PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton's Father

HoustonCartFan
1st November 2007, 16:21
Does it seem odd to anyone that Lewis Hamilton's father seems to follow him everywhere. He seems to be involved in all facets of his son's life.

Perhaps Alonso should bring his parents to the races....

janneppi
1st November 2007, 16:26
Not really anything new, for example Erja used to follow Mika to most races and was shown usually more than once during a race, having a someone dad, or mom(As Erja was propably mistaken for ;) ) adds the tv broadcast a bit more personal drama.

SteveA
1st November 2007, 16:34
Bunson's old man used to be there all the time, and regularly interviewed by ITV. I think, eventually, the novelty wears off!

SGWilko
1st November 2007, 16:36
Does it seem odd to anyone that Lewis Hamilton's father seems to follow him everywhere. He seems to be involved in all facets of his son's life.

If you had supported your Son in his 'early years', and was proud of his achievments, and indeed proud he was your Son, would you not attend his first season in the 'big league'?

1st November 2007, 16:36

Seems a bit harsh to single out Lewis & his dad.

Hamilton's not alone....Button's dad was always on TV a while back, and Michael Schumacher's dad was heavily involved in his sons early (Karting) career....to name but two.

Besides which, Anthony Hamilton is also Lewis's manager.....most drivers have their manager close by at races.

Come to think of it, without family support I doubt that there would be many professional racing drivers left out of the current crop.

SGWilko
1st November 2007, 16:37

Hamilton's not alone....Button's dad was always on TV a while back, and Michael Schumacher's dad was heavily involved in his sons early (Karting) career....to name but two.

Come to think of it, without family support I doubt that there would be many professional racing drivers left out of the current crop.

:up:

HoustonCartFan
1st November 2007, 16:40
On a more serious note,

Sometimes parental involvment is good - Tiger Woods
And
Sometimes it does not work out well - Michelle Wie

Hopefully Hamilton will fall into the "Woods" camp.

1st November 2007, 16:42
On a more serious note,

Sometimes parental involvment is good - Tiger Woods
And
Sometimes it does not work out well - Michelle Wie

Hopefully Hamilton will fall into the "Woods" camp.

It's done him no harm so far.

passmeatissue
1st November 2007, 16:47
Only 22 and (deliberately) not having even a girlfriend, it's the right thing I feel. We see a lot of Anthony on TV, because he's particularly good in front of the camera, and Lewis is a star, but most of the drivers have an entourage. If he's still around all the time when Lewis is 27, that might be different!

truefan72
1st November 2007, 17:06

Besides which, Anthony Hamilton is also Lewis's manager.....most drivers have their manager close by at races.

DazzlaF1
1st November 2007, 17:16

Well said :up:

Brown, Jon Brow
1st November 2007, 17:21
Very good snooker player as well, I hear ;)

Malbec
1st November 2007, 18:31
Only 22 and (deliberately) not having even a girlfriend, it's the right thing I feel. We see a lot of Anthony on TV, because he's particularly good in front of the camera, and Lewis is a star, but most of the drivers have an entourage. If he's still around all the time when Lewis is 27, that might be different!

I don't believe there have been many periods in Lewis' mature life that he hasn't had a girlfriend!

keysersoze
1st November 2007, 19:26
Not having a hot babe around sorta defeats the purpose of being a famous athlete. :D

BDunnell
1st November 2007, 19:28

As you say, it isn't odd at all, and he seems like a good influence, unlike certain other sporting fathers (Steffi Graf's being an excellent example, as are those of other tennis players).

Storm
1st November 2007, 21:22
what is odd is that he is shown all the time, not odd that he should be around Lewis....but as pointed out it was same with Erja Hakkinen.

Sleeper
1st November 2007, 22:04
what is odd is that he is shown all the time, not odd that he should be around Lewis....but as pointed out it was same with Erja Hakkinen.
I think its moer that around the build up to the race Lewis doesnt often talk to the press, so they go to the next best thing, his father, who happens to be his manager as well.

555-04Q2
2nd November 2007, 09:45
Why does this topic keep on coming up :?: His father happens to be his MANAGER who worked 3 jobs to get him into F1 and hence is present at race weekends. Whats so strange :?:

Valve Bounce
2nd November 2007, 09:56

NO!

ArrowsFA1
2nd November 2007, 09:57
Why does this topic keep on coming up :?:
No idea :dozey:

ioan
2nd November 2007, 11:34
I guess it depends on the father, really. If he feels he has to be there for his son than he does it.

Dave B
2nd November 2007, 12:44
Why does this topic keep on coming up :?: His father happens to be his MANAGER who worked 3 jobs to get him into F1 and hence is present at race weekends. Whats so strange :?:

Still, for some people it's any excuse to have a pop at Lewis.

Daniel
2nd November 2007, 14:14
I think it's just irritating that Hamilton's dad gets media coverage. He has every right to be there it's just that it seems that the cameras show him rather than the proper action on track....

BDunnell
2nd November 2007, 14:27
I think it's just irritating that Hamilton's dad gets media coverage. He has every right to be there it's just that it seems that the cameras show him rather than the proper action on track....

I don't think he gets any more coverage during the races than Erja Hakkinen, for example — possibly even less. He's an obvious candidate for an ITV interview, though, which is why you see him more on British TV.

Daniel
2nd November 2007, 14:33
I don't think he gets any more coverage during the races than Erja Hakkinen, for example — possibly even less. He's an obvious candidate for an ITV interview, though, which is why you see him more on British TV.
What I mean to say is that I'd rather see no coverage of these people. If Hamilton has just won or just crashed or something OK :) But I'd rather see cars than someone who is no one other than the fact that he's LH's dad :)

Dave B
2nd November 2007, 14:39
I agree with Daniel in that I'd rather see nothing other than the racing, but the broadcasters need to make a programme which will appeal to a mass TV audience which is why you get these "atmosphere" shots.

Every single Brazillian GP you can guarantee you'll see a large-breasted woman in a green and yellow bikini dancing around in the crowd - she'll then spot herself on a big screen and dance even more enthusiastically. It's tradition!

Daniel
2nd November 2007, 14:45
I agree with Daniel in that I'd rather see nothing other than the racing, but the broadcasters need to make a programme which will appeal to a mass TV audience which is why you get these "atmosphere" shots.

Every single Brazillian GP you can guarantee you'll see a large-breasted woman in a green and yellow bikini dancing around in the crowd - she'll then spot herself on a big screen and dance even more enthusiastically. It's tradition!
Yes but Anthony Hamilton doesn't have large breasts. If he did (and wasn't a dude) we wouldn't be having this thread now would we :p

OmarF1
2nd November 2007, 15:07
Hamilton's dad have been appearing on TV since his GP2 days, this must rely on the fact that they both are black, it is very rare to see black people with success in motorsport, don't believe the hype, this proves that F1 it's indeed a "worlwide sport and opens new doors to people of different ethnic heritage" and more money to Bernie's piggy bank.

At the end of the day it's all about business and public image, picture this: a struggling hard worker, with 3 jobs, became eventually a succesful black man in a mostly white dominated sport. that's gotta sell a lot of magazines and maybe a movie, that would be have a lot of revenue in places like the U.S.

ioan
2nd November 2007, 15:17
Yes but Anthony Hamilton doesn't have large breasts. If he did (and wasn't a dude) we wouldn't be having this thread now would we :p

:beurk:

Daniel
2nd November 2007, 15:25
:beurk:
:dhjhjksd:

:confused:

tinchote
2nd November 2007, 16:14
No big deal forme, as others have said. I don't like it a lot when they don't show the track, but that applies to shots of the track and the crews too.

Caroline
2nd November 2007, 16:22
His Dad is great for TV at the moment, he gives little snippets away to ITV and they love him for it. Just a phase I'm sure. My question is, how does he keep his shirts oh so white in the pit lane?

Daniel
2nd November 2007, 16:34
His Dad is great for TV at the moment, he gives little snippets away to ITV and they love him for it. Just a phase I'm sure. My question is, how does he keep his shirts oh so white in the pit lane?
There's an opportunity for a Daz advert there Caroline!

Caroline
2nd November 2007, 16:35
There's an opportunity for a Daz advert there Caroline!

No doubt about it.

Easy Drifter
2nd November 2007, 17:05
Same idea. I wonder if we will see as much of Ashley Judd in NAPCAR as we did in IRL.

wmcot
3rd November 2007, 08:45
Well, it's better to see Anthony Hamilton at every race than Darth Vader at Monaco!

markabilly
3rd November 2007, 08:54
Which father are we talking about?

I am sure we will see lots more of RD than the stomach can stand...Actually I like seeing the other father better...RD always looks like someone is putting a real heavy squeeze on his gonads or is severly constipated or both......

passmeatissue
3rd November 2007, 09:59
Which father are we talking about?

I am sure we will see lots more of RD than the stomach can stand...Actually I like seeing the other father better...RD always looks like someone is putting a real heavy squeeze on his gonads or is severly constipated or both......

Came on the forum this morning, to find someone has left a nasty post on every thread.

aryan
3rd November 2007, 10:51
Came on the forum this morning, to find someone has left a nasty post on every thread.

Please don't quote these posts. Rather defeats the purpose of the ignore button when everyone quotes him.

I don't like any non-racing shots on TV, the same with showing TV crews

Massa's brother also gets coverage whenever he is there, same with JPM's wife.

In tennis, Sharapova's father always had about half coverage as his doughter, same with the whole Williams family.

Nothing new here... move along.

passmeatissue
3rd November 2007, 11:04
Found the ignore list now, thanks.

markabilly
3rd November 2007, 11:23
Found the ignore list now, thanks.
good now i can talk about your heroes that you happily drool over and you will never know it--As they say ignorance is bliss :vader:

jso1985
4th November 2007, 20:42
as said before...
reading your post is like hearing an scratched Eminem CD...

kinda already know what are you going to post...

Valve Bounce
4th November 2007, 23:20
Bunson's old man used to be there all the time, and regularly interviewed by ITV. I think, eventually, the novelty wears off!

Well, for a start Old Man Bunsen looks even older than me, and I am better looking. :)

F=ma
7th November 2007, 03:14
Who else do you think was driving that Crane at the Nurburgring?

555-04Q2
7th November 2007, 05:53
and I am better looking. :)

Valve, thats not a mirror, its called a window, and that strickingly good looking lad you see is your neighbour :p : ;)

Garry Walker
7th November 2007, 19:52
What is wrong with his dad being there? If I was him, I would want my dad there too, manager or not. How much closer than a FATHER can you get?

As for people saying that you would prefer other things showed, not his dad. Well, you obvious "intellectuals", it is not Anthony Hamilton in charge of the production.

I am no fan of the Golden Boy, but attacks on his dad being there are pathetic and sad. Some people really need to grow up.

BDunnell
7th November 2007, 20:46
What is wrong with his dad being there? If I was him, I would want my dad there too, manager or not. How much closer than a FATHER can you get?

As for people saying that you would prefer other things showed, not his dad. Well, you obvious "intellectuals", it is not Anthony Hamilton in charge of the production.

I am no fan of the Golden Boy, but attacks on his dad being there are pathetic and sad. Some people really need to grow up.

For once, I agree with every word you've posted. I'm amazed this thread has gone on for so long — again, because it's not the first time the matter has been raised.

wmcot
8th November 2007, 06:28
I don't see a problem with his father being at the races. It's good to support your kids even when they have grown up, and especially if you're their manager!

My only minor irritation is the constant UK F1 coverage insisting on interviews with Anthony Hamilton at least once a weekend. JB's dad was on camera, but not interviewed constantly. (I don't even know his first name, where I feel I know to much about Anthony.)

SGWilko
8th November 2007, 12:55
I don't see a problem with his father being at the races. It's good to support your kids even when they have grown up, and especially if you're their manager!

My only minor irritation is the constant UK F1 coverage insisting on interviews with Anthony Hamilton at least once a weekend. JB's dad was on camera, but not interviewed constantly. (I don't even know his first name, where I feel I know to much about Anthony.)

His name is John, and he was interviewed quite a bit, especially when JB was doing rather well..... (remember that?)

I just think the season that LH has had, ITV has wanted to get as much as they can of Lewis, and as PR access was restricted, who is the next best person to turn to?

PSfan
9th November 2007, 07:17
His name is John, and he was interviewed quite a bit, especially when JB was doing rather well..... (remember that?)

I just think the season that LH has had, ITV has wanted to get as much as they can of Lewis, and as PR access was restricted, who is the next best person to turn to?

Thanks, if there was ever any need for me to justify watching and recording the Speedtv's F1 coverage over TSN's (ITV feed) it would be this, after all, Peter only interviews Anthony maybe once every 3 or 4 races.

And while I can accept that ITV is gonna show what they think the ITV viewers want to see (Shame that us canadian viewers are also subjected to that torture as well, poor souls forced to watch the TSN coverage) Why does the FOM controlled camera's (I think that's who ultimately controls the race coverager) insist on showing Anthony, even if for 2-5 secs at least once during every televised practice, during every qualifying, and during every race! I have VHS tapes with races dating back to 95 and I can guarantee in the next couple weeks while I re-record them onto DVD that No-one that is not employed by the FIA, FOM, any Formula 1 team, payed by some broadcaster to be there gets as much screen time as Anthony Hamilton did this season.

wmcot
9th November 2007, 07:24

I also liked the SpeedTV coverage better than the ITV coverage. Sometimes ITV seemed to be having a "love fest" with Lewis Hamilton - you weren't sure that anyone else was even racing by watching the pre-race show! Admittedly, most of this didn't have anything to do with Anthony Hamilton, but you could be sure of at least one interview with him in the pre-race. Speed provided the more balanced coverage by interviewing most of the drivers throughout the year.

DaveTaylor
9th November 2007, 22:33
I'll agree with the 'love fest' theory, i'm not disputing that hamilton is a good driver but the british media hype is over the top, would it be the same if he was in a super aguri like mr davidson (brit) i think not.
I don't think we heard anything of davidson, well only when he went off.
And as for hamilton snr what the hell is this 'we' everytime he is interviewed as far bs i'm aware F1 is still a single seater series

tinchote
10th November 2007, 04:20
I also liked the SpeedTV coverage better than the ITV coverage. Sometimes ITV seemed to be having a "love fest" with Lewis Hamilton - you weren't sure that anyone else was even racing by watching the pre-race show! Admittedly, most of this didn't have anything to do with Anthony Hamilton, but you could be sure of at least one interview with him in the pre-race. Speed provided the more balanced coverage by interviewing most of the drivers throughout the year.

That's because they lost Scott Speed ;) :p :

wmcot
10th November 2007, 08:52
That's because they lost Scott Speed ;) :p :

What is?