PDA

View Full Version : Toro Rosso starts with the old car in the new season

CNR
18th November 2007, 10:30
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.motorsport-total.com%2Ff1%2Fnews%2F2007%2F11%2FToro_Rosso_sta rtet_mit_altem_Auto_in_die_neue_Saison_07111707.ht ml

F1boat
18th November 2007, 12:24
Brave challenge for STR, they will struggle to match their rivals with an old car. Seb's start in F1 might not be glorious.

AJP
20th November 2007, 11:08
Sebs start in F1 was never going to be glorious anyway, what ever torro rosso gives him next year...

F1boat
20th November 2007, 11:51
Well, I dunno. STR were quite fast in the final races.

truefan72
20th November 2007, 18:05
not really,

and this is predictable behaviour from STR

nothing like handicapping your drivers and then complaining about results

when exactly did they install the seamless shifters on their 2007 cars, yes it was in France. I expect 2 unhappy drivers, and unrealistric expectations by ownership, who in their mind, have the best car out thereLOL

petrolhead ben
20th November 2007, 18:34
STR were quite competitive in the wet races in both fuji and shanghai and vettel did quite well in Brazil until he broke down. But starting with their old car could be a risk, especially if the development of their competitors increases be quite a margin which it could.
Although I still think that their driver line up could be potentially quite good. Vettel has shown good speed and fiestyness in the second half of this year although he needs more expierence and matureity to go with it. Bourdais is unknown but shown to be promising in champcar.

Sleeper
20th November 2007, 23:22
not really,

and this is predictable behaviour from STR

nothing like handicapping your drivers and then complaining about results

when exactly did they install the seamless shifters on their 2007 cars, yes it was in France. I expect 2 unhappy drivers, and unrealistric expectations by ownership, who in their mind, have the best car out thereLOL
Thats not quite fair, the team were always kept three or four steps behind RBR in development by the owners of both teams. But your right that much of the blame was rediculusly given to the drivers.

truefan72
21st November 2007, 02:58
Thats not quite fair, the team were always kept three or four steps behind RBR in development by the owners of both teams. But your right that much of the blame was rediculusly given to the drivers.

fair enough

PSfan
21st November 2007, 22:46
I've been thinking, with the attrition that normally occurs in the early races in the season (admittedly less now with the new 19,000 rev limits) and also with the new ECU and ban on TC, this may well be the best time to implement this kind of strategy (Even though I think the it's rather forced on them thanks in part to the customer cars row.)

Plus if they imitate this year and build a car based on the current Red Bull, then it will still benefit from early developments anyways.

CCFanatic
21st November 2007, 22:58

They didn't want to get upset by the smaller team. Like Honda and SA. Maybe Speed and Liuzzi are fast, RB just never let us see that.

Minardi ran 2-3 whole season with pretty much the same car. Only a few changes here and there to keep it within the FIA rulebook.

Sleeper
21st November 2007, 23:49
They didn't want to get upset by the smaller team. Like Honda and SA. Maybe Speed and Liuzzi are fast, RB just never let us see that.

Minardi ran 2-3 whole season with pretty much the same car. Only a few changes here and there to keep it within the FIA rulebook.
I'm not quite sure how much of that is true, but I wouldnt be surprised if there was an element of that in their. STR only got the new car a few weeks before the start of the season, so they only had a few days testing with it. They were never going to challenge with so little testing under their belts.

Also, theres no pretence that STR is anything other than a junior team, so the main development would always be on the RBR's.