PDA

View Full Version : What's your best purchase/buy ever ?

pino
16th November 2007, 12:01
Mine is a Kenwood amplifier Model KA-7002, bought in 1975 :eek: It stil works perfectly except for the headphones connection (never use it anyway) As you can imagine, it's a very heavy model, all metal colored in silver, and I am sure it will last 30 more years :D

Daniel
16th November 2007, 12:37
Mine is a Kenwood amplifier Model KA-7002, bought in 1975 :eek: It stil works perfectly except for the headphones connection (never use it anyway) As you can imagine, it's a very heavy model, all metal colored in silver, and I am sure it will last 30 more years :D
My parents have a Bang & Olufsen system that it about that old. Still works just fine :)

janneppi
16th November 2007, 12:49
My red Haglöfs windstopper fleece, I bought 1997, got it half the price compared to it's normal price and it just this year got demoted off from everyday wear.

janneppi
16th November 2007, 12:49
My red Haglöfs windstopper fleece, I bought 1997, got it half the price compared to it's normal price and it just this year got demoted off from everyday wear.

millencolin
16th November 2007, 13:37
My Black Converse HighTops. They have gotten me through 3 seasons of Basketball, 4 seasons of indoor cricket, 3 years of working as a projectionist, 1 year working in a dvd store, 1 year working in a clothes store as well as 2 high school formals (prom)...

Money well spent

A.F.F.
16th November 2007, 13:42
Makita powerdrill. Now I can srew anything my wife asks me to.

Drew
16th November 2007, 14:17
Either my passport or my Sennheiser headphones :)

wedge
16th November 2007, 14:54
I brought a Transformer toy from Japan a few years ago. It's a Subaru Impreza with full WRC livery. Mine has Mikko Hirvonen on it, but I couldn't find any Petter Solberg ones left even though I travelled up and down Japan.

edv
16th November 2007, 15:00
I flew the Concorde from New York to Paris for $50

slinkster
16th November 2007, 19:21
My best bargain was a really small, radiohead top that I got in a charity shop for about £2.

Some of my best buys I guess have been tickets to concerts/gigs where I've just been totally blown away. Makes it all worth the money.

I've also just bought my boyfriend a Bill Bailey book for christmas and because I was one of the first 200 to buy it, it's an autographed copy, which I thought was pretty cool. :)

Brown, Jon Brow
16th November 2007, 21:34
The custard slice I bought to eat on my break at work. (after I'd reduced it by 50% :D )

Caroline
16th November 2007, 21:51
I guess my house. I bought it at the right time, it would be out of my budget if I were to buy now :)

Caroline
16th November 2007, 21:52
My best purchase was a one way ticket to the UK :)

:)

RallyfanNZ
17th November 2007, 01:45
My Epson Stylus Photo R230 printer.

It prints onto printable DVD's and that just rules. And it was only $140 bucks.

Hazell B
17th November 2007, 08:45
Some of my best buys I guess have been tickets to concerts/gigs where I've just been totally blown away. Makes it all worth the money.

Hadn't thought of that, but it's the same here now you mention it. We had Stereophonics tickets for less than a tenner just before they got well known and it was a fantastic concert. Ditto seeing bands as supports and now they're over-priced headliners.

My home was cheap, and though it still isn't exactly valuable it has cost me (including all the interest and repairs) less than it's worth.

Overall, my pony Sovereign was my best buy. He was £400 from a shed in the centre of Bradford, previously owned by somebody who thought he couldn't jump and wasn't very clever. Within a month he was beating £2000 hunters over cross country courses and giving a lead to highly experienced riders out Hunting. As a teenager he's worth more now than he cost and he's so cheap to keep it's unbelieveable. He's also healed himself happily after breaking a bone in his foot that should have cost his life or six months' costly vet care. He's just a very lucky pony to own :)

tmx
19th November 2007, 11:01
My Magnepan MMG speakers. They bring music to life for me and it's like a symphony at home.

Mark
19th November 2007, 11:08
Probably my car! It takes me places :p

306 Cosworth
19th November 2007, 15:29
My Sony MP3 player, got it brand spanking new for £80 and RRP is £180 although the software to transfer music is absolute shat and it no longer works on my computer so decided to sell it!!

Mark
19th November 2007, 17:04
So it was not a good buy at all :p

jso1985
19th November 2007, 23:13
Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory CD

:D

MrJan
19th November 2007, 23:30
My megaphone for 15 quid off eBay. Never has something provided me with so much satisfaction because of how annoying it is. Seriously if you've never used a megaphone to ask someone 2 feet away to make you a cup of tea then you haven't lived.

From a purely childish viewpoint though the best moment would have to be when I farted into it. I feel very, very bad and quite sad about that but it was funny, and loud :cheese:

iks
19th November 2007, 23:46
some arsenic and a bit of cyanide. :D

millencolin
20th November 2007, 01:55
My Sony MP3 player, got it brand spanking new for £80 and RRP is £180 although the software to transfer music is absolute shat and it no longer works on my computer so decided to sell it!!

That doesn't sound like a good buy at all....

leopard
20th November 2007, 04:31
It could be good buy once we the stuffs were bought, but deciding to sell them when get bored isn't bad decision.

I like music, drawing (as I had to) and modifying bike (and car as long as I could afford), so my good buy would be music and bike related stuffs.

tmx
20th November 2007, 05:41

I would stay away from Sony portable media products, at first they stick with their ATRAC format and now finally decide to support mp3. But as you said, their SonicStage software is terrible.

I had an Archos 604, it is drag and drop, and have support for video, music and photo, removable batteries, it was great, but I don't like their latest products either.

555-04Q2
20th November 2007, 12:05
bought in 1975 :eek: It

Giving your age away there pino :p : You must be ancient :D

pino
20th November 2007, 13:25
Giving your age away there pino :p : You must be ancient :D

Nope, I've started playing music when I was 5 :p :

schmenke
20th November 2007, 15:53
I guess my house. I bought it at the right time, it would be out of my budget if I were to buy now :)

Same here. Four years ago when we purchased I thought it was expensive, but housing prices have more than doubled since :mark:

Storm
21st November 2007, 14:18
Same as Caroline and schmenke...we bought our apartment at the right time in 2004....right now the prices would have screwed us.

Also one of my best buys is my Fender Strat bought few months back :)

Erki
21st November 2007, 17:13
Jaffa Cakes. Always a good investment. :lips:

Garry Walker
21st November 2007, 20:14
I once bought an apartment for xxx sum of money. I had it fixed up a little (VERY LITTLE) and a few years later I sold it for 9,5 times the original price.

leopard
22nd November 2007, 03:10
I once bought an apartment for xxx sum of money.
When did you buy it in only three digits of money? Triple digit always fine :D ;)

rah
22nd November 2007, 05:21
Definately the Datsun Sunny station wagon that I had a while ago. Got it for $100 with 6 mnths rego on it. That thing never failed me and I sold it for $100 bucks after the rego ran out (even after me and a mate tried to get some air on a few bush tracks). Although I did throw in a 120Y to sweeten the deal.

raybak
22nd November 2007, 06:24
My House, bought it at the bottom of the market about 8 years ago, it's worth 4 times what I paid for it now.

Ray

raikk
22nd November 2007, 08:03
my racing kart.. sure the engine blew and cost another 2,000 down the hole.. but it was worth it :) ... introduced me to a whole different world..

schmenke
22nd November 2007, 19:46
I'm sure you could get some good deals on Leafs jerseys now too... :erm: :p :

Camelopard
22nd November 2007, 20:57
Long Johns.....................

FrankenSchwinn
23rd November 2007, 02:39
1981 Honda CB650 hasn't failed me once..... hopefully it'll be the same when i come back to her!

J4MIE
25th November 2007, 16:10
My first flight to Greece in 2003, never looked back since :up:

F1nostalgic
27th November 2007, 15:15
Umm my best purchase...hmm...I am not sure really, I have a few. I think the LiteOn DVD Recorder I bought for £68 at Tescos about March this year is one. It has almost replaced my ageing 7 year old Sharp VCR which still gets used to play existing videocassettes.

anthonyvop
7th December 2007, 03:25
Best purchase ever?

That is easy......My Wife.

Drew
11th December 2007, 18:25
Best purchase ever?

That is easy......My Wife.

Those Russians are certainly worth their weight in gold :p :

leopard
14th December 2007, 07:06
How could the worst be the best purchase also? You will never be able to decide it until you have its comparison ;)

Hazell B
17th December 2007, 19:04
I bought a Spanish pine chest of drawers at an auction on saturday but left it overnight as I was due there the next morning with a bigger trailer anyway. Somebody saw it on the sunday morning and offered me twice the cost there and then.

So, no lifting, no polishing and 100% instant profit :up:

Sometimes it just happens that way :)

pino
12th January 2008, 10:34

My Colin McRae dvd "Rally Legend" arrived, I've just watched and it goes right on top of my list :up: :s mokin:

Pawprint
12th January 2008, 20:06
My megaphone for 15 quid off eBay. Never has something provided me with so much satisfaction because of how annoying it is. Seriously if you've never used a megaphone to ask someone 2 feet away to make you a cup of tea then you haven't lived.

From a purely childish viewpoint though the best moment would have to be when I farted into it. I feel very, very bad and quite sad about that but it was funny, and loud :cheese:

Sounds Great :D

Mine would be either my guitar or my clarinet..... two fabulous things.... Clarinet, £2K, my guitar and all the kit, £150.

A Marshall Stack might be nice :)

Brown, Jon Brow
12th January 2008, 20:36
Sticking with the musical theme I'd say one of my best purchases was this beauty:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb43/jmatthewb/guitar1.jpg

RRP is about £390 I got it for £310 :D

Pawprint
12th January 2008, 22:25
Verrrry nice, JB. I'd prefer a Silver SG with shiny Black highlights..... wow....

But yeah, very nice... You play mucho, then?

Daniel
12th January 2008, 22:30
Sticking with the musical theme I'd say one of my best purchases was this beauty:
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb43/jmatthewb/guitar1.jpg

http://www.guitar.co.uk/guitars/electric/198-les_paul_standard_plustop_electric_guitar

£279 there :p

A word for anyone wanting to check if they're getting a good deal on anything.

Go to froogle.co.uk or froogle.com and check there before you buy ;)

Brown, Jon Brow
13th January 2008, 17:06
http://www.guitar.co.uk/guitars/electric/198-les_paul_standard_plustop_electric_guitar

£279 there :p

A word for anyone wanting to check if they're getting a good deal on anything.

Go to froogle.co.uk or froogle.com and check there before you buy ;)

The thing is Daniel only an idiot would buy a guitar on the internet. For a start you don't get to hold the guitar you buy - each instrument can vary in feel and playability and just as important- when you buy a guitar from a store they set the guitar up for free (innotation, string action etc) , you never know when you buy online if its been set up, a good set up can cost over £20. If anything goes wrong with the guitar within a year the technicians at the store will fix it for free. Plus if I build a good relationship with the store in the future I could get some more nice discounts. :)

You wouldn't buy a car over the internet, the same can be said about a musical intrument. After all a Gibson Les Paul would cost more than a Tata Nano :p

Brown, Jon Brow
13th January 2008, 17:08
Verrrry nice, JB. I'd prefer a Silver SG with shiny Black highlights..... wow....

But yeah, very nice... You play mucho, then?

I also like the look of SG's but I don't think they have as nice a tone as a Les Paul.

Do I play much? I've been playing for just over a year now and I try to practice for 2 hours each day.

Daniel
13th January 2008, 19:24
Perhaps. My point was merely that comparing the price you pay to that of the rrp is not necessarily the best way of judging whether something is a bargain or not. Rrp's these days bear little reflection to what you should pay for a lot of products. By the way I would buy a car over the internet. Not a used one of course but we're not talking used products here.

Storm
13th January 2008, 23:32

Nice JB...maybe we should start a "show us your guitar (or any instrument)" thread ? :)

Brown, Jon Brow
13th January 2008, 23:41
Nice JB...maybe we should start a "show us your guitar (or any instrument)" thread ? :)

Maybe you should ;)

Hondo
14th January 2008, 05:27
My divorce attorney, $250.00 in 1979, an investment that has more than paid for itself many, many times over.

Here's to you Fred, where ever you are!

Roamy
15th January 2008, 03:59
I would say "this beautiful blonde I found in the Yellow Pages under "E"

tsarcasm
15th January 2008, 08:11
My divorce attorney, $250.00 in 1979, an investment that has more than paid for itself many, many times over.

Here's to you Fred, where ever you are!

ROFLOL!!

maxu05
15th January 2008, 15:21
My best purchase was a one way ticket to China. Now I have a great job, a great wife, and I am having the time of my life.

Gurl Racer
15th January 2008, 17:18
Well.. I have two!

1. My awesome little car at home!! I miss it so much! Whenever I felt bad, I'd just jump in my lil baby and go for a drive. It's not much for you race-heads, but a little Mitsubishi Mivec does me great :D

2. My AFS student exchange to Norway! You learn a foreign language, make friends from all over the world that will be your friends for a lifetime, make a new family, discover yourself and learn more about the two countries you call home :)

stevekr
6th February 2008, 11:40
In my memory, I purchased some good clothes for my mom, in my first salary

jso1985
7th February 2008, 22:35
2. My AFS student exchange to Norway! You learn a foreign language, make friends from all over the world that will be your friends for a lifetime, make a new family, discover yourself and learn more about the two countries you call home :)

that's not a purchase, that's an invest :p

seriously, for anyone under 17, I highly recommend an exchange program(specially AFS) :)