PDA

View Full Version : M74 - A74(m) ... M6

Rollo
19th October 2007, 06:44
I can't make up my mind about this bit of road.

It makes perfect sense to upgrade the A74(M) to full motorway standard and them re-designate the whole thing the M6 but for some bizarre reason the Scottish Executive either yells resistance or wants to declare Scottish nationalism or something.

Admittedly the northern end would have to elevated through Glaswegian suburbs but it's not like chooksters will complain much will they? Would a motorway actually decrease local traffic?
I find the whole thing as odd as the Dartford Gap on the M25 to be honest, and really don't get the whinging that's been going on on Radio 4 at all.

Any thoughts?

Mark
19th October 2007, 10:35
Oh yes lots! The Glasgow section is going ahead despite fierce opposition.

Iain
19th October 2007, 20:16
They already have M6 South signs at the vehicle check station near Beattock. A sign of things to come? No pun intendid.

Dave B
20th October 2007, 12:50
The "Dartford Gap" is where the M25 briefly becomes the A282 - so that non-motorway vehicles can use the crossing. :)

Zico
21st October 2007, 21:13
Its about 10 years too late but welcomed with open arms personally.. Dont give a monkeys what they call it... as long as its built, I've sat in the rush hour queues at the Kingston bridge far too many times for my liking. For a huge city like Glasgow only to have one bottleneck M/way thru route is madness.. Will also reduce thru traffic where I live (East kilbride) yaaaay!

Mark
22nd October 2007, 07:45
Of course the original plan when the A74(M) was under construction was that it would stay as A74(M) while the bits remained seperate then it would quickly become M6. Nobody counted on it taking the best part of 20 years to for the two motorways to be connected together (although we are dealing with the Highways Agency here, 20 years is warp speed for them), so by now A74(M) has become well established and Scotland has achived devolution over such matters.

So the most likely outcome is that there will be no change and one stretch of uninterrupted motorway will be M6-A74(M)-M74.