009 will be held in Europe, so it hardly makes it a World Chapionship. In 2010, 6 out of the 10 events will be within Europe, with Jordan just being that little bit further.

So regardless of what most of you say, 60-80% of the events are going to be with in a 4 hour flight of most of Europe. So access & transport can not be considered an issue for any fan. With low cost airlines & such, travel is easier than ever.

Plus by having the WRC in new countries will open those countries up to become greater hard core Rally fans. It is too early to tell if the events will be good or not, but we should not put the cart before the horse in this matter. We could be surprised & see new venues full of ecstatic fans with great reports from the drivers to the quality of the roads etc....

Personally I think 10 events are too few, twelve would have been better with at least 4 long haul events per year, one each in South America, Asia, Africa & Oceania. As it currently stands, we have three rallies in Asia in 2010 but none in 2009 & I guess none in 2011.

A.F.F.
12th December 2007, 07:23
Ok, but why not my favourite event CYPRUS, I believe that should be permanent too?

I think you stand pretty much alone with Cyprus. I personally hate it, if one can hate a rally. I don't think it's among the classic by any standard. It's rather new rally so it lack the tradition, it's not fast so it's not spectacular and it's a car-wrecker so it's more lottery than pure rallying. :mark: I'm not sure but I think many share this view.

Tomi
12th December 2007, 07:43
I have a feeling this calender will still change, the whole rotation nonsence is because Monte and Corsika organisers only wants to arrange a rally every second year because of economical losses, because of that they think that every event should rotate, they failed once before with this rotation crap, and they will do it this time too.

GigiGalliNo1
12th December 2007, 08:17
Indonesia? I'm there! :D Well, I know 100% those calendars will change, every few months!

shurik
12th December 2007, 08:19
About Russia 2010..
I'm a bit frusrated and excited at the same time. On one hand it's the first ever WRC stage for Russia, but on the other hand..
First of all, why in the god name it's it's gonna be held in july?! There's no snow in july! :( w***ers :down:
Okay, back to normal.. The track is in the same region as IRC Vyborg 2007-08, so it's gonna be quite like Finland - fast and gravel. :laugh: 'Quite like' means 'okay, we have no Finland for 2010, but we have a stage that mocks it' :D

Let's hope that organisers will prepare it better than it was this year :)

Daniel
12th December 2007, 08:29
Indonesia? I'm there! :D Well, I know 100% those calendars will change, every few months!
Just make sure no one tampers with your luggage :p

jparker
12th December 2007, 08:41
Please don't forget that FIA is in business because of the car manufactures. Most likely they have driven these changes. It's better to have proper WRC competition involving many manufacturers, then where the events take place.
Poland, Russia, and Bulgaria are new and very promising markets.

shurik
12th December 2007, 08:46
Wonder why there's no Hungary in the list, Hungarians are just as crazy about rally as Finns, and they have good roads also..

AndyRAC
12th December 2007, 08:49
The WRC isn't strong enough to put up with rotation. How can you have a season without Monte, it's the most famous Rally in the World, F1 wouldn't leave Monaco out, yet Rallying is losing it's big events for a year, DOH!!! You couldn't make it up....

pino
12th December 2007, 09:36
The rotation is good, however these 5 classic events ( Monte, Sweden, Acropolis, Finland, Wales ) should stay in the Calender permanently. Also I am glad to see Indonesia back, love that surface :D

Roy
12th December 2007, 09:53
The rotation is good, however these 5 classic events ( Monte, Sweden, Acropolis, Finland, Wales ) should stay in the Calender permanently. Also I am glad to see Indonesia back, love that surface :D

My thoughts about 'classic' events:
Monte: Without snow nothing is classic in this Rally. Last year it was another Spain. Is there snow in Ireland that time? If yes. It is better.
Sweden: With another snow rally, Sweden is not necessary.
Acropolis and Finland: These are real classic. Keep it all years.
Wales: I doubt. Now I say: stay all years.

Argentina: The classics are not only in Europe. I think Argentina is a 'classic' too, but it is OK IMO to switch with Mexico once in a year.

GigiGalliNo1
12th December 2007, 09:58
Just make sure no one tampers with your luggage :p

Just my camera gear and a back pack. not much :p wasted a lot of energy when in japan so for get it lol :p

Leon
12th December 2007, 09:59
I think you stand pretty much alone with Cyprus. I personally hate it, if one can hate a rally. I don't think it's among the classic by any standard. It's rather new rally so it lack the tradition, it's not fast so it's not spectacular and it's a car-wrecker so it's more lottery than pure rallying. :mark: I'm not sure but I think many share this view.

There is a whole lot of people visiting Cyprus during the rally combining the event with tourism (short distances, great hotel facilities and food), so definitely he is not alone. Plus I enjoy unpredictable rallies.

I donī t want to make this a pro-cyprus thread. For sure there are better events for different criteria of which event is good/classic or should have a place in the WRC. The problem is that nobody even FIA ever made clear which are the criteria for having or not an event in the WRC.

MikeD
12th December 2007, 10:21
I like the rotation idea, but I do think that FIA should have kept the 3 of the classics every year (Monte, Tour De Corse and NORF).

I am mostly surprised by the rally in Bulgaria, but in general these new venues will help the sport grow in more countries than the traditionel ones.

Well done FIA!

Tomi
12th December 2007, 11:21
I like the rotation idea, but I do think that FIA should have kept the 3 of the classics every year (Monte, Tour De Corse and NORF).

It was not FIA who wanted to drop Monte and tour the corse, the local federations dont want to run the events every year because of economical lost.

Brother John
12th December 2007, 11:37
I also like the rotation idea. At last something happens in wrc and there are here people who start to nag concerning the classic rallys!
My opinion, we donīt need each year the same classics.
Oke if your favorite rally is not in the list is not nice. About the rotation, itīs good for the sport.
The best and incinerating rallys were this year, Norway and Ireland! Where we did not see the dominate top two winning all the time.
How often people say the last years that the wrc becomes annoying?
I would say, go take a look once somewhere else. I like to see somethimes another rally. I like to see rallys where almost nobody has experience.
Nowadays you can travel cheap and in a couple hour you are somewhere els in Europe.

MikeD
12th December 2007, 11:49
It was not FIA who wanted to drop Monte and tour the corse, the local federations dont want to run the events every year because of economical lost.

Ok, thanks for the info. If that's the case then I can't find anything negative to say about the rotation system, and I think FIA has reacted to needed demand.

...and I think Brother John pretty much covers what i also think.

koko0703
12th December 2007, 12:16
12 round calender is good, and the new event should get a shot at least once. But removing some of the classic event completely from the calender is very bad idea. In my opinion, Monte, Sweden, Finland, Wales GB, Greece, Tour de Corse, and New Zealand should always be on the calender.

Daniel
12th December 2007, 12:31
Just my camera gear and a back pack. not much :p wasted a lot of energy when in japan so for get it lol :p
No I mean make sure no one puts something in your surf board bag if you know what I mean. *cough* *cough* *schapelle corby!* *cough*

DonJippo
12th December 2007, 13:21
Ok, thanks for the info. If that's the case then I can't find anything negative to say about the rotation system, and I think FIA has reacted to needed demand.

But there are events that would not like to rotate, how is that then reacted by this calendar? Why all has to rotate because of some?

Personally I don't believe these calendars will hold and there will be changes to these but only time will tell if my feeling is right.

MikeD
12th December 2007, 13:58
But there are events that would not like to rotate, how is that then reacted by this calendar? Why all has to rotate because of some?

I think it's because there are so many applicants, and because both WRC and FIA wants the sport to expand. You might miss NORF every second year, but our sport will get more fans around the world and better sponsor posibilities.

Finni
12th December 2007, 14:00
I think it's because there are so many applicants, and because both WRC and FIA wants the sport to expand. You might miss NORF every second year, but our sport will get more fans around the world and better sponsor posibilities.

The degree of spectacularity of rally Finland is the best in the world. I don't how any other rally could do rallying more attractive to ordinary people.

MikeD
12th December 2007, 15:29
The degree of spectacularity of rally Finland is the best in the world. I don't how any other rally could do rallying more attractive to ordinary people.

Maybe but this years Rally Ireland proves you wrong to some degree. And the purpose of WRC is not to just get support and interest in Finland - it's to try and build it up and keep it as a world championship. So it's only fair and the right thing to do to expand the sport in other countries.

From your point of view, I can fully understand why Finland should have a rally every year, but from the manufacturers point of view Finland is not a big market and perhaps not a very attractive one either. For them, Russia, Indonesia, etc are far more interesting. They will have new markets to reach via WRC results and they will have many more interesting sponsors.

There is also the whole driver issue, which I also described in another post. While it's nothing but impressive what Finland has delivered when it comes to quick rally drivers - it's at the same time a problem that very few nations occupy all the seats in our sport. You cannot build up WRC in the rest of the world if the Finns and the Norwegians occupy 60% of the seats. After all this is not a Nordic championship but a world championship. Hopefully some of these new venues will produce a couple of rally drivers from new countries.

Just for the record, I don't care about nationality, but most do, so it's important that FIA take this into consideration.

Daniel
12th December 2007, 15:32

Personally I don't believe these calendars will hold and there will be changes to these but only time will tell if my feeling is right.
Plus there are events which the championship needs. Finland for one......

Without Finland..... wtf?????

Blitzerflitzer
12th December 2007, 15:59
It was not FIA ... the local federations dont want to run the events every year ...

How did you come to this Info?
I was at the Tour de Corse 2007, as long as i remember, the news on TV and Paper in Corsika says "As we dont have a WRC in every Year, we try to start with IRC"

N
12th December 2007, 16:39
IMO, if you bring the WRC to a country which doesn't know anything about it, you'll end up having a lot of "idiots" watching the rally, the sort of people who can't appreciate the fact that they are at an event which is the top of the rallying world. The sort of people that will throw away an autographed rally poster once the rally is finished and forget all about it... :/ Nothing drives me up the wall more than hearing someone say stuff like, oh, I thought that Gronholm is driving for Peugeot, wait, is Seat still competing in the WRC... :x What are you doing here if you don't know anything about it.

I feel that classic events should stay and rotate other events, but I guess that this will be hard to do with them trying to reduce the number of events per season. I agree with the comment that the european WRC events not taking part should be part of the ERC for example..

Tomi
12th December 2007, 17:12
How did you come to this Info?
I was at the Tour de Corse 2007, as long as i remember, the news on TV and Paper in Corsika says "As we dont have a WRC in every Year, we try to start with IRC"

The info is from J.Mahonen, member of the FIA rally comission.

jparker
12th December 2007, 17:17
IMO, if you bring the WRC to a country which doesn't know anything about it, you'll end up having a lot of "idiots" watching the rally, the sort of people who can't appreciate the fact that they are at an event which is the top of the rallying world. The sort of people that will throw away an autographed rally poster once the rally is finished and forget all about it... :/ Nothing drives me up the wall more than hearing someone say stuff like, oh, I thought that Gronholm is driving for Peugeot, wait, is Seat still competing in the WRC... :x What are you doing here if you don't know anything about it.

I feel that classic events should stay and rotate other events, but I guess that this will be hard to do with them trying to reduce the number of events per season. I agree with the comment that the european WRC events not taking part should be part of the ERC for example..

From what I see in this forum and around it, there are plenty of non WRC host counties that have major knowledge and interests in rallying and are more reliable source of rally information they your country.
I guess you have to count the "idiots" in your country before speaking of others.

Tomi
12th December 2007, 17:22
From what I see in this forum and around it, there are plenty of non WRC host counties that have major knowledge and interests in rallying and are more reliable source of rally information they your country.
I guess you have to count the "idiots" in your country before speaking of others.

And the there is those who knows the difference of a lousy organised rally and a good one, and who like to go and spectate good ones.

SubaruNorway
12th December 2007, 18:02
Why don't the Cezch's have a wrc event, they seem crazy about rally http://www.ewrc.cz/ewrc/show.php?id=7376

Can't remember to have seen any rally from Bulgaria and barely Russia

Shacki
12th December 2007, 18:21
Why don't the Cezch's have a wrc event, they seem crazy about rally http://www.ewrc.cz/ewrc/show.php?id=7376

Can't remember to have seen any rally from Bulgaria and barely Russia

Good question!

Priorat
12th December 2007, 18:39
From what I perceive from people outside the rally fans world, they know about and turn some attention when Rally Monte-Carlo, Sweden, Finland or RAC are running like they know when the Dakar, Monaco GP F1, the football championships or the Olimpic Games are on.
But they know nothing about the rest.
So Imo, a win in one of these rallys may give more exposure to manufacturers than wining the whole championship, not to say wining in Bulgaria.
So Imo, these classics should stay and make them look like something special like Dakar is to RallyRaid or Monaco Gp to F1.

jparker
12th December 2007, 18:39
And the there is those who knows the difference of a lousy organised rally and a good one, and who like to go and spectate good ones.
The new rallies in Poland, Russia, and Bulgaria have been under observation by FIA officials for many years. Bulgaria hosts ERC (20) event for about 40 years. I guess FIA will not accept these events if they don't comply with what's required. If you don't like going in other countries, that's your problem.

jparker
12th December 2007, 18:49
From what I perceive from people outside the rally fans world, they know about and turn some attention when Rally Monte-Carlo, Sweden, Finland or RAC are running like they know when the Dakar, Monaco GP F1, the football championships or the Olimpic Games are on.
But they know nothing about the rest.
So Imo, a win in one of these rallys may give more exposure to manufacturers than wining the whole championship, not to say wining in Bulgaria.
So Imo, these classics should stay and make them look like something special like Dakar is to RallyRaid or Monaco Gp to F1.

There is very little to be gain in well established market, therefore you don't know much about what "gain" means for manufacturer. But I agree, the classic rallies should not rotate, as long as they want it.

Tomi
12th December 2007, 18:51
The new rallies in Poland, Russia, and Bulgaria have been under observation by FIA officials for many years. Bulgaria hosts ERC (20) event for about 40 years. I guess FIA will not accept these events if they don't comply with what's required. If you don't like going in other countries, that's your problem.

I dont have problem with new rallies, but I dont see the point why to rotate well organised rallies, before they did vote the best rallies every year, rotating the 3 lousiest organised would be ok and fair for those who make the events more than just a try to attract tourists, it would courage the other to do a better job too.
What comes to visiting other countries to Poland i have been 8-10 times and 2 times to Russia + some 30 other countries not that it has anything to do with it, WRC events I have been watching about 30 something live, not from in front of PC.

Priorat
12th December 2007, 19:19
There is very little to be gain in well established market, therefore you don't know much about what "gain" means for manufacturer. But I agree, the classic rallies should not rotate, as long as they want it.
I agree. I know nothing about manufacturers gains or bussines. But I don't think Mitsubishi and VW do the Dakar to open new markets in the desert or Renault tries to win Monaco GP to sell Clios in the Principality. They do because of the big name of the race and that sells a lot me thinks. So the same could be done with the classics. They already have the name. Now they only need to convert them to a bigger challenge so people turn they heads when somebody wins them. Could be something like tennis with the Grand Slam.

Daniel
12th December 2007, 19:29
I for one don't want to visit an unknown quantity. I've been to Finland twice now and I know what I'm getting plus the event has been run since before Jesus was born (Jesus Puras. Not the son of God Jesus). But go to a country which has never hosted a WRC event and I don't know what I'm going to get. Are the stages going to get cancelled because they don't have enough marshals and are people going to understand that standing on the outside of a corner is dangerous and so on.....

Well nothing's stopping me from going to Finland for two weeks again. Just means I won't be able to fit a rally in at the same time. Oh well.....

jparker
12th December 2007, 19:41
..........But go to a country which has never hosted a WRC event and I don't know what I'm going to get. Are the stages going to get cancelled because they don't have enough marshals and are people going to understand that standing on the outside of a corner is dangerous and so on.....

You know, some people learn things very quickly. I guess you don't know that because it took you a lot of visits to Finland to learn where to stand.

Daniel
12th December 2007, 19:42
You know, some people learn things very quickly. I guess you don't know that because it took you a lot of visits to Finland to learn where to stand.
What are you on about? :rolleyes:

jparker
12th December 2007, 19:44
I dont have problem with new rallies, but I dont see the point why to rotate well organised rallies, before they did vote the best rallies every year, rotating the 3 lousiest organised would be ok and fair for those who make the events more than just a try to attract tourists, it would courage the other to do a better job too.
What comes to visiting other countries to Poland i have been 8-10 times and 2 times to Russia + some 30 other countries not that it has anything to do with it, WRC events I have been watching about 30 something live, not from in front of PC.

Well, then keep your comments after you visit one of these new events, not now. If you don't know, you don't tell.

jparker
12th December 2007, 19:48
What are you on about? :rolleyes:

How many reallies did you visit before you learn not to stand outside of turn?

Daniel
12th December 2007, 20:15
How many reallies did you visit before you learn not to stand outside of turn?

DonJippo
12th December 2007, 21:37
Well, then keep your comments after you visit one of these new events, not now. If you don't know, you don't tell.

Doesn't the same apply to you as well or have you visited these new events so that you can say they are all good ones?

Daniel
12th December 2007, 21:54
Doesn't the same apply to you as well or have you visited these new events so that you can say they are all good ones?
How many rallies did you have to go to before you knew what a good rally was and what wasn't :p

jparker
13th December 2007, 02:07
How many rallies did you have to go to before you knew what a good rally was and what wasn't :p

Insulting other countries is kind of sick you know, and then hiding behind other people's words and twisting your own to cover your a$$ is even worst. You think people around will not notice that?

Daniel
13th December 2007, 02:11
Insulting other countries is kind of sick you know, but theh hiding bihind other people's words and twisting your own to cover your a$$ is even worst. You think people around will not notice that?
I'm sorry but we're on a completely different planet here. I never insulted any country :crazy:

SanjayKumar
13th December 2007, 03:17
Whooo Poland!!! haha, jk, just tryin' to calm the mood.

jso1985
13th December 2007, 04:14
What I don't like is only 12 rallyes a year, it was kinda necesary but still... I wish we could have 18 WRC rallyes a year.

But about the moaning of missing "classic" events, not even here we can find a consensus of wich ones are classic rallyes!, I think almost all current rallyes have been pointed out as "classic" at least in one post. if the FIA would try to "save" classic rallyes, an organizer from a non-classic rally could complain about why their rally isn't a classic. So I think they made a smart move not giving special treatment to any rally.

Josti
13th December 2007, 08:26
But about the moaning of missing "classic" events, not even here we can find a consensus of wich ones are classic rallyes!, I think almost all current rallyes have been pointed out as "classic" at least in one post. if the FIA would try to "save" classic rallyes, an organizer from a non-classic rally could complain about why their rally isn't a classic. So I think they made a smart move not giving special treatment to any rally.

I think it's pretty clear which the classic events are. If you're not aware of them, I understand why you don't see the problem. It's not only those traditional events that need special treatment, it's the fans aswell. Most people don't like to see the appealing events being replaced by relative unknown rally's. I don't see anything strange about that. Sentimental value is also important.

I just don't think it's wise to make such radical changes at a point when WRC is not in it's strongest position. Ok, nothing is official yet, but I doubt that it will change that much. Is still wonder about mixed-surface events. Poland, Russia and Indonesia are on gravel and Bulgaria (Albena?) is on asphalt to my knowledge. Going back to the old Portugal and Sanremo rally could compromise a bit.

Livewireshock
13th December 2007, 09:54
At the end of the day, despite the rally not being held every year in the same country, there will be one only a 200 to 300km away, just across the border. So there is hardly any excuse for not attending as a spectator or as a competitor.

Sweden with Norway, Cyprus with Turkey, Australia with New Zealand, Sardinia with Corsica and Finland with Russia.

Hardly requiring much effort for the keen rally fan to travel, while developing new fans in the new countries.

I just can not fathom why they have all the Asian events in the same year 3 in 2010 & none in 2009, the same with both Iberian events in 2009 when Spain & Portugal should be rotated in order to give the local fan the chance to attend one of the event per year. Ireland & Great Britain should be rotated for the same reason.

MikeD
13th December 2007, 10:13
I just can not fathom why they have all the Asian events in the same year 3 in 2010 & none in 2009, the same with both Iberian events in 2009 when Spain & Portugal should be rotated in order to give the local fan the chance to attend one of the event per year. Ireland & Great Britain should be rotated for the same reason.

Very good points!

I think the reason is that the teams have complained about expensive travel costs - especially when going oversees. So by putting events close to each other the teams can make some savings.

Livewireshock
13th December 2007, 10:25
Four fly away events should be adequate each year. In order to have a presence on at least 5 continents each year. 2009 is basically an up scaled European Rally Championship with just two events outside Europe.

One event should be in Asia, North/South America, Oceania & Africa/Middle East to ensure a World Championship.

The current rotation system is off balance in this regard. Plus I think 12 events is a more practical number for each year to allow for this, plus having the majority of events still in Europe where the biggest fan base is.

WRXedUSA
13th December 2007, 18:36
Won't Bulgaria and Poland BE part of Russia in a few years?

LOL

In summary, these calendars are a disaster. Leaving out key traditional events (Finland, GB, MC, Sweden) can only undermine the strength of the WRC series.

I'm all for "world tour", but can't we get rid of Turkey,Cyprus, Sardinia (or move it back to San Remo)?

'Skipping' years between events has to be a pain in the ass to organizers.

N
13th December 2007, 19:54
Why would you want to get rid of Cyprus, it's a good and challenging rally, just because the media label it as a hot car breaker rally, it's not that bad and you need to have good technique to conquer the rally.

I would love to see San Remo back in the WRC, but at the momement there are around 20 good rallies that "should" be in the WRC, yet, only 12 will be part of the WRC each year, sadly, the only solution is to rotate. But starting the season anywhere else but Monte Carlo is just wrong, :D

Personally, I can't think of a perfect solution. Manufacturers want around 12 events per season due to costs, on the other hand I would love to have more because a good event will always miss out.

DonJippo
13th December 2007, 21:43
Intresting read by J. Mahonen unfortunatelly only in Finnish but maybe someone will translate it to english...if I were you would not start to plan any trips based on 2010 calendar...

http://www.nesteoilrallyfinland.fi/sisapiirinews/2007/joulu/joulucorneri/default.html

Blitzerflitzer
13th December 2007, 22:27
The info is from J.Mahonen, member of the FIA rally comission.

hmmm...??? and what means this now? http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123464

sportpolitics? Are this fights between FIA/WRC and some Rally-Organisations about the new Calendar and Rotation-System?
Or is the WRC/FIA loosing some of the older Events?

Sombody with more Italian Language to translate this, please.

jparker
14th December 2007, 03:02
Intresting read by J. Mahonen unfortunatelly only in Finnish but maybe someone will translate it to english...if I were you would not start to plan any trips based on 2010 calendar...

http://www.nesteoilrallyfinland.fi/sisapiirinews/2007/joulu/joulucorneri/default.html

Considering the fact that 2009 and 2010 calendars are draft versions only, I don't have to read anything to agree with you.

Livewireshock
14th December 2007, 05:01
Considering that the WRC does not have a power figure like Ecclestone in F1, who is famous for his playing games with calendars in order to increase the value of a Grand Prix especially for himself. I am now left wondering if this could be part of a similar powerplay by the FIA amongst teams, the events & other concerned parties.

We all know there is no such thing as a scared F1GP with B.E. ready to sell to the highest bidder. That logic & madness could be the drive behind these calendars.

Give the teams exactly what they want in having a shorter 12 event calendar but then leave them squirming because of the mix of events under rotation. The teams could soon be screaming for a return to a longer calendar. which the FIA can sell at a higher cost to see who of the 24 rallies gets in. Could be a nice little earner in this light.

How is this for a conspiracy concept?

AndyRAC
14th December 2007, 08:11
Considering that the WRC does not have a power figure like Ecclestone in F1, who is famous for his playing games with calendars in order to increase the value of a Grand Prix especially for himself. I am now left wondering if this could be part of a similar powerplay by the FIA amongst teams, the events & other concerned parties.

We all know there is no such thing as a scared F1GP with B.E. ready to sell to the highest bidder. That logic & madness could be the drive behind these calendars.

Give the teams exactly what they want in having a shorter 12 event calendar but then leave them squirming because of the mix of events under rotation. The teams could soon be screaming for a return to a longer calendar. which the FIA can sell at a higher cost to see who of the 24 rallies gets in. Could be a nice little earner in this light.

How is this for a conspiracy concept?

I hope that's all that it is. Whilst I understand money has to be made, I don't want it to come at the expense of the Championship or sporting considerations. 12 events is enough, keep the 'classics' that leaves 7 or 8 events to rotate.
I don't want events getting on the calendar because they bid the most money, look at F1, there are races on the calendar that shouldn't be on it, but because of money, they are. I don't want WRC going like that if it can help it.