PDA

View Full Version : Glock confirmed by Toyota

pino
19th November 2007, 09:32
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64043

I hope soon they will confirm Jarno too :D

F1boat
19th November 2007, 09:47
I hope so, too, but I am happy for Timo, I think that he is a good driver.

petrolhead ben
19th November 2007, 09:50
I'm happy for glock, because he's done well in GP2 and also did quite well when he filled in for pantano in the Jordan in 2004. I wonder how he will compare with trulli, assuming he will be there too of course

Ranger
19th November 2007, 10:04
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64043

I hope soon they will confirm Jarno too :D
They don't need to, he's already signed until 2009. :p :

We'll see how Glock goes. His career progression is pretty wierd though - Jordan F1 to Champ Car, back to GP2 and now with Toyota F1, 4 years after his F1 debut. Haven't seen that one before. :p :

F1boat
19th November 2007, 10:13
He was impressive in GP 2 and solid in Champ Car.

pino
19th November 2007, 10:18
They don't need to, he's already signed until 2009. :p :

That doesn't mean he will be confirmed :p : :(

Ranger
19th November 2007, 10:29
That doesn't mean he will be confirmed :p : :(

But he was already confirmed! :p : One year ago, in fact. Besides, I doubt Toyota will do the double sacking of their most illustrious pair to date.

lanark
19th November 2007, 21:40
He was impressive in GP 2 and solid in Champ Car.

Glock finished a distant 8th to Champ Car Champion Sebastian Bourdais in what was essentially a spec series. He almost won in Montreal but was justly penalized with a lap to go. Anybody who follows Champ Car will be shocked that a driver of Bourdais' caliber(and remember he won the Formula 3000 championship before Briatore black-listed him for not signed a slave/serf management agreement with him) ends up on a dog team like Torro-Rosso, while Glock lands at Toyota (a wretched team,yes, but one with big yen). It's just another reason few of us Yanks take F-1 seriously, anymore.

Who's in court this week?

jso1985
19th November 2007, 23:44
Glock finished a distant 8th to Champ Car Champion Sebastian Bourdais in what was essentially a spec series. He almost won in Montreal but was justly penalized with a lap to go. Anybody who follows Champ Car will be shocked that a driver of Bourdais' caliber(and remember he won the Formula 3000 championship before Briatore black-listed him for not signed a slave/serf management agreement with him) ends up on a dog team like Torro-Rosso, while Glock lands at Toyota (a wretched team,yes, but one with big yen). It's just another reason few of us Yanks take F-1 seriously, anymore.

Who's in court this week?

well Bourdais didn't do that great on his debut year isn't it? and as long as I know even if it's a spec series, the Newman-Haas team has loads of money while the other teams haven't, so it's quite hard to beat the NH cars.
plus winning lesser series isn't much indicative of what they can do in F1. Glock has tested more than Bourdais in F1 so team must have seen something on him. Just remember Zanardi won everything in CART while Alonso wasn't even close to win the F3000 championship

lanark
20th November 2007, 05:45
well Bourdais didn't do that great on his debut year isn't it? and as long as I know even if it's a spec series, the Newman-Haas team has loads of money while the other teams haven't, so it's quite hard to beat the NH cars.
plus winning lesser series isn't much indicative of what they can do in F1. Glock has tested more than Bourdais in F1 so team must have seen something on him. Just remember Zanardi won everything in CART while Alonso wasn't even close to win the F3000 championship

Actually, Bourdais had a splendid rookie year-far better than Timo's. He was consistently the fastest driver in winter testing and won the pole in his first race at St. Petersburg (the last rookie to have done that was a guy named Nigel Mansell). He won three races in his rookie year (Brands Hatch, Eurospeedway-amazingly, his first time racing on a Superspeedway oval-,and Cleveland). He and teammate Bruno Junquiera (another International F3000 champion) lost the title to Canadian Paul Tracy of Forsythe Racing, disproving your assertion that Newman-Haas are all-powerful. In fact Justin Wilson(yet another International F300 champ who never got a fair shake in F1)has been the runner-up to Bourdais the past two seasons and he races for another team. Newman-Haas is a fine team, but the great thing about Champ Car is that even a perennial last place team like Dale Coyne Racing is close enough to the top to score three straight podiums this past season thanks to fine drives by Junquiera.That would be unthinkable in F1. Champ Car is a driver's series. There are any number of decent drivers (including Bourdais and Glock) that you could have put in the Ferrari and McClaren seats this past season and they would finished 1-2-3-4. F1 (like the America's Cup Yachting series) is all about the engineers and designers. Yawn....

stevie_gerrard
22nd November 2007, 01:09
Timo proved his worth last season to have another go at F1, and i hope he does well, but he may have a tough task on his hands with an indifferent toyota team.