PDA

View Full Version : Hakkinen to stop DTM.....is he coming to Mclaren??

stmoto
3rd November 2007, 14:34
Mercedes and Mika Hakkinen have today announced that he will not race in DTM 2008. Hakkinen also stated that he will continue his long partnership with Mercedes...Are the, Mercedes, Mclaren and Hakkinen planning a shock return to partner Lewis Hamilton...!! Would make sence in away, help lewis in all ways and also teach him how to become even better driver...!!

Just a guess but I'd ABSOLUTELY love to see Mika back in F1!!!

This would be great, what do you think??

Zico
3rd November 2007, 14:58
Cant see it.. wishfull thinking I reckon. He's been out too long. Be cool to see how he coped tho.

Teach Lewis what exactly?... The art of driving an F1 car without traction control?

jens
3rd November 2007, 15:02
:laugh: @even creating such speculation.

I can't understand, what can you see great in Mika's comeback? He'll be 40 years old next year and hasn't raced in F1 for ages. His comeback won't be any better than Mansell's efforts in 1995.

stmoto
3rd November 2007, 15:02
Cant see it.. wishfull thinking I reckon. He's been out too long. Be cool to see how he coped tho.

Teach Lewis what exactly?... The art of driving an F1 car without traction control?

exactly! He also needs to learn about adjusting car, giving info for engineers etc...

stmoto
3rd November 2007, 15:09
exactly! He also needs to learn about adjusting car, giving info for engineers etc...

Ron will have the superb man to help Lewis be Champion, thats what he wants...

Zico
3rd November 2007, 15:10

Hmmm... Lewis has raced for years in the different formulae, cant see his feedback being an area of concern, or even a reason to bring back someone who's been out for so long and is as old as Mika is.

I'd give you 100/1 against a Mika comeback.. ;)

fandango
3rd November 2007, 15:36

I can't understand, what can you see great in Mika's comeback? He'll be 40 years old next year and hasn't raced in F1 for ages. His comeback won't be any better than Mansell's efforts in 1995.

Ha-ha, you're right there, which team was it again that was stupid enough to go for that one?

But seriously, Mika did an F1 test last year, didn't he? and he was a bit too rusty.

A.F.F.
3rd November 2007, 15:46
Wasn't he a bit rusty in DTM too ???

Makes as much sense if Abarth hired Markku Alen to their team in rallying :rolleyes:

airshifter
3rd November 2007, 16:42
As much as I'd like to see it, Mika has been out too long to jump back into a Formula 1 car. In this case I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

It is possible he could come back in some sort of team or development role though, similar to MS still being associated with Ferrari.

aryan
3rd November 2007, 17:05
Look, I'll love it, I'll absolutely love to see the old great hakk back at racing. And part of me believes that he can do a carlos sainz and support a new champion as he is a proven formula and it wouldn't hurt his ego if he is not as fast as lewis.

But we all know it's wishful thinking. What that statement means is probably what airshifter pointed out: some sort of role within the team.

aryan
3rd November 2007, 17:10
After checking the archives, in his December 2006 test in Barcelona he was more than 2 sec off Hamilton's pace, and that Hamilton didn't have any F1 experience. Niether Ron nor Mika himself will accept to throw him into the hot seat now.

Tomi
3rd November 2007, 17:11
Propably he will do some PR work for Mercedes, like he has been doing now also.

mirek01
3rd November 2007, 18:54
No way. :D

Hondo
3rd November 2007, 19:41
Could be he's been talking to Michael Schumacher and Michael told him how great it is to wake up not having to drive anything, develop anything, spend 4 hours in the gym and enjoy eating whatever you want.

Mika may just be tired of racing.

Valve Bounce
3rd November 2007, 22:50
Mercedes and Mika Hakkinen have today announced that he will not race in DTM 2008. Hakkinen also stated that he will continue his long partnership with Mercedes...Are the, Mercedes, Mclaren and Hakkinen planning a shock return to partner Lewis Hamilton...!! Would make sence in away, help lewis in all ways and also teach him how to become even better driver...!!

F1 after that long an absence from F1 is simply not possible, as there is the increased fitness required as well as the very different cars of today. Mika gave it away, he had a reason whatever it was. As much as I'd like my former hero to be winning again in F1, I doubt it will happen again. :(

Thor
4th November 2007, 02:04

Nigel won 1992 WDC title 39 years old,why not Mika 2008 40 years old :)
I want him back at McLaren before x-mas :)
Heikki can wait until the season 2009

Valve Bounce
4th November 2007, 05:44
Heikki can wait until the season 2009

He's been out of F1 too long; and besides when he left, he really seemed to have had enough of F1.

raikk
4th November 2007, 09:09
that would be cool but I can't see it happening... if this was the case Mclaren would of given him Mclaren tests a month or so ago..

Ranger
4th November 2007, 09:23
Heikki can wait until the season 2009If it were only that easy :p :. Remember, last time in an F1 car in 2001, Hakkinen was slower than "it will be my year" Coulthard. So 2008 will definitely NOT be Hakkinen's year. :p :

Valve Bounce
4th November 2007, 11:11
Mika has retired from motorsport : http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns19831.html

aryan
4th November 2007, 15:32
Alas... the great Hakk has retired.

And even his retirement gave his fans one last hopeful day. A day when the daydreamers among us pictures him one last time in an F1 car.

Many call this the the best overtaking move in F1's history:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4uNSYTnhnA

Farewell Mika. :wave:

Thor
4th November 2007, 16:06
The Humor is still there
"For you, it is undoubtedly bad news, but for my adversaries, it is good news," Hakkinen said.

jas123f1
4th November 2007, 16:10
Alas... the great Hakk has retired.

And even his retirement gave his fans one last hopeful day. A day when the daydreamers among us pictures him one last time in an F1 car.

Farewell Mika. :wave:

Sure it is. I like to se it again.
But Mika will never return to F1 as driver. Possible as a some kind of adviser.. :)

4th November 2007, 18:26

Yes, it's really hard to overtake a car that was hard on its rears late in a race.

Whereas this overtake on Mika and Schumi....http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RzPM1xHm2wg

Now that was class.

On a thread related note.....Mika won't race for Mclaren again. There is nothing to be gained for him, besides which 7 years out of F1 and 40 years old is too much.

markabilly
4th November 2007, 18:41
For the past ten years, ANY pass in f1 is great......unfortunately......

But Mika, like Kimi, was a true world class, world champion......interesting that they are both from same country....thank God one of them is still racing

Easy Drifter
4th November 2007, 19:33
I know it was a totally different era but Fangio was 47 when he won his last WC and 41 when he won his first.
Alfa in 51, Maserati/Mercedes in 54, Mercedes in 55, Ferrari in 56 and Maserati in 57.

jso1985
4th November 2007, 19:46
The Humor is still there
"For you, it is undoubtedly bad news, but for my adversaries, it is good news," Hakkinen said.

:D :up:

Eki
4th November 2007, 19:55
I know it was a totally different era but Fangio was 47 when he won his last WC and 41 when he won his first.
Alfa in 51, Maserati/Mercedes in 54, Mercedes in 55, Ferrari in 56 and Maserati in 57.
They didn't start racing when they were 5 to 7 year olds like these days. Back then it was a sport for rich playboys who largely payed their own hobby.

F=ma
7th November 2007, 03:18
I think the sport would explode if you had a Shumi-Kimi/Ferrari vs Mika-Hammy/McLaren matchup.

But I'll give you 2903840283408:1 odds on that. But it would still be cool as hell to see.

leopard
7th November 2007, 03:54
= mi
Mission Impossible ?

555-04Q2
7th November 2007, 05:50

It would be great news :up: But Mika is happy with his life out of the F1 spotlight. I doubt he will come back :(

jens
7th November 2007, 17:22
I find it funny that while people are often negative about all those experienced drivers and wish them to leave as quickly as possible, but on the other hand even an older driver is wished to make a comeback. Where's the logic? What kind of attitude do you have about that matter then? Should the experienced ones make room for youngsters or not then? A 32-year-old should make room to a 40-year-old? What's your ideology?

Garry Walker
7th November 2007, 19:39

Those people have very little F1 experience or intelligence then. A great move, for sure. But not the all time best, by far.

I am dissapointed with this news, as I wanted MH and Schumi to race against eachother in DTM

BDunnell
7th November 2007, 20:48
I find it funny that while people are often negative about all those experienced drivers and wish them to leave as quickly as possible, but on the other hand even an older driver is wished to make a comeback. Where's the logic? What kind of attitude do you have about that matter then? Should the experienced ones make room for youngsters or not then? A 32-year-old should make room to a 40-year-old? What's your ideology?

I don't have a concrete 'ideology', as you put it, one way or the other. If an older driver can come back and make a valuable contribution, then fine. If not they shouldn't.

7th November 2007, 21:26
I don't have a concrete 'ideology', as you put it, one way or the other. If an older driver can come back and make a valuable contribution, then fine. If not they shouldn't.

I agree, but I also think that it is a huge risk to any 'retired' champion to return. They risk their reputation, something that permanent retirement cannot damage.

For every Niki Lauda, there is an Alan Jones and a Nigel Mansell.

aryan
7th November 2007, 23:31

It's calld nostalgia my friend, and there isn't much logic behind it.

But... it's off season... and there's not much testing going on either... so what are we supposed to do if we don't create MS to McLaren and Mikka to McLaren controversies? :p

555-04Q2
8th November 2007, 05:44

Drivers like Ralf we want gone. proven race and WDC winners like MS & MK we want back :)

jens
8th November 2007, 11:42
I agree, but I also think that it is a huge risk to any 'retired' champion to return. They risk their reputation, something that permanent retirement cannot damage.

For every Niki Lauda, there is an Alan Jones and a Nigel Mansell.

Yeah. I think Häkkinen left F1 in exactly the right moment. McLaren was moving downhill and by leaving before poor seasons like 2002 and 2004 he saved himself from heavy criticism. So people have mainly positive memories about him.

Drivers like Ralf we want gone. proven race and WDC winners like MS & MK we want back :)

But who says that they are still capable of winning WDC's? :p : I don't know about Michael, but I'm quite confident Mika won't do better than Ralf.

SGWilko
8th November 2007, 13:10
Yes, it's really hard to overtake a car that was hard on its rears late in a race.

Whereas this overtake on Mika and Schumi....http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RzPM1xHm2wg

Now that was class.

On a thread related note.....Mika won't race for Mclaren again. There is nothing to be gained for him, besides which 7 years out of F1 and 40 years old is too much.

Irv the swerve, that was a good day for him wasn't it? But those cars ahead were VERY slow, and the other Ferrari held up the car behind nicely.... If unsteady Eddie drove like that all the time he would have been a decent F1 driver, not a journeyman happy to rake in the Irish Punts (now Euros).

Back on topic, if Mika's last F1 performance is anything to go by, he should not be allowed another drive......