PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to change a valve core?

Daniel
14th November 2007, 12:59
I've got a friend who will remain nameless who is having problems with the rear tyres on his Fiesta losing pressure. I told him to change the valve cores but he thinks that changing the valve cores is not an easy deal.

Can someone agree with me and tell him that it's a simple matter of inserting the tool into the valve stem and unscrewing till it comes out and then reversing the procedure to put in a new valve core.

:p

DonJippo
14th November 2007, 17:52
ICan someone agree with me and tell him that it's a simple matter of inserting the tool into the valve stem and unscrewing till it comes out and then reversing the procedure to put in a new valve core.

I will once you tell me who is this friend of yours :)

Daniel
14th November 2007, 17:59
I will once you tell me who is this friend of yours :)
He runs a motorsport forum :)

Easy Drifter
14th November 2007, 20:35
The difficult part is inflating the tire again if you don't have a pump or compressor!

Daniel
14th November 2007, 21:03
exactly what I said. I did recommend doing it next to a pump at a service station :)

MrJan
14th November 2007, 21:22
He runs a motorsport forum :)

Is it one we might have heard of :D

Daniel
14th November 2007, 21:48
Quite possibly ;)

Easy Drifter
14th November 2007, 21:51
With all the hot air on most forums he should have no trouble. Did I really say that?

Rollo
14th November 2007, 21:54
Why bother replacing just the core? You can just cut the whole stem off, patch the hole and fit a new valve stem. Allowing curing time, you should have the whole thing finished in half an hour.

Mark
13th December 2007, 07:57
Good job I didn't. Replacing the cores would not have also removed the nails :p

Daniel
13th December 2007, 13:42
Good job I didn't. Replacing the cores would not have also removed the nails :p
Even better job you didn't replace the tyres as you said you were going to do :p

drew3007
14th December 2007, 20:01
If they are both loosing preasure, it might be something else. Are his rims painted or chrome? If so the paint and chrome can start to crack or flake and you will not get a good bead seal. It would most certainly not be the first time I have seen this happen.

Daniel
14th December 2007, 20:02
it was nails

drew3007
14th December 2007, 20:07
Ah. I have heard of these so-called nails. I thought they were a myth! Why would anything long, metal and sharp at one end cause an air leak?! (heaps of sarcasm)

Mark
15th December 2007, 15:17
the only mystery is how my tyres managed to stay inflated for the best part of two months with nails stuck in them!