PDA

View Full Version : Today's police crackdown is ....

Hazell B
13th October 2007, 19:16
.... mobile phone use whilst driving.
Well, at least it is here in the Humberside area.

What I don't understand is why they always advertise a police crackdown on something before they start. We even have a community newspaper telling us where and at what times (to the minute) speed cameras will be over the next few weeks :rolleyes:

Surely saying you're going to target a certain crime for a set period just stops that crime for that period? If you spent the first week nabbing the crims, then advertised the second week along with statistics of how many have already been caught, it would do a better job? Then we'd know that they could be coming on heavy with, for example, all mobile users at any time rather than the current system where regular phone users while driving will just stop for the two advertsied weeks :mark:

Anyway, shouldn't they always target law breakers? :s

nicemms
13th October 2007, 21:07
Doesn't the Hull daily mail motoring section tell you where the camera are or maybe its another paper!

I definately remember seeing a map of them, like u said, in a paper at my grandma's house.

LiamM
14th October 2007, 00:03
Most camera partnerships have a website advertising where their cameras will be over the following weeks.

The question you have to ask yourself is, why do you need to take any notice of these anyway, don't break the law and you will have nothing to worry about?

Drew
14th October 2007, 01:55
.... mobile phone use whilst driving.
Well, at least it is here in the Humberside area.

What I don't understand is why they always advertise a police crackdown on something before they start. We even have a community newspaper telling us where and at what times (to the minute) speed cameras will be over the next few weeks :rolleyes:

Surely saying you're going to target a certain crime for a set period just stops that crime for that period? If you spent the first week nabbing the crims, then advertised the second week along with statistics of how many have already been caught, it would do a better job? Then we'd know that they could be coming on heavy with, for example, all mobile users at any time rather than the current system where regular phone users while driving will just stop for the two advertsied weeks :mark:

Anyway, shouldn't they always target law breakers? :s

In Bangor I've seen police cars (both marked and unmarked) and police officers hiden in alleys and other areas to catch out motorists. It's good for moneymaking

Dave B
14th October 2007, 10:07
The theory behind all policing is not to catch people, but rather deter them in the first place.

It's a good theory....

Caroline
14th October 2007, 10:11
In Bangor I've seen police cars (both marked and unmarked) and police officers hiden in alleys and other areas to catch out motorists. It's good for moneymaking

North Wales police also drive around in unmarked saloon cars, usually Fords and unmarked people carriers!! It's the last thing you expect to see pulled up on the A55!

Drew
14th October 2007, 19:28
North Wales police also drive around in unmarked saloon cars, usually Fords and unmarked people carriers!! It's the last thing you expect to see pulled up on the A55!

Yes indeed, you didn't know about them?

And the Chief Constable wants drugs to be legalised, crazy :confused:

schmenke
15th October 2007, 19:06

Around here if you see a people-carrier (we call 'em minivans :p : ) parked on the shoulder, you slow down (I speak from practical experience :s )
Similarily, unmarked police cruisers (we call 'em "ghost cars") patrolling the highways are either a Ford Crown Victoria or a Dodge Charger. If you see one with a second antenna poking out the back, you slow down :dozey:

BDunnell
15th October 2007, 23:38
This is hardly something new. I don't think people ought to be told about a crackdown to get them to stop using phones while driving (or riding). The trouble is that there will never be enough police to stop everyone who does it on the spot.

J4MIE
16th October 2007, 04:57
Luckily Fife Constabulary have a policy of having no fixed speed cameras, just the usual mobile van(s) and I know every spot around here where they park them, and usually when too - last weekend of the month, particularly on Sunday mornings.

:D

Hazell B
18th October 2007, 01:21
The question you have to ask yourself is, why do you need to take any notice of these anyway, don't break the law and you will have nothing to worry about?

That is exactly my point.

I don't go over 30 if that's the speed for that bit of road, nor do I use my phone and didn't answer it often before the ban.

It's not slowing me down very much, it's not stopping me live a perfectly happy life and it's not going to get me a fine. However, when I slow to 30 in most areas from the NSL, what do I get? A heap of other cars appearing behind me tailgating and champing at the bit to go just one or two miles an hour faster. Pointless, people ;)

Easy Drifter
28th October 2007, 19:05
Many years ago we were making good time at about 1 am. with very little traffic across the dead flat Manitoba prairie coming back from a race in BC. Next race was the coming weekend in Quebec. We were hauling a couple of FB cars. Came up on a current model Ford with two people and the long haired passenger was right up against the driver. We passed and the Ford lit up. When the driver went back to the RCMP car there were two mounties and a wig in the back seat. This was before women cops and before male long hair. :D

thetrooper_uk
15th November 2007, 02:45
They have to release the areas where they will be sitting by law. If they don't it's classed as entrapment.

schmenke
20th November 2007, 18:38
They have to release the areas where they will be sitting by law. If they don't it's classed as entrapment.

Around here all that is required is a sign reading "Radar enforced" posted on the shoulder of the highway.

Hazell B
20th November 2007, 19:10
You know, I don't think they do have to advertise where they'll be at all. They do with speed cameras, but not with general laws like phone use, tyre checks and so on. Otherwise, how would they catch anyone at all?

Drew
20th November 2007, 19:21
You know, I don't think they do have to advertise where they'll be at all. They do with speed cameras, but not with general laws like phone use, tyre checks and so on. Otherwise, how would they catch anyone at all?

Well if the research is true, that whilst using your phone you're not concentrating enough you'd not see the signs and get caught.