PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about Lewis ?

alfa155btcc
23rd October 2007, 10:37
Hi Guys,

I have been away for a while but back now.

What do you guys think about Lewis Hamilton, I personally think yes he is a great driver but can not stand him, i think he is very cocky and a bit a head of himself. I`ve watched all the coverage this year and yes it has been a very exciting season which you can hardly say that many times about F1, but that was because the Mc Laren was just another Ferrari with all the stolen data with the scandal earlier in the season allegidly. Also, not many of the drivers like him especially suttel after that dangerous driving in China.

I`m glad Raikonen won it, not a Ferrari fan but i think the best outcome for all happened on Sunday.
:beer:

F1boat
23rd October 2007, 10:40
I think that Lewis might be arrogant when winning, but gracious in defeat.

Valve Bounce
23rd October 2007, 10:44
Is this a new discussion, or is it some sort of an appendix to several other ongoing discussions?

SparkyKate
23rd October 2007, 10:44
I think that Lewis might be arrogant when winning, but gracious in defeat.

Gracious in defeat?? I have one word for you..Monaco.

Donney
23rd October 2007, 10:47
I don't have an opinion on him because we only get to see what the media want us to see and we have to remember we are talking about twenty something year old people, so they are not exactly fully formed adults. I 'd be much cockier in his situation and probably most of us also would.

In any case I am sure he is a great driver and will prove it in the next years.

Valve Bounce
23rd October 2007, 10:49
He seems to be a nice person than Benny Cousins. :eek:

ioan
23rd October 2007, 11:03
What do you guys think about Lewis Hamilton...

Paraphrasing ArrowsFA1: "Rhett Butler's words spring to mind!"

tinchote
23rd October 2007, 11:07
What do you think about Lewis?

That he is being discussed in too many threads ;) :p :

rohanweb
23rd October 2007, 11:16
That he is being discussed in too many threads ;) :p :

just too many threads.. you are right

Tomi
23rd October 2007, 11:52
I think he is a good driver who surprised quite many included his teamboss, it will be interesting to see how he does next year when he is the nr1 driver in the team. I have a feeling that all the spy things and the last GP this year will effect McLaren quite much, it will be interesting to see if they can come up with a car that can match the Ferraris.

rohanweb
23rd October 2007, 11:53
ROOKIE RECORD BREAKER LEWIS HAMILTON

He may not have capped his astounding debut year with the world title, but, as Lewis Hamilton himself says, he has still enjoyed a "phenomenal" first year in Formula 1.

Indeed it's been a season in which he has ripped up the record books and although one landmark eluded him in Brazil, he has still achieved many more...

Lowering the benchmark

Youngest world championship leader – 22 years, 4 months, six days (Spain 2007)

First rookie to win, take pole position and set fastest lap in a McLaren

Youngest driver to score pole, win, fastest lap hat-trick – Japan 2007

Straight on the pace

Most points in a debut season – 109

Most podiums in debut season – 12

Most races led in debut season – 12

Most pole positions in debut season – 6

Most front row starts in debut season – 12

Fastest driver to reach 100 career points (15 races)

Most consecutive podiums from debut race – 9 (Australia-Britain 2007)

Most consecutive points finishes from debut race – 9 (Australia-Britain 2007)

Most consecutive number of races led from debut race – 7 (Australia-USA 2007)

Britain's instant hero

Youngest British driver to win in F1 – 22 years, 5 months, 3 days (Canada 2007)

Youngest British driver to score pole position – 22 years, 5 months, 2 days (Canada 2007)

Youngest British driver to register fastest lap – 22 years, 3 months, 1 day (Malaysia 2007)

Youngest British driver to finish on podium – 22 years, 2 months, 11 days (Australia 2007)

Youngest British driver to qualify on front row – 22 years, 3 months, 8 days (Bahrain 2007)

Youngest British driver to lead a race – 22 years, 2 months, 11 days (Australia 2007)

Most points for a British driver in one season – 109 (Previous record Nigel Mansell, 108)

samuratt
23rd October 2007, 13:15
Bonhead of the race: Hamilton. You can't throw away a championship that was on the bag that way. He was very stupid to fight his position back with Alonso when all he needed was a 5th position. Furthermore let me remind you all that he alone has been unable to get 4 points in the final 2 races of the seasson. And don't blame the car or the team, cause the McLaren is the solely responsible for enable him to battle for the tittle till the last race. Had he been driving a Spyker he wouldn't be the rookie of the seasson.

Anyway he is a very talented driver and if he learns from this year he will become champion someday soon.

cheers

Ranger
23rd October 2007, 13:19
I'd say Fisichella for this race. That crash was just dumb.

For the last two races its gotta be Hamilton though. But again, he's learnt the hard way, which can't be bad.

transistorc1845
23rd October 2007, 17:10

He may not have capped his astounding debut year with the world title, but, as Lewis Hamilton himself says, he has still enjoyed a "phenomenal" first year in Formula 1.

Indeed it's been a season in which he has ripped up the record books and although one landmark eluded him in Brazil, he has still achieved many more...

Lowering the benchmark

Straight on the pace

Britain's instant hero

Youngest British driver to score pole position – 22 years, 5 months, 2 days (Canada 2007)

Youngest British driver to register fastest lap – 22 years, 3 months, 1 day (Malaysia 2007)

Youngest British driver to finish on podium – 22 years, 2 months, 11 days (Australia 2007)

Youngest British driver to qualify on front row – 22 years, 3 months, 8 days (Bahrain 2007)

Youngest British driver to lead a race – 22 years, 2 months, 11 days (Australia 2007)

Most points for a British driver in one season – 109 (Previous record Nigel Mansell, 108)

Yeah, all this Achievements accomplished driving a Ferrari disguised as Mclaren!!

samuratt
23rd October 2007, 18:58
Bonhead of the race: Hamilton. You can't throw away a championship that was on the bag that way. He was very stupid to fight his position back with Alonso when all he needed was a 5th position. Furthermore let me remind you all that he alone has been unable to get 4 points in the final 2 races of the seasson. And don't blame the car or the team, cause the McLaren is the solely responsible for enable him to battle for the tittle till the last race. Had he been driving a Spyker he wouldn't be the rookie of the seasson.

Anyway he is a very talented driver and if he learns from this year he will become champion someday soon.

cheers

Sorry but this post does't belong here! i got confused with so many open threads in my browser :D

Tazio
23rd October 2007, 20:12
Hamilton is a great natural, same as Fred. Not in style, but they both are naturally quick,
especially in reaction time. I think Hamilton has a natural smoothness in his style that is very rare.
I also think Lewis proved he needs to mature; He's very aggressive, but not very tough.
Fred has two wdc's and he still needs to grow up!
At some point Hamilton has to become his own man first,
and a British racing institution second! JMHO

Crypt
23rd October 2007, 20:24
Eh, he's a good enough driver and was given a top-flight car his first time out. Obviously Ron Dennis wanted him in and saw he had a good driver. I have no doubt that Heikki, Nico, Kubica or even Ralf Schumacher could of done what Hamilton has done this season. Cept Ralf wouldn't of made rookie mistakes, he would of just crashed.

Anyhoo, he revealed his true colors during the season as a bit of a pill. Vettel has more graces than he does and he is two years his younger. This is what happens when you get an ego installed on a kid and his father and the principle of an International racing team to fuel it.

He's good, maybe great. But I will never cheer for him.

alfa155btcc
23rd October 2007, 20:47

Geat Reply mate, how some people forget or is it selective memory :D

alfa155btcc
23rd October 2007, 20:49
Paraphrasing ArrowsFA1: "Rhett Butler's words spring to mind!"
and what are they ?
:s mokin:

leopard
24th October 2007, 03:42
I think Lewis is driver with great talent, but in the eyes of Alonso he is the pagemaker. :s

rohanweb
24th October 2007, 05:13
Yeah, all this Achievements accomplished driving a Ferrari disguised as Mclaren!!

yeh right..you really indeed forgotten what Lewis achieved in his previous championships & his real capability,he will not be sidekick to any champion that he would have had exciting races even in a spyker... Lewis's arrival fresh breath of air to F1 .. since MS's boring races at the expense of sidekicks & team orders...we all have had enough!

we will see off next year how good the mclaren mercedez & Lewis will be!

raikk
24th October 2007, 05:45

One word fo you... Alonso.. at least Hamilton moved on..If Hamilton was not so hyped people would not say he is arrogant or can't stand watching him...

wmcot
24th October 2007, 07:03
Lewis - plenty of talent. My advice to him would be to get clear of Ron Dennis ASAP!

alfa155btcc
24th October 2007, 11:24
yeh right..you really indeed forgotten what Lewis achieved in his previous championships & his real capability,he will not be sidekick to any champion that he would have had exciting races even in a spyker... Lewis's arrival fresh breath of air to F1 .. since MS's boring races at the expense of sidekicks & team orders...we all have had enough!

we will see off next year how good the mclaren mercedez & Lewis will be!

it was still in a Ferrari dressed up as a McLaren whatever excuses you want to give
:dozey:

alfa155btcc
24th October 2007, 11:25
Lewis - plenty of talent. My advice to him would be to get clear of Ron Dennis ASAP!

Hamilton is very arrogant and i agree this has alot to do with ron dennis, his face when interviewed after race on sunday, priceless :s mokin:

ten-tenths
25th October 2007, 03:38
can't stand him.

i think he is a brilliant driver who is prone to uncharacteristic mistakes when really pressured, he is a political animal who works the press and navigates within the team to great effect and is ruthless in his quest to win. he is smug and arrogant and either you love him or you hate him. well i just found my new replacement for schumi!!

i have a feeling he will win the WDC multiple times before it is all over.

Valve Bounce
25th October 2007, 03:51
A very good driver that has enraged many here because he is a rookie and he is very good. They are just bloody jealous.

Ari
25th October 2007, 04:06
I don't like him at all.... and I don't like the way he's smiled knowingly while the team screwed his WDC team mate.

leopard
25th October 2007, 04:13
i have a feeling he will win the WDC multiple times before it is all over.

true, especially with Massa no longer drives Ferrari, Alonso drives a not competitive car or keep the words on early retirement.

Ari
25th October 2007, 04:41
A very good driver that has enraged many here because he is a rookie and he is very good. They are just bloody jealous.

Possibly some truth in that.

I think people are just a little edgy because he's walked into F1 in the best car and is cocky as all hell about it. I wonder how many races the wonder-rookie would have won in a Spyker? Would Hamilton have finished the race at Monaco were he in anything but a McLaren? Doubtful.

That said, it's probably what the sport needs whether we like to admit it or not. I know for one that I've spent more time on and thinking about F1 this year because of Hamilton.

You can love him or hate him, but either way we all read the articles and we all have an opinion. It can only make the sport stronger.

Ultimately though, I'm completely bias being a Ferrari fan. :p

Valve Bounce
25th October 2007, 05:07

I think people are just a little edgy because he's walked into F1 in the best car and is cocky as all hell about it. I wonder how many races the wonder-rookie would have won in a Spyker? Would Hamilton have finished the race at Monaco were he in anything but a McLaren? Doubtful.

That said, it's probably what the sport needs whether we like to admit it or not. I know for one that I've spent more time on and thinking about F1 this year because of Hamilton.

You can love him or hate him, but either way we all read the articles and we all have an opinion. It can only make the sport stronger.

Well, Im bloody biased also, being a Bomber fan, but I did like to watch Benny play. So I guess while I follow Super Aguri and I like their drivers, I have to admit that Maybe they might not have done as well as Lewis if they had been gifted a drive with McLaren this year; or maybe ant might have. I guess we'll never know.

wmcot
25th October 2007, 06:03

Wow, we seem to be clones! I am a Ferrari fan, too, but Lewis has made the sport more interesting this year. There will be years when he's not in a top car and we will see how he handles that. It is interesting watching a career grow from the beginning. Kimi and Alonso started in lesser teams so most of us didn't pay too much attention to them at first. Lewis has been on everyone's radar since the first race.

ArrowsFA1
25th October 2007, 08:51
Kimi and Alonso started in lesser teams so most of us didn't pay too much attention to them at first. Lewis has been on everyone's radar since the first race.
I think there was a spotlight on both Raikkonen and Alonso from the moment they entered F1.

Alonso was highly rated by many and justifiably so, and his career was being carefully managed by Flavio - Minardi, test seat, competitive drive - It was mapped out for him in a similar way as the management of Hamilton's career although not over such a long period of time.

As for Kimi, the FIA put him on probabtion because he was thought to be too inexperienced to race in F1! He too was seen as a remarkable talent and has more than justified the hype.

Hamilton will continue to do the same.

There are 'great' and 'good' drivers in F1. We are lucky to have these three 'greats' in the current crop.

Trqster
25th October 2007, 09:16
Lewis is definately "special". One of the curious aspects for me, is that after just one season he was able to collect hatred and bad feelings from such a lot of people in a way that reminded me very much of Michael Schumacher.

samuratt
25th October 2007, 09:20
It was mapped out for him in a similar way as the management of Hamilton's career although not over such a long period of time.

You mean he skipped the leasson you learn by driving an uncompetitive car, and that, maybe, could have helped him to push the right button at the right time or keep an uncontrollable car on track when he needed???
:laugh:

ArrowsFA1
25th October 2007, 09:31
You mean he skipped the leasson you learn by driving an uncompetitive car, and that, maybe, could have helped him to push the right button at the right time or keep an uncontrollable car on track when he needed???
:laugh:
No.

leopard
25th October 2007, 09:57
I don't have any doubt about Lewis' talent, It maybe, to tell honestly, on top of any current drivers.

Under no circumstance we have to be realistic, the unharmonized relationship among the driver and the team has cost them ironically falling down after such long period of leading.

If they tried playing the game with a bit of smartness, and put aside the personal show-off they could have win the title one and two perfectly.

OmarF1
25th October 2007, 18:00
I'm getting a hard time with this one, as with every human being you can like some things about his persona and some others not, but, if you are a real F1 fan, you can't deny that the kid has some serious skills and for a 22 year old rookie has an outstanding mental strenght, he has taken the McLaren way beyond everybody's expectations (leaving aside the fact that the Macca was a race-winning car and the personal link with his boss).

On the other side, he may appear a little cocky sometimes, but winners aren't very humble these days, in an ego-jungle as F1 is, you must be really secure about yourself if you don't want to be eaten alive by the media, sponsors or other drivers, specially at very young age, and sometimes he may sound naive and even over the top, with things like "I was born to be champion".. but he's ok, he still has a lot to learn, and with a new trend of bringing drivers at earlier ages these days, this has become a teen drama queen sport.

cheers.

Tazio
25th October 2007, 18:09
I'm getting a hard time with this one, as with every human being you can like some things about his persona and some others not, but, if you are a real F1 fan, you can't deny that the kid has some serious skills and for a 22 year old rookie has an outstanding mental strenght, he has taken the McLaren way beyond everybody's expectations (leaving aside the fact that the Macca was a race-winning car and the personal link with his boss).

On the other side, he may appear a little cocky sometimes, but winners aren't very humble these days, in an ego-jungle as F1 is, you must be really secure about yourself if you don't want to be eaten alive by the media, sponsors or other drivers, specially at very young age, and sometimes he may sound naive and even over the top, with things like "I was born to be champion".. but he's ok, he still has a lot to learn, and with a new trend of bringing drivers at earlier ages these days, this has become a teen drama queen sport.

cheers.
I would like to see him demonstrate his outstanding mental strength while not hanging on to his father pinky finger!

OmarF1
25th October 2007, 18:30
I would like to see him demonstrate his outstanding mental strength while not hanging on to his father pinky finger!

Well that may be true, but I meant that he had the mental strenght to not feel intimidated of his 2xWDC team mate even from day 1, but that mental strenght it is easy to achieve if you have a father figure in your boss supporting you and hugging you all the time and your real dad almost placing the helmet on your head for you..I guess.

ten-tenths
25th October 2007, 18:31

it turned out funny but i love underdogs, or at least guys who used to be underdogs. and by definition that would mean i should be supporting hamilton, but man that guy was so good so fast and so cocky under ron's special treatment that somehow alonso became the outcast/underdog. i didn't mind hamilton until that whole 'swivel' incident. that's when i started to root against him.
jealous... hell yes!! i want to drive in f1, even for ron! :)

wedge
26th October 2007, 13:31
it turned out funny but i love underdogs, or at least guys who used to be underdogs. and by definition that would mean i should be supporting hamilton, but man that guy was so good so fast and so cocky under ron's special treatment that somehow alonso became the outcast/underdog. i didn't mind hamilton until that whole 'swivel' incident. that's when i started to root against him.
jealous... hell yes!! i want to drive in f1, even for ron! :)

Just wait till his opponents are in better cars. I saw Senna in new light in 1992/93, and Schumi redeemed himself, IMHO only just by a notch or two, in the late 90s.

When the late great journalist Denis 'Jenks' Jenkinson saw Senna driving an F1 car at a damp Spa he said: "It just like Gilles all over again" - I can't help but think of the same thing with Lewis.

ten-tenths
26th October 2007, 18:32
Just wait till his opponents are in better cars. I saw Senna in new light in 1992/93, and Schumi redeemed himself, IMHO only just by a notch or two, in the late 90s.

When the late great journalist Denis 'Jenks' Jenkinson saw Senna driving an F1 car at a damp Spa he said: "It just like Gilles all over again" - I can't help but think of the same thing with Lewis.

i have to admit on track, that guy overtakes like its no big deal. very jpm-ish but without the bonehead mistakes... (well until that last two races). you are right, he seems like he could take a decent car and make it perform. the guy is special and i am sure he will fight for the championship next year as well, but i hope kimi or alonso wins!

alfa155btcc
26th October 2007, 19:20

No jealousy on my part just cannot stand him very arrogant and cocky then again schuni was like that, may feel better about him as time goes on but very much doubt it
:s mokin:

Tazio
26th October 2007, 21:13
In the immortal words of Archie Bell "He can't only sing.
He can dance just about as good as he can walk"

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article.html?in_article_id=73126&in_page_id=58&ito=newsnow

passmeatissue
26th October 2007, 23:18
Don't forget Hamilton has been badly misquoted this year, things like the "go swivel", "I'm cooler than Kimi" and "I pressed the wrong button" were all made up by the media, but these still get repeated as though he said them.

jso1985
27th October 2007, 21:52
since his comment of "monkeys in the back" he looked way too arrogant for me.
in the end Alonso is also arrogant, but some reason I spot some "schumacher style" attitude in Hamilton and I don't like him as a driver

ArrowsFA1
29th October 2007, 10:22
This is what Lewis thinks of Lewis:

It wasn't a great feeling when the gearbox went in the last race, but I still thought I could win. Overall it was a fantastic season. I had so much to learn in such a short period of time, it was a great experience for me. I got to the first race and I was as physically and mentally focused as anyone - if not a little bit more. I had to use split-second decisions to make perfect judgements when the time came and did a pretty good job of it. But I didn't have the experience the other drivers had, I just had to take it as it came. I'm ranked No. 2 in the world and that's pretty good; it exceeded my expectations."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63685

Tazio
29th October 2007, 18:20
This is what Lewis thinks of Lewis:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63685
Modest fellow he is!

jens
29th October 2007, 19:27
I have to say that Lewis reminds me a lot of Michael. :) Both in positive and negative aspects. :p :

Lewis uses a similar "start psychology", being very defensive right after the start before Turn 1.
Hmm, an interesting parallel. Last year Michael tried to stay out on inters in Hungary to the end of the race... this year in China Lewis tries to stay out on inters as long as possible. :p :
Lewis has been criticized for cracking under pressure at the end of the season. Oh, how many times in his career Michael has been criticized for being unable to handle the pressure!
Both have been accused of having the FIA favoritism. :p : Both have been accused for using dirty moves (like LH in Japan) as they touch the boundaries of rules.

When Hamilton tried to rise from nowhere (18th?) in Brazil, it automatically reminded me Schumacher's drive from the back of the grid in Japan back in 1998. Earlier in his career Michael was criticized for being arrogant - like Lewis is now!

Both are/were great fighters on track and undoubtedly very quick. The only area, where it's hard to compare them, is that whether Lewis is able to lead the team the same way as Michael did.

It is my personal impression, but whenever I see Lewis on track, he looks to me like the so-called heir of Schumacher's crown, not Alonso or Rδikkφnen (as in recent years there have been a lot of talk, who would be the successor of MS as the ultimate benchmark in F1).

Sorry for the hype. :p :

BDunnell
29th October 2007, 20:05
Once again, jens, I think that's a fine assessment. :up:

passmeatissue
29th October 2007, 21:00
I can't imagine Hamilton deliberately running into Hill 1994 or Villeneuve 1997, nor putting Alonso on the grass down Hangar Straight, or blocking the track to end qualifying.

In his moves so far he hasn't touched anyone (I think? got touched at Monza) or put them off the track. I see him as very aggressive, maybe finding the limits of what is acceptable, but not an outright cheat. I didn't like the monkeys at the back comment either, but maybe it was said with a smile, for me it's points deducted rather than complete disillusionment.

I suspect he's not as clever as Michael, but he is formidable. Exceptionally confident but in an unforced way, he always seems to be in the middle of any group he's with. He just needs a Ross to save him from the strategy cockups. I wonder....no.

Malbec
29th October 2007, 22:05
I think you can level the accusation of arrogance at pretty much any of the frontrunners, if not the entire field. None of these guys are normal, they have the self-confidence to dice with each other at 200mph so self-belief isn't going to be lacking. How many times have we heard drivers make errors or not perform as well as they ought to and blame everything, everyone else and their dog and totally fail to even acknowledge the possibility they might have been at fault? Some might have their media skills polished like Hamilton clearly has but underneath they are all as arrogant as each other.

If anything it is people like Trulli who act normally and have the tendency to self-criticise if not performing optimally who are seen as 'weak'. Frankly I think he's the most levelheaded guy out there, possibly with Heidfeld.

BDunnell
29th October 2007, 22:06
If anything it is people like Trulli who act normally and have the tendency to self-criticise if not performing optimally who are seen as 'weak'.

And then get criticised for being 'soft' and the like.

BeansBeansBeans
30th October 2007, 09:00
Most top-level racing drivers are arrogant, but no more arrogant than many who post on here.

leopard
30th October 2007, 09:10
Not much people would humbly acknowledge that, one among the rare. :)

Daniel
30th October 2007, 09:31
He's undoubtedly talented but his singleminded drive to win races rather than get points has and will be his undoing. When it comes to the pointy end of the season he showed that he couldn't drive for the championship. Fighting with people you don't need to always ends up with you losing.

If he drops the "try to win every race" attitude he could win a fair few championships. But if he doesn't he'll end up like Colin McRae (RIP :( ) who spectacularly underachieved for the talent that he had and the cars that he drove.

I also don't like the air of arrogance he seems to give off. Plus he shops at ASDA and I hate ASDA :p

Good rookie year but he was in an excellent car. Lets see how he does when his car isn't as good.

SteveA
30th October 2007, 09:38
I can't imagine Hamilton deliberately running into Hill 1994 or Villeneuve 1997

Well of course not - his Kart wouldn't have been a match for their F1 cars!

;)

ShiftingGears
30th October 2007, 10:08
He's undoubtedly talented but his singleminded drive to win races rather than get points has and will be his undoing. When it comes to the pointy end of the season he showed that he couldn't drive for the championship. Fighting with people you don't need to always ends up with you losing.

If he drops the "try to win every race" attitude he could win a fair few championships. But if he doesn't he'll end up like Colin McRae (RIP :( ) who spectacularly underachieved for the talent that he had and the cars that he drove.

David Richards once said that you can bring a driver who can give 110% and crash (like Colin) down to 100% but you couldn't bring a driver who gives 90% up to 100%. I don't think Colin really came down to 100% (maybe in 2003 he did... but that's another issue) but considering Lewis is 22 now, then I'm sure he can.

It's not un-noteworthy that many people said that Senna would struggle against Prost under the tighter 1988 fuel regulations as his style was quite aggressive on the throttle (compared to Mr. Smooth himself). However, among other things, Senna adopted Prost's smooth gearshift style (they still had the H-pattern then), and guess who won the title...

Ranger
30th October 2007, 10:12

David Richards once said that you can bring a driver who can give 110% and crash (like Colin) down to 100% but you couldn't bring a driver who gives 90% up to 100%. I don't think Colin really came down to 100% (maybe in 2003 he did... but that's another issue) but considering Lewis is 22 now, then I'm sure he can.

It's not un-noteworthy that many people said that Senna would struggle against Prost under the tighter 1988 fuel regulations as his style was quite aggressive on the throttle (compared to Mr. Smooth himself). However, among other things, Senna adopted Prost's smooth gearshift style (they still had the H-pattern then), and guess who won the title that year...

ArrowsFA1
30th October 2007, 11:15
He's undoubtedly talented but his singleminded drive to win races rather than get points has and will be his undoing.
Has been his undoing? I agree. He did not need to race Alonso in Brazil, or even Kimi in China but I'd rather he do that than 'cruise & collect'.

Will be his undoing? I disagree. Hamilton is an exciting racer which may be his undoing at times, but with experience those times will be fewer and fewer.

Amid the criticism of Hamilton this year it is easy to forget we are talking about a first year F1 rookie. We've spent most of the year talking about him as a genuine championship challenger in the same breath as Alonso & Raikkonen, and deservedly so, but those two drivers have 223 GP's worth of experience between them, most of it at the highest level. Hamilton has shown that he more than deserves to live in that company already.

Daniel
30th October 2007, 11:19
Has been his undoing? I agree. He did not need to race Alonso in Brazil, or even Kimi in China but I'd rather he do that than 'cruise & collect'.

Will be his undoing? I disagree. Hamilton is an exciting racer which may be his undoing at times, but with experience those times will be fewer and fewer.

Amid the criticism of Hamilton this year it is easy to forget we are talking about a first year F1 rookie. We've spent most of the year talking about him as a genuine championship challenger in the same breath as Alonso & Raikkonen, and deservedly so, but those two drivers have 223 GP's worth of experience between them, most of it at the highest level. Hamilton has shown that he more than deserves to live in that company already.
Yes but if Colin had cruised and collected we'd be mourning a 3 or 4 time world champion which would reflect the level of skill he has. I'm sorry but if Hamilton keeps his eyes on the prize all the time it's just going to get further and further away.

He had the title in the bag a few times but pretty much did everything he could do to lose it. FACT.

pino
30th October 2007, 11:24
He had the title in the bag a few times but pretty much did everything he could do to lose it. FACT.

I would rather blame the Team than the driver...the guy is/was a rookie, let's not forget that ;) McLaren and Ron are to blame for loosing both titles not Lewis :p :

Daniel
30th October 2007, 11:33
I would rather blame the Team than the driver...the guy is/was a rookie, let's not forget that ;) McLaren and Ron are to blame for loosing both titles not Lewis :p :
Yes the guy is a rookie :) But he made rookie mistakes. Pino ;) Surely you know it takes more than raw speed to do well in motorsport

ArrowsFA1
30th October 2007, 11:47
Surely you know it takes more than raw speed to do well in motorsport
And Hamilton clearly has more than raw speed.

Garry Walker
30th October 2007, 11:51

Lewis made mistakes in the deciding moments, in both races. That is a fact.

I think Hamilton is very talented, but I am not convinced of his talent ..yet. He is without a doubt an awesome driver though, but is he any better than the other top guys now? Dont think so

Daniel
30th October 2007, 11:52
And Hamilton clearly has more than raw speed.
Sorry Arrows. I meant to say that Lewis Hamilton is perfect and I just like James Allen would like to have his children. Any previous criticisms I have made of Lewis Hamilton have been purely in jest. I love Lewis and have great feelings of anger and hatred towards anyone who doesn't have anything but complete adoration for him.

Happy now? :)

ArrowsFA1
30th October 2007, 11:56
Happy now? :)
Always have been :p :

555-04Q2
30th October 2007, 12:01
Hi Guys,

I have been away for a while but back now.

What do you guys think about Lewis Hamilton, I personally think yes he is a great driver but can not stand him, i think he is very cocky and a bit a head of himself. I`ve watched all the coverage this year and yes it has been a very exciting season which you can hardly say that many times about F1, but that was because the Mc Laren was just another Ferrari with all the stolen data with the scandal earlier in the season allegidly. Also, not many of the drivers like him especially suttel after that dangerous driving in China.

I`m glad Raikonen won it, not a Ferrari fan but i think the best outcome for all happened on Sunday.
:beer:

I dont think of Lewis. I think of tall blondes with big you know whats :p :

leopard
30th October 2007, 12:01
Lewis deserves to blame for disobeying team and that lead into the whole mistake of the team at the cost of both titles.

He has great talent on driving, but hasn't yet completed package to call him a great driver. Time may tell next year to see him and McLaren in clean slate.

Daniel
30th October 2007, 12:04
I should point out that my statement was a general one. Just like Colin had raw speed but wasn't the complete package you could hardly say that Colin had nothing but pure speed. Just as you can't say that about Hamilton. I just don't think Hamilton has showed that he has that last % or two of intelligence (wrong word I know!) to be a 5 time champion. At least if he continues to drive so singlemindedly. I'd love it if motorsport was full of McRae's who were just going for it all the time but if we're honest you need the ability to settle for points if you're to be able to take title after title. I doubt Lewis will have it easier than this year again. The car was clearly the better car for about 50-70% of the season. Kimi won because he knew what he was capable of. Lewis came into the last few races as if he was a champion and drove like one but didn't achieve.

BDunnell
30th October 2007, 12:49
I should point out that my statement was a general one. Just like Colin had raw speed but wasn't the complete package you could hardly say that Colin had nothing but pure speed. Just as you can't say that about Hamilton. I just don't think Hamilton has showed that he has that last % or two of intelligence (wrong word I know!) to be a 5 time champion. At least if he continues to drive so singlemindedly. I'd love it if motorsport was full of McRae's who were just going for it all the time but if we're honest you need the ability to settle for points if you're to be able to take title after title. I doubt Lewis will have it easier than this year again. The car was clearly the better car for about 50-70% of the season. Kimi won because he knew what he was capable of. Lewis came into the last few races as if he was a champion and drove like one but didn't achieve.

Of course, in one sense he will have it easier than this year, because he now has a year's experience of F1.

wedge
30th October 2007, 13:05

I think you've hit the nail on the head with that comment.

Not sure what the right word for it is, immaturity perhaps. Not that Lewis is childish or petulant, but I would be happy to criticise Lewis for driving, at times, with too much heart and not much thought.

The critics said Lewis should continue his normal race which is attack! attack! attack! Ultimately this was undoing and it cost him the title.

bontebempo
30th October 2007, 17:21
get a life jeez...

Lowering the benchmark

Straight on the pace

Britain's instant hero

Tazio
30th October 2007, 18:38
I think you've hit the nail on the head with that comment.

Not sure what the right word for it is, immaturity perhaps. Not that Lewis is childish or petulant, but I would be happy to criticise Lewis for driving, at times, with too much heart and not much thought.

The critics said Lewis should continue his normal race which is attack! attack! attack! Ultimately this was undoing and it cost him the title.

LH was the one who drove himself into the gravel trap in China, and in my opinion made a very late/poor attempt to extricate himself. It appeared to me the he did not have a forward gear engaged until he had stopped, not the team. I'll write that off as a rookie mistake! It was LH that raced himself from p2 to p17 in the first turn at Interlagos. I don't have a problem with his approach to this first turn. When you are at the sharp end of the field you either push hard or get way the hell out of the way. If you don't you are likely to get run up the rear. What happened was a pretty typical racing incident! It was Lewis driving that rig, not Ron, or anyone else on the team. What happened after that you can blame the team if you wish. In terms of strategy, there are calculations, and miss-calculations. These are easy to attack after the fact. I guess we will never know what happened when he was coasting on the track trying to get it in gear. It must have been the hand of God, who we all know drives a Ferrari.

Malbec
31st October 2007, 00:57
LH was the one who drove himself into the gravel trap in China, and in my opinion made a very late/poor attempt to extricate himself. It appeared to me the he did not have a forward gear engaged until he had stopped, not the team. I'll write that off as a rookie mistake! It was LH that raced himself from p2 to p17 in the first turn at Interlagos. I don't have a problem with his approach to this first turn.

I hate to be pedantic but Lewis went from P2 to P4 in the first lap at Interlagos. The gearbox problem was largely out of his hands.

I agree Lewis was at fault at Shanghai but that is a result of his inexperience IMO.

VkmSpouge
31st October 2007, 01:38
I think Lewis Hamilton is a very talented driver, possibly a future champion. He did extremely well in his rookie season. He made some errors but that should only be expected in a rookie. What shouldn't be expected in a rookie is to challenge for the world title. Just where I would place him in the illustrious ranks of F1 drivers...I'll wait until he retires to do that (15 years should be enough to make up my mind :p : ).

wmcot
31st October 2007, 06:03

I pretty much agree, but would change the wording to, "lacks the last 1-2% of experience" instead of intelligence. I'm sure that's more like how you meant it.

ArrowsFA1
31st October 2007, 08:27
This may have been posted somewhere before, but DC has some interesting, and down to earth, points to make about Lewis Hamilton:

"His talent is undoubted but he is not more gifted than Schumacher or Hakkinen or [Fernando] Alonso. He's just another very talented driver. And that's not belittling him at all. But I can't stand it when Lewis, or anyone else, is made out to be a godlike character. We all have our gifts and failings and so much depends on your car. If Lewis was driving for Red Bull I'm sure he would race extremely well, but he'd be battling for points."

Coulthard denies that his appraisal might be coloured by envy. "When people say Lewis might become the first hundred-million-pound racer, that's the only time I think: 'Hmmm . . .' But there's no jealousy in racing terms. It's much harder for Jenson [Button]. In terms of points it's Lewis and then me and then Jenson. It must be a bit uncomfortable for Jenson to be behind the oldest driver on the grid." There is amusement, rather than malice, in Coulthard's laugh. "We speak about Lewis but it's jokey stuff. We flew back from Turkey the other week and I said: 'I see Lewis is getting even more headlines now.' Jenson said: 'Yeah, yeah, but it'll be interesting to see how he copes when he's not in such a good car.' Jenson's in a bit of a reflective period and he knows even Lewis will face some rocky roads."
http://sport.guardian.co.uk/motorsport/story/0,,2166381,00.html

markabilly
2nd November 2007, 07:23
What does one think of Lewis "I am cooler than Kimi" Hamilton, "I will be a worthy WDC", who drove "my best race" at Interlagos when he dumped himself from 2nd to last in the first few moments of the race who explaining it thus...."I was coasting, even though the readout said I was in fourth gear. But I am not so stupid as to have put it into neutral myself," ?

who really can not understand why he is not buddy buddy with his teamie because (for example)"In the [Monaco]race I felt he was pulling away and I wanted to keep pushing," Hamilton said. "'Back off five seconds for Fernando,' the team said. 'I want to win this race. It's not over till I see a flag,' I replied. 'No, keep the gap to five seconds,' they said. But I said: 'I'm not here to finish second' " who wanted to play on computer games with his teamie in the hotel rooms and be all lovey dovey, yet fails to see how he played any role in the problem..........

Bottom line is that I think I really like to see him continue running his mouth off to journalists, it shall be even more entertaining than RD, MAx and Bernie...

Based on these standards of his own mouth, I assume his second best race was when he drove he tried to drive to the easy WDC victory by using the kitty litter instead of the pavement to make his pit stop..... :rolleyes:

ShiftingGears
2nd November 2007, 07:55
What does one think of Lewis "I am cooler than Kimi" Hamilton,

I don't think he ever said that...

"I will be a worthy WDC", who drove "my best race" at Interlagos when he dumped himself from 2nd to last in the first few moments of the race who explaining it thus...."I was coasting, even though the readout said I was in fourth gear. But I am not so stupid as to have put it into neutral myself," ?

Of course he'd be a worthy WDC, if he scored the most points I don't see why he wouldn't be.

who really can not understand why he is not buddy buddy with his teamie because (for example)"In the [Monaco]race I felt he was pulling away and I wanted to keep pushing," Hamilton said. "'Back off five seconds for Fernando,' the team said. 'I want to win this race. It's not over till I see a flag,' I replied. 'No, keep the gap to five seconds,' they said. But I said: 'I'm not here to finish second' " who wanted to play on computer games with his teamie in the hotel rooms and be all lovey dovey, yet fails to see how he played any role in the problem..........

I think that the Monaco incident was down to Hamilton wanting to race without thinking of the bigger picture. He probably hadn't been exposed to team ord...strategy which required him to back off before. He is a rookie.

Bottom line is that I think I really like to see him continue running his mouth off to journalists, it shall be even more entertaining than RD, MAx and Bernie...

I just want to see the drivers being more genuine, whatever that results in.

Based on these standards of his own mouth, I assume his second best race was when he drove he tried to drive to the easy WDC victory by using the kitty litter instead of the pavement to make his pit stop..... :rolleyes:

Well it was one of the only two races where he had to slice his way through the field, and if he had a better pit strategy he probably would've had the title. Some of the greatest drives in motor racing came after bouncing back from an error or misfortune. I think you're being a little harsh. He is, afterall, a rookie. And this is coming from someone who wasn't at one point barracking for him to win.

Zico
2nd November 2007, 13:06

Of course he'd be a worthy WDC, if he scored the most points I don't see why he wouldn't be.

I think that the Monaco incident was down to Hamilton wanting to race without thinking of the bigger picture. He probably hadn't been exposed to team ord...strategy which required him to back off before. He is a rookie.

I just want to see the drivers being more genuine, whatever that results in.

Well it was one of the only two races where he had to slice his way through the field, and if he had a better pit strategy he probably would've had the title. Some of the greatest drives in motor racing came after bouncing back from an error or misfortune. I think you're being a little harsh. He is, afterall, a rookie. And this is coming from someone who wasn't at one point barracking for him to win.

Totally agree.. some people seem to have an intense dislike of him for obscure reasons, maybe as a rookie he performed too well in his debut season.. a victim of his own success? Hopefully thats as deep as it goes..

In terms of raw speed.. he is right up there with the Quickest. Once they knock the rough edges off him and if he has a strong car with a season or two worth of experience... I see no reason why he cant go on to win the WDC within the next 2-3 years. In fact I'll be shocked if he doesnt achieve that..

markabilly
2nd November 2007, 14:34
Originally Posted by markabilly http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/images/aria/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=379705#post379705)
What does one think of Lewis "I am cooler than Kimi" Hamilton,

How much money would you care to wager--please make it large so it will be worth my time to go find the thread where it is discussed in detail on this very forum......

And after Japan, where he had visions of Senna in his head, again words from his mouth, he then says I WILL BE a worthy champion....with two races to go.....but you are right, he was just a rookie...but my money says give thos points to Scott not Speed, and put him in the MAc for the last two races, and he would not be slipping it into neutral/driving in kitty litter....or Jensen Button, or DC, RB, RS, the Kube or Vettel, or Nico Rosberg or Massa or even more to the point, FA,.....heckfire, even Sato.....all would be WDC right now....

He may drive fast, but his mouth runs faster.....