PDA

View Full Version : Tom Chilton...

speedy king
18th October 2007, 18:53
Used to support him but just can't now, he's got too much mouth and not enough tallent to meet that, which lets face it to meet his attitude he would have to be a Serial Championship winner in the BTCC...not surprise to see VX sign Neal over him...

Anyone else found him annoyingly too cocky even as a joke?

Allyc85
18th October 2007, 19:00
Not at all. I expected big things of him this year, but I just think the vectra didnt suit his driving style. Give him the right car and he can easily get the job done.

BDunnell
18th October 2007, 19:03
I don't know what he's like as an individual. He was the most disappointing driver in the BTCC for me this year, when set against expectations, but we've seen before that he can beat the best and I'm sure he will do so again.

VkmSpouge
18th October 2007, 19:27
Chilton undoubtedly had a disappointing season and certainly has a mouth on him but I quite like him.

Steelrat
18th October 2007, 19:44
When he was in the Arena Civic I really enjoyed the way he threw it about. He had that excellent win at Oulton in the wet and I, like many others, thought he'd do well with Vauxhall.

As we all know, the Astra was a dog, even for Gio, so I don't think it's fair to judge him from that (although I wasn't impressed with his implication that Muller had set up the Astra wrongly).

With the Vectra, I think he wasn't suited to the car but it appears that there were differences between his and Gio's car until the end of the season and I think that showed at Thruxton.

As I mentioned in another thread, that was a superb move on Cornell and Plato in the final race and I really believe he has it in him to be a champion. I don't think he'll ever be the equal of someone like Muller, Cleland or possibly Gio but I believe he has got what it takes.

Yes, sometimes he lets his mouth run off but he'll mature and be as diplomatic(?) as Plato or Neal ....

I think it was the TV shot of him in the car in the pits at Croft when he had to retire that made me realise he wants to be a winner ....

P

VkmSpouge
18th October 2007, 19:54
I think it was the TV shot of him in the car in the pits at Croft when he had to retire that made me realise he wants to be a winner ....

I could really feel his disappointment in that shot of him.

Dave B
19th October 2007, 08:52
Tom's a nice guy who takes his driving extremely seriously. In common with many competitive sportsmen he occasionally has trouble finding the thin line between confidence and arrogance, but I certainly wouldn't underestimate him.

thompp
19th October 2007, 09:03
My opinion of Tom, and always has been, is that he is a fast driver but lacks a bit of control. Personality-wise, I have always found him very agreeable and personable, and there is nothing to dislike. Remember he is still young - only 21 isn't it...?

SEATFreak
19th October 2007, 09:22
Having seen his house and garden on the BTCC coverage once I was reminded of a house of a F1 driver.

He certainly is someone who looks like he is someone who is serious about his career.

But whether he can eventually translate the fact he has the pad of someone who is serious about his career into the kind of form needed to challenge remains to be seen.

If the rumours are true about a return to a returning Arena Motorsort in a Ford Focus, with the car been an unknown quantity in todays BTCC (the last time it one ran was in 2001 when GR Motorsport ran three with Rick Kraemer, Mat Jackson and Roger Meins), I am unsure as to whether it will come with Arena and in a Focus. With Ford backing it may do well but how can we be sure until we have seen them race?

tdb
19th October 2007, 18:59
Having seen his house and garden on the BTCC coverage once I was reminded of a house of a F1 driver.

But whether he can eventually translate the fact he has the pad of someone who is serious about his career into the kind of form needed to challenge remains to be seen.

What an absolutely ridiculous statement, even from you SEAT freak!!!

His house and garden have absolutely NOTHING to do with his driving ability!

SEATFreak
19th October 2007, 19:24
Must have lots of money though. Money made, atleast in part, from his career.

BDunnell
19th October 2007, 19:25

He certainly is someone who looks like he is someone who is serious about his career.

Should he maybe move into a one-bedroom flat until that time comes, do you reckon?

I really don't see what his house has to do with anything...

SEATFreak
19th October 2007, 19:53
Yet again folk twist what I say to suit their views of me. :uhoh:

I am saying nothing of the kind, especially that joke about moving into a one bedroom flat, and frankly the two comments I have been faced will be quickly disregarded.

It is not the house and garden that is the point for crying out loud. The house and garden were said as an example of his financial accumilation. Which was the point.

Obviously not the money accumilated through any business intrests he may have like Gavin Smith (Something in DIY in Smith's case - I think) but the money accumilated over the years racing.

The simple thing I tried and failed to get across is that Tom must have been a succesull driver as he was working his way up the ranks or the prize money for winning various races and championships wouldn't be as much as his possesions suggest.

If I was a succesfull racing driver with minor/junior Championships to my CV I wouldn't exactly be brassic...would you?

Iain
19th October 2007, 20:14
His dad is an extremely wealthy businessman with a background in the insurance industry. Hence the big house and why he was able to put his son in a touring car at age 17 and more recently his 16 year old son Max in an F3 car.

SEATFreak
19th October 2007, 20:28
I see! I didn't know his dad was rich.

Iain
19th October 2007, 20:57
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/richlist/person/0,,47626,00.html

Captain VXR
20th October 2007, 09:26
I thought they showed the RAC house??

cazvxr
20th October 2007, 10:17
Liked Tom until Thruxton he pushed his way through people without an excuse me or thanks! Manners dont cost anything but mean so much!

wedge
20th October 2007, 13:43
Mentioned this on the other thread regarding VXR.

Tom is a good driver but he's up against Gio who's top class. The VXR drivers were free to choose set up and Gio came out on top all season long. Tom has to dig deep to come up with those extra tenths and he's done the all so easy mistake of treading the thin blue line of over-driving the car and it hasn't worked.

Tom has his critics, somewhat over-hyped/rated but personally I rate Tom, but he's far from being the finished article.

BeansBeansBeans
20th October 2007, 16:09
Tom's had a poor season at Vauxhall, but I'm going to stick my neck out and predict that Neal will be no closer to Giovanardi.

BeansBeansBeans
20th October 2007, 16:11
I see! I didn't know his dad was rich.

He's a racing driver.

Of course his Dad's rich :p :

SEATFreak
21st October 2007, 11:11
Tom's had a poor season at Vauxhall, but I'm going to stick my neck out and predict that Neal will be no closer to Giovanardi.

You may just have said something that isn't as stupid as it perhaps looks initially.

Fabrizio is I think is more of a "raw natural talent" type of driver than Neal who it seems from my point of view drives like he scraps and fights.

I think that is how Fabrizio I think has bested Chilton in I think virtually, atleast, ever department. Not because his setup was better. But I think he was able to make it work better for him than Chilton with his setups over the course of the season.

I expect Neal to do well, better than Chilton, and perhaps finish higher, but he has no more of a chance of beating Fabrizio to the title than Chilton.

tdb
21st October 2007, 19:29
Yet again folk twist what I say to suit their views of me. :uhoh:

The simple thing I tried and failed to get across is that Tom must have been a succesull driver as he was working his way up the ranks or the prize money for winning various races and championships wouldn't be as much as his possesions suggest.

If I was a succesfull racing driver with minor/junior Championships to my CV I wouldn't exactly be brassic...would you?

I wasn't twisting what you said, but yet again you have allowed supposition to form the basis of your post!

A bit of research would inform you that there is little prize money in any formulae, apart from championship wins (with the exception of F1 and Nascar)

As has always been my recomendation to you SEATFreak, don't beleive all you read in the press and always research before you post. otherwise you leave yourself open to correction (and if your post is illinformed) ridicule!

And please don't use your usual spiel about how you don't call yourself a "true fan" "blah blah blah". you seem quite capable of retrieving statistics about drivers and races! google is a wonderfull tool, maybe a bit more use will help you avoid the usual critisism you attract.

BeansBeansBeans
21st October 2007, 19:58

As has been discussed, Chilton has never been skint, because his Dad is worth a fortune, but until he secured the works drive at Vauxhall, I doubt he made any money from racing.

SEATFreak
21st October 2007, 20:00
you seem quite capable of retrieving statistics about drivers and races!

Atleast we can call that a start.

A bit of research would inform you that there is little prize money in any formulae, apart from championship wins (with the exception of F1 and Nascar)!

And what would you suggest I go about it? Would I phone up the organisers of Formulae Renault? Could I use Google? What Google search word would work best?

don't beleive all you read

Trust me, I don't. In fact I just tend to exercise extreme cautious scepticism before I ignore it.

PDS
21st October 2007, 20:45
And what would you suggest I go about it? Would I phone up the organisers of Formulae Renault?

NO. But you could try looking here.. http://www.barc.net/competitors/index.php

There's not many that list prize money.. only trophies..

YES. I know a quite a few that are!

ChocMonster
27th October 2007, 23:33
I won't have anything bad said about Tom, he's a lovely guy who I spent a long time chatting with at Laguna Seca last weekend.

Last time we talked was at Croft just after he'd found out he wasn't able to do Le Mans and then the Vauxhall went on to break down, he was very disappointed that day.

Thankfully in the Californian sun he was in much happier mood even though he knew it was going to be hard work to get his Zytek prototype to a good finish against the Audis & Porsches.

He told me that he is currently working on a deal with a manufacturer which will see him being paid more than Vauxhall gave him. He also told me a few things about what happened this season but I don't think he'd want me to repeat those here. ;)

Max was hoping to race the prototype but the officials decided he wasn't old enough so he raced a Mazda single seater instead and did pretty well. He's going to be doing another year of F3 in 2008.

All in all very nice guys and their Mum was lovely too! :)

Captain VXR
28th October 2007, 12:49
He told me that he is currently working on a deal with a manufacturer which will see him being paid more than Vauxhall gave him. He also told me a few things about what happened this season but I don't think he'd want me to repeat those here. ;)

Please pm me about :)

Captain VXR
28th October 2007, 12:50

Did he tell or hint which manufacturer? - pm me

SSC
13th November 2007, 17:19
I won't have anything bad said about Tom, he's a lovely guy who I spent a long time chatting with at Laguna Seca last weekend.

Last time we talked was at Croft just after he'd found out he wasn't able to do Le Mans and then the Vauxhall went on to break down, he was very disappointed that day.

Thankfully in the Californian sun he was in much happier mood even though he knew it was going to be hard work to get his Zytek prototype to a good finish against the Audis & Porsches.

Max was hoping to race the prototype but the officials decided he wasn't old enough so he raced a Mazda single seater instead and did pretty well. He's going to be doing another year of F3 in 2008.

All in all very nice guys and their Mum was lovely too! :)

Seconded! Im quite close with tom and have been for a few years, pre racing fame. He is very ambitious with his racing, yes he has said the odd slip up in the media, but have Plato, Neal and co not dropped a few clangers in their time? But because they are older they get away with it due to some aura of respect.

Its no secret Tom has a rich father who helped him find his feet, but would Tom have been in touring cars for 4-5 years if he had no talent. Would he have competed on a large number of occasions in the European/American Le Mans circuits if he wasnt an excellent driver with huge ability to race some of the fastest track cars in the world? Would he have been able to win races, and break records in touring cars if he was just a flash in the pan who was fronted by family money? Would he have broken lap records at tracks as prestigious as Laguna Seca?

He has had a dissapointing season yes, but as stated before, things happen behinds the scenes and its not easy being in a team partnered with Gio. Its comparable to being partnered with Schumacher in F1.

Give the guy a break, let him get to 26/27/28 with ten years experience and if by then he still hasnt proven his worth, then fair enough. But consider his racing CV and what he has achieved and then remember that the guy is 22 years old, I think some people tend to forget that.

Mark
13th November 2007, 17:41
So is Hamilton ;)

Les
13th November 2007, 19:18
So is Hamilton ;)

exactly

Captain VXR
14th November 2007, 16:33
But did Chilton have a team developing his skills from age 12?

SEATFreak
15th November 2007, 15:25
What do you guys make of this article?

http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=1625

Captain VXR
15th November 2007, 16:20
If its true - then my guess ages ago was correct - effectivly a driver swap

CFC/VXR
16th November 2007, 13:46
Chilton to Team Halfords heard that the other day!

peewhee
17th November 2007, 19:48
Confirmed...
http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=802
http://www.crash.net/motorsport/btcc/news/157320-0/halfords_confirms_second_driver.html

WSRfan82
18th November 2007, 03:22
yes speed king i do find chilton very annoyingly and cocky, considering the lack of achievement hes made sence he first appeared in the btcc. i also find chilton a very clumsy driver. how the hell hes lasted so long in the btcc i dont know.

and what hes said in his interview after he moved to TD, saying the honda will put him back in the winners circle...have to say it tom erm..no i wont

i honestly can see sheddon running circles round chilton next season and a big bill of honda spare parts for TD as well

and if chilton spent as much time improving on his driving as he does with his hair maybe just maybe he mite get some were

MBailey06
18th November 2007, 08:51
A bit of a scathing attack there WSRFan. Last season has finished just a month ago and you already have your crystal ball out for next year! Wait until the opening round of next year and see whether Tom talking himself up was accurate or not.

WSRfan82
18th November 2007, 11:25
o i will be right matey :)

Steelrat
18th November 2007, 11:39
o i will be right matey :)

You know, I don't think you will, Although Shedden *might* finish higher I think you underestimate TC when it comes to car damage. Feel free to correct me but I can only recall one incident that caused damage to TC's car last season that he could fully be accountable for.

As far as I'm concerned, if he has driving weakness's it's his enthusiastic use of the kerbs and his difficulty in defending his position on the track but even then he's lost it in a racing manner as opposed to risking the car. Cast your mind back to Rockingham. Wasn't that a superb piece of racing between him and TO-C?

Chilton is not a crash-bang-wallop merchant and I believe that the Civic is the ideal car for him.

Anyway, we'll see.

P

Les
18th November 2007, 12:24
I tend to agree with you there - I think the VX just didn't suit Tom's style of driving and then as the results didn't come and the scathing remarks from VX did and his confidence was hit.
He drove so much better at Thruxton when (I presume) the deal had been done.
Roll on 2008 and a new car and let's see how it goes

SEATFreak
18th November 2007, 12:58
I just think one important issue will be experience.

'Flash' already has a year on Tom in the Civic before next year has even come around and so probably knows it's handling more.

So to say "I will do well and get podiums" is a little hasty.

Tom does have more experiece in one respect - time in the BTCC.

But 'Flash' is a very good driver - if not championship class. He may not have spend as many years as Tom in the series but I think he has shown whatever the quality and standard of racing he can cope.

SSC
18th November 2007, 19:27
I tend to agree with you there - I think the VX just didn't suit Tom's style of driving and then as the results didn't come and the scathing remarks from VX did and his confidence was hit.
He drove so much better at Thruxton when (I presume) the deal had been done.
Roll on 2008 and a new car and let's see how it goes

Helped that he finally got the same setup as Gio... And funnily enough he was far more competitive.

As for his comments about how well he will do next season, i cant believe people are giving him a hard time about it.

Whats he supposed to say? 'Yeh im probably going to get one or two podiums all season, I dont have much hope for the car or my prospects...' Hes a professional racing driver, they will all be bigging up their chances, his has just come out early on the back of the deal hes signed.

tdb
18th November 2007, 19:29
it's all about being able to set up a car.
At VXR Tom was given Gio's set up and had to live with it!

At TD they need a guy good on feedback and set up because Gordan isn't.
So given a car set up the way he wants it, i think Tom will prove what he is truly capable of.

And without Matt to set his car up for him, maybe gordan won't be so "Flash".

mattie007
18th November 2007, 23:25
I also doubt Tom is being paid more at TD compared to VXR, seeing as his Dad pays for the drive!

But he should be better in an Independant Civic, thats where he has had his best results.

DazzlaF1
18th November 2007, 23:54
I also doubt Tom is being paid more at TD compared to VXR, seeing as his Dad pays for the drive!

But he should be better in an Independant Civic, thats where he has had his best results.

Aye, the Civic seems to suit him more than the Vectra, so maybe we could see him snatch 1 or 2 race wins next season.

WSRfan82
19th November 2007, 01:57
:P im LMAO i did like chilton once if im honest but not any more his heads to big and as egos gone through the roof but like neal :)

tdb
19th November 2007, 12:42

Who told you that?
Do you know for certain Tom's dad is paying for the TD drive?

jackmarsh
19th November 2007, 13:07
His dad isn't paying for the drive. A rather large sponsor is, and before you say it, not one that his dad got for him. What some people have to remember here is that Tom is an incredibly friendly guy, a bit cocky, but I've known him since we were 0, born 3 days apart, and have to agree with SSC that how can you not big your new deal up, you can't say I think I'm going to be in the top 6 most meetings with the occasional win can you??? Doesn't send the right image to Halfords and other sponsors of TD.

Im not going to get embroiled into a discussion on Tom's ability, but what I will say is that there were some pretty poor things going on at Vauxhall, and to be honest he needed to get out. The fact that the only time all season that the two Vectra's were specked to the same level were at Thruxton, when on team orders Tom had to stay behind Gio.

if you look at Turkington's career since he left VXR I'd say he made a pretty good decision, and getting the boot actually worked very well for his career indeed. Tom's results whilst at Arena in the Civic were very decent indeed. People on here were talking about most improved driver one year. He will be back in a Civic, back in a team that are close-knit and care about BOTH drivers. Its up to him to show that he has what it takes now.

The final thing I will say is that from VXR's point of view I think Tom was there to do all the advertising and publicity stuff and Gio was there to win the title. If some can't see that then they are being extremely tough on someone that really wasn't given a chance. I hope that Matt doesn't have the same problems.

I say good luck to Tom next year and then we can re-open this debate after 3 rounds and see whether we were right or wrong. havent posted on here in a long time, but felt I had to given the harsh criticism and ill informed opinions of tom's time at VXR.