PDA

View Full Version : New title sponsor for NEXTEL/Sprint Cup?

call_me_andrew
12th October 2007, 04:48
From autoextremist:

FUMES by Peter M. De Lorenzo

Will NASCAR be forced to look for another title sponsor again?

Detroit Now that the growth phase of NASCAR has stopped and it has begun its downward spiral of declining television ratings, noticeable gaps in attendance and other problems associated with an enterprise that is displaying all the signs of passing from being "what's now" to "what used to be" - NASCAR has new darkening clouds to contend with on the horizon. Namely, their title sponsor, Sprint, which merged with Nextel (the Nextel Cup becomes the Sprint Cup in 2008), is in trouble. Big trouble.

After spending $1.78 billion on advertising this year (including $70 million from the 10-year, $700 million deal to sponsor NASCAR signed in 2004), Sprint is losing customers at a prodigious rate. Over the just-completed third quarter Sprint lost 340,000 "postpaid" wireless customers (people who pay a monthly bill), which is a stunning number. So stunning, as a matter of fact, that Gary Forsee, the chairman and president-CEO of Sprint, resigned yesterday. Forsee, who had been the Sprint chief since 2003, engineered the merger with Nextel with dreams of spending $5 billion on advanced but unproven new technologies - and it has proven to be a major disappointment. The merger itself has been slow to add value to the unified companies - which is obviously a concern to the financial community - but the erosion of paying customers is another alarming trend altogether. If you can't keep individual paying customers from abandoning your brand, it doesn't matter how good the corporate "synergies" sound on paper, does it?

Forsee blew up his marketing and advertising departments in an attempt to jump start the company's media presence, even hiring Goodby, Silverstein & Partners, one of the ad industry's "hot" agencies of-the-moment. But it's far too early to tell if that will make enough difference to matter.

The bottom line in this situation is that if Sprint's fortunes continue trending downward, everything in that company will come under scrutiny. And yes, that means that the NASCAR title sponsorship deal will be high on the list of "involvements" that will come under review. Sprint is not only spending $70 million annually for the "privilege" of being NASCAR's title sponsor, it is spending another huge chunk of change (running into the millions) on promoting its NASCAR involvement. And if things keep going south for Sprint, it's easy to see how that NASCAR sponsorship deal will become a big fat target when the discussion turns to cutting expenses.

All of this adds up to a big bowl of Not Good for the Lords of Daytona Beach.

In the good old days, NASCAR had Winston, and things were good for more than 25 years. Then, Nextel came along, which was supposed to be the new-tech sponsor that would help propel NASCAR into the marketing stratosphere in the twenty-first century, but yet three years later they're changing the name of the series again to reflect a newly-merged company, but one that finds itself in deep trouble.

Don't be surprised if the next move made by Sprint is to craft an exit strategy - right out of NASCAR.

harvick#1
12th October 2007, 06:24
Brian France is an idiot plain and simple, he and Helton have ruined the sport I once used to love

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
12th October 2007, 10:21
Maybe nascar should get Winston back and write a letter of apology to fans for treating us with complete contemped.

well we can dream cant we?!

electron
12th October 2007, 11:52
somone should call Disney, I want it to be the Piston-Cup!

RaceFanStan
12th October 2007, 12:57
It's not surprising Sprint is losing customers ...
they appear to have NOT kept-up with the cellphone customers !

Alltel's "My Circle" is a popular feature ...
att&t's rollover minutes & full power signal is a great draw ...
Verizon's Network is impressive !
(these companys have used MARKETING to sell their products & services)

Sprint may offer a good service but their competitors have gotten the edge on marketing.
NASCAR may give Sprint exposure but the intelligent racefan will shop around for superior service !
Do to TV commercials Sprint's competitors have established a superior image.
(Chad vs the "nerds" usually makes me chuckle.) :D :up:

Sprint comes off as not being superior to their competitors ...
even NASCAR can't draw them customers if their service appears lacking ! http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

Alexamateo
12th October 2007, 14:12
..... Sprint comes off as not being superior to their competitors ...
even NASCAR can't draw them customers if their service appears lacking ! http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

Also, who's to say that they wouldn't have lost even more had the advertising and Nextel cup sponsorship not been in place. Sometimes when sales and revenue are down and a company is looking to cut expenses, there is a temptation to cut marketing and advertising budgets thinking that revenues will stay flat. It often turns out that sales erode even further putting the company further into the hole.

I work and sell in the construction industry, and had Nextel 5 years ago, I thought "Direct Connect" was the greatest thing since sliced bread, but the longer I used it, the more annoying it became. I hated being there talking to someone and then "Beep!, Beep!, Beep!", It's much better not to be interupted and just silently send someone to voicemail. Then, when you look around, other companies offer more bang for the buck.

I switched to T-mobile, and the only thing I am disappointed in is the fact Catherine Zeta-Jones doesn't hand deliver my bill every month! ;)

Sparky1329
12th October 2007, 16:28
When I hear that freakin' beeping I want to smack the person who's using the phone. I have yet to hear anybody say that the actual cell service is any good. To a person they thought the "Direct Connect" was great but that's where it ended.

Maybe if Sprint/Nextel offered a product comparable to their competition they wouldn't have to worry about financial disaster. Between friends and family members who have cell phones Verizon seems to be the best according to them.

Hoss Ghoul
13th October 2007, 10:24
I've had Sprint since 1998 and the service has been excellent. I can't speak to Verizon, but friends with AT&T(plus Cingular, now) have complained of terrible service/coverage. Nextel's walkie talkie gimmick is just that, a gimmck, I can see where it would be great for certain people, and in certain industries, but it is not a selling point.

Regardless, Sprint isn't going away in NASCAR, they have a contract and will be here for many years to come, count on that. Sports marketing is still the #1 way to go for big companies and that isn't likely to change anytime soon. Whoever replaces Sprint in 5+ years will be paying a lot more than $70million year, you can count on that too.

Cole_Trickle
13th October 2007, 11:39
I've heard, 90% of callls not dropped out is a 'good' stat for a US telco? (I think it was a T-Mobile ad, 90% calls connected first time) because that is absolutely shocking, I never have a problem.