PDA

View Full Version : Cars of yesterday trigger fire sale for race teams

Jonesi
15th November 2007, 22:06
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/nascar/2007-11-14-Car-of-Tomorrow_N.htm
"$10,000-15,000" that's actually reasonable!

CCFanatic
15th November 2007, 23:10
ARCA will be seeing an increase in cars. 60-70 cars per race could be the norm next season. New teams out of wazoo. Young drivers, old drivers. I think ARCA could be a big place in the next 4-5 years.

muggle not
15th November 2007, 23:25
ARCA will be seeing an increase in cars. 60-70 cars per race could be the norm next season. New teams out of wazoo. Young drivers, old drivers. I think ARCA could be a big place in the next 4-5 years.
I tend to agree with you. Many fans are leaving Nascar and ARCA could be a big beneficiary. Especially when they add tracks like Rockingham to their schedule. I plan on going to the ARCA race at Rockingham next year.

CCFanatic
15th November 2007, 23:45
Well, I see it as more a place where fans could get a shot at driving their dream. They cannot afford Nascar, and many cannot, so they go out and for 50-60 grand, can run half the season. Fans could be leaving Nascar and ging elsewhere, but that is not how I see this. I see ARCA as the affordable place to race. Well, it is not were everyone can afford it, but it is much more accesible for many people.

muggle not
16th November 2007, 00:20
I believe that ARCA is much, much, more expensive that the $50,000 or $60,000 number for half a season. However, I do see it becoming an even better racing series that will be attracting fans. Some which will be coming from Cup for economic reasons. cup has become too expensive for many fans and many more are becoming dis-enchanted with the changes made and the direction it has taken in the last 4 or 5 years.

CCFanatic
16th November 2007, 00:37
Oh, if you do not mind running as a back marker, and running only the short tracks, you could get 7-8 races on 50 thousand, pretty easy. Baring, you bought a cheap car, like the the ones in the article, plus you have a car hauler. Many late model stock car racers in the country could run a few races without much issue.

muggle not
16th November 2007, 03:56
Oh, if you do not mind running as a back marker, and running only the short tracks, you could get 7-8 races on 50 thousand, pretty easy. Baring, you bought a cheap car, like the the ones in the article, plus you have a car hauler. Many late model stock car racers in the country could run a few races without much issue.
No further comment. :rolleyes:
Perhaps Champ Car can run for those dollars.

Rapier Racer
16th November 2007, 21:21
I want an old #5 car! I need $15,000 stat is anyone feeling particularly generous?

BobbyC
17th November 2007, 02:18
Not a surprise. Joey Logano drove an ex-Tony Stewart "current car" to the GN East Championship.

Many teams will use these cars for developmental drivers in use at ARCA races, convert some to "illegal" COT car lookalikes for show car use, sell many to vintage racing circuits (which will likely extend all NASCAR race cars to 2007 "current cars" for purposes of legality), and use them for Grand National races, where Hendrick, Childress, and DEI will have developmental drivers driver these cars rich in heritage.

Jeffrey Earnhardt has driven a few ex-Uncle Junior cars and probably will have more of them in 2008 in GN East.

tstran17_88
17th November 2007, 03:30
Frank Kimmel always buys the #17 cars from Roush.

harvick#1
17th November 2007, 06:21
No further comment. :rolleyes:
Perhaps Champ Car can run for those dollars.

:laugh: :up:

BobbyC
17th November 2007, 14:44
Frank Kimmel always buys the #17 cars from Roush.

Actually Tri-State Motorsports. Kimmel is leaving Tri-State.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Kimmels decide to buy ex-Hendrick cars from this season for their new ARCA team.

muggle not
17th November 2007, 15:38
Actually Tri-State Motorsports. Kimmel is leaving Tri-State.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Kimmels decide to buy ex-Hendrick cars from this season for their new ARCA team.
Why did Advance Auto Parts leave them as Sponsor. Was it Wendy's doing when she took over as the person in charge at AUP.

BobbyC
17th November 2007, 18:36
And speaking of the Current Cars, Richard Childress is bringing back the old #3, this time for Austin Dillon in Grand National East racing. The #3 RCR Chevrolets will entirely be formed of current cars used by RCR's Cup team that will be obsolete after Homestead; in the future, the cars will switch to composite (fiberglass) bodies which are an option in the Grand National Division.

That means many of the #07, #29, #31, and #33 Chevrolet Monte Carlos will become #3 Chevrolet Impalas for Austin Dillon.

Expect most top teams to have developmental drivers in Grand National East and West races all with the current cars. Hooters ProCup also allows ex-Cup cars, and Dale Earnhardt Jr could buy a boatload of current Hendrick cars for his ProCup team.

tstran17_88
18th November 2007, 01:08
I take it, Austin is Mike Dillon's son?

tstran17_88
18th November 2007, 01:12
I take it, Austin is Mike Dillon's son?Never mind...just found an article and picture of Austin...he is the spitting image of his dad.

Erki
18th November 2007, 19:12
No, he's Rocco Dillon's son. :p