PDA

View Full Version : Wha..No Sepang Thread

fatman
19th October 2007, 22:03
I noticed there was no Sepang thread yet. I guess the championship really is over.

Looks like another Casey cake walk if the first day of practise is anything to go by.

Rossi might as well run Bridgestones this weekend. At this point I can imagine Michelin being motivated to provide him anything but garbage rubber for the weekend.

maxu05
19th October 2007, 22:20
So far, the Kawasaki's are looking strong after the first 2 practice sessions. The usual suspects are up there, apart from Rossi, though, I expect the latter to get it together in Qualifying. I think it will rain half way through the Q session, so it will be a lottery IMO. If it does rain, we may even see Guintoli on pole, that would be great to see.

patnicholls
19th October 2007, 23:52
It is pretty quiet in here, especially since Jorge hasn't quite been crowned yet, and the 125 title duel is still very much on.

Think everyone's mostly waiting for the final bits of the picture for 2008 to fall into place shortly.

JETFX...
20th October 2007, 01:37
Maybe a few comments coming soon re control tyre news today... get ready for a season with mandatory pit stops just so we might see any overtaking, ala F1?????? :o

edlalu
20th October 2007, 01:42
What about comments on the new surface as Sepang and the trouble it seems to be giving ALL the riders in FP?

tha_jackal
20th October 2007, 04:39
Judging by the first three practice sessions you have to say Stoner, DePuniet, West and Hopkins are the most consistantly quick..

It's going to be a cracker of a qualifying session (touch wood that its dry) and then a cracking race.. The championship may be over, but pride is on the line..

MotoGP
1. Stoner
2. Hopkins
3. West

1. Lorenzo
2. Dovi
3. Kallio

1. Pasini
2. Talmacsi
3. Cortese

Can't wait :)

osg
20th October 2007, 08:05
Great effort By Dani getting Pole at the death.... Fantastic from Ant and Randy. Vale..... struggled :(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/oosrg/Motorsport/SepangQuali.jpg

JETFX...
20th October 2007, 08:18
Wow... Go Dani! I would like to see him make it a good fight for #2 in the championship.
Apparently the Michelins are not so crap after all?? at least with their qualifiers. Team green is really upping their qualifying efforts too great to see. Hope they can carry over to serious race pace, could surely through a spanner or two into the works of the race for #2 and #3 etc in title fight.

Guess we will have to wait yet again to findout wazup with the control tyre story? wonder whats going on with the delayed 'official' announcement! word from Michelin is they are happy with the pending decision but they also suggest tyre competition will still remain between the manufacturers.... hmmm how will that be, so the plot thickens???

tha_jackal
20th October 2007, 08:20
Wow, I tipped Sandro to come third in the race and thats where he qualified, shortly AFTER my tips :D

Gooo Sandro (fantasy team member) .. Great job by all Aussies, Bridgestone looking much stronger on race rubber than the Frenchies..

osg
20th October 2007, 09:28
Wow... Go Dani! I would like to see him make it a good fight for #2 in the championship.
Apparently the Michelins are not so crap after all?? at least with their qualifiers. Team green is really upping their qualifying efforts too great to see. Hope they can carry over to serious race pace, could surely through a spanner or two into the works of the race for #2 and #3 etc in title fight.

Guess we will have to wait yet again to findout wazup with the control tyre story? wonder whats going on with the delayed 'official' announcement! word from Michelin is they are happy with the pending decision but they also suggest tyre competition will still remain between the manufacturers.... hmmm how will that be, so the plot thickens???

Vale will be on Bridgestones....... you can take that to the bank.

JETFX...
20th October 2007, 10:02
Vale will be on Bridgestones....... you can take that to the bank.

Doesnt make a lot of sense to be only Yam on BS... or would he be?
JB and Val will have a little homework to do in the off season then I reckon if thats proven to be the case...

osg
20th October 2007, 10:19
Doesnt make a lot of sense to be only Yam on BS... or would he be?
JB and Val will have a little homework to do in the off season then I reckon if thats proven to be the case...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63408

Bridgestone set to confirm Rossi deal

By Toby Moody Friday, October 19th 2007, 09:51 GMT

Valentino Rossi looks set to switch to Bridgestone tyres for 2008, with paddock sources at Sepang indicating that a deal has been finalised with the Japanese company.

The former champion wanted the same tyres as title winner Stoner for next year after the problems he encountered with Michelins throughout this season.

Finishing 30 seconds behind US GP winner Stoner, and yet still being fourth and the top Michelin finisher at Laguna Seca was believed to be the final straw for the Italian.

Autosport.com understands that the deal is done and that the paperwork just needs to be signed and sealed ready for an announcement next Wednesday.

Rossi's move is likely to avert the possibility of a single tyre rule being implemented in MotoGP. A decision had been due on this matter during the Sepang weekend, although with just 18 days remaining before the end of the season it seemed unlikely to be adopted.

The deal means that Rossi will be the sole Yamaha on Bridgestones and therefore the first-ever Yamaha MotoGP bike to use them, while the other three works Yamahas next year will continue on Michelins.

ChrisS
20th October 2007, 11:56
get ready for a season with mandatory pit stops just so we might see any overtaking, ala F1?????? :o

AAARRRRHHHH!!!!!

that would be my nightmare coming true if it ever happens

I used to be such a massive f1 fan, but as the strategies destroyed the racing in the late 90s I found a better alternative in bikes

tha_jackal
21st October 2007, 09:24
I want to know why a grid marshall didn't tell Westy to move across a metre, or whatever it was before the race started? He was one of the first riders back on the grid ffs :( fecking shattered..

Anyway, the usual 2007 Stoner domination and a pretty boringish race.. Not as bad as some of the others this year though :) Looks damn hot over there, tough work, respect to all :up:

osg
21st October 2007, 11:15
**shakes head** ....... arrghhh Westy. Why oh why????

NinjaMaster
21st October 2007, 12:58
Ultimately it's Ant's stuff-up, but he was one of the first riders back so had no-one else to judge from. How hard would it have been for a marshall to tell him to move across one spot?

It was a good race and nice to see the leaders much closer together. Also great to see team Green now seemingly a genuine regular top 5 runner. Looks good for next year. It was interesting to hear in the post-race interviews that both Stoner and Melandri were pushing so hard that they had to save crashes on a couple of occasions which, looking from the race on TV, they all looked to be running on rails. Nice to see Chris the V beat Hopkins too.

Finally, on the talk that Vale will be getting Bridgestone tyres next year. This is despite both Bridgestone not wanting to supply him and Rossi's pit chief, Jerry Burgess, wanting to remain with Michelin so that all the Yamaha's are on the same rubber and they can develop with Michelin as they're partner. Rossi on Bridgestones undermines that. Valentino's thoughts on JB's opinion is that 'Jerry doesn't want to make hard decisions'. Bridgestone have been urged to supply Rossi by Dorna, or the possibility of a Michelin control tyre may become greater. What a crock. When asked by a journalist what would happen if Bridgestone wouldn't supply him, he replied 'I have a decision to make'. Since when can a rider dictate how, and with whom, a team runs? I am so sick of the powers that be trying to orchestrate things in Rossi's favour, simply because he is popular. Leave teams to make their own decisions and developments and if Rossi doesn't like it, he can get stuffed! I hope Lorenzo kicks his ass next year, regarless of what tyres he's on. :mad:

JETFX...
21st October 2007, 17:26
Based on Dani and Nickys Hondas at Sepang and P.I. why would Rossi want Bridgestones? the Michelins will be fine come next season with further testing. The BS aint going to make the Yamaha go faster....

Would be ironic eh if Hor Hay ends up being faster on the Yam Michelin.... Will Rossi then switch back to Michelin??? too funny :rolleyes:

neninja
22nd October 2007, 10:31
I can see Michelin pulling out all the stops to make Rossi look a fool if he switches.

Rossi is clutching at straws - the Yamaha is not a great package and Bridgestone tyres won't suddenly magic it better especially with only 1 Yam on Bridgestones. For all that Edwards has been slow this year he's a good tyre tester - I wonder if Rossi will demand that he is on them too?

Will Bridgestone really make that much effort to develop a tyre that works well for one bike? They don't care who wins the championship as long as it's a Bridgestone shod bike. Ducati showed trust in Bridgestone when they weren't competitive. Bridgestone will naturally put most development behind them - I expect Stoner or Melandri to win in 2008.

It'll be interesting to see how this impacts on Toseland and Lorenzo - if I was Michelin I would be wanting them to beat Rossi week in week out.

JETFX...
22nd October 2007, 11:25
I could not agree more... sounds to be the rantings of an increasingly desperate ex-champ?

Bottom line is what the hell is Rossi, JB and Yamaha actually doing to rectify the lack of grunt HP??? they have a huge task to get back on the pace let alone be able to run head to head with Ducati in 08! meanwhile Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki may just already have a good head start on em. Its upto the main factory supported rider/s and their team to offer constructive testing feedback to the factory no? what are they doing? it would seem going backwards fast?? strange indeed especially considering JB being probably the best/experienced crew chief in the paddock!

Running two bikes next year, one on BS and the other on Michelin is gotta be one of the strangest moves possible I have seen in a long while if constructive quick development is Yamahas priority?

alfa155btcc
23rd October 2007, 10:56
I could not agree more... sounds to be the rantings of an increasingly desperate ex-champ?

Bottom line is what the hell is Rossi, JB and Yamaha actually doing to rectify the lack of grunt HP??? they have a huge task to get back on the pace let alone be able to run head to head with Ducati in 08! meanwhile Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki may just already have a good head start on em. Its upto the main factory supported rider/s and their team to offer constructive testing feedback to the factory no? what are they doing? it would seem going backwards fast?? strange indeed especially considering JB being probably the best/experienced crew chief in the paddock!

Running two bikes next year, one on BS and the other on Michelin is gotta be one of the strangest moves possible I have seen in a long while if constructive quick development is Yamahas priority?

Who is Rossi ?????

Well he is only the best rider to have ever taken part in the top class of motorcycle racing, and even an ossie like you should admit to that ? Stoner has ha a great season and is a worthy champ, but befor ethis season what has he done nothing.

Rossi wants a competitive bike he is a genius but there is only so much you can do, and considering all that he has worked some miracles this season assen to name just 1, so come on get off his back, he is still the best and will be until stoner is champ another 4 times maybe then we can talk about him in the same breath as Rossi.
:s mokin: :s mokin: :s mokin:

JETFX...
23rd October 2007, 16:22
Who is Rossi? = the past.....

Its all about how you handle the pressure ya know! ;)

ChrisS
23rd October 2007, 18:42

since you only joined this forum a few weeks ago I'm assuming your interest in MotoGP was created/increased because Stoner is winning. I could be wrong, if I am I apologize.

the majority of members here are from Australia so I think it creates the wrong picture. try other forums with more "global members" I believe you will find that most still think of Rossi as the man

alfa155btcc
23rd October 2007, 20:56
since you only joined this forum a few weeks ago I'm assuming your interest in MotoGP was created/increased because Stoner is winning. I could be wrong, if I am I apologize.

the majority of members here are from Australia so I think it creates the wrong picture. try other forums with more "global members" I believe you will find that most still think of Rossi as the man

Great Reply, i too have noticed the australian biace on this site, has been quite one sided, nice to find someone who has the same thoughts as me
:s mokin:

JETFX...
24th October 2007, 00:26

My interest in the 500's commenced circa 1987 actually if you are interested.... So what if I only joined just a few weeks ago, so what?

Wrong picture what the????? oh jeezzz not another 'krusty the clown' sprooker :rolleyes:

Oh yeah "Appology" accepted ;)

maxu05
24th October 2007, 00:45
Although I am an Aussie, ( I fly the Chinese flag, as I live in China at the moment), I must say that Rossi is still, IMO, the yard stick by which to measure other riders. Casey is great, and has had the most incredible year with Ducati, but, to totally dominate for 3 or 4 years is what is required to argue this point. Rossi dominated for 5 years remember, and he is still capable of winning (tyres permitting) more championships. I think the true test for Casey will be when Marco arrives at Ducati.

JETFX...
24th October 2007, 03:12
Although I am an Aussie, ( I fly the Chinese flag, as I live in China at the moment), I must say that Rossi is still, IMO, the yard stick by which to measure other riders. Casey is great, and has had the most incredible year with Ducati, but, to totally dominate for 3 or 4 years is what is required to argue this point. Rossi dominated for 5 years remember, and he is still capable of winning (tyres permitting) more championships. I think the true test for Casey will be when Marco arrives at Ducati.

Well opinions are for all, but not all the same thankfully ;)

Rossi dominated for 5 years maybe.... yes but then ok please tell me who in your opinion was around to 'seriously' (consistently) challenge him? and again that were also on seriously competitive machinery and tyres to same level of support overall as Rossi during his winning seasons?

Of course Rossi also arrived in the premier class toward the end of the 500cc era pretty much when many of the true great racers were/had retired, then he also inhereted Micks legecy along with JB at HRC.... It was going to be pretty hard to stuff that ideal scenerio up with those odds on your side eh? And lets please not mention his lop sided superior Michelin advantage during all of his reign.

'To me' (Rossi) does not do so well when the balls not completely in his court so to speak! wet weather and serious on track pressures are not within his comfort zone from what I see. So that said and putting all sentiment aside (if possible) I think next year 08 is going to be the real story for Val and by which I reckon will show just what he is made of as well as for maybe the first time for many years will make or brake the myth...

They say you need to win two in a row to proove it was not a fluke, wonder if the same logic applys if you loose two or even three in a row?

:cool:

osg
24th October 2007, 09:17

jesus....... i'm an aussie who idolizes Rossi, and ok yes Casey has had the season to end all seasons. But get back to me when he runs 3 or 4 titles in a row up ok? Or when he breaks the 50 win barrier in MotoGP....

Yes, Casey is incredibly gifted, and the GP7 certainly didn't ride itself around this year, but to say Rossi who? smacks of arrogance and ignorance.

It's a very very big mountain to scale to get alongside Doohan, Ago and Vale......

NinjaMaster
24th October 2007, 09:46
Being an Australian hasn't blinded anyone's views in my opinion (as an Aussie). Sure we will support the Aussie riders more but have no problem recognising who are the top riders. For me, Rossi is still a top rider, no one can argue with that. However, whether or not he is the top rider anymore will be sorted out over the next few years. With the way Casey performed this year gives me a lot of reason to believe he could have beaten Vale on equal machinery. Remember that Casey has dominated with more than twice the race wins of anyone else this year, he hasn't just squeaked in because a few results went his way. Then there are the likes of Pedrosa, Dovizioso and Lorenzo coming through as well. Just because Rossi has been the best in the past doesn't mean he will always be.

Also, what really annoys me is the 'Rossi is the greatest ever rider' tag. According to who? Perhaps someone who has been following motorcycle Grand Prix racing since 1949 could answer but even then I don't think so. Rossi is the greatest of his era but I can't see how it can be said he is better than Agostini, Hailwood, Lawson or even Doohan. At the end of the day, all are legends.

Finally, for what it's worth, I do still consider Rossi to be the competitions yardstick but think the chasing pack are closing fast. And I believe this despite being very much not a fan of his anymore.

osg
24th October 2007, 11:39
Being an Australian hasn't blinded anyone's views in my opinion (as an Aussie). Sure we will support the Aussie riders more but have no problem recognising who are the top riders. For me, Rossi is still a top rider, no one can argue with that. However, whether or not he is the top rider anymore will be sorted out over the next few years. With the way Casey performed this year gives me a lot of reason to believe he could have beaten Vale on equal machinery. Remember that Casey has dominated with more than twice the race wins of anyone else this year, he hasn't just squeaked in because a few results went his way. Then there are the likes of Pedrosa, Dovizioso and Lorenzo coming through as well. Just because Rossi has been the best in the past doesn't mean he will always be.

Also, what really annoys me is the 'Rossi is the greatest ever rider' tag. According to who? Perhaps someone who has been following motorcycle Grand Prix racing since 1949 could answer but even then I don't think so. Rossi is the greatest of his era but I can't see how it can be said he is better than Agostini, Hailwood, Lawson or even Doohan. At the end of the day, all are legends.

Finally, for what it's worth, I do still consider Rossi to be the competitions yardstick but think the chasing pack are closing fast. And I believe this despite being very much not a fan of his anymore.

Well said ninja........

I've been thinking about the Stoner vs Rossi thing all year, regarding the Rossi fanboys arguement that it's the tyres for Casey, and if Vale was on equal equipment etc etc...... and i'm of the opinion that he may very well have struggled to lift the title even if he was on a Ducati.

Is Valentino the best ever????? Can't compare era's like you said, but he's certainly the best of the last decade obviously......

The main reason for the post here is to put this thought out there:

Could the reason for all the to and fro between the Rossi fans and the rest be this:

That it's been hard for Rossi fans to accept that he has indeed been beaten the last 2 years (i was filthy in '06 when Hayden pipped him at the post) because he is the first dominant champion to continue riding, and be beaten after a prolonged period of dominance...... and not have to retire due to injury?

Doohan retired 3 races into '99, and Rainey retired obviously due to the injuries suffered at Misano in '93.......... this is the first time in 14 years that we've actually seen an all time great beaten on track, not by injuries....

thats the overriding thought i'm having..... that it's a bitter pill to swallow. I myself as a ardent Rossi fan can accept that he now is entering into the last years of his career........ i think he can grab another title, but it would need to be in '08 or '09. If he does reclaim the title next year, i think we'll see him walk away.

If he can't win another in the next 2 years....... he's done, and we may see a sad descent into the midfield for Valentino....

JETFX...
25th October 2007, 00:24
Too be honest it was not until toward the end of 2006 that it became pretty obvious to me about Rossi's true metal under pressure... Seeing the way he lost the title to Hayden when really under (little) pressure was pretty average and has to make you wonder? it did me!!! but to say hes the best racer of 'all time' or amoungst them I cannot see this myself simply based upon his on track battles alone in the premier class... certainly not the same as many of the previous generations full on 'gun fight' battles like we witnessed in the late 80's and early 90's... now those guys Lawson, Rainy, Gardner and many more to many to list where somthing else altogether and well up a few more rungs of the ladder in my opinion...

The way Val also said in the press this season that the championship was over for him, conceding to Casey..... before it technically even was points wise, is not exactly what you would expect to here from a multi world champ and not very impressive either :rolleyes: Could you imagine Gardner, Doohan, Lawson, Rainy, Schwantz or even Schmaker etc ever saying that......

Roby44
25th October 2007, 05:04

And from what I saw at Sepang in the paddock with lots of fans milling about Casey doesn't handle it very well at all!!

JETFX...
25th October 2007, 07:59
And from what I saw at Sepang in the paddock with lots of fans milling about Casey doesn't handle it very well at all!!

Oh another personality critic eh, ya gotta be kidding right? must be tough when all you can find to critisize about the dude is weather he smiles or waves enough for you.... :p

"Pressure= on the 'TRACK' during a Moto GP race" ;)

ChrisS
25th October 2007, 16:48
Oh another personality critic eh, ya gotta be kidding right? must be tough when all you can find to critisize about the dude is weather he smiles or waves enough for you.... :p

dude, you are the one who refers to Rossi as krusty because of his hair and you talk about only criticizing riders by their performance? ;)

and as an Aussie you should know that Adam Fergusson (former Australian Superbike and Supersport Champion) is Krusty :)

Roby44
26th October 2007, 01:37
dude, you are the one who refers to Rossi as krusty because of his hair and you talk about only criticizing riders by their performance? ;)

and as an Aussie you should know that Adam Fergusson (former Australian Superbike and Supersport Champion) is Krusty :)

And from my experience Adam is a bloody nice guy.

As for the critism of Casey, I think its one of those times when you just had to be there to see it for yourself. I know people only believe what they see / hear themselves as my friend, a Stoner Fan for some time , and I did in this case.

Oh and he did smirk I wouldn't call it a smile.

JETFX...
26th October 2007, 06:28

Well more so due to his antics actually i.e. dunny diving, side saddle riding and ten pin bowling etc etc. The hair also yes your right, you gotta admit there is a striking resemblance to Barts #1 hero.

Yeah I know about Fergy but he really will just have to pass on the 'Krusty' handle I reckon, a worthy successor is Val he just has it nailed perfectly in actions and the looks Iam afraid... ;)

JETFX...
26th October 2007, 06:29
And from my experience Adam is a bloody nice guy.

As for the critism of Casey, I think its one of those times when you just had to be there to see it for yourself. I know people only believe what they see / hear themselves as my friend, a Stoner Fan for some time , and I did in this case.

Would you like him more if he dove into a dunny :p :

leopard
26th October 2007, 07:10

I'd understand your opinion that no rider have smile that bloody hot like Toseland :lips: :p :

Roby44
27th October 2007, 10:44
Would you like him more if he dove into a dunny :p :

If he did it head first ..YES!!

Roby44
27th October 2007, 10:45
I'd understand your opinion that no rider have smile that bloody hot like Toseland :lips: :p :

Oh I don't know.

There are few riders in the MotoGP field this year with pretty HOT smiles and bodies to go with .. ;)