PDA

View Full Version : Flaming Tar Barrels

MrJan
6th November 2007, 15:06
Every November 5th a small town in Devon called Ottery St. Mary holds an event known as the tar barrels. It involves set a big barrel on fire and then a bunch of local blokes (as well as kids and ladies) run around with it on their shoulders.

In a move that the Daily Mail would love there appears to be no Health and Safety involved. Yes there are paramedics and police but essential you've got a bunch of blokes running through a giant crowd of people whilst on fire.

Laswt night was the first time I've ever gone to the barrels and I have to say it was really really good. Nothing quite like almost being hit by a big barrel of flames to get the adrenaline pumping.

This has been going on for years and years and is a great devonian tradition but not that many people seem to have heard of it outside of the South West. So I was wondering what weird things go on in other parts of the country. I know there's cheese rolling and that weird one with the two villages that goes on for hours but surely there are loads more cool traditions that people don't know about.

This link gives you an idea of how crazy the barrels is, got some good videos too http://www.otterytarbarrels.co.uk/

Mark
6th November 2007, 15:16
Saw it on Countryfile on Sunday and it looked like great fun :)

Drew
6th November 2007, 15:18
I used to see it on the tele every year, but I never managed to make it there. Hopefully one year even if not one year soon :p :