PDA

View Full Version : Car free Olympics in 2012

Daniel
23rd October 2007, 12:15
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/23/car_free_2012_olympics/

Sounds a bit silly to me tbh :mark:

BDunnell
23rd October 2007, 12:31
On the contrary, I think it's eminently sensible. Getting there by car would be a nightmare, providing all the required parking spaces would take up unnecessary space and, if all goes to plan, public transport should be excellent.

Daniel
23rd October 2007, 12:37
On the contrary, I think it's eminently sensible. Getting there by car would be a nightmare, providing all the required parking spaces would take up unnecessary space and, if all goes to plan, public transport should be excellent.
But who was going to go there by car anyway? :)

Mark
23rd October 2007, 12:44
I think lots of people would have the idea that they would be able to drive to somewhere on the outskirts, say a junction on the M25, then bus or train it in from there, but apparently that is not going to be possible.

BDunnell
23rd October 2007, 13:46

No-one. That's partly my point.

Daniel
23rd October 2007, 13:52
No-one. That's partly my point.
So why ban them I say :p just going to cheese people off unnecesarily ;)

ChrisS
23rd October 2007, 15:01
the problem wont be with the people going to the events, it will be with the people working/living near the events. not being allowed to drive to your own house for two months is ridiculous

As it always happens with the Olympics, after the initial excitement of the opening ceremony etc..., local residents will realize that its just a big inconvenience.

Hazell B
23rd October 2007, 22:08

Everyone who doesn't live within easy public transport distance, of course. That means most of the UK :p :

There is no way on earth I would now go. The Tube and busses will be full of those charming young men who can spot an out of towner a mile off and nick their cash and phone. I'm not travelling alone after an event on public transport - it's just not worth the risk these days.

Anyway, none of it will happen. People will arrive by car, park up and pay the fine just like they do in any city with park and ride all the time, year in year out.

Mark
24th October 2007, 16:43
Well I was not planning on going anyway. Too much hassle all around.

Daniel
24th October 2007, 16:44
Everyone who doesn't live within easy public transport distance, of course. That means most of the UK :p :

There is no way on earth I would now go. The Tube and busses will be full of those charming young men who can spot an out of towner a mile off and nick their cash and phone. I'm not travelling alone after an event on public transport - it's just not worth the risk these days.

Anyway, none of it will happen. People will arrive by car, park up and pay the fine just like they do in any city with park and ride all the time, year in year out.
What I meant was who was planning to drive into London itself. If I'm very much mistaken is that not where the restrictions will apply? I just wouldn't drive into London full stop :) Nothing to stop you getting near enough with the car and then leaving it :)

jim mcglinchey
24th October 2007, 19:01
I think we can expect a public transport strike the day after the opening ceremony...those cunning little TGWU chappies.

Mark
24th October 2007, 19:29
Dan, they have made clear that this approach will not be tolerated!

Drew
25th October 2007, 10:31
I think we can expect a public transport strike the day after the opening ceremony...those cunning little TGWU chappies.

Brilliant, I so hope they do!

I was thinking I might go and watch sailing around Weymouth, but I think I won't bother any more.

This kind of thing is just going to annoy people more and make them dislike the government and the authorities even more.

Mark
25th October 2007, 10:33
What is being held in Newcastle? If it is city centre then I can walk!

BDunnell
25th October 2007, 12:46
There is no way on earth I would now go. The Tube and busses will be full of those charming young men who can spot an out of towner a mile off and nick their cash and phone.

I don't quite understand this,. I live in London but don't come from here originally. What makes me blend in when I go into central London and someone visiting from Harrogate or Bristol not?

Hazell B
31st October 2007, 17:36
Stop being so childishly picky, Ben. Jeez, you moaned at somebody for acting just like the above towards you the other week :rolleyes:

You know full well what I meant. Pickpockets will be out in force and anyone looking at the timetables will be targets, more so than normal. The police are already expecting and training for the Games with just that subject the main topic. I would have thought they were going at it too early, but I happen to know the Eventing's main course builder and he was telling me about some of the security measures they've already been told about that are being worked on now.

It seems that most of the events not taking place in the main athletics arena(s) (I don't know what's happening where) are going to be non-car destinations and almost everything else such as equestrian, sailing, rowing and so on will just have park and ride type transport due to a lack of parking. So, it's actually exactly what we'd already assumed as a nation anyway - this little 'green' news snippet is simply a PR exercise to keep us thinking the Games are actually up to date and not falling behind on the planning front.

We can expect at least one news story each month until 2010 along similar lines. I can't wait :mark:

BDunnell
10th November 2007, 11:35
I wasn't being childishly picky. The idea that London is quite as unsafe as you suggest just isn't true. Of course there will be an increased danger of pickpockets around any major public event, but this is no reason not to attend. Lots and lots of people from outside London will come to the Olympics and not be pickpocketed.

Daniel
10th November 2007, 17:33
I came from Australia and wasn't pickpocketed. To be honest I felt safer in London than I would in Mankchester.

Drew
10th November 2007, 18:14
I somehow think that the pickpockets is not the biggest thing to worry about when hosting the Olympics in London.

Hazell B
14th November 2007, 22:34
I wasn't being childishly picky.

Yes, you were. You wouldn't have commented on the topic, especially in that way, if almost anybody else on this entire forum had posted what I did.

Are you honestly telling me that I'm as safe in London, looking at timetables at night and then walking to my car, as I am watching TV at home? Don't be so bloody stupid. Forcing several thousand people to leave any event at the same time, travel by packed coach, train or whatever, then walk to their vehicles in large parks is probably a hundred times more dangerous than sitting home watching TV when muggings are concerned.

Being pathetic and picky about my posts is just getting a bit much at times, Mr Bunnel. You're the reason I'm not here very often of late. You're the reason several of us simply don't bother posting. I hope that makes you feel nice - because bugger all else appears to in this world.

Get some friends and leave me alone!