PDA

View Full Version : Liz takes Honour Back!

Hazell B
1st January 2007, 19:35
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/6222389.stm

Hope this link works!

Hazell B
1st January 2007, 19:40
Naseem Hamed has had his MBE (I thought he had an OBE?) taken away after finishing his jail term for dangerous driving.

About ruddy time!

The man's a menace. He almost killed people, then tried to flee the crime, after which he said his guard was driving. Why a boxing champ who claimed he's unbeatable needed a guard, we will never know :p :

Causing a crash so serious is bad enough, but blaming somebody totally inocent is disgusting. There were some rumours of witnesses being sought out and 'spoken to' aswell, but not enough evidence ever came forward.

Drew
1st January 2007, 20:11
Oi you no!

Did nobody teach the Queen that taking back a gift is bad manners?

Anyway, I just hope that Zara what's her face does something illegal, then we'll see what rules she has to stick by :\

bowler
1st January 2007, 23:22
Did nobody teach the Queen that taking back a gift is bad manners?

:\

an award is not a gift. it can be removed at any time by the person who awarded it.

Bulldog#1
2nd January 2007, 00:44
the queen saved her honour and should be applauded

LeonBrooke
2nd January 2007, 07:42
How amusing.

sal
2nd January 2007, 11:27
Calling himself Prince probably didnt help his cause much either...

BDunnell
2nd January 2007, 12:41
Same they don't do the same in relation to members of the House of Lords who have criminal convictions.

sal
2nd January 2007, 13:20
Same they don't do the same in relation to members of the House of Lords who have criminal convictions.

Now that's wishful thinking...

Hazell B
2nd January 2007, 17:10
Hasn't it happened already? I'm sure a Sir or two have been de-Sir-ed (couldn't think of another way to put that :p : ) but might be mistaken.

Lester Piggott was a Sir, wasn't he?

oily oaf
2nd January 2007, 17:54
Hasn't it happened already? I'm sure a Sir or two have been de-Sir-ed (couldn't think of another way to put that :p : ) but might be mistaken.

Lester Piggott was a Sir, wasn't he?

Cue scene in Spitting Image portraying the errant tax dodging jockey languishing in his prison cell while a Peter O Sullivan sound-a-like bawls excitedly
"He's on the inside, he's on the inside, Lester's on the inside"

Prince Naseem? Couldn't happen to a more puffed up, conceited little twat.
This bloke is the complete antithesis of most fighters who are by and large an amiable and humble bunch of characters viz a vis Duke McKenzie, Glen McCory, Amir Khan etc.

Hazell B
2nd January 2007, 18:00
Don't be so sure about Amir Khan, he's rumoured to be on the same path as Hamed. His big talk then poor showing on Superstars didn't help his image much, either :p :

BDunnell
2nd January 2007, 18:29

That's different to losing a peerage, if that's what you're referring back to.

Gannex
2nd January 2007, 20:31
The text-book case for this was Lord Kagan. He first became a Knight and later received a peerage. Later still he received a ten-month prison sentence for theft and false accounting. The Queen revoked his knighthood, but had no power to revoke his peerage; that could be done only by the Lords themselves, and their lordships declined to do it. So Lord Kagan remained a member of the House of Lords after being released from prison, and was active in the House until his death in 1995.

Lord Lucan was another criminal member of the House of Lords. He was generally believed to have been a murderer. He disappeared into hiding, so no one thought it necessary to move that his peerage be revoked.

BDunnell
2nd January 2007, 20:35
The text-book case for this was Lord Kagan. He first became a Knight and later received a peerage. Later still he received a ten-month prison sentence for theft and false accounting. The Queen revoked his knighthood, but had no power to revoke his peerage; that could be done only by the Lords themselves, and their lordships declined to do it. So Lord Kagan remained a member of the House of Lords after being released from prison, and was active in the House until his death in 1995.

Lord Lucan was another criminal member of the House of Lords. He was generally believed to have been a murderer. He disappeared into hiding, so no one thought it necessary to move that his peerage be revoked.

I was thinking, as I always do, of Baron Archer of Weston-super-Mare of Mark in the County of Somerset, to give him his full title, but Joseph Kagan also fits the bill well. There has to be one rule for both Houses of Parliament.

Drew
2nd January 2007, 20:41
I was thinking, as I always do, of Baron Archer of Weston-super-Mare of Mark in the County of Somerset, to give him his full title, but Joseph Kagan also fits the bill well. There has to be one rule for both Houses of Parliament.

Ah, that wonderful ex-politician, he's on the tele now :confused:

Millionaire giveaway or something on ITV

Gannex
2nd January 2007, 20:41
I'm not sure on this, BDunnell, but I think there IS one rule for both Houses of Parliament. In both cases, the Queen does not have the power to revoke membership; only the House itself can do that.

BDunnell
3rd January 2007, 09:23
I'm not sure on this, BDunnell, but I think there IS one rule for both Houses of Parliament. In both cases, the Queen does not have the power to revoke membership; only the House itself can do that.

As far as I'm aware, the rules are different, because if an MP gets a criminal conviction he/she is automatically excluded from the House. This is why there have been various campaigns to change the rules in relation to the Lords, in order to make things uniform. The Government once said it was going to look at this, and then decided against.

oily oaf
3rd January 2007, 11:25
Oddly enough I stumbled across disgraced peer Jeffrey Archer on New Years Day as I was taking a reviving stroll across Hampstead Heath.
He was hiding in a bush with his trousers down and appeared to be interfering most vigorously with his bodily particles.
When I challenged the sweating wearer of the ermine as to the reason for his behaviour he immediately put my mind at ease by pointing out that he was merely looking for members of the Liberal Party and some badgers.
Phew!

Yours faithfully
Bill Permapissed
Deputy Editor
News Of The World

Dave B
3rd January 2007, 16:18
I'm very pleased about this. Not only did the arrogant idiot almost kill a man, he wrote off a McLaren Merc in the process.

An honour comes with a certain amount of responsibilty. We don't expect our great and good to behave like saints 24/7, but to flee the scene of a near-fatal accident is the behaviour of a lowlife.

Archer, athough he never physically hurt anybody, is in some ways worse as he deliberately set out to commit a crime. While Hamed may argue (unconvincingly) that his actions were spur-of-the-moment, Archer's perjury was premeditated and intentional.

On the face of it, it does look somewhat hypocritical that the lord gets to keep his title while the boxer loses his.

viper_man
4th January 2007, 04:04
Its good that he has been stripped of his honour, but MBEs and OBEs and the like are being given out willy nilly these days so its not surprising someones ended up having their title taken away, and itll happen again and again.

But what I want to know is this, is there and MBE up for grabs now? And how much would it set me back?