PDA

View Full Version : 2008 World Rally Champion Mikko Hirvonen

SanjayKumar
3rd December 2007, 18:35
Year before last I predicted that Mikko would be the 2008 champion and now it seems as though he could very well do that. He has shown huge improvement this year and speed that could keep up with the best next year. With Marcus leaving, he will be the lead driver so hopefully he steps up a little bit and claims that 2008 Driver's Title!

Plus, it would provide a change of scenery from Seb (Love the guy, but Mikko will be champion!)

N.O.T
3rd December 2007, 18:37
Failed....

jonas_mcrae
3rd December 2007, 19:14
naa, I like the guy and of course hes good but next year he will be second in the drivers. Hopefully ford will win the manu with Latvala driving as he is driving now (plus latest spec focus).

White Sauron
3rd December 2007, 19:33
Failed....

N.O.T. = Not an Object to Trust

Fully agree with SanjayKumar!

AlfaWRC
3rd December 2007, 20:02
Absolutely optimistic that he will do it!!!

Can't wait for the start at Monte Carlo in January

Tomi
3rd December 2007, 20:07
I belive it will be closer than many thinks.

Woodeye
3rd December 2007, 20:26
Unfortunately I'm a quite sure that Seb will hold a certain record after next year, not share it with Tommi anymore.

I hope that I'm wrong.

N.O.T
3rd December 2007, 20:29
The thing is.....Hirvonen wasn't even close when Gronholm and Loeb were fighting for the win...he sure had orders from the team to go for max points without risking....but can he go flat out for 10-15 stages without crashing like Loeb and Gronholm did ?? he doesn't have the skills or the experience to do that yet on gravel !!!! let alone tarmac where he could be below podium !!!

He is not champiosnhip material as long as Loeb is there....and bare in mind that the C4 is a young car and Loeb only drives it competitively for a year.....

I think Hirvonen should be happy if the championship isn't over for him after 7 rounds.....

N.O.T
3rd December 2007, 20:32
N.O.T. = Not an Object to Trust

Fully agree with SanjayKumar!

Your new idol will be crushed like your previous one....and i will laugh at your despair and demise..... :D :D :D Isn't Life great ????

White Sauron
3rd December 2007, 20:38
Your new idol will be crushed like your previous one....and i will laugh at your despair and demise..... :D :D :D Isn't Life great ????

At least I don't make an idol of myself like you do ;)

By the way, as about Hirvonen ability to push throughout an event. What about Norway 2007? Finland 2007?

N.O.T
3rd December 2007, 20:59
Yes he will have a chance to win the snow rallies and the home rally.....other than that ??

Corny
3rd December 2007, 21:06
Depends on the C4, if Citroën will make a big step forward then Mikko will be nowhere, but when it remains like this, he will have a serious chance..

1LM1
3rd December 2007, 21:09
May the best driver win!
May the best team win!

May the next season be great!

Citroen and Ford are both fantastic teams and the C4 and the Focus are both fantastic reliable cars.

I am quite optimistic.

The big question is maybe: will Petter and Subaru be able to win again? Why not.

leno
3rd December 2007, 22:08
The big question is maybe: will Petter and Subaru be able to win again? Why not.
i really hope so

RallyfanNZ
3rd December 2007, 22:20
The only person who really knows how much Mikko was pushing is Mikko himself.

I predict that Ford will win the manufacturers for a 3rd time in a row. Mikko and Loeb will be equal at start of year, but towards the end Mikko will trail off on the tarmac and win GB again. Loeb has made more driving errors this year then any other. So I think Loeb is going about as fast as he can go. I still think Mikko has some speed left in him.

Janne
3rd December 2007, 22:46
I hope Mikko is capable of challencing Seb next year, but I doubt it. No-one of current WRC drivers can do it, he is just too fast and reliable. We'll see after two years how records will show at that point

A.F.F.
3rd December 2007, 22:58
I think Mikko will be able to challenge Sebastien but not for the title. There are about six or seven rallies where Mikko can fight for the win but on tarmac he is only fighting for second position.

Of course if Latvala should get the second seat of Ford and continue on taking those giant leaps towards the top, then Sebastien had two fight against to on gravel * fingers crossed *

Isthmus
3rd December 2007, 23:02
Depends on the C4, if Citroën will make a big step forward then Mikko will be nowhere, but when it remains like this, he will have a serious chance..

If the C4 will grow up its skills as the Xsara did, then will be almost impossible to take the title to SLoeb. Remember, even that Citroën won the makes title in 2003, it was not at all the most competitive car at gravel. Then in 2004 it was really improved, and won at all surfaces...then in 2005 was just a perfect season. But Ford are no sleeping ether :)

SanjayKumar
4th December 2007, 03:55
Mikko definitely needs to improve on his skills, but he will. The Focus is a very well built car and has an extra year on the C4 so hopefully that'll help also.

pantealex
4th December 2007, 04:58
Loeb will be champion (hope not), but he wins "only" 10 events
Hirvonen wins 3 times
Latvala will win 1
Solberg (with new Impreza) or Sordo (after Sebs mistake) 1

ST205GT4
4th December 2007, 07:33
I think the biggest problem for anyone challenging Loeb is that he is basically untouchable on tarmac. That's a huge advantage. It's like free points in the bank. Then all he has to do is be competitive on the loose and he wins again.

I think the best battle next year will be within the Ford team itself. Latvala has shown amazing pace and consistency this year. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see a fight reminiscent of the Subaru McRae/Sainz stoush in the 90s.

My big hope for next year is that Atkinson finds some consistency and some results. Not very optimistic though.....

White Sauron
4th December 2007, 08:43
Yes, the advantage for Loeb next year is that there will be one gravel event less, which means asphat rallies percentage more and up almost to 40%.

Finni
4th December 2007, 18:55
Yes, the advantage for Loeb next year is that there will be one gravel event less, which means asphat rallies percentage more and up almost to 40%.

There is probably also one less tarmac event as Ireland is out. From candidate rallies only Poland is tarmac rally to my knowledge.

I think that FIA should get some rid to big number of asphalt events - even for the reason that those events are dominated by two Citroens which is degrading factor for interest level of rallying. I think three asphalt events would be enough. And thopse events should be something like half snowy Monte Carlo and rally Ireland in order to create some spectacle. Bare asphalt driving seems boring from television.

jonkka
4th December 2007, 19:41
If the C4 will grow up its skills as the Xsara did, then will be almost impossible to take the title to SLoeb. Remember, even that Citroën won the makes title in 2003, it was not at all the most competitive car at gravel. Then in 2004 it was really improved, and won at all surfaces...then in 2005 was just a perfect season. But Ford are no sleeping ether :)

Back then Citroen had Jean-Claude Vaucard to design the car. Now he's gone but Ford still has Christian Loriaux. Question is, has Vaucard left any of his magic at Citroen, perhaps in form of a protege?

jonkka
4th December 2007, 19:47
I think the biggest problem for anyone challenging Loeb is that he is basically untouchable on tarmac. That's a huge advantage. It's like free points in the bank. Then all he has to do is be competitive on the loose and he wins again.

Next year there will be no mousse tyres. As to how puncture-resistant the Pirelli control tyre will be and how well teams will adapt their cars to the new rubber and drivers adopt the secrets of choosing unknown tyre will be decisive as well. If former association with Pirelli is an advantage, Subaru will have that one, though they'll be giving some of it away due to their car.

If my worst fears come true and WRC will become what P/JWRC has been - a puncture lottery - Loeb's neat and smooth driving style should help him to avoid punctures.

A.F.F.
4th December 2007, 20:53
If my worst fears come true and WRC will become what P/JWRC has been - a puncture lottery - Loeb's neat and smooth driving style should help him to avoid punctures.

Are you sure of that? I had a chance to find brilliant spectation points at last NORF and there Loeb cut the corners as greedy as Marcus and Mikko.

Corny
4th December 2007, 21:01
Are you sure of that? I had a chance to find brilliant spectation points at last NORF and there Loeb cut the corners as greedy as Marcus and Mikko.

And in Germany he (seb) was cutting the deepest on the places I was!

Donney
4th December 2007, 21:02
I am not sure he'll be champion, but he has shown he has the skills to push for the win in most of the rallyes.

I hope he can and provides us with a nother down to the wire season.

Tomi
4th December 2007, 21:04
Thats propably why he has done misstakes this year, Ford has closed the gap so Loeb has to take bigger risks.

jparker
4th December 2007, 21:52
Next year there will be no mousse tyres. As to how puncture-resistant the Pirelli control tyre will be and how well teams will adapt their cars to the new rubber and drivers adopt the secrets of choosing unknown tyre will be decisive as well. If former association with Pirelli is an advantage, Subaru will have that one, though they'll be giving some of it away due to their car.

I agree. That's why next champion may very well be the fastest driver/mechanic.
I envision Loeb practicing tyre change around Christmas :D

Gard
5th December 2007, 06:42
I agree. That's why next champion may very well be the fastest driver/mechanic.
I envision Loeb practicing tyre change around Christmas :D

Yes, WRC is becoming like biathlon. The result will be the combination of how easy you take it and how many tires you have to change(penalty round)

samehere
5th December 2007, 10:20
Year before last I predicted that Mikko would be the 2008 champion and now it seems as though he could very well do that. He has shown huge improvement this year and speed that could keep up with the best next year. With Marcus leaving, he will be the lead driver so hopefully he steps up a little bit and claims that 2008 Driver's Title!

Plus, it would provide a change of scenery from Seb (Love the guy, but Mikko will be champion!)

mikko???maybe when loeb finishes his career...

miksu
5th December 2007, 11:37
I have never like Hirvonen as a driver, or as a personality, and probably never will. If he will someday win the WC, good for him, but i have my doubts. Next year will be very interesting when we will see who he is gonna partner at Ford, and how he will deal with it.

Isthmus
5th December 2007, 11:50
Back then Citroen had Jean-Claude Vaucard to design the car. Now he's gone but Ford still has Christian Loriaux. Question is, has Vaucard left any of his magic at Citroen, perhaps in form of a protege?

In that case, without Jean-Claude to design the C4, then Citroën Sport made a damn good job with it, being competitive at all the surfaces allready in its first year. And i remember quite well how the C4 was called around here, back in 2006 : "just crap" ;)

jparker
5th December 2007, 14:50
I have never like Hirvonen as a driver, or as a personality, and probably never will. If he will someday win the WC, good for him, but i have my doubts. Next year will be very interesting when we will see who he is gonna partner at Ford, and how he will deal with it.

Mikko's performance was measured from "team order" point of view. Next year will be different, he will be number one driver (or at least not backup one), so no more excuses. That will show the real picture.

playmo
5th December 2007, 16:25
If Mikko was on a "points leash" the whole season, the WHY if only at GB he was unleashed didn't win the rally with an advantage of 1 minute or more?
At the momment he has NO potential to fight Loeb for a win ALMOST anywhere (Sweden, Norway, Finland only).
At Rally GB Loeb and Bosse weren't pushing, Norway it was Loeb's mistake and Gronholm not feeling comfortable with the car.
Next year it will be a joke the gap at the end of the first leg of almost every rally, trust me!, it looks (this far) like a 5th consecutive title for Loeb and don't think Ford will have it as easy for the Manu, Dani has learned his lesson and think will push a bit more (plus, don't think HIS C4 would be as "glitched" as this years). But seriously, at Ford, Latvala? think he'll crash every other even't (hope i'm wrong, 'cause the kid has World Champion Potential, even more than Sordo or Hirvonen); and Mikko will push really hard for the first half of the season but if he crashes often (wich has happened while pushing HARD this year, remember)
I'm already pissded off (does it shows?!)

Helstar
5th December 2007, 16:32
Hirvonen won't win any championship until Loeb is racing, I agree ^^

I got a better idea, take P.Solberg in Ford so he can challenge Loeb at least on gravel rallies ... *hides*

A.F.F.
5th December 2007, 16:56
If Mikko was on a "points leash" the whole season, the WHY if only at GB he was unleashed didn't win the rally with an advantage of 1 minute or more?
At the momment he has NO potential to fight Loeb for a win ALMOST anywhere (Sweden, Norway, Finland only).
At Rally GB Loeb and Bosse weren't pushing, Norway it was Loeb's mistake and Gronholm not feeling comfortable with the car.
Next year it will be a joke the gap at the end of the first leg of almost every rally, trust me!, it looks (this far) like a 5th consecutive title for Loeb and don't think Ford will have it as easy for the Manu, Dani has learned his lesson and think will push a bit more (plus, don't think HIS C4 would be as "glitched" as this years). But seriously, at Ford, Latvala? think he'll crash every other even't (hope i'm wrong, 'cause the kid has World Champion Potential, even more than Sordo or Hirvonen); and Mikko will push really hard for the first half of the season but if he crashes often (wich has happened while pushing HARD this year, remember)
I'm already pissded off (does it shows?!)

One can always choose not to watch WRC.

jonkka
5th December 2007, 17:09
In that case, without Jean-Claude to design the C4, then Citroën Sport made a damn good job with it, being competitive at all the surfaces allready in its first year. And i remember quite well how the C4 was called around here, back in 2006 : "just crap" ;)

Jean-Claude did design the C4. He retired from Citroen Sport at the end of 2005 and C4 was first introduced in 2004.

Isthmus
5th December 2007, 19:14
Jean-Claude did design the C4. He retired from Citroen Sport at the end of 2005 and C4 was first introduced in 2004.

I guess that doesn´t change what i said. The C4 was to be introduced in midle of 2005 season, but they stoped its development at the beginning of 2005. The true development was made in 2006, and there was substancial changes, like the active/passive diferencials. So, at this point, Jean-Claude being or not there, doesn´t mather. Without him at the "sabatic year" to develop the C4, it came untouchable in tarmac and very competitive in gravel/snow.
I guess that for the future of the C4WRC and CitroënSport team competitiveness, the new boss at CitroënSport will make the difference at how will he manage the team.

tmx
6th December 2007, 01:03

i agree when it comes to finland, i watched the onboard camera of marcus vs loeb on finland and marcus is smoother and neater. that is because it's his home ground though. else where can be different. but the citreon is too good when it comes to shorter and tighter corners, it's engine sound vividly more responsive.

marcus doubting mikko can challenge loeb:
“I think they can do well,” he asserted. “The car is very good – it's strong, reliable and quick, and Mikko has had a good season with three wins this year. I'm sure he can win many rallies, but it will be difficult to beat Sébastien. Can Mikko fight with Loeb until the end of the championship next year? I don't think so.” crashnet

Roy
6th December 2007, 12:20
Gronholm has his doubts about 'champion' Hirvonen:
"I'm sure he can win many rallies, but it will be difficult to beat Sébastien. Can Mikko fight with Loeb until the end of the championship next year? I don't think so.”

It is my thoughts as well.

http://www.crash.net/motorsport/wrc/news/157946-0/gronholm_doubts_hirvonens_ability_to_challenge.htm l

jparker
6th December 2007, 17:17
Gronholm has his doubts about 'champion' Hirvonen:
"I'm sure he can win many rallies, but it will be difficult to beat Sébastien. Can Mikko fight with Loeb until the end of the championship next year? I don't think so.”

It is my thoughts as well.

http://www.crash.net/motorsport/wrc/news/157946-0/gronholm_doubts_hirvonens_ability_to_challenge.htm l

It's relatively unknown how Mikko will perform next year, but yes, this is the right attitude to handle such questions. First, it will mobilize Mikko to prove Bosse is wrong, and second, it's always better to say little but do a lot more, vs. the opposite.
BTW, that's why Suzuki looks like a fool right now, they shouted up loud that they will fight for the title in 2008, then comes the excuses. Not good.

Tom206wrc
6th December 2007, 17:49

When I've read the title of the thread I was expecting it would have been Ste898 who wrote it !!! :laugh:

Tom206wrc
6th December 2007, 17:57
I think Mikko will be able to challenge Sebastien but not for the title. There are about six or seven rallies where Mikko can fight for the win but on tarmac he is only fighting for second position.

I'm afraid Sordo will be in front of Hirvo on tarmac ;)

A.F.F.
6th December 2007, 20:50
I'm afraid Sordo will be in front of Hirvo on tarmac ;)

That was exactly what I meant.

Paul.G
6th December 2007, 21:41
Yes I think it will be Sebs again next year, would be nice to see the new Impreza competitive but that will be half way through the year so hopefully match fit for the 2009 season.

My hopes are on Latvala, his turn of speed over the last few events show that he has got the pace, just needs to gain experiance and keep it on the road.

Kaiser
11th December 2007, 19:56
Curious to see how everyone will do with the new tires next year myself. I think that is going to change the big picture. I think Mikko will be much better next year and will challenge. I also like Latvala to come through with a few wins and really push Loeb.

Will make for some spectacular theater.

1LM1
12th December 2007, 09:19
Curious to see how everyone will do with the new tires next year myself. I think that is going to change the big picture.
Will make for some spectacular theater.

Good point. The use of mousse or any other anti-deflation device being outlawed, new tyres are a radical change.

Not to mention that they probably will suit better to one particular car. We don't know which one yet.

Kaiser
12th December 2007, 17:09
Weren't the Pirelli's always good on tarmac but rather lacking on gravel? Or was it the other way around?

mdesign
12th December 2007, 17:44
Weren't the Pirelli's always good on tarmac but rather lacking on gravel? Or was it the other way around?
My impression is OK in gravel, bad in dry Tarmac.

SanjayKumar
12th December 2007, 19:00
My impression is OK in gravel, bad in dry Tarmac.

I always thought that the Pirellis were good on wet tarmac but didn't do as well as the BFGs/Michelins on anything else.

ST205GT4
14th December 2007, 01:22
Agree with Sanjay. The Pirellis only good point was their wet weather performance. They were terrible on dry tarmac. Remember Sarrazin in a Subaru on Michelins at one of the tarmac rounds handing Petter his backside a few years ago?

Zes
17th December 2007, 10:19
So Ford extended Mikko's contract. Does anybody know how long contract was it? End of 2010 like JML has?

bstrat
18th December 2007, 00:34
I would really like to see him win a World Championship. Anyone then Loeb. I think Loebs great but he has had so much luck.

N.O.T
18th December 2007, 00:39
I would really like to see him win a World Championship. Anyone then Loeb. I think Loebs great but he has had so much luck.

Failed