PDA

View Full Version : F1 Calendars 2009 onwards

Safeman89
26th October 2007, 17:43
With Valencia and Singapore being added next year, and Dubai in 2009, we have three very exciting new tracks in prospect. With the additions of India and South Korea in 2010, and possibly some other new tracks, such as a new track in the USA, the amount of races in as eason is likely to go up, but some current races will have to be taken off. So which tracks do you all think will be taken off, and which tracks would you like to see taken off?

I would personally like to see Bahrain taken off. There is no doubt its the worst track in use in F1, but the fact its where it is means that is unlikely.

I can't help thinking the Malaysian Grand Prix is under threat, with Singapore coming on and not a great a deal of interest in Malaysia

passmeatissue
26th October 2007, 18:54
Personally I wouldn't miss Monaco, or Hungary.

DazzlaF1
26th October 2007, 20:44
In My Opinion, if Interlagos were taken off the calendar, you wouldnt find me upset.

philipbain
26th October 2007, 23:57
Monaco won't go from the calendar, there is too much tradition and the sponsors love it as do the fans (it gets some of the biggest TV audiences of the year). I'm not sure about the sustainability of 2 races in Spain, France has been in danger in recent times (Monaco is pretty much in France anyway!!), Hungary is a snoozefest but it's place on the calendar is upsettingly secure, Britain should be ok provided Silverstone do the upgrades in time, Malaysia is a possible one to go, the locals have never embraced the event, China looks secure despite a lack of local interest & Japan deserves 2 races on enthusiasm alone!

I think the calendar will expand to 20 races in the next few years along with a virtual elimination of in season testing outside GP weekends.

ShiftingGears
27th October 2007, 01:15
I like Monaco and Hungary, they're both unique racetracks. Slow and don't really give good racing, but that comes down to the cars. Drivers love both of these tracks because they have flow.

I don't know where the French GP would go...Magny Cours is still the best option really. That is, until Bernie gets a Paris GP. The rest are all fairly stable, I think.

I wouldn't miss Bahrain, Tilkenheim, or Indianapolis or Fuji if they left. The good thing about Fuji, however, is that its in a great place for rain.

Placid
27th October 2007, 02:23
In My Opinion, if Interlagos were taken off the calendar, you wouldnt find me upset.

In my opinion, Interlagos stays. With traditions of Fittipaldi, Piquet Sr, Senna, Barrichello, and Massa.

jens
27th October 2007, 11:18
Personally I'd like to see Barcelona, Magny-Cours and Hungaroring making room for other circuits in the calendar.

I don't think Sakhir is that bad. There are same good overtaking places and some challenging sections. Just the weather is so consistent there and Sakhir gives so few surprises to drivers and teams, so I think that's partly why not much happens there in terms of racing.

Brown, Jon Brow
27th October 2007, 11:23
Interlagos is one of the best tracks for overtaking :up:

ChrisS
27th October 2007, 15:26
I can't help thinking the Malaysian Grand Prix is under threat, with Singapore coming on and not a great a deal of interest in Malaysia

I believe Malaysia has a contract until 2015

Mark
27th October 2007, 16:08
Indianapolis is already gone!

aryan
27th October 2007, 20:39
I personally would want to see minimum 25 races a year, so IMO there's space for all.

But if tracks have to ditched, my list would be:

1. Barcelona, Magny Cour, Indianapolis
2. Imola, Hungry, Bahrain, Hokkenheim

The only good Tilke track has been Turkey really, I wouldn't miss most of his designs.

jso1985
27th October 2007, 20:43
unless France or Germany get a decent track, they should be dropped or rotated.

Malaysia has never really "took off" so maybe that's one to go or rotate with Singapore(to whom I have the bad feeling the race will be a disaster)

Indy should not comeback

I won't believe in the South Korean Gp until they have a track... ask any CC fan about it...

Cozzie
29th October 2007, 04:53
There is no way in hell F1 would scrap the jewel in its crown (Monaco) but Hungary, Spain and Malaysia could all be lost without any tears :) .

harvick#1
29th October 2007, 05:13
Interlagos is one of the best tracks for overtaking :up:

so is Shanghi :D that is one awesome track

wmcot
29th October 2007, 06:19
I would love to see Bernie actually try to make F1 appealing to US fans! With weak IRL and ChampCar series, Bernie would be smart to get a race back in the US and work a deal with a major TV network to show all the races (even on tape delay.) I think that Bernie wants an instant TV audience and fanbase without spending the effort to create one!

Mark
29th October 2007, 08:31
I would love to see Bernie actually try to make F1 appealing to US fans!

Are they really that fussed? The USA is already oversupplied with racing, you have NASCAR, IndyCar, Champ Car.. are proportionately enough people bothered about F1?

Plus the fact that many of the car manufacturers, e.g. Renault, FIAT don't really have a big presence in the US car markets, and those that do usually have seperate divisions in the USA.

Given all these factors it is my opinion that North America can only really support one grand prix, and Montreal is the ideal location for that.

Storm
29th October 2007, 18:02
Since Valencia is in , I don't see why we need the Catalunya test track! (its a nice challenge for cars but crap for racing)

Also Malaysia or Singapore, Dubai or Bahrain (why do we need 1 country to have more than 2 races?, although these are separate nations, they are practically neighbours)

Hungary, Hockenheim and Magny Cours needs to go.

aryan
30th October 2007, 12:26
Since Valencia is in , I don't see why we need the Catalunya test track! (its a nice challenge for cars but crap for racing)

Also Malaysia or Singapore, Dubai or Bahrain (why do we need 1 country to have more than 2 races?, although these are separate nations, they are practically neighbours)

ummmm, Last time I checked, the distance between Malaysia and Singapore, or UAE and Bahrain was no less than the distance between neighbours such as Hokkenhiem and Nurburgring and Spa or Magny Cour and Monte Carlo, or Imola and Monza.

Racing pedigree, that's something else though...

I think it's perfectly alright for a country with a racing history, to host two (or even more) GPs if it can attract the crowd, and has decent tracks (both racing wise and faciliti wise). For example the UK, with such a vast F1 following and the base of more than half of the F1 teams really deserves to have more than 1. How awesome would be a GP around the Scottish loch...