PDA

View Full Version : Big screens at BTCC races

Steelrat
30th October 2007, 11:29
Well, on BTCC.net Mr. Gow has stated that MSV will have a large screen for the GP circuit race at Brands at the end of the season. One is a start and all we need now is for Thruxton, Snetterton and maybe Donnington to follow suit .....

http://www.btcc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5268

P

Dave B
30th October 2007, 11:33
They cost a LOT of money. MSV can probably justify it at Brands because it holds a lot of meetings throughout the year. I'm not sure that other circuits would benefit so much, but it's a good move by Dr P. :up:

thetrooper_uk
30th October 2007, 12:27
It is a good start but where do you think they will place it. It will have to be in view of the stands or they may lose money from people not sitting there as they can't see the screen. Also it would justify a price increase on the stand tickets if they had a visable screen.

Mark
30th October 2007, 12:48
How much money do they cost to rent? The ones I've seen at BTCC venues seem to arrive on a truck and they are just hoisted up on race day, then when the races are over they drive away, i.e. no installation costs.

BDunnell
30th October 2007, 12:54
The BTCC used to have them on a more regular basis, didn't it? As I recall, Dickie Davies used to 'introduce' the 'coverage'.

Mark
30th October 2007, 13:45
When BMP first took over in 2001 it said there would be big screens at every race. And certainly when I went to most of the races back in 2002 that certainly was the case. They weren't the biggest big screens you've ever seen but they were very useful for when the cars went out of sight.

It's little things like that which make you more likely to want to go to the track instead of watch it on TV. Something which has been lost in recent years IMO.

BDunnell
30th October 2007, 13:52
I'm thinking back to 1996, in fact.

BTCC2
30th October 2007, 18:33
In 1996 I think they were at the 3 main circuits (Brands Hatch, Silverstone and Donington Park)

But as has been said in 2001 and 2002 they were at every track and just arrived on the back of a truck and parked at the busiest part of the track.

Allyc85
30th October 2007, 20:09
Ive always thought these would be great at Thruxton. Most of the action is either at the complex or the chicane and if you move the action is where you were 5 minutes ago!

Jona
30th October 2007, 21:32
There was one at Donington Park in 2004 for the final of the BTCC and BTCC masters.

Steelrat
30th October 2007, 21:37
It is a good start but where do you think they will place it. It will have to be in view of the stands or they may lose money from people not sitting there as they can't see the screen. Also it would justify a price increase on the stand tickets if they had a visable screen.

When they had the screen for the WTCC in 2005 it was left up for the BTCC meet the following(?) week. It was placed on the south bank by Graham Hill Bend and could be viewed from the pit straight through to 3/4 way up to Druids .....

P

PDS
30th October 2007, 21:52
It looks as if different Championship organisers have different priorities!

There was a screen at the DTM at Brands, and they used the short circuit!

BDunnell
30th October 2007, 22:00

Different budgets, more like.

Steelrat
30th October 2007, 22:03

Well, Alan Gow always insists it's down to the circuit:

http://www.btcc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4398

But I don't see why BTCC can't use a mobile one or two as part of the traveling circus ...

P

Delenn
30th October 2007, 22:23
I had an email conversation with Jonathan Palmer about this after the DTM in 2006. He showed me the maths, and at current BTCC audiences, 3 big screens (2 on South Bank, one towards Clearways and one towards the Megastore grandstand, and one at the bottom of Paddock Hill for that grandstand) would add £2 to every ticket.

I think it is worth it, but some may not.

peewhee
31st October 2007, 01:13
I had an email conversation with Jonathan Palmer about this after the DTM in 2006. He showed me the maths, and at current BTCC audiences, 3 big screens (2 on South Bank, one towards Clearways and one towards the Megastore grandstand, and one at the bottom of Paddock Hill for that grandstand) would add £2 to every ticket.

I think it is worth it, but some may not.
But you don't need 3 screens at Brands. Two is more than enough!

1 at the bottom of paddock for the mass watching there. And 1 on southbank for everyone in the stands to see.

One would really be sufficient. Positioned on southbank for those in the grandstands and at paddock to see!

wedge
31st October 2007, 14:01

Too right!

There was a screen for the FIA GTs at Silverstone but none for ALMS!

PDS
31st October 2007, 17:56
Well, Alan Gow always insists it's down to the circuit:
http://www.btcc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4398

Yes I know... My comment was not a criticism; it was a statement of fact!

In the BTCC, circuit amenities are organised by the individual circuits. In other countries, it is not!

I assume that the BTCC are not getting any 'gate money' from the events. If they were perhaps they would have a say in those decisions?

thetrooper_uk
1st November 2007, 16:43
I assume that the BTCC are not getting any 'gate money' from the events. If they were perhaps they would have a say in those decisions?

The BTCC will get some gate money as there would be no point in having the racing otherwise. It would not survive on it's own.

Mp3 Astra
1st November 2007, 22:41
The BTCC will get some gate money as there would be no point in having the racing otherwise. It would not survive on it's own.

Isn't it the tracks that pay the BTCC for the privelage of hosting the races? Then the tracks get all the ticket and food money for themselves. I'm not sure but this would be quite logical.

VXR-4-Eva
3rd November 2007, 13:33
They havent had one at donington for yrs. maybe they should concider it for the Old Hairpin? And they normally have one at the luffield complex @ silverstone but they didn't for the brit GT/F3.

Mark
4th November 2007, 21:53
£2 on every ticket with average attendance of 10,000 would give a price of £20,000 per go.

thetrooper_uk
5th November 2007, 10:49
Isn't it the tracks that pay the BTCC for the privelage of hosting the races? Then the tracks get all the ticket and food money for themselves. I'm not sure but this would be quite logical.
Whatever, the track has to pay them money wither it's from the gate money or a set fee.

Mark
5th November 2007, 10:55
Usually the BTCC will say "We want £xxx to come to your track", then it is up to the track to recoup that from gate receipts.

Sometimes the total income from ticket sales does not cover the sanction fee, and the circuit makes a loss on the day. But they get the money back because a big event like the BTCC serves to promote the venue for the likes of track days etc.

tintin
5th November 2007, 21:38
£2 on every ticket with average attendance of 10,000 would give a price of £20,000 per go.

That was £2 on a ticket at Brands, where the attendance on Sundays is over 25,000.

So that's £50k for three screens - or about £16k each. Which sounds about right (for a three-day hire).

BeeJ_UK
6th November 2007, 12:17
They havent had one at donington for yrs. maybe they should concider it for the Old Hairpin? And they normally have one at the luffield complex @ silverstone but they didn't for the brit GT/F3.

2004 is the last time I remember them having a screen for BTCC, they did have one for GP Live this year and I would think that they would have them for MotorGP but do not know as I have always been marshaling elsewhere when the MotorGP is on at Donny

petrolhead ben
10th November 2007, 23:34
You certainly wouldn't need big screens at brands hatch when they are racing on the Indy curcuit. I've been there twice this year and sat in the paddock hill bend stands and you can virtually see the whole circuit. The only bit you can't see is when they round the top of druids behind the trees. It's a fantastic veiwpoint to look from.
However when I was there for the wtcc they raced on the gp track and you do miss a lot when they are on the back part of the circuit. Mind you trackside commontators were good fun to listen to.