PDA

View Full Version : Ralf Schumacher wants McLaren seat !

Zico
25th November 2007, 21:33
Schumacher has thrown his hat into the ring to fill the McLaren Formula One drive vacated by Fernando Alonso.
"It's no secret that the seat at McLaren-Mercedes is by far the most coveted there is," the German told Bild am Sonntag newspaper.

"Every driver out there in the market would love to sit in their super car."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7111752.stm

raikk
25th November 2007, 23:12
Schumacher has thrown his hat into the ring to fill the McLaren Formula One drive vacated by Fernando Alonso.
"It's no secret that the seat at McLaren-Mercedes is by far the most coveted there is," the German told Bild am Sonntag newspaper.

"Every driver out there in the market would love to sit in their super car."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7111752.stm

you forgot to say it was the lesser one :rolleyes:

Zico
25th November 2007, 23:45
Yeah.. ;)

Valve Bounce
26th November 2007, 00:17
Had me fooled for awhile. Still, I'd love to see SchM in the McLaren. That would be one helluva team.

Schultz
26th November 2007, 02:25
The idea of Ralph getting that seat is as implausible as Michael getting it, as far as I am concerned.

Hawkmoon
26th November 2007, 03:10
I think McLaren should consider it.

Seriously, who's a better available alternative? Everybody other than Ralf and Fisichella are under contract. Why spend a fortune trying to buy out the contract of a guy who's potentially just as a fast as Hamilton (Rosberg) and causing a repeat of the internal strife we saw this year.

Sticking Ralf in the car will achieve a number of things:

1. Puts a German, and a Schumacher at that, in a Mercedes powered and owned team.
2. Puts an experienced Grand Prix winner who's no real threat to Hamilton in the other car. Motivate him by paying for points and the fast Ralf from the Williams days comes back.
3. He would take a short term deal I'm sure, leaving a McLaren seat open for 2009 when some of the top guys are off-contract.

As a short term solution I think Ralf fits. He'd be better than De La Rosa anyway.

tinchote
26th November 2007, 04:59

Seriously, who's a better available alternative? Everybody other than Ralf and Fisichella are under contract. Why spend a fortune trying to buy out the contract of a guy who's potentially just as a fast as Hamilton (Rosberg) and causing a repeat of the internal strife we saw this year.

1. Puts a German, and a Schumacher at that, in a Mercedes powered and owned team.
2. Puts an experienced Grand Prix winner who's no real threat to Hamilton in the other car. Motivate him by paying for points and the fast Ralf from the Williams days comes back.
3. He would take a short term deal I'm sure, leaving a McLaren seat open for 2009 when some of the top guys are off-contract.

As a short term solution I think Ralf fits. He'd be better than De La Rosa anyway.

I have to say that sounds reasonable. But the way teams decide on their drivers doesn't look that rational at times ;) :p :

ArrowsFA1
26th November 2007, 08:30
As a short term solution I think Ralf fits.
I hadn't thought of Ralf at McLaren but I can see your logic :up:

MAX_THRUST
26th November 2007, 08:54
It does seem to make a lot of sense, when you think about it.......

That'll probably mean it won't happen. Would be good for Merc, for Ralph, the team, and even good for Lewis. I don't feel like there is anything from the team right now, but Ralph is definately thrown his name into the mix, to see what response he gets.

Ralph has to be a better choice than Fisi.......

Valve Bounce
26th November 2007, 10:11
I hadn't thought of Ralf at McLaren but I can see your logic :up:

Me too!! but I just couldn't quite grasp it.

SGWilko
26th November 2007, 11:33
Surely the title of this thread ought to be the kind of thing you see written on thin strips of paper that you find in a Christmas Cracker.

Had me chuckling..................

Now, where's that paper hat........... ;)

ioan
26th November 2007, 11:36

Good points. And thus Ralf would finish his career on a high.

555-04Q2
26th November 2007, 11:48
I cant see Ralfie driving at Maclaren. He is just not good enough anymore (if he ever was ).

markabilly
26th November 2007, 13:04
Seems I heard this very same rumor right after FA left, and the official line from Ralf's own manager was after a polite inquiry, the answer was NOT interested from Mac

So what has changed? nothing, unless Mercedes is saying we are interested....no matter RD

And no there is no truth that i will be taking the job, as I turned them down to keep driving the mini-van to take the kids to school

keysersoze
26th November 2007, 13:15
I suggested this scenario several weeks ago. After his exit from Toyota, and subsequent lack of attention from other teams, I believe the German is quite motivated, and we all know he's capable. I actually think he would push Lewis quite hard.

But although I know he's an outside bet, I'm still pulling for Fisi.

GP-M3
27th November 2007, 00:12
I think McLaren should consider it....

Agreed! That's how I've been looking at it.

Valve Bounce
27th November 2007, 01:48
For goodness sake!! This guy was cut by Toyota, and you want Ron Dennis to take Toyota's rejects?? There would be a line of good drivers ready to pounce on the vacant McLaren seat who have much better potential than Ralfie, not to mention they could possibly be better than Ralfie now.

Now if you are talking about SchM, then I would be enthusiastic because I think he'd star first up and win races and the WDC next year.

Also, there is the issue of remuneration. Ralfie isn't going to get the megabucks like he used to anymore. In fact, he might have to bring sponsors before he can land a decent drive in F1.

Better he go race saloons.

gloomyDAY
27th November 2007, 02:19
Ralf is s.o.l. (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=S.O.L.)

There is no way he can compete in F1 anymore. Not with the amount of talent pouring out of GP 2 and other series.

Hawkmoon made a great argument, but I don't think that Ron will consider Ralf as a choice. Pedro is more likely to gain that seat than Ralf.

Valve Bounce
27th November 2007, 02:52
I thought that Heiki was going to fill the vacant position at McLaren. Unless SchM makes himself available, of course.

SGWilko
27th November 2007, 10:19
Ron should just unbolt FA's old seat, pack it up and post it to RS.

That we, he can say he got the McLaren seat..........

Doh!

passmeatissue
27th November 2007, 10:35
Ralph makes too many silly mistakes, some of them involving his teammates I seem to recall. One of the striking things about last year was that this didn't happen among the top four (just a bit of shoving between Felipe and Fernando). Ralph would be a real step backwards.

jso1985
27th November 2007, 19:48
For goodness sake!! This guy was cut by Toyota, and you want Ron Dennis to take Toyota's rejects?? .

If Ron is looking for a driver who won't out-pace his golden boy, then Ralf is a really good choice.

Valve Bounce
27th November 2007, 23:52
If Ron is looking for a driver who won't out-pace his golden boy, then Ralf is a really good choice.

He already has Pedro :rolleyes:

SGWilko
28th November 2007, 10:14

I don't think that is the issue, LH was already as fast as, if not a little faster but less refined, than FA.

If RD wants to run two cars equally, he needs another driver who can challenge and push Lewis doesn't he?

Now, Ralf can do that on a good day, unfortunately Ralf's good days and F1 race weekends never seem to coincide very often these days...... :p :

passmeatissue
28th November 2007, 11:53
Apparently Ralf is to test for Force India at Jerez alongside Klien, Liuzzi etc. so we may get an idea how quick he is these days.

This is presumably an indicator that he hasn't got much encouragement from Ron.

Having worked with him at Jordan and Toyota, Mike Gascoigne was quoted as saying he would leave if Ralf arrived. Mallya must really like him, Gascoigne really not like him...

Poor start for Vijay Mallya, I feel, to risk Gascoigne for Ralf.

gjalie
28th November 2007, 12:13
Apparently Ralf is to test for Force India at Jerez alongside Klien, Liuzzi etc. so we may get an idea how quick he is these days.

Having worked with him at Jordan and Toyota, Mike Gascoigne was quoted as saying he would leave if Ralf arrived. Mallya must really like him, Gascoigne really not like him...

not alone Ralf but also Fisichella and Montangy will test force india

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2007/11/28/fisichella-montagny-and-schumacher-to-test-with-force-india/

Zico
28th November 2007, 16:01

Yep, I agree with those who say he shouldnt be considered for the Mac seat, While it may suit the German connection I dont think that should be a valid reason alone for considering him for the job. I actually agree with Bernies recent comment Re- Ralf and Fisi testing with Team India.

"They ought to give very serious consideration whether it makes sense to move into a less competitive environment. Maybe if they change teams, they'll get a bit of a wake-up call.
Both have been for quite a time in decent teams and should have performed better than they had,"

(Ecclestone, Auto Motor und Sport)

Zee

keysersoze
28th November 2007, 16:21
Bernie has no right to suggest that a man may not pursue that which makes him happy or makes him a salary. What an arrogant prix. Fisi and Ralf can and should do what they damn well please, and if Force India wants to hire them, well, that's their perogative as well. Ecclestone can shut his wrinkly yap. If they are fast enough they should be able to get any seat they can. If they get out-quicked by Luizzi or Klein or Sutil then Force India can decide, not BE.

Nikki Katz
28th November 2007, 20:27
Bernie has no right to suggest that a man may not pursue that which makes him happy or makes him a salary. What an arrogant prix.
Hehe :)
Of course, Bernie would never do anything just for the money...

FIA
28th November 2007, 22:35
Ralf can want all he wants.

It's going to Heikki.

jso1985
29th November 2007, 23:39
That's why I say Ron is actually going for Rubens ;) , not faster than Hammie and F1's only true lap dog(sadly)

30th November 2007, 16:36
I don't think that he will get that seat because Mclaren probably won't want him as he has'nt won a race for a long time.

Tazio
30th November 2007, 17:28
Ralph makes too many silly mistakes, some of them involving his teammates I seem to recall. One of the striking things about last year was that this didn't happen among the top four (just a bit of shoving between Felipe and Fernando). Ralph would be a real step backwards.
I agree. Putting that guy at the sharp end would be worse than putting Sato in that seat

Easy Drifter
30th November 2007, 17:54
I think Ron should give him a Mclaren seat. He could have a choice of Alonso's, Kimi's, Juan's or DC's. None would fit him but who cares, he isn't going to be in the car any way. :angel:

jens
5th December 2007, 19:22
I think there is not much to speculate about as McLaren has already quite clearly hinted that they are not interested in Ralf.

I'm a bit surprised that people have become a bit more positive about Ralf than a few months before :p : - as whenever Ralf was mentioned, it was mainly said with highly negative shade. I personally wouldn't have a problem with seeing Ralf at McLaren - the only aspect that would slightly interfere me is that... as Trulli has at least matched Ralf during their time together at Toyota, then it's Ralf, who gets into a better team, and not Jarno. :(

passmeatissue
5th December 2007, 20:00
I watched Shanghai again recently - Ralf span on his own in the first corner, got going then hit Liuzzi by turning in no more than half way past, putting him out and spinning again himself, then finally fell off at the last corner and retired. They might as well have put Richard Hammond in the car.

ioan
5th December 2007, 23:20
I watched Shanghai again recently - Ralf span on his own in the first corner, got going then hit Liuzzi by turning in no more than half way past, putting him out and spinning again himself, then finally fell off at the last corner and retired. They might as well have put Richard Hammond in the car.

At least he didn't go off the tarmac while running on the pit entry road at slow speed! :p : :D

Valve Bounce
6th December 2007, 05:09
Ralf unhappy : http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=33498

SGWilko
6th December 2007, 09:21
At least he didn't go off the tarmac while running on the pit entry road at slow speed! :p : :D

No, Ralf managed it on the track, where there was LOTS more grip, and I think his tyres still had rubber and groves on them, but correct me if I am wrong......... :p : :D

passmeatissue
6th December 2007, 09:36

I thought briefly you were making an effort to grow up ioan. The discussion is about Ralf.

You were complaining about the threads not being interesting for you, why not start a Hamilton Hateboy thread? See who joins you on it?

pino
6th December 2007, 09:45
Quit the personal attacks thank you...

passmeatissue
6th December 2007, 09:49
Quit the personal attacks thank you...

Sorry...my apologies, ioan.

SGWilko
6th December 2007, 09:54
Sorry...my apologies, ioan.

Pino, while it is nice to know that at least some of us are adult enough to apologise, that was not a personal attack at all, but a very clear and correct observation by Passmeatissue.

pino
6th December 2007, 10:45
Pino, while it is nice to know that at least some of us are adult enough to apologise, that was not a personal attack at all, but a very clear and correct observation by Passmeatissue.

I thought briefly you were making an effort to grow up ioan.

That is a personal attack...in my book ;)

SGWilko
6th December 2007, 10:49
That is a personal attack...in my book ;)

See, the way I look at it, is this.

If you call someone a 'see you next tuesday', then yep, that's a personal attack (although some of the folk on my train this morning fit that description rather well.... ;)

I saw the - I thought you were attempting to grow up - more as an observation.

Just my opinion you understand. Much as some folk see the cup half empty, others see it as half full.......

NB some comments on here are VERY childish at times, and you can tell they are intended to provoke......... Must make your day less than dull, albeit a thankless task.

passmeatissue
6th December 2007, 11:55
Apparently the Force India test is not going well for Ralf, first a technical problem stopped him on track, and he has now crashed at turn 8.

Zico
6th December 2007, 12:06
Apparently the Force India test is not going well for Ralf, first a technical problem stopped him on track, and he has now crashed at turn 8.

Worst possible scenario for him, not looking good unless it wasnt a driver error. The end of Ralphs F1 career?

passmeatissue
6th December 2007, 12:36
Worst possible scenario for him, not looking good unless it wasnt a driver error. The end of Ralphs F1 career?

Considering also that Mike Gascoyne has said he will leave if Ralf joins...

if he tops the timesheets today on grooves with the 09 aero, he might have a slight chance :p

SGWilko
6th December 2007, 14:09
Considering also that Mike Gascoyne has said he will leave if Ralf joins...

if he tops the timesheets today on grooves with the 09 aero, he might have a slight chance :p

Get the team chef to cook up a really hot ruby, for Ralf to eat the night before. When the old Delhi belly kicks in during the test he'll get a move on. Or is that why he parked it in the barrier...... ;)

passmeatissue
6th December 2007, 14:31
Get the team chef to cook up a really hot ruby, for Ralf to eat the night before. When the old Delhi belly kicks in during the test he'll get a move on. Or is that why he parked it in the barrier...... ;)

Maybe that's what he did and it's backfiring, because now he has crashed again at the same corner! :eek: And was .5 slower than Liuzzi in the sister car, in last place. (at 15:20 local time).

I think Gascoyne will still be there next year.

SGWilko
6th December 2007, 14:40
Maybe that's what he did and it's backfiring, because now he has crashed again at the same corner! :eek: And was .5 slower than Liuzzi in the sister car, in last place. (at 15:20 local time).

I think Gascoyne will still be there next year.

Man, someone should tell him he is supposed to be making a GOOD impression.

Doh! :laugh:

SGWilko
6th December 2007, 15:02
GOOD impression.

Doh! :laugh:

And I don't mean in the armco!!! :D

W8&C
7th December 2007, 00:45
According to German TV Ralph admits, that today could have been his last day in F1. Allegedly he´s thinking about that move since midseason. Only if he gets a decent drive – blablabla...

Oh Ralph, I´ll miss your blasé face and your arrogant attitude...

W8&C
7th December 2007, 00:47
According to German TV Ralph admits, that today could have been his last day in F1. Allegedly he´s thinking about that move since midseason. Only if he gets a decent drive – blablabla...

Oh Ralph, I´ll miss your blasé face and your arrogant attitude!

samehere
13th December 2007, 15:47

thats all fine but do not forget ralf is not cheap but he is really weak ....and thats the thing here: Who would take a weak driver for 20mil??maybe toyota but they have learned they lesson and and you can be sure they will never ever sign a driver just because hi is a brother of a world champion :P

ioan
13th December 2007, 16:11
thats all fine but do not forget ralf is not cheap but he is really weak ....and thats the thing here: Who would take a weak driver for 20mil??maybe toyota but they have learned they lesson and and you can be sure they will never ever sign a driver just because hi is a brother of a world champion :P

Are you talking about the same weak driver who won as many races as a certain Montoya?! :rolleyes:

odykas
15th December 2007, 18:32
He can get Alonso's seat anytime

http://www.xiphi.com/ebay/alonmcl1.jpg

Jag_Warrior
15th December 2007, 18:53
Ralf Schumacher wants McLaren seat !

And I want to play a game of Twister with Kelly Hu and the Dahm triplets.

But I'm not holding my breath... and neither should Ralfie. :dozey: