PDA

View Full Version : Flight of the Conchords

MrJan
31st October 2007, 20:24
Anyone else been watching this on BBC4? (or already seen it in America or heard of them if you're a Kiwi).

It's not the best show in the world but it always makes me smile. It's about these two Kiwis trying to make it big in New York. They claim to be New Zealand's fourth favourite folk/comedy duo (they were third but got over taken by Like Of The Conchords, a tribute band who do all their songs just a bit better)

There have been far better comedies but in a world where we get endless copies of the Friends formula it's refreshing to see something different, like a Kiwi Mighty Boosh :D :up:

LeonBrooke
31st October 2007, 20:30
I haven't seen it but heard it's good.

It is nice to see a couple of New Zealanders giving it a go and doing it their own way.

Mind you, New Zealand TV made in New Zealand is just awful - I would like to apologise to anyone who's seen Shortland Street.

Drew
31st October 2007, 23:10
I've seen a few things on youtube. It seems to be more about being 'random' than funny. But I thought Hiphopapotamous was hilarious :)

MrJan
31st October 2007, 23:28
That's what first got me interested in them before the TV show started because Colin Murray played it one night.

Random has always been quite a big part of what I find funny. Having grown up with my parents playing Monty Python records and Vivian Stanshall then I tend to prefer stuff like that more than formulaic s***e like Friends or Will and Grace.

Drew
1st November 2007, 00:52
Hmm yes well, it's very studenty to love random things. My friends love all these things like "burnt face man" and what have you, but to me they all just seem stupid.

Each to their own!

Azumanga Davo
1st November 2007, 04:47
Mind you, New Zealand TV made in New Zealand is just awful - I would like to apologise to anyone who's seen Shortland Street.

Not good enough, I still want my compensation cheque made out to the usual address thanks. ;)

Flight of the Conchords have some tunes to chuckle to, not brilliant but definitely one I remember for a long time.

ShiftingGears
1st November 2007, 07:56
Albi the Rascist dragon is a great song. :D Flight of the Conchords are damn great :up:

Caroline
1st November 2007, 13:25
I liked their radio series more. Just seemed much funnier to me. :)

Andrewmcm
1st November 2007, 13:46
I'll have to check it out, I like The Mighty Boosh.

Arrested Development is still the funniest sitcom though.