PDA

View Full Version : The Red Arrows

CarlMetro
16th October 2007, 22:51
I know the forum has in the past thrown out threads with online petitions before, so feel free to do so with this one if you wish. However I thought I would add this thread to highlight to downright absurdness of the Great British government.

The world-famous Red Arrows have been banned from appearing at the 2012 London Olympics because they are deemed 'too British'.

Organisers of the event say that the Arrows military background might be 'offensive' to other countries taking part in the Games. The display team have performed at more than 4000 events worldwide, but the Department of Culture, Media and Sport have deemed the display team 'too militaristically British'. Red Arrows pilots were said to be 'outraged', as they had hoped to put on a truly world class display for the Games, something which had never been seen before. Being axed from a British-based event for being 'too British' is an insult - the Arrows are a symbol of Britain.

The Red Arrows have been excellent ambassadors for British overseas trade, as they display their British-built Hawk aircraft all over the world.

The Arrows performed a short flypast in 2005 when the winning bid was announced, but their flypast at the Games was to have been truly spectacular.

It is to be hoped that common sense prevails

If you disagree with this decision, sign the petition on the link

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/RedArrows2012/?ref=redArrows2012

Daniel
16th October 2007, 22:59
I'm sorry to say it Carl but it seems like you've been had :mark:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/15/red_arrows_rumpus/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/help/3681938.stm

Far be it from me to suggest the Sun is crappy publication but the Sun is a PoS IMHO. Got to love the fact that the BBC just continue the speculation instead of trying to dispell the rumours?

CarlMetro
17th October 2007, 00:39
Ho hum, not the first time, and won't be the last :rolleyes: :laugh:

BDunnell
17th October 2007, 13:03
I don't believe this story either.

Daniel
17th October 2007, 13:06
Ho hum, not the first time, and won't be the last :rolleyes: :laugh:
Oh well :) Happens. Nothing wrong with standing up for a proper issue :up: Only problem is the issue is a non-issue :p

Drew
17th October 2007, 13:35
:laugh:

CarlMetro
17th October 2007, 15:30
The sad thing is though, nobody would put it past our government to make a decision like this, would they?

180,000 and counting...........

Daniel
17th October 2007, 15:34
Well it would be the Olympics commitee that's in charge of these sort of decisions surely? :)

BDunnell
17th October 2007, 15:41
The sad thing is though, nobody would put it past our government to make a decision like this, would they?

180,000 and counting...........

Only, I think, because certain parts of the tabloid press kick up such a fuss about 'political correctness gone mad'-type stories, a lot of which are simply untrue.

Daniel
17th October 2007, 15:48
Only, I think, because certain parts of the tabloid press kick up such a fuss about 'political correctness gone mad'-type stories, a lot of which are simply untrue.
Don't worry they'll print a retraction in a weeks time on page 37. Together with a big sensationalist story on the front page about Polish immigrants coming here and coming here and asking for half a litre of beer instead of a pint.

Dave B
17th October 2007, 17:18
I'm waiting for the Daily Mail to go with something like "SINGLE-MOTHER IMMIGRANT GYPSIES WITH AIDS BAN RED ARROWS AND KILLED DIANA - IS MADELEINE NEXT?" before I sign up :p

BDunnell
17th October 2007, 19:43
I'm waiting for the Daily Mail to go with something like "SINGLE-MOTHER IMMIGRANT GYPSIES WITH AIDS BAN RED ARROWS AND KILLED DIANA - IS MADELEINE NEXT?" before I sign up :p

Utter sensationalist nonsense. At last one of the immigrant gypsies in question WAS married.

Brown, Jon Brow
17th October 2007, 21:07

Did you see the QI episode on on Friday when the did a 'Call my Bluff' spoof? ;)

BDunnell
17th October 2007, 23:27
Did you see the QI episode on on Friday when the did a 'Call my Bluff' spoof? ;)

No. Sadly — very sadly — I missed it.

Dave B
18th October 2007, 09:48
It's repeated on BBC TWO this Friday, and on the iPlayer. T'was vintage Fry. :)

Daniel
18th October 2007, 12:31
http://www.theregister.com/2007/10/18/vulcan_flight/ something to cheer about Carl :cheese:

BDunnell
19th October 2007, 23:26
It's repeated on BBC TWO this Friday, and on the iPlayer. T'was vintage Fry. :)

Just seen it. Wonderful stuff.