PDA

View Full Version : Sidelights? (what's the point?!?!?!?)

Daniel
16th October 2007, 13:14
What's the point of sidelights and why does my car have a position for these useless things on it's instrument stalk? Around these parts when it starts to get to dusk lots of people put their sidelights on as if it's going to help people see them :mark: I'm one of those people who rightly or wrongly has his low beam's on whenever I'm driving as I think that it gives people a better chance of seeing my car.

What use are sidelights? :mark:

Iain
16th October 2007, 13:16
For when it's a bit dull, but not dark enough to justify dipped beam lights. I use mine a lot, mainly because it also illuminates my dials when it's a bit dull and I can see them better.

Mark
16th October 2007, 13:17
Sidelights are better described as parking lights. By law your car must display lights all night if parked on the highway. The only exception is if there is a 30mph (or less) speed limit, the road is lit and you are parked facing the direction of traffic flow.

You are right, in dusk they are of little benefit because of the ambient light, they don't do any good anyway. I'm of the opinion that if you need to have lights, turn them on!

Iain
16th October 2007, 13:21
I have parking lights and sidelights. :cheese:

Daniel
16th October 2007, 13:23
Sidelights are better described as parking lights. By law your car must display lights all night if parked on the highway. The only exception is if there is a 30mph (or less) speed limit, the road is lit and you are parked facing the direction of traffic flow.

You are right, in dusk they are of little benefit because of the ambient light, they don't do any good anyway. I'm of the opinion that if you need to have lights, turn them on!
Agreed. If you need lights use your proper one. Iain, you're quite right. I don't feel right driving even during the daytime unless my dials are illuminated so perhaps there is a point to them in a way. But you either need proper lights or you don't :p Like I said I have my low beams on whenever I'm driving as no one can complain that they can't see my car :)

J4MIE
16th October 2007, 13:56
So that you aren't dazzled by people with poorly adjusted headlights?

There are so many of them about, that really annoys me :mad:

Daniel
16th October 2007, 13:58
So that you aren't dazzled by people with poorly adjusted headlights?

There are so many of them about, that really annoys me :mad:
But even poorly adjusted headlights will barely dazzle you at dusk :p

GridGirl
16th October 2007, 14:10
I use my sidelights as thats what I was taught to use when I was learning to drive. I would much rather see people use the dipped beam than the idiots thats feel it appropriate to use sidelights and fogs lights when not in the slightest big foggy.

Daniel
16th October 2007, 14:15
I use my sidelights as thats what I was taught to use when I was learning to drive. I would much rather see people use the dipped beam than the idiots thats feel it appropriate to use sidelights and fogs lights when not in the slightest big foggy.
Yes but what's the benefit of sidelights?

Yes people who use foglights are ninnies. I used my rear foglight today on the duel carriageway when there was lots of spray. About the 2nd or 3rd time I've used it :p

Brown, Jon Brow
16th October 2007, 15:46
I use them at dusk or on dull days just to light up my dials.

Daniel
16th October 2007, 15:48
I use them at dusk or on dull days just to light up my dials.
Like I said that's a fair point but what's the actual point of the lights themselves? :confused:

Brown, Jon Brow
16th October 2007, 15:53
Like I said I have my low beams on whenever I'm driving as no one can complain that they can't see my car :)

Dipped headlights can dazzle the car in front when you go over a crest.

Daniel
16th October 2007, 16:01
Dipped headlights can dazzle the car in front when you go over a crest.
Not really at dusk or dawn. You get dazzled when it's dark anyway. It happens :) As I said the sidelight doesn't really make your car all that more visible and it definitely doesn't provide any useful light which makes it easier for you to see.

GridGirl
16th October 2007, 17:00

Yes people who use foglights are ninnies. I used my rear foglight today on the duel carriageway when there was lots of spray. About the 2nd or 3rd time I've used it :p

In my car you need atleast the sidelights on to be able to use the fog lights. I didn't say there was a specific benefit to using sidelights, but they of use and I guess beneficial to the ninnies as you call them who wish to use their fog lights in times when its not foggy. :p

Wilderness
16th October 2007, 17:06
I don't get the parking/side lights in my japanese car. A town near where I live has an ordinance that requires the parking lights to be on if night street parking (the only one in the area). The automatic lights turn off when the key is off the ignition and I open the door, even if using the manual switch. If I exit out the window, the lights time out after 15 minutes. What is the point?

Alfa Fan
16th October 2007, 17:57
You should only really have your lights on when needed! Otherwise your wasting fuel and there's also the problem Jon eluded to as well.

Daniel
16th October 2007, 18:23
You should only really have your lights on when needed! Otherwise your wasting fuel and there's also the problem Jon eluded to as well.
Yes when needed as in driving on a country lane in a green car when everything else is green. I'm not bothered about the .00000000000000000000000000000000002mpg cost in fuel. How the hell do you get dazzled during the day by low beam headlights? (are you looking directly at them????) :confused: In Australia the Police reccomend having your lights on all day :) Which I do purely because it makes it easier for other cars to see me from front and back and that can only be a good thing.

Dave B
16th October 2007, 19:21
An average petrol engine generates about 100KW, while sidelights will use on average 16W front and back - hardly a significant worry. Even 100 watts worth of headlights is a drop in the ocean.

schmenke
16th October 2007, 19:45
... In Australia the Police reccomend having your lights on all day ...

Canadian law requires all cars equipped with "daytime running lights" which mean the headlights are on all the time.

Daniel
16th October 2007, 20:00
Yup. Same as in Finland :)

jim mcglinchey
16th October 2007, 20:08
An average petrol engine generates about 100KW, while sidelights will use on average 16W front and back - hardly a significant worry. Even 100 watts worth of headlights is a drop in the ocean..

Its more the output of the alternator that concerns you, and its a couple of KW.

Wilderness
16th October 2007, 20:25
Canadian law requires all cars equipped with "daytime running lights" which mean the headlights are on all the time.
http://www.lightsout.org/story.html

While there are instances when turning the headlights on during the day, there are many other examples when using them is just a waste. DRLs are another example where education can easily override the need for nanny state mandates. I am glad my car does not have them and I know when I should or not run the headlights during the day.

Another example are tire monitoring systems, which will be mandatory in the US in 2008, so nanny state burocrats can feel good about themselves, instead of educating the general public. So now, in the name of "safety", cars carry nanny systems that cost hundreds of dollars because people cannot check tire pressures once a month using a $20 gauge.

fandango
16th October 2007, 21:17

Seemingly, you're not even supposed to do that, according to some systems, because it can dazzle the drivers behind due to the reflection on the wet road surface.

schmenke
16th October 2007, 21:29
[quote="Wilderness"]

Tbh, I never even think about it. It's really not a big deal :mark:

Wilderness
16th October 2007, 21:42
It does become a big deal when people don't think about it, for example: relying on the DRLs and not turning their headlights in heavy rain. Making themselves hard to see from behind since they don't have their tailights on.

Daniel
16th October 2007, 22:29
Seemingly, you're not even supposed to do that, according to some systems, because it can dazzle the drivers behind due to the reflection on the wet road surface.
Which would make sense if you could see the road for all of the spray :mark: I don't just drive along with my rear foglight on all the time of course. That would just be silly.

schmenke
16th October 2007, 22:31
What's a rear foglight :?:

Daniel
16th October 2007, 22:44
http://www.lightsout.org/story.html

ROTFLMAO

Apparently each American will use 2 gallons more fuel. Big wow! I might save 1 pound a month! I might also end up dead because one of the local dimwits who think it's fun to travel around corners suitable only for 1.5 cars to go around too fast. Perhaps if each American wasn't using an engine that was about 13,000 cubic inches too big and a car that was waaaaay too big then they'd save a lot more than 2 gallons per american per year.

I admit that fitting DRL high beams is moronic and AFAIK in Finland it's low beam's only. I could be wrong though.....

Daniel
16th October 2007, 22:45
What's a rear foglight :?:
Red light on the back of your car :) Part of one of the light clusters :)

Wilderness
16th October 2007, 23:01
ROTFLMAO
I could be wrong though.....
Painting every American with one stroke of the brush is....

Daniel
16th October 2007, 23:05
Painting every American with one stroke of the brush is....
It's called humour. I know not every American drives a big V8 truck but a lot of Americans do and probably don't need to :)

Wilderness
16th October 2007, 23:08
$90, and soon $100/bbl oil will go a long way in fixing that.

Daniel
16th October 2007, 23:09
I do hope so :)

schmenke
16th October 2007, 23:11

That's what was said when it hit $50/bbl ;)

Thanks Daniel, I don't think I've ever seen rear fog lights.

Daniel
16th October 2007, 23:15
The really bright lights are foglights :)

http://www.discovery-automotive.com/projects/abdullam5/DSC01618.jpg

Daniel
16th October 2007, 23:24
As for anyone who's not seen sidelights here's an actually fairly decent example of sidelights. But on most cars it looks like you've been working on your car and a mini maglite got shoved through your reflector. It's just pitiful and people need to just put their headlights on and be done with it!

http://audi.kris-hansen.com/images/citylights_a.jpg

Wilderness
16th October 2007, 23:28
That's what was said when it hit $50/bbl ;)

Thanks Daniel, I don't think I've ever seen rear fog lights.
One can only hope.

Yes, you probably have. You mostly see the rear fogs on european cars. It seems as they are riding the brakes (and usually on a clear night).
The last model Olds Aurora had them on the rear bumper. Older Audi A6s have two rear fogs on both sides of the license plate, separate from the tailight housing.

Wilderness
16th October 2007, 23:31
It's called humour. I know not every American drives a big V8 truck but a lot of Americans do and probably don't need to :)
Hence the wide use of smilies... :rolleyes:

Daniel
16th October 2007, 23:33
Hence the use of figures like 13,000 cubic inches too big :)

Wilderness
16th October 2007, 23:40
Hence what you told your girl regaring your 12 inches... http://forums.maxima.org/images/smilies/rofl.gif

schmenke
17th October 2007, 16:08
...Yes, you probably have. ...

Nope, not around here :) . I guess we don't get enough fog :mark:

Wilderness
17th October 2007, 16:43
You don't need fog to run the foglights around here! It's all about showing off, since most cars that have rear fogs around here are high end. You name it, Jags, Range Rovers, Mercs, Audis, Porsches, Bimmers; it never fails to see at least one on a clear night running all fog lights.

Daniel
17th October 2007, 16:48
You don't need fog to run the foglights around here! It's all about showing off, since most cars that have rear fogs around here are high end. You name it, Jags, Range Rovers, Mercs, Audis, Porsches, Bimmers; it never fails to see at least one on a clear night running all fog lights.
It can also be an accident. It's all too easy to knock the foglight switch on in my g/f's Subaru. A lot of people here are just plain ignorant and think more light is better :) Low beam headlights are sufficient unless it's foggy in which case foglights are best.

Wilderness
17th October 2007, 17:10
No accident. Nothing looks more trendy than xenon headlights with fogs on.

Daniel
17th October 2007, 17:15
No accident. Nothing looks more trendy than xenon headlights with fogs on.
Yes master.

Mark
17th October 2007, 17:34
You know what we call a car without rear fog lights in the UK? Illegal! :p

Wilderness
17th October 2007, 17:54
You know what we call a car running with fog lights on on a clear night? A Yuppie!!!

Daniel
17th October 2007, 17:59
You know what we call a car running with fog lights on on a clear night? A Yuppie!!!
Yes master :)

slinkster
18th October 2007, 12:12
I have never ONCE used sidelights on a car... and I think I only would if I had to park my car somewhere unlit overnight or something. I'd leave them on then. I thought that was kinda what they were for.

Dave B
18th October 2007, 15:15
I must admit I've never really seen the point of sidelights: if you can see piddly little 4W bulbs then chances are you can already see the car they're attached to.

speedy king
18th October 2007, 19:13
What i hate is the new BMW's they BLIND you in your mirror even on dip...