PDA

View Full Version : Official: Massa to stay with Ferrari until 2010

Dave B
16th October 2007, 12:05
No great surprise there, Massa's to stay with the Reds for the next few years. That's one less place for Alonso to go, I guess.... :p

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=41061

janneppi
16th October 2007, 12:55
It certainly makes the rumour that Alonso has signed to Ferrari for 2009 onwards unlikely, unless of course Kimi retires or moves back to McLaren. Good for Massa. Hes worked hard for the seat.

pino
16th October 2007, 12:57
Briatore will be happy about this news :p : I am glad for Massa though :up:

ioan
16th October 2007, 13:55
Very good news indeed. :up:
A very very fast driver, the best qualifier this season, pitty the car let him down on a few occasions!

PS:I wonder what are Felipe's detractors thinking about this?!

pino
16th October 2007, 14:01

Have a look at a poll on http://www.marca.com and you will find out :p :

Juppe
16th October 2007, 14:17
Well, this certainly gives some stability for Ferrari for the next couple of years.

Ferrari has got a good pairing, a one that is stabilazing for the team, there seems to be no great controversies between the two drivers and they should be able to fight for the both championships.

I'm glad that stupid Alonso rumour went away.

W8&C
16th October 2007, 14:20
PS:I wonder what are Felipe's detractors thinking about this?!Maybe: „..hadn´t thought that Kimi needs a certified lapdog!...“ :D

Garry Walker
16th October 2007, 14:22
good news. I hope those Alonso fans who were adamant about Alonso being a done deal at Ferrari for 2009 now have a lot of brown content in their pants :rotflmao:

jens
16th October 2007, 16:37
Great news IMO too!! :up: :)

Ferrari has often considered continuity as an important factor. Actually the last full-time driver, who was kept in Ferrari for less than three seasons (!), was Capelli back in 1992, who drove just one year...

rohanweb
16th October 2007, 17:40
Good news that Massa got the contract extended, he is a rather good personality & works well within the ferrari! goodluck to Philipe

the time the announcement made is certainly make him go even faster , specially at interlagos.. .. and it is indeed a concern for LH,FA & KR who are looking to win next week!!!

markabilly
17th October 2007, 01:13
I wonder...FM is managed by the son of Todt and Todt hates Alsonoso so so much for being snubbed one time (and probably for robbing and stealing two wdc titles from MS.............................

Hummmm......who is better driver, "Felipme crash into car door Massa" or "freddie the blackmailerbeat by da rookie"....gee would I want the fastest of the two, or NOT WANT the one that might blackmail my team into losing all constructor points and 100 million dollars for a year or two....

gee I don't know, that is a tough one

wmcot
17th October 2007, 06:42
But let's not forget that Massa has been under contract to Ferrari since 2001 and despite that, he hasn't always been driving a red car!

leopard
17th October 2007, 09:25
It's quite predictable that having Kimi in hand wouldn't give Alonso a seat at Ferrari, unless a force majeure happens one of the drivers decided to retire or moving somewhere else.
Massa is the right man in the right place and deserves that extended contract.

Although using the current formation of drivers would it make Ferrari quite up to topple the powerful Hamilton at McLaren, with or without Alonso being there.

markabilly
17th October 2007, 10:56
I wonder...FM is managed by the son of Todt and Todt hates Alsonoso so so much for being snubbed one time (and probably for robbing and stealing two wdc titles from MS.............................

Hummmm......who is better driver, "Felipme crash into car door Massa" or "freddie the blackmailerbeat by da rookie"....gee would I want the fastest of the two, or NOT WANT the one that might blackmail my team into losing all constructor points and 100 million dollars for a year or two....

gee I don't know, that is a tough one

sorry, should have added, "if he can not beat Kimi and be number one or else his laptop is going....." :D

man that is still a tough one :s mokin:

jas123f1
17th October 2007, 12:41
I think it was a good decision to keep Massa. He is a Ferrari guy, team player and in level with Alonso. There is only one driver who is better than Massa and he already is a Ferrari driver (Kimi) so very good and wise decision .. of Todt and company… :)

Valve Bounce
17th October 2007, 13:54
Very good news indeed. :up:
A very very fast driver, the best qualifier this season, pitty the car let him down on a few occasions!

Well, if they believe you, then it is reasonable to assume they think he is best qualifier this season.

seppefan
17th October 2007, 16:20
No great surprise there, Massa's to stay with the Reds for the next few years. That's one less place for Alonso to go, I guess.... :p

He has signed a contract up to and including 2010 but it does not mean that he will always be in a Ferrari as a race driver....we have no idea of any clauses that Ferrari have written in and I reckon that this is a smokescreen.

Sleeper
17th October 2007, 20:23
Great news IMO too!! :up: :)

Ferrari has often considered continuity as an important factor. Actually the last full-time driver, who was kept in Ferrari for less than three seasons (!), was Capelli back in 1992, who drove just one year...
Who was Alesi's team mate in 93 then?

jens
17th October 2007, 20:33
Who was Alesi's team mate in 93 then?

Gerhard Berger. :bulb:

rabf1
17th October 2007, 20:36
"I reckon that this is a smokescreen"

Why? I think Ferrari would be foolish to get involved with Fred and his insanity. Massa seems to be a perfect #2 who doesn't complain and follows orders. Ferrari can win many championships with Kimi and Massa.

airshifter
17th October 2007, 20:49
I like Massa, but I have to wonder if anyone would commit to a driver for such a period with all the new young talents coming on to the scene. Overall Massa didn't drive as well as I thought he would this year, but he would still be very valuable as a tester or other positions within the team.

A lot can change over three seasons, and I don't think Ferrari missed that fact. ;)

GP-M3
18th October 2007, 03:07
Why? I think Ferrari would be foolish to get involved with Fred and his insanity. Massa seems to be a perfect #2 who doesn't complain and follows orders. Ferrari can win many championships with Kimi and Massa.

Exactly what I was thinking.

I think a few things were clear this year.

1) It took Kimi 1/2 season to adapt (mostly) to the new car and tires.
2) Massa is quick in qualifying and is excellent if he gets out in front and can just do lap after fast lap with no interferance.
3) Kimi is faster now, and a better racer. Kimi is the only one of the top three that managed to stay very closely behind the one in front for the entire race. Every time someone else was behind, they dropped back significantly, and quickly.

Plus this year the car was designed for MS/Massa in the style those two seemed to share and was adapted as best as possible once they knew Kimi's preferences from experience. Next years car will be designed with Kimi in mind and it should be a great year.

leopard
18th October 2007, 03:53
You maybe true, something that certainly to be true Nando didn't need any 1/2 season :s

Cozzie
18th October 2007, 06:08
Great news, he deserves a drive in a top car, rather than in a Toyota or some midfield no hoper. IMO he has been better than Kimi this year but his car's reliability has hurt him. A future WDC perhaps?

Tazio
18th October 2007, 06:16

Not if Kimi meets up with an unfortunate accident.

jas123f1
18th October 2007, 09:02
Exactly what I was thinking.

I think a few things were clear this year.

1) It took Kimi 1/2 season to adapt (mostly) to the new car and tires.
2) Massa is quick in qualifying and is excellent if he gets out in front and can just do lap after fast lap with no interferance.
3) Kimi is faster now, and a better racer. Kimi is the only one of the top three that managed to stay very closely behind the one in front for the entire race. Every time someone else was behind, they dropped back significantly, and quickly.

Plus this year the car was designed for MS/Massa in the style those two seemed to share and was adapted as best as possible once they knew Kimi's preferences from experience. Next years car will be designed with Kimi in mind and it should be a great year.

I think you are right in your analyses. It's quite understandable that the car was more suited to Schumi and Massa in beginning of the season. One can also see that after USA have Kimi scored 68 points, Alonso 55, Hamilton 49 and Massa 47. So I think it’s going in right direction for Kimi. :)

ioan
18th October 2007, 09:41
I think you are right in your analyses. It's quite understandable that the car was more suited to Schumi and Massa in beginning of the season. One can also see that after USA have Kimi scored 68 points, Alonso 55, Hamilton 49 and Massa 47. So I think it’s going in right direction for Kimi. :)

With Massa, Alonso and Hamilton all having a DNF since than (Massa's one was due to mechanical problems).

For me Kimi and Felipe are equally good, just with different strengths! And that's a good thing.

Juppe
18th October 2007, 17:30
You maybe true, something that certainly to be true Nando didn't need any 1/2 season :s

How did you come to that conclusion?

leopard
19th October 2007, 03:18
True, we can't easily forget the teammate's role as reflected by this poll ;)
http://forums.motorsport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121347&page=5

leopard
19th October 2007, 03:25
How did you come to that conclusion?
Thought you already knew that.

jas123f1
19th October 2007, 08:53
True, we can't easily forget the teammate's role as reflected by this poll ;)
http://forums.motorsport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121347&page=5

Massa:.. 2, 5, 2, 13, 1, -, 2, 6, 3 (BRA

Kimi:..... 1, 1, --, 2, 2, 3, 1, 3, 1 (BRA

As you can see Massa forgot to help him in Istanbul :) and won with 2,5 sec.

No, i don't think Massa has helped Kimi at all (however until now) and i think he shouldn't do it either. :)

leopard
19th October 2007, 09:33
As you can see Massa forgot to help him in Istanbul :) and won with 2,5 sec.

Massa can be penalized for helping driver 2.5 secs slower to win :)

Juppe
19th October 2007, 10:58
Thought you already knew that.

Oh, you didn't know either? Don't worry, it happens sometimes.

ioan
19th October 2007, 11:01
No, i don't think Massa has helped Kimi at all (however until now) and i think he shouldn't do it either. :)

Let's see, Fuji 2007, Massa pits with a few laps to go, strange that hey couldn't keep him in the box 1 or 2 seconds longer when he made his previous stop.
No, he didn't help Kimi at all. :rolleyes:

Garry Walker
19th October 2007, 13:27
Let's see, Fuji 2007, Massa pits with a few laps to go, strange that hey couldn't keep him in the box 1 or 2 seconds longer when he made his previous stop.
No, he didn't help Kimi at all. :rolleyes:

The fuel tank of Ferrari didnt allow for more fuel to be put in. No team orders there, although FM would have moved over for KR anyway. But the pitstop was normal and FM needed it. The alternative would have been doing a Rubens Interlagos 2003.

Garry Walker
19th October 2007, 13:28
With Massa, Alonso and Hamilton all having a DNF since than (Massa's one was due to mechanical problems).

To be fair, Kimi has had a car-related DNF since then too (The Ring)

ioan
19th October 2007, 16:02
To be fair, Kimi has had a car-related DNF since then too (The Ring)

You're right. My bad.