PDA

View Full Version : Rookies performing amazingly

Mintexmemory
6th October 2007, 19:39
While LH has done amazing things this year he didn't emulate Giancarlo Baghetti who won his first ever GP 1961,France
Anyone else want to make nominations for top 10 Formula 1 rookies of all time - please justify what makes them so

tinchote
6th October 2007, 19:43
The first two that come to my mind are Jacquess Villeneuve and Carlos Reutemann. Both got pole position on their first ever F1 race.

BeansBeansBeans
6th October 2007, 19:53
Michael Schumacher made the most memorable debut I can recall in my lifetime, even though he only managed a few hundred yards in the race before his clutch failed.

He went from being a relatively unknown sportscar racer to one of the most sought-after Grand Prix drivers in the world, in the space of one qualifying session.

BDunnell
6th October 2007, 20:23
Baghetti was quite astonishing, and I doubt whether anyone will ever emulate his achievement. He also won two non-championship F1 races before his Reims victory. When he retired from the British GP, the commentator exclaimed: 'At last, Baghetti is beaten!'

ShiftingGears
6th October 2007, 23:38
Jackie Stewart - also won a race in his debut season
Andretti got pole on his first ever F1 race

Mintexmemory
8th October 2007, 09:45
Jackie Stewart - also won a race in his debut season
Andretti got pole on his first ever F1 race

Yep, JYS won the Italian GP and was 3rd WDC in his rookie year, having only been racing for 2-3 years before that.

As for Andretti being truly regarded as a 'rookie',mmm surely he was a mature transferee from USAC and NASCAR, not to forget WC sportscar events ;)