PDA

View Full Version : A question for you

Dzeidzei
5th November 2007, 07:47
Sometimes things happen for the strangest reasons, but here is a question for you:

How can it be, that McLaren sucking so bad in the beginning of 2005 made it possible for Lewis to almost become the youngest ever F1 champion?

IŽll give you a hint. In 2005 KR got another dnf with a technical cause in San Marino, the 4th race of the season. In Spain and Monaco he won, then got that puncture on the last lap in Nurburgring, then won again in Canada, but it was all too late.

Valve Bounce
5th November 2007, 08:03
Sometimes things happen for the strangest reasons, but here is a question for you:

How can it be, that McLaren sucking so bad in the beginning of 2005 made it possible for Lewis to almost become the youngest ever F1 champion?

IŽll give you a hint. In 2005 KR got another dnf with a technical cause in San Marino, the 4th race of the season. In Spain and Monaco he won, then got that puncture on the last lap in Nurburgring, then won again in Canada, but it was all too late.

You got me there, pal!! Do you have another clue??

Dzeidzei
5th November 2007, 09:09

One more clue: KR signed with Ferrari before summer of 2005.

Mark
5th November 2007, 09:19
You are somehow suggesting that KR was spying for Ferrari while still driving for McLaren? :laugh:

Dzeidzei
5th November 2007, 09:25
You are somehow suggesting that KR was spying for Ferrari while still driving for McLaren? :laugh:

Nopes, mate. Its pure logic... how one thing leads to another.

SGWilko
5th November 2007, 10:05

Fire away buster......

What does 2005 have to do with 2007, exactly? But I guess the obvious answer that springs to mind is that McLaren have been working hard to improve their reliability.

Was it a puncture? Or did the tyre remain intact, but the vibration shook the suspension to pieces. And who's fault was it that the tyre got flat spotted in the first place?

One more clue: KR signed with Ferrari before summer of 2005.

Aha, I see now, you think McLaren cut off their noses to spite their faces. You don't suppose all their shareholders, sponsors etc might have a say in that do you?

leopard
5th November 2007, 10:09

it costs you Ł 1 M from the prize for each clue asked to answer the question.

Mark
5th November 2007, 10:41
I wouldn't bother, it'll be some stupid conspiracy theory that we would all ignore anyway.

passmeatissue
5th November 2007, 10:58
I wouldn't bother, it'll be some stupid conspiracy theory that we would all ignore anyway.

It's a quiet day, why not run with it? No need to take it too seriously. Let me guess...Kimi is spying on McLaren for Ferrari. Fernando, who also signed early, is spying on Renault for McLaren. The McLaren engineers arrive at Renault with their 3 McLaren discs, to find the data is already there. Coughlan looks at Stepney's data and finds it's strangely familiar. How am I doing?

Dzeidzei
5th November 2007, 11:02
It's a quiet day, why not run with it? No need to take it too seriously. Let me guess...Kimi is spying on McLaren for Ferrari. Fernando, who also signed early, is spying on Renault for McLaren. The McLaren engineers arrive at Renault with their 3 McLaren discs, to find the data is already there. Coughlan looks at Stepney's data and finds it's strangely familiar. How am I doing?

Youre way off.

As each clue costs you guys 1Musd, heres another. Fernando signed 1 year after Kimi, but even that signature was crucial.

And no, theres no conspiracy here.

Dzeidzei
5th November 2007, 11:09
What does 2005 have to do with 2007, exactly? But I guess the obvious answer that springs to mind is that McLaren have been working hard to improve their reliability.

It has, as youŽll find out.

Was it a puncture? Or did the tyre remain intact, but the vibration shook the suspension to pieces. And who's fault was it that the tyre got flat spotted in the first place?

It was KimiŽs fault, but whether it was a puncture or suspension failing, is of no importance here.

millencolin
5th November 2007, 11:09
This has to be the stupidest thing i have ever read. i now feel dumber after reading this, and i have read some dumb stuff in my time.

Big Ben
5th November 2007, 11:21
This has to be the stupidest thing i have ever read. i now feel dumber after reading this, and i have read some dumb stuff in my time.

me too but because of a different reason... I don't really understand what he's talking about. could someone explain me what is he actually saying? thank you

Dzeidzei
5th November 2007, 11:32
me too but because of a different reason... I don't really understand what he's talking about. could someone explain me what is he actually saying? thank you

Oh sorry, I didnt explain enough, I guess.

You need to THINK, how can one thing lead to another. And my point is: if McL05 was better, Lewis wouldnt even be driving McL in 2007.

And yes, its stupid, waste of time, blahblah. My excuse is that Im bored.

Mark
5th November 2007, 11:40
The fact that Kimi signed with Ferrari in 2005 after bad results with Mac and they then immediately signed Alonso?

Dzeidzei
5th November 2007, 11:49
The fact that Kimi signed with Ferrari in 2005 after bad results with Mac and they then immediately signed Alonso?

Now youre getting somewhere.

Ron had to sign FA (and remember, there was some doubt whether Renault would continue with their F1 program at all, which made Fernando look elsewhere).

And the final question: Afterwards its easy to say that letting Lewis drive was the greatest of choices. But would RD have Lewis in the 2nd car (at that time it really was the 2nd car) if he didnt have FA in the first?

IŽd say no. He would have gone for a more experienced guy and made a mistake doing so.

Right?

passmeatissue
5th November 2007, 12:14
Yes. I agree. A nice little thread for a Monday morning, thank you! :)

Mark
5th November 2007, 13:00
IŽd say no. He would have gone for a more experienced guy and made a mistake doing so.

Right?

And had Lewis do a year as test driver? Possibly. You are assuming of course that a situable experienced person wouldn't have come forward for the 1st McLaren to replace Kimi. There are plenty of possible drivers for the McLaren if not Alonso.

Dzeidzei
5th November 2007, 13:08
And had Lewis do a year as test driver? Possibly. You are assuming of course that a situable experienced person wouldn't have come forward for the 1st McLaren to replace Kimi. There are plenty of possible drivers for the McLaren if not Alonso.

I agree, it could have gone a dozen different ways. But still: McLaren failing to give Kimi a winning car in the beginning of 2005 lead to Lewis almost taking the title in 2007.

Its nice to be clever in retrospect :)

But can you guess, why the fact that RD released FA from his contract prevents Lewis from winning the title in 2008?

passmeatissue
5th November 2007, 15:20
But can you guess, why the fact that RD released FA from his contract prevents Lewis from winning the title in 2008?

Need a clue again, I'm afraid :dozey:

SGWilko
5th November 2007, 15:25

Don't tell me, is it because Onslo took the ign key with him?

wmcot
6th November 2007, 08:06

Something to do with aliens or planetary alignment?

Dzeidzei
6th November 2007, 10:29

Nopes. You need to think again. In which circumstances will Lewis NOT win wdc even if McL produces the fastest and most reliable car?

Mark
6th November 2007, 10:31
They get banned again? :p

Valve Bounce
6th November 2007, 10:55
Nopes. You need to think again. In which circumstances will Lewis NOT win wdc even if McL produces the fastest and most reliable car?

When Elvis gets the job as head mechanic.

Dzeidzei
6th November 2007, 11:02
They get banned again? :p

Lets hope not. But the answer is so obvious that not getting it says a lot about how people feel about Lewis.

SGWilko
6th November 2007, 12:54

You could be onto something there, what if LH is abducted?

airshifter
6th November 2007, 13:38
Unless this is all just in fun, I think it's conspiracy theory at its finest.

Kimi wasn't the only one blowing up the earlier cars. Fast is great, but if the engines go it doesn't win points. Had the earlier Mclarens stayed together, there is a good chance either Kimi or Montoya would have already taken a title or two.

Nobody but Lewis made him choke in the last two races. Though I am a fan of Kimi's I can say without doubt that he didn't really win the WDC, more that Lewis gave it to him.

Bagwan
6th November 2007, 19:02

I'd guess you're thinking about who the replacement is .
Then I'd guess you're thinking of a Finn .
Ron's fond of Finns .

Close ?

Dave B
6th November 2007, 19:28
I've just wasted nearly a minute of my life reading this drivel, and a further ten seconds posting this.

:\

BDunnell
6th November 2007, 20:23
I've just wasted nearly a minute of my life reading this drivel, and a further ten seconds posting this.

:\

But what would you have been doing had you not read and posted? I know — spent the time worshipping the Lewis Hamilton shrine all us Brits who don't always say something derogatory about him are meant to have in the corner of our living rooms.

Big Ben
6th November 2007, 20:59
Oh sorry, I didnt explain enough, I guess.

You need to THINK, how can one thing lead to another. And my point is: if McL05 was better, Lewis wouldnt even be driving McL in 2007.

And yes, its stupid, waste of time, blahblah. My excuse is that Im bored.

Aha... Now I get it. Well, if Kimi had won in 2005 maybe he wouldn't have left and FA wouldn't have been a 2 times wdc at the time and maybe McLaren wouldnŽt have been so keen on signing him... so LH would have had a free seat...

It would have been interesting to see LH and KR this year. Would have the team dumped KR for LH. It was easy to choose for them between FA and LH but KR spent some time with the team... even if he is not so good at politics as LH he

BDunnell
6th November 2007, 21:32
It would have been interesting to see LH and KR this year. Would have the team dumped KR for LH. It was easy to choose for them between FA and LH but KR spent some time with the team... even if he is not so good at politics as LH he

Well, we don't know how Raikkonen would have matched up against Hamilton in the same equipment, and I couldn't even hazard a guess as to whether Kimi would have managed the situation better than Alonso.

Valve Bounce
6th November 2007, 21:39
If McLaren hired ant. ;)

wmcot
7th November 2007, 07:06

If he's kidnapped and held for ransom by Nigel Stepney and Mike Coughlan?

Dzeidzei
7th November 2007, 08:04
Ron's fond of Finns .

Close ?

You got it. Congrats, you win a weekend with Ron Dennis in Exotic Barbados :)

Bagwan
7th November 2007, 13:00
You got it. Congrats, you win a weekend with Ron Dennis in Exotic Barbados :)

I'll take the cash equivalent , please .

wmcot
8th November 2007, 06:30
Ron's fond of Finns .

Close ?

Thanks, Bagwan. I was afraid this thread would go on into the start of next season! ;)

Dzeidzei
8th November 2007, 08:25
Thanks, Bagwan. I was afraid this thread would go on into the start of next season! ;)

Youre right wmcot. Lets get back to the "who deserves to be wdc" threads :)

ioan
8th November 2007, 09:37
Youre right wmcot. Lets get back to the "who deserves to be wdc" threads :)

One more week and we can put an end to that one too. ;)

SGWilko
8th November 2007, 14:30
"who deserves to be wdc"

Surely, appeals aside, we all ought to agree that Kimi is a very deserving champion?

wmcot
8th November 2007, 20:21
Surely, appeals aside, we all ought to agree that Kimi is a very deserving champion?

We ought to agree, but as that thread shows, 9-10% of forum members don't agree. That's what I thought would happen if I asked for a poll on that subject.

(Sorry to go off topic, but I wasn't the one who brought up the other thread!)