PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth

Magnus
26th November 2007, 09:09
I belong to those people who can "scroll along" for hours on Google Earth. I think it is so very fascinating to see the world in this way. I can´t decide though if it makes me think the earth is big or if it is small...
Most parts of the world are still at a rather low definition, not least Sweden, my home is just a blur on the screen :(
On other places though the definition is fantastic, for example Googles office outside San Fransisco. Nowadays I always look on the places I am going to on Google earth before I leave home. I guess its some kind of tic: I feel much better if I am able to tell which way is north whereever I am. On some airports this is almost impossible, take London Heathrow for one example, then its good to check it out first...the other reason is pure curiosity...
There are a lot of interesting details out there. What especially brings the programe "live" is when you can spot something particular, like the landing/starting planes on copenhagen int and vancouver int. If you have made some other interesting observations I would be glad to share it!
I am also a bit curious: where are you people? I am at 57,52´50,74"N, 11,35´42,50"E where a gale from the north today make life a little bit chilly...

UKOG~Will
26th November 2007, 09:43
My house is a field, as it's new :(

Daniel
26th November 2007, 12:20
Google Earth is excellent on the interactive whiteboard in Caroline's classroom. Imagine a 2m or so touchscreen version of Google Earth and that's about it :D It's a pity the PC isn't better because you can't turn the settings up high as it gets very jerky!!!!

jim mcglinchey
26th November 2007, 13:34
" ...
I am at 57,52´50,74"N, 11,35´42,50"E where a gale from the north today make life a little bit chilly...

Now the CIA know where to drop a satellite guided J-Dam onto your head.

I notice that the imagery has been updated but I cant quite date it..looks like April 07. You can clearly see into our back yard and tell that the kitchen door is open..amazing.

Magnus
26th November 2007, 14:19
Oops, had no idea they where so opposed to me. I´ll give them a call! Besides, I have helmets in my workshop so it is no major problem anyways :D

Magnus
26th November 2007, 21:50
Wow... glad you are as thrilled about Google Earth as I am... :rolleyes:
:D

dyfi1
27th November 2007, 20:43
I`m also addicted to GoogleEarth. On my `travels` I came across Dovenby Hall, Ford WRC HQ. Parked at the rear of a building are what appear to be 3 Volvo S60 recce cars. Place your pointer on 54°41`04.76" N 3°24`20.49 W to see. Happy snooping!

GridGirl
27th November 2007, 21:30
Dyfi1, you could just pay £30 to go visit Dovenby Hall. It's quite an interesting tour although there is no photography allowed inside. Ended up being more expensive for me after I decided to buy a ST after seeing the rally one's they had there though. Doh.

Did you see Mr Wilson's helicopter parked outside?

J4MIE
27th November 2007, 23:04
You can't see my village on it (grrrrrrrrr), but you can see how badly I parked at work that day.

So I say Google Earth....not so good!! :p :

Magnus
28th November 2007, 08:50
No heli, but it certainly looks like recce cars there dyfi1!