PDA

View Full Version : Where should I go for my holidays?

Mark
3rd January 2007, 12:03
I've narrowed it down to these :p

Alicante
Barcelona
Menorca
Malaga
Mallorca
Almeria
Murcia
Tenerife
Valencia
Ibiza
Belfast
Bristol
Faro
Geneva
Krakow
Nice
Paris
Chambery
Prague
Rome
Milan
Pisa
Dublin
Cork
Oslo
Amsterdam

BeansBeansBeans
3rd January 2007, 12:06
Haggerston Castle

Caroline
3rd January 2007, 12:10
Nice short list! I note the hot Mediterranean places sit comfortably next Belfast and Bristol :p :

When are you planning to go and for how long? Why isn't Wales on the list? :p :

Mark
3rd January 2007, 12:11
Haggerston Castle

I would but I'm sick of the A1 :p

Nice short list! I note the hot Mediterranean places sit comfortably next Belfast and Bristol :p :

When are you planning to go and for how long? Why isn't Wales on the list? :p :

End of April, 4 or 5 nights. Wales is for later in the year :p

pino
3rd January 2007, 12:15
Go to Tuscany (Siena/Florence) :

Best ital food
Best ital wine
Nice wheather
Great scenary
Great culture

Finally...not too far from Maranello ;) :p :

Eki
3rd January 2007, 12:16
Faro

It's spelled Faroes or Faroe Islands. I'd like to go there. Maybe someday I will.

http://www.faroeislands.com/

Mark
3rd January 2007, 12:20
Faro is in Portugal. but yes, I'd like to go to the Faroe Islands someday too.

oily oaf
3rd January 2007, 12:43
Faro is in Portugal. but yes, I'd like to go to the Faroe Islands someday too.

Speaking of which I know the city rather well and have spent many happy hours strolling through the old part of the city (Cidade Velha) which is a real gem of a district with a ruined cathedral (se) and a host of quaint little museums and handicraft shops not to mention the myriad tiny seafood restaurants who will serve you a huge fresh caught tuna steak and a bottle of house red for the price of an English pint. Steer clear of the ubiquitous Frango Piri Piri however or you'll spend the entire fortnight sitting on the chodbin.
It's a short boat trip costing about a euro to the 40 mile expanse of whitewashed sand that constitutes the Ria Formosa where many rare species of bird dwell and where thousands of tiny fiddler crabs beckon you from their burrows in the dunes. A ten minute stroll in either direction and you will be alone with just the Atlantic breakers and the odd nudist for company.
Accommodation is cheap especially off peak and always scrupulously clean.
On top of all that it makes for a great base to explore some of the many tiny tuna ports that dot the Eastern Algarve from Faro to the Spanish frontier where you can wander for hours among the fisherman's paraphenalia and watch the tiny craft arrive in port with their holds bursting with tuna or sardine.
All in all a very nice little town and certainly a cut above The Albert Dock ;)

CarlMetro
3rd January 2007, 12:54
Bristol? :crazy: Certainly would be on my list of holiday destinations :eek:

I guess it depends on what you want from your holiday? Bit of peace and quiet? Lazing on a beach? A bit of culture and mind expansion? Different places on your list offer varied levels of some of the things I've listed.

My choice would be Rome, great for short breaks with fantastic food, nice people and plenty to see and do.

odykas
3rd January 2007, 12:55
Sicily is not in the list? http://www.softlab.ntua.gr/~siochos/smilies/naughty.gif

Mark
3rd January 2007, 12:58
My choice would be Rome, great for short breaks with fantastic food, nice people and plenty to see and do.

Mine too. But Karen went with a friend of hers just a few months ago, so realistically, that's out.

And the list is just a list of low-cost destinations from Newcastle airport, that's why Bristol is in there :p

CarlMetro
3rd January 2007, 13:03
Mine too. But Karen went with a friend of hers just a few months ago, so realistically, that's out.

Even better, she can show you around :up:

Brown, Jon Brow
3rd January 2007, 13:07
How about Bankock :erm:

Mark
3rd January 2007, 13:12

No direct flights from Newcastle :p

EuroTroll
3rd January 2007, 13:18
Go to Tuscany (Siena/Florence) :

Best ital food
Best ital wine
Nice wheather
Great scenary
Great culture

Finally...not too far from Maranello ;) :p :

Yes, Tuscany is truly great! :up:

odykas
3rd January 2007, 13:24
No direct flights from Newcastle :p

You're too lazy! :p :

Dave B
3rd January 2007, 15:35
Oi, I lived in Bristol for a year and won't have a word said against it :p

Where else could the splendour of the Clifton Suspension Bridge be juxtaposed with the syringe-lined streets of St Pauls? :crazy:

Drew
3rd January 2007, 15:45
Krakow, probably not a huge tourist destination and quite a lot of history too.

Depends what kind of holiday you want. Do you want to view historical sights or get wasted at night and lay on the beach the afternoon after? :p :

jim mcglinchey
3rd January 2007, 15:51
[quote="Mark"]I've narrowed it down to these :p

Belfast

Belfast? Shome mishtake surely!

Nah, in June and July Nor'n Ir'on is really lovely.

Dave B
3rd January 2007, 16:12
Krakow. Then you can spend months saying "I'm going to Krakow" and watch people clear the room.

Tomi
3rd January 2007, 16:16
Of those i would choose Barcelona, Amsterdam or Prague.

Alexamateo
3rd January 2007, 17:59
Go to Bristol, There's some great NASCAR races there! ;)

slinkster
3rd January 2007, 18:56
Ew.. I suggest NOT barcelona or belfast.

Out of your list... I would vote for you to visit Cork, I've heard it's beautiful.

Ian McC
3rd January 2007, 19:04
Set up a poll, then which one gets the most votes is your destination.

Trust your forum buddies to see you right! :D

Caroline
3rd January 2007, 19:11
Ew.. I suggest NOT barcelona or belfast.

Out of your list... I would vote for you to visit Cork, I've heard it's beautiful.

Cork is lovely, well worth a visit. :)

nicemms
3rd January 2007, 20:17
I would say Barcelona because of all the gaudi buildings etc and if you get bored of that theres the beach as well!!!

I'm off to Barcelona for a week in August.

J4MIE
3rd January 2007, 20:17
Milan :up:

Tomi
3rd January 2007, 20:25

im going there after 2 weeks :)

A.F.F.
3rd January 2007, 21:46
Sorry to be a smartass but isn't it Bangkock?

Tomi
3rd January 2007, 21:48

Sorry smartass, it's Bangkok :)

EuroTroll
3rd January 2007, 21:50

Well actually, as we've learned from the BBC show "QI" (available on a YouTube near you ;) ), the name of the city is "Krung Thep Maha Nakhon" and only foreigners call it "Bangkok".

Tomi
3rd January 2007, 21:54
Well actually, as we've learned from the BBC show "QI" (available on a YouTube near you ;) ), the name of the city is "Krung Thep Maha Nakhon" and only foreigners call it "Bangkok".

Thats only partly true, many local call it bangkok too.

Dazz9908
3rd January 2007, 21:55
Come to the land of OZ,
come see a real sunburnt country, with Sun surf , Sun, parties, Sun +water, water everywhere but not much of a drop to drink. Did I mention the Sun.

A.F.F.
3rd January 2007, 22:02
Sorry smartass, it's Bangkok :)

Aaargh. You show no mercy. All I needed was three minutes to edit my mistake and you quoted it in two. :D

veeten
3rd January 2007, 22:15
Come to the land of OZ,
come see a real sunburnt country, with Sun surf , Sun, parties, Sun +water, water everywhere but not much of a drop to drink. Did I mention the Sun.

... and don't forget to visit the Wizard. He likes guests. ;) :p :

CarlMetro
4th January 2007, 01:05
Come to the land of OZ

What a great idea, spend 48 hours of your five day break travelling on a plane :rolleyes:

Dazz9908
4th January 2007, 01:58
it's 32 hrs direct, and 38hrs through Dubai, 48 if you go through Singapore.
So many of your Countrymen can't be wrong.
Take a chance, a sore bum, and a very light wallet, can be done.

viper_man
4th January 2007, 03:28
Skegness! No seriously.

Or if not, then Barca. Know a lot of people who have gone and all say its fantastic. I was due to go myself a couple of years back and had loads of tours booked etc so know that it seems like a really enjoyable place. Unfortunately didnt end up going.

Daniel
4th January 2007, 08:47
What a great idea, spend 48 hours of your five day break travelling on a plane :rolleyes:
I very much agree with Carl on this. I came over to Europe last year from Oz for 2 weeks and even then felt a bit cheated :)

Go to Dublin I say :up:

fandango
4th January 2007, 10:11
You'll find lots of interesting stuff to see here in Barcelona (Barça is the football club, not the city). For a four or five day city break it's quite good. The weather at the end of April will seem very pleasant coming from Britain, but there is a slightly stronger chance of rain at that time (think of the weather at the GPs over the years, usually sunny, but there was that time in 96 when Schumacher won in torrential conditions).

Mallorca and Menorca are beautiful if what you want is a quiet break, but it could be windy. April is still a little early to do a beach holiday in Spain, but you might be lucky. The Canaries would be hot, though.

I wouldn't go to Alicante or Murcia. Just, no. Dreary. I don't know Valencia very well, but I've always really liked it every time I've been there.

Donney
4th January 2007, 10:15
I agree with fandango from what I've heard Alicante and Murcia are places to avoid at any costs. Barcelona should be great and also Valencia, I've never been there though.

nicemms
4th January 2007, 13:54
You'll find lots of interesting stuff to see here in Barcelona (Barça is the football club, not the city). For a four or five day city break it's quite good. The weather at the end of April will seem very pleasant coming from Britain, but there is a slightly stronger chance of rain at that time (think of the weather at the GPs over the years, usually sunny, but there was that time in 96 when Schumacher won in torrential conditions).

Whats Barcelona like in August and is it possible to spend a week there on a budget? Because I am off with my mum in summer on a tight budget.

Storm
4th January 2007, 14:02
I agree with fandango from what I've heard Alicante and Murcia are places to avoid at any costs. Barcelona should be great and also Valencia, I've never been there though.

You have not been to all these places? Spain is not that big eh ? :p :

Donney
4th January 2007, 16:07
eeeeeerrrr.... http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/ashamed001.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

Ian McC
6th January 2007, 10:57
A lot of the old Eastern Block countries are becoming favourite destinations for stag weekends, like Krakow and Prague.

fandango
7th January 2007, 11:21
Whats Barcelona like in August and is it possible to spend a week there on a budget? Because I am off with my mum in summer on a tight budget.

It's holiday high season, so I would say you might have a problem doing it on a budget in August. It's pretty hot and humid in August, so it might just be too uncomfortable. If you can, go in September.

Brown, Jon Brow
7th January 2007, 13:16
You could always visit Garstang in Lancashire. Take a hike up Beacon Fell ( where you can see Blackburn, Preston, Blackpool, Lancaster and the Lake District. And then take a stroll down the Canal. (although some chavs may push you in! )
Then visit Brown,JonBrow at work in Booths (buy some traditional Lancashire cheese of me)

tintin
7th January 2007, 19:39
Looks like Bristol's off Mark's shortlist for the time being...

J4MIE
7th January 2007, 19:43
Garstand or Geneva. Hmmmmmmmmmmm let me think....

Mark
8th January 2007, 08:13
We looked seriously at Rome, but found some problems. Firstly any decent hotels within sight of the city centre are rediculosly expensive. You can get the metro but that stops running at 9pm, puts a bit of a dampner on nights out really. Plus the flights back to Newcastle aren't great, getting in at 11pm.

We are looking at Palma de Mallorca now. Found one hotel which looks promising (but not brilliant).