PDA

View Full Version : Mobile cranes

Magnus
4th November 2007, 19:02
Since I just posted in the "what forums..." thread that I am a regular visitor to a crane forum, I thought I might just as well start a thread abt mobile cranes. I do not expect that anyone else than me will be interseted in it, but anyways.
I started driving mobile crane when i was sixteen, so now i have done it for just as many years, with three different machines. So what is it with mobile cranes then? Plain mechanics along with interesting technical solutions and material strength. Very exciting :D
An outsider is the big guys on the sea, like Saipem and Thialf, but thats another story...

jso1985
4th November 2007, 20:48
Did you were with your crane at this years European GP? :p :

airshifter
5th November 2007, 21:37
Not sure if you would consider it a crane, but I have run Marine Travelifts rated up to 50 tons. They are a sling type lift used to lift boats and yachts out of the water to work platforms.

Big mechanical stuff is cool. :D

leopard
6th November 2007, 04:22
I was for two years working at Land Clearing for plantation ten years ago when got familiar with heavy equipments such as Excavator, Bulldozer, Road grader, Plough Tractor, etc all of which used hydraulic system of lifting. I think amongst of any brands, John Deere and Caterpillar are the most friendly operated on the heavy duty.

Currently when the time is free I only have chance operating mini forklift of 3 tons of capacity.

Magnus
6th November 2007, 08:12
Well: thatīs always something :D
I did not believe that there would be any greater interest in this area on the forum, but one has to try anyways...
My first "aha-experience" was when I had been driving my nine tonnes crane for a few month, and I discovered that our concurrent/friend, running another marina where I live had a 23-tonner. **** I thought; it can lift my machine and more!
Somewhat disappointed in my old Demag at that point I started looking for something else, and two years later I bought a thirteen tonner. At least our concurrent could not lift our crane anymore since it weighed in at 24 tonnes...
But then, in the spring of 1993, while at school, I noticed that they were installing new AC: s on a roof nereby school. I went there to look, and ****, there was this brand new Demag 80-tonner. Hmm... I suddenly realized that cranes get quite powerful. So when I started at Chalmers to get my engineering degree a year later i found this wonderful magazine: Offshore engineering. this magazine is very good if you ever think that you have witnessed any big piece of machinery; you have not, I promise!
Anyways, the two heroes of Offshore Engineering are Thialf and Saipem. The Thialf can lift 14000 metrical tonnes at 20-25 metres radius, the Faipem can lift 14000! At a radius of abt 160 meters it lifts 150 tonnes.
****! On the deck of saipem they have a support mobile crane which can lift in the order of 150 tonnes, on pictures it looks like something really tine that the cat brought in...
I was baffled, but realized I could not afford the Saipem, or the Thialf for that matter they cost something like 250 000 dollars/day to rent, at least!
So I went back to mobile cranes, and bought a knew one, a Krupp, classed for lifting a decent 38 tonnes. At this time though growing energy crisis really started boosting the demand for big cranes. Building wind generators is where you usualy have a use for these giants. Demags biggest machine is today at 700 tonnes and Liebherrs biggest is rated at 1200 tonnes; the main hook itself weighs twelve tonnes.
Note: these are all hydraulic boom cranes. Lattice-boom cranes are normally rated higher, since hydraulic booms are very heavy in them selves, on the other hand there is much more work with putting a lattice-boom crane in to action, since it need a lot of assembling first.
Ok, Iīll better stop or Ill be banned for writing to much nonsence... :s

Magnus
6th November 2007, 08:21
Not sure if you would consider it a crane, but I have run Marine Travelifts rated up to 50 tons. They are a sling type lift used to lift boats and yachts out of the water to work platforms.

Big mechanical stuff is cool. :D

I am well acquainted with the Marine Travelifts. I would like one myself, but not only are they expencive, they require a lot of construction regarding bridges etc.
The best thing with these machines is that you can lift sailboats very simple with the mast on, that is always a big problem when lifting with a mobile crane...plus you do not squezze the hulls as much as you may sometimes do with a mobile crane, if you do not use a support frame that is wide enough.

leopard
6th November 2007, 08:30
As much I can enjoy the job, pictures during I worked at that field captured ten years ago didn't look any younger than I am currently. It gave my skin colored and older face than it should.

I am happy now for no longer being there :)

Magnus
6th November 2007, 08:36
As much I can enjoy the job, pictures during I worked at that field captured ten years ago didn't look any younger than I am currently. It gave my skin colored and older face than it should.

I am happy now being no longer there :)

If I could work with Thialf or Saipem allday long I would gladely look ninety :D

leopard
6th November 2007, 08:48
The project was taken place at swampland and may possibly anytime attack me swamp fever, it could be serious trouble. Working with heavy equipments have big risks in the reverse side of its big money.

However it's worthwhile experience. :)

Magnus
6th November 2007, 12:10
Swamp fever... Hmm...

airshifter
6th November 2007, 13:45
Magnus,

Interesting that you've actually purchased the equipment. Here in the US it's rare as most people lease because things change so quickly.

The slings on the marine lifts can be good for a thrill sometimes. On occasion they will shift or settle as the craft leaves the water. Usually the slings are just centering on the keel of the yacht better. But the sudden jolt transmitted through the lift is enough to make you pucker up every time. :D

There is a yacht basin not far from here that has a very large marine lift. I'm not sure, but I think it is rated at 100 tons. I'm not sure at what point they quit using lifts and start using dry docks.

AndySpeed
6th November 2007, 14:05
I know it's not a crane, but it could have been :s hock:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/7064879.stm

Magnus
6th November 2007, 14:58
Ooops... what is that?

Magnus
6th November 2007, 15:20
crane problems:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tlcDTByGyg