PDA

View Full Version : PWRc and N4 in Wales, impressive entries

ZequeArgentina
21st November 2007, 00:12
People, I always wathc JRC and PWRC besides the most impotant WRC results.

And obviously ver y interested in my countrymate Gabriel Pozzo´s possibility to retake PWRC crown if he wins in Wales.

Looking at the entry list, I found some impressive names right there in PWRC but also N4.

Here are the ONES I SELECTED AS FASTETES OR ONES TO WATCH, grouped inn what I consider "speed groups (considering it is in Wales and cars they will run):

1st group of candidates for victory (fastests):
1. Guy Wilks Lancer (guest driver at PWRC with a Mitsubishi UK rally team car)
2. Gwyundaf Evans Lancer (guest driver at PWRC with a Mitsubishi UK rally team car)
3. Nial McShea Imprezza
4. David Higgins Imprezza
5. Mark Higgins Lancer

2nd group (just right there, could also fight for the win):
6. Juho Hanninen Lancer
7. Gabriel Pozzo Lancer
8. Patrick Flodin Imprezza
9. Armindo Araujo Lancer
10. Barry Clark
11. Evgeni Vertunov Imprezza
12. Michal Kosciuszko Punto Super 2000
13. Alessandro Bettega Lancer

3rd gorup (interesting to watch, with good background, we can expect something good from them):
14. Mirco Baldacci Lancer
15. Jasper Van Den Heuvel Lancer
16. Stuart Jones MG S2000
17. Kuzaj Imprezza
18. Andreas Aigner Lancer
19. Martin Rauam
20. Travis Pastrana Imprezza
21. Philip Morrow Lancer
22. Martin Prokop Lancer
23. Evgeni Novikov Imprezza

23 very interesting drivers and performances to watch, PWRC title definition, good opportunity to meassure Punto S2000 agianst top drivers in top N4 cars , and see MS S2000 development.

For my interest, Pozzo has an extremely difficult chance (first tiem in Wales), but if he wants the title he has to gain it!!!

noel157
21st November 2007, 00:23
Andy Aigner should be in the 2nd group, no?

ZequeArgentina
21st November 2007, 00:52
Well, from my point of view, in tarmac he is for sure (even in forst group), in gravel just a little down, not at Haninen or Flodin pace´s for example.

May be I should have done 4 groups.

Mirek
21st November 2007, 01:54
Do You remember for example Greece where Aigner and Hanninen were able to fight with Arai for the victory. They all had bad luck but the times were very good. Also Prokop was very good because it was his only start on gravel with 4WD and he made 10 top 3 finishes and 2 stage wins!

I think You simply underestimate many drivers. I wouldn't make such tips ;)

ZequeArgentina
21st November 2007, 02:55
That is not a ranking a speed, I mentionesd drivers who should do very well, or are interesting to watch.
I made some groups just to show IMO speed (mostly groups 1 and 2), in third I say "ones to watch", for instance I have no knowledge of russian champion Novikov.

The idea was to point out how many interesting drivers there will be. May be the separation in groups may be missunderstand (or better, I did not explained myself quite well)

Xsara Fan
21st November 2007, 07:11
I think that Novikov could be the main surprise from all N4 drivers. He is the vice-champion of the 2007 Russian rally championship and the winner of the 2006 Russian rally cup. And he is the only one man who had a fight for win with Anton Alen in IRC`s Vyborg 2007...

FYI Vertunov is much slower than Novikov... Everybody in Russia & Estonia is slower... :)

LP
21st November 2007, 11:57
yes, but you need to finish a rally in order to call yourself faster than everybody else ;)

AlfaWRC
21st November 2007, 12:04
Will be indeed a great competition in Wales. Really looking forward to it.

In my opinion:
Andy Aigner to group 1!!!.
David Higgins and Nial McShea will be behind him & he will be one of those who will fight for the podium.

Josti
21st November 2007, 12:16
Since the World Rally Championship is decided more or less, my focus will also be on the PWRC this time. I expect Evans to be very quick, but the field is so strong that it's hard to predict. I don't want to rule out v/d Heuvel too, 3td in Ireland and these Welsh roads suit him good considering his driving style.

BTW, I notice the PWRC is totally overpowering JRC in terms of competition and drivers. It's pretty clear S1600 won't last long anymore.

MJW
21st November 2007, 12:55
British Championship Mitsu's of Wilks and Gwyndaf have been a bit "fragile" - but speed will be definately there from these two. I can not see anyone outside GB or Scandinavia "winning PCWRC" on this rally.

Tom206wrc
21st November 2007, 13:00
Yeah...I'm still sad there are no 207s whereas there will be two Grande Puntos(and an MG) in PWRC on this event :(

Xsara Fan
21st November 2007, 14:19
yes, but you need to finish a rally in order to call yourself faster than everybody else ;)

I agree with you! http://e-artteam.com/content/view/14/30/lang,en/

Mirek
21st November 2007, 14:44
I don't think that two off roads in such huge number of rallys is too much. That happens... especialy to such young driver.

Xsara Fan
21st November 2007, 14:49
]I don't think that two off roads in such huge number of rallys is too much. That happens... especialy to such young driver.

Men from 'Red Bull' think the same as you! Next year Novikov (at 99%) will have their sponsoring in IRC...

Viktory
21st November 2007, 17:10
I hope Flodin has a trouble free run. He has been lightning quick, but always had a problem or done a mistake.

SubaruNorway
21st November 2007, 18:11
The final round in the British Rally Championship run's there so thats part of the reason for the impressive entry

ZequeArgentina
21st November 2007, 22:35
N4 cars area bit fragile for anxious drivers. They are fast, but limited preparation make them fragile (even they are much toughter than 5 or 10 years ago).
Driving quick but knowing where to keep the car looks to be the key for PWRC

Another issue: Higgins mentioned in crash.net that rules regarding tres for BRC and PWRC are different. Does anyone know in which sense? amount? election of tyres?<I guess it is the last point (PWRC requires that you nominate amount of each type of tyres in advance).

I am sure bih Higgins, Mc Shea, Wils and Evans are the one to lead from the start.
Still do no know how could Pozzo manage to win here (flat out sicne the start, even first tiem in UK, or waitn for the rest to fall? th problem is that he would need a lot of drivers to have big problems)

Wim_Impreza
22nd November 2007, 10:27
Nice list, ZequeArgentina.

I will also support Pozzo, his performance in Ireland was excellent. It will be nearly impossible to fight for the victory and the PWRC crown, but as we have seen this year, there can much happen in the PWRC. I think Pozzo can better start a bit slow on the first day and go flat out in the second and third day, because surely there will be a big fight for the lead at the first day between the British drivers.

Finni
22nd November 2007, 10:41
too many englishman above Juho Hänninen. :) Araujo could surprise. I remember he was excellent in muddy condition in rally of Portugal few years ago.

White Sauron
22nd November 2007, 11:17
Novikov sux. Vertunov will beat him.

JAM
22nd November 2007, 11:43
too many englishman above Juho Hänninen. :) Araujo could surprise. I remember he was excellent in muddy condition in rally of Portugal few years ago.

You're right. Armindo usually make good rallyes in slipery conditions.

LP
22nd November 2007, 11:49
Men from 'Red Bull' think the same as you! Next year Novikov (at 99%) will have their sponsoring in IRC...

is it clear what car will he drive? information on russian sites showed, taht they are going to have some comparison testing of both n4 and super2000

Xsara Fan
22nd November 2007, 16:14
is it clear what car will he drive? information on russian sites showed, taht they are going to have some comparison testing of both n4 and super2000

Yep. But for the moment I don`t know nothing new. E-Art team has problems with N4 cars (both Mitsubishi and Subaru were rolled in october).

Flyinglex
22nd November 2007, 16:26
Novikov sux. Vertunov will beat him.

I imagined this ltteraly :D :D :D /

Actualy it looks like you have telepatic skills, eh?

ZequeArgentina
23rd November 2007, 13:26
Vertunov has shown god pace in unknown ralllies and is one of the possible candidates for 2008 PWRC title (depending if he continues and who else does).

Irealy know nothing about Novikov bu his backgorund looks very promising for thsi young driver.

How old is Vertunov?
I ve just noticed that Wales will be the second rally he repeats in the WRC (he did last year Wales in a Fiesta ST), and the other one he had run before he did quite well (and finish 2nd). May be I should expect much from him.

Andrey
23rd November 2007, 16:59
Vertunov is 24 year old, Novikov only 17

dimviii
23rd November 2007, 19:46
i would not be surprised if Novikov leads from start...
i guess that rally of GB is going to be the best in terms of pwrc for 2007 :D

also i would move Aigner in 1st group.
here in Greece was the fastest when his mitsu was ok, and very spectacular!! :D

c4
25th November 2007, 02:04
McShea not competing due to lack of funds. David Higgins will take his entry in an Autotek Motorsport Imprezza, according to MSN.

N.O.T
25th November 2007, 04:19
Hmmm i would like to see how Novikov performs for sure in this unknown event....his outing in rally Russia was impressive for as long it lasted.....

ZequeArgentina
25th November 2007, 15:54
McShea not competing due to lack of funds. David Higgins will take his entry in an Autotek Motorsport Imprezza, according to MSN.

So David Higgins nominated for PWRC points instead of McShea.
Quite the same, David is also a fast driver (quite as McShea in Wales??)

Karbonyl
25th November 2007, 17:20
How comes that Novikov will run in IRC when he is only 17? Is it allowed to compete in this age in IRC or PWRC?

Wim_Impreza
25th November 2007, 17:25
So David Higgins nominated for PWRC points instead of McShea.
Quite the same, David is also a fast driver (quite as McShea in Wales??)

McShea is faster in Wales, but David Higgins is not a bad choice too.

Pille
25th November 2007, 18:41
Novikov is fast but tends to crash a lot. I don't think he'll make it to the finish.

LP
25th November 2007, 18:50
How comes that Novikov will run in IRC when he is only 17? Is it allowed to compete in this age in IRC or PWRC?

he will be 18 and will get his license before the start of the next IRC season, if I'm not mistaking :)

dimviii
25th November 2007, 18:52
i don t think either that Novikov can make it to the finish line :confused:

but at 17 years old you can not wait such excellent results
for me if he is among 3 faster crews at pwrc till he retired? it is enough to see if his speed is ''true'' with competitors like Aigner/Pozzo/Higgins etc
don t forget that even Bosse/Loeb last 3 months have a lot of retirements due to exit of the road. :p :

Karbonyl
25th November 2007, 19:26
he will be 18 and will get his license before the start of the next IRC season, if I'm not mistaking :) He will be 18 at 19th of september 2008 - quite late for beginning the season :)

Martin-MC
25th November 2007, 20:59
Phillip Morrow could be a lot higher than group three you have him in.
All the Brits competing that are also scoring PCWRC points and BRC points like the Higgins brothers are also on a BRC control tyre thats widly aknowledged as being inferior to whats used in the PCWRC.

Langdale Forest
25th November 2007, 21:35
Car 130 and 131 are also N4 cars, but I don't think they will be very fast.
Sola is in a Honda Civic-type r. Why are some S2000 cars N4 and some are A7? Is there a performance diferance?

The Britiah championship will also be very intresting.
How many drivers can still win it?

Jaanus
25th November 2007, 21:40
Honda Civic is not an s2000 it is R3 car. Similar to the Renault Clio used by Sandell in JRC this year.

Langdale Forest
25th November 2007, 21:41
Is the Peugot 207 also an R3 car?
Can the Honda or Peugot enter the JWRC?

Mirek
25th November 2007, 22:28
Peugeot 207 is S2000, that is 4x4. Can't enter JRC but PWRC is possible.

Honda Civic is R3, FWD, can't enter PWRC but JRC is possible.

L5-&gt;R5/CR
26th November 2007, 06:28
I think Pastrana will be seriously out gunned by the more experienced teams at WRGB but I am really excited to see how he does in the PWRC as well!

Langdale Forest
26th November 2007, 08:08
]Peugeot 207 is S2000, that is 4x4. Can't enter JRC but PWRC is possible.

Honda Civic is R3, FWD, can't enter PWRC but JRC is possible.

Is there a big performance differance?

Josti
26th November 2007, 09:04
I think Pastrana will be seriously out gunned by the more experienced teams at WRGB but I am really excited to see how he does in the PWRC as well!

Will he do PWRC next year? I mean, there's been talks about him for quite a while now , being America's hope for Rallying. About time he will show something I think. I'm sure money ain't the problem.

Mirek
26th November 2007, 14:57
Langdale Forest: Yes, it is. Both are very different cars. R3 is much cheaper and of course slower (actualy worse than S1600 but cheaper). S2000 are better than production cars and more expensive as well. These two classes are completely different and they also have different target in rally cars market. One as a top car outside WRC world and the second a car for young drivers competetitive enough and not expensive too much but without overal winning ambitions.

L5-&gt;R5/CR
26th November 2007, 15:21
Will he do PWRC next year? I mean, there's been talks about him for quite a while now , being America's hope for Rallying. About time he will show something I think. I'm sure money ain't the problem.

All indications are that he will do a proper campaign.

IMO the biggest thing he needs is experience with recce and with the WRC events in general. We run very few recce events in the US so it has been hard to get really good notes at the previous rounds. I think there are also some struggles going from the sweeping or having just swept roads that he is used to in the US running at the front of the pack versus the big ruts and how you have to drive the big ruts in the PWRC.

I think he will have some good results in 2008 and might factor into some podiums or event wins in 2009. I think he has the raw speed and the talent, just need to get it refined and polished enough in the PWRC competitive environment for the results to reflect it.

Perhaps his co-driver may post to confirm the program?

Fiorio
26th November 2007, 16:55
forget

Langdale Forest
27th November 2007, 08:24
Are all N4 cars 4x4?
Can all N4 cars enter the PWRC?

Josti
27th November 2007, 08:54
Are all N4 cars 4x4?
Can all N4 cars enter the PWRC?

1. Normally yes (PWRC always)

2. Yes

Mirek
27th November 2007, 10:49
Josti: Don't You have a FWD N4 Seat Leon in Netherlands? But it would make a big mess in Langdale Forrest's head :)

Josti
27th November 2007, 11:37
]Josti: Don't You have a FWD N4 Seat Leon in Netherlands? But it would make a big mess in Langdale Forrest's head :)

Yes, that's why I said they're normally 4x4 :)

You also have VW Golf's and Skoda Fabia's (Fwd) N4 version if I'm correct. On second thought, I'm not sure if they're eligible for PWRC. But I think a standard car is a standard car, so they could be allowed to enter the series. Then again, who would bother.

Mirek
27th November 2007, 13:50
I don't know Fabia N4... maybe somewhere they treat Fabia TDI as N4 or A8 because of turbo but in our country it is A7. There is old Octavia N4 (1.8T) which is 4x4 but slow...

pantealex
27th November 2007, 15:37
N4 in WRC events means group N over 2000cm3 (+S2000 cars), car could be FWD (golf tdi, ibiza tdi, fabia tdi, astra td), RWD (bmw 120d) or 4WD

Raini
29th November 2007, 00:40
I think that Novikov could be the main surprise from all N4 drivers. He is the vice-champion of the 2007 Russian rally championship and the winner of the 2006 Russian rally cup. And he is the only one man who had a fight for win with Anton Alen in IRC`s Vyborg 2007...

FYI Vertunov is much slower than Novikov... Everybody in Russia & Estonia is slower... :)

Only one estonian was faster than Novikov in summary of the year... :cool:

Xsara Fan
29th November 2007, 02:57
Only one estonian was faster than Novikov in summary of the year... :cool:

No. He just finished more times than Novikov ;)

RallyfanNZ
29th November 2007, 03:45
Another one to watch is Hayden Paddon from NZ. First time rallying outside the country. Second in the National Championship (by 1 point, won two rally's outright against Richard Mason who was setting top times in PWRC at NZ).

Hayden likes fast roads so they should be to his liking. I'll be keeping my eyes on his times.

He should give the European drivers a real eye opening. (I hope) :)

ZequeArgentina
30th November 2007, 01:38
Another one to watch is Hayden Paddon from NZ. First time rallying outside the country. Second in the National Championship (by 1 point, won two rally's outright against Richard Mason who was setting top times in PWRC at NZ).

Hayden likes fast roads so they should be to his liking. I'll be keeping my eyes on his times.

He should give the European drivers a real eye opening. (I hope) :)

Lets keep an eye on him so.

thsi is what I like of PWRC whith this entries, not only 10 WRC are interesting but some 20 other cars also!!

Doug Woods
30th November 2007, 04:52
....this is what I like of PWRC with this entry, not only 10 WRC are interesting but some 20 other cars also!!

Yes, I agree. The only difference is that I do not even follow the WRC cars during the event. Perhaps, I look to see who is winning but that is all.

I will, of course, be following Pastrana. It will be interesting to see how he does.

RallyfanNZ
30th November 2007, 05:28
I will, of course, be following Pastrana. It will be interesting to see how he does.

Its always hard to say.

Block has won some American events over Pastrana, Block was beaten by nearly 2 minutes at Nelson Rally in NZ by Hayden Paddon who won. Hayden also beat Richard Mason (3rd PWRC RallyNZ 06) at Nelson. Paddon was running neck and neck with Arai at second split on Stage 2 of RallyNZ before gearbox problems.

So your guess is as good as mine. Its just too hard to tell because neither both Pastrana or Paddon have done Rally GB before.

Wim_Impreza
30th November 2007, 08:21
Its always hard to say.

Block has won some American events over Pastrana, Block was beaten by nearly 2 minutes at Nelson Rally in NZ by Hayden Paddon who won. Hayden also beat Richard Mason (3rd PWRC RallyNZ 06) at Nelson. Paddon was running neck and neck with Arai at second split on Stage 2 of RallyNZ before gearbox problems.

So your guess is as good as mine. Its just too hard to tell because neither both Pastrana or Paddon have done Rally GB before.

I must say that Hayden Paddon has suprised me a lot in your national championship. I hope he can do well, like in Rally New Zealand. Off course the opportunity here is bigger, especially in PWRC. I have also a question: on Rallybase.nl stays that his codriver John Kennard is from GB, but on the New Zealand rally results and on ewrc.cz, it seems he is from New Zealand. Which one is correct?

Carlo
30th November 2007, 09:07
I must say that Hayden Paddon has suprised me a lot in your national championship. I hope he can do well, like in Rally New Zealand. Off course the opportunity here is bigger, especially in PWRC. I have also a question: on Rallybase.nl stays that his codriver John Kennard is from GB, but on the New Zealand rally results and on ewrc.cz, it seems he is from New Zealand. Which one is correct?

John is from New Zealand

Wim_Impreza
30th November 2007, 09:09
Thank you. :)

RallyfanNZ
30th November 2007, 10:09

Hehe. Yeah John has worked for the SWRT before in Britain and has experience co-driving in Britain I think. (Could have caused the confusion) So it should help Hayden as he is a damn good co-driver. When he reads the notes he oozes confidence.

Its not so surprising for the likes of Carlo and I. I saw him driving a Toyota Levin in 2004 at the ripe age of 16/17 and he oozed talent. His PR skills have improved tenfold since then. He would be perfect in the WRC. He has always excelled in everything he has pedaled.

Wim_Impreza
30th November 2007, 10:37
Thanks also, RallyfanNZ.

RallyfanNZ
1st December 2007, 00:51
Hayden sent me a text saying that he bent the front wheel 45degrees after he hit a hole (dug up by cars ahead) on the line of a tight left hander (no fault of his own). Was 5secs behind D.Higgens at the time. Will be rejoining tomorrow so will be interested to see how he goes.

efe-e
1st December 2007, 04:05
Are there any news about Stuart Jones? This is first gravel rally of MG S2000 and his first rally with his co-driver.

RallyfanNZ
1st December 2007, 05:59
Is he still going?

ProRally
1st December 2007, 08:40
Are there any news about Stuart Jones? This is first gravel rally of MG S2000 and his first rally with his co-driver.

Good well, he is 25 overall and 10 in PWRC, reported no major problems yesterday. Like for everybody else the weather was terrible yesterday.
Not bad for a first outing with a MG S2000 in a WRC events, lets hope he can climb up the scoreboard. The car looks really solid so if he keeps it on the road he will gain some places

Josti
1st December 2007, 13:09
Good well, he is 25 overall and 10 in PWRC, reported no major problems yesterday. Like for everybody else the weather was terrible yesterday.
Not bad for a first outing with a MG S2000 in a WRC events, lets hope he can climb up the scoreboard. The car looks really solid so if he keeps it on the road he will gain some places

The car ran in Ireland also. Unimpressive the least, but it's doing quite alright in Wales now. There's potential.

HaCo
1st December 2007, 13:34
Jones was 2nd fastest o ss6, just 1.2sec slower then Evans...

Mirek
1st December 2007, 13:55
HaCo: Stage 6 was such incredible that it said nothing about the pace of the car. The weather was awful and very changeble as well as many drivers had to pass others or were blinded by extra lights of others etc.

HaCo
1st December 2007, 16:39
Oh, ok.
Anyway he is in pos 8 right now. Not that bad if you imagine to what other competitors he is driving right now...

Mirek
1st December 2007, 20:41
I agree, MG looks prommissing on gravel. What a pitty of Stuart's accident.

efe-e
1st December 2007, 21:40
]I agree, MG looks prommissing on gravel. What a pitty of Stuart's accident.

did he crash? when?? ;(

c4
1st December 2007, 21:46
did he crash? when?? ;(

SS12 - co driver taken to hospital with broken clavicle but not serious - see www.walesrallygb.com (http://www.walesrallygb.com) .

COD
1st December 2007, 21:46
did he crash? when?? ;(

Last "proper" stage of today. Co-driver injured. More at crash.net

efe-e
1st December 2007, 22:08
thnx mates

Mirek
1st December 2007, 22:30
Thanks, bad news...

Darren Jones
3rd December 2007, 10:11
Last "proper" stage of today. Co-driver injured. More at crash.net

Was a shame with his accident the power steering went and he couldnt catch the back end, slid off the road at speed but the sump guard dug in ripped it off and did two spins to a stop, Andy damaged his collar bone as the sump guard dug into the ground

it was very promising the times Stuart and the MG were putting in as they had to change the engine thursday night and didnt have enough time to get the timing ect right so had to run the car down on power!

really enjoyed watching saturday, great event and the n4's were very good to watch, time for rest now till 2008 :p :

Mirek
3rd December 2007, 12:26
Thanks, Darren. Will Stuart and Andy start with MG again in the future?

Darren Jones
3rd December 2007, 15:32
Not 100% at the moment but we hope, the family run buisness cant come near to matching the budget the main competitors have in the pwrc, would be a great strain lifted off the family and Stuart as he works flat out mostly on his own to prepare the cars!

Time will tell

Hope more s2000's enter next year it was nice to break up the normal subaru and mitsu group

Also have to say only saw Sola once in the civic in the millenium stadium drove it well and the car was very very good to watch, hope to see more cars like that in the wrc

Mirek
3rd December 2007, 15:41
My best wishes for the future. Thanks for the information ;)

Darren Jones
3rd December 2007, 16:40
Thankyou