PDA

View Full Version : Newey and the Red Bull Reliability

OmarF1
9th October 2007, 15:49
Hello all, Have you noticed that in past years, the McLaren suffered a lot of reliability issues in Adrian Newey's designed cars?, specially in the Hydraulics and lack of proper refrigeration of the car that ocassionally caused some kabooms on the engine.

This year one of the less reliable cars on the grid happens to be the Red Bulls and Toro Rossos, designed by Adrian Newey, same Hydraulic failures and some other gremlins, coincidence?

I know Newey does not make the car all by himself but...if true Kimi and Webber should not very thankful to Adrian :D

Cheers!!

BDunnell
9th October 2007, 15:55
I seem to recall this being brought up on a thread some time ago, and the comment being made that his designs have often proved difficult to engineer for various reasons. I'm sure others can fill us in in more detail.

Sleeper
9th October 2007, 19:10
Its well known that Newey packages his cars up very tightly, but he doesnt design parts like the seamless shift 'box and hydraulics. My guess would be that it takes time for the engineers to design parts that are going to be so far on the limit to be reliable. Also, remember that a number of teams took a while to get their seamless shift system to be fully reliable as well.

wedge
10th October 2007, 00:57
Hydraulics/gearbox issues - its been going on all season. Basically they've been struggling to get the ECU in-sync with the hydraulics.

RBR tested the McLaren ECU in preparation for next year and couldn't get that to work properly neither, but its been the same with other teams as well.