PDA

View Full Version : Lewis wants his trophies...

wmcot
5th October 2007, 08:08
I just read this on GPupdate:

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2007/10/04/hamilton-asks-mclaren-to-give-him-trophies/

I can't say that I blame him. Shouldn't the team keep the constructors' trophies and give the drivers' trophies to the drivers? Seems reasonable to me! Maybe RD feels that LH is his "property" since he funded him for all those years and the trophies should be given to McLaren as payback?

(BTW - did McLaren lose all the WCC trophies the won this year?)

ArrowsFA1
5th October 2007, 08:36
Maybe RD feels that LH is his "property" since he funded him for all those years and the trophies should be given to McLaren as payback?
The fact is that McLaren have had this in their driver contracts for many years. The trophies won by their drivers are kept by the team. IIRC Alain Prost, after he had won the Italian GP in 1989 (his last win for McLaren), dropped his trophy into the crowd. Maybe the fact he was joining Ferrari had something to do with the gesture, but certainly Ron was not best pleased!

ioan
5th October 2007, 08:39
Ron is weird, very weird!
Maybe MS didn't go to McLaren because he wanted his trophies for himself? :p :

ioan
5th October 2007, 08:40
The fact is that McLaren have had this in their driver contracts for many years. The trophies won by their drivers are kept by the team. IIRC Alain Prost, after he had won the Italian GP in 1989 (his last win for McLaren), dropped his trophy into the crowd. Maybe the fact he was joining Ferrari had something to do with the gesture, but certainly Ron was not best pleased!

Well done Alain!

ArrowsFA1
5th October 2007, 11:06
I can't say that I blame him. Shouldn't the team keep the constructors' trophies and give the drivers' trophies to the drivers? Seems reasonable to me!
Sounds reasonable to me too :cool: but as the boss of McLaren since 1981 Ron is entitled to include such a clause in his drivers' contracts. After all, if a driver doesn't like it then he doesn't have to sign for McLaren!

Incidentally, I read Jo Ramirez's autobiography recently, and in it he mentions that fact that Senna asked him to have copies made of his race winning trophies. What Ramirez doesn't say is whether the copy went to Senna or McLaren :p

555-04Q2
5th October 2007, 11:17
The only way to fill their trophy cabinet is to steal the drivers trophies, contract or no contract. The driver should get the trophy and the team a copy if they need them that bad.

CarlMetro
5th October 2007, 12:46
I don't see what the issue is. If Lewis didn't understand his contract before signing it then he should have got someone to explain it. If he understood it but didn't like it then he should have negotiated the clause before signing it. It would be like Kimi saying that he wants his Ferrari to be yellow rather than red because he prefers it in that colour.

MacLaren keep the driver trophies in the same way they like to keep all their cars.

F1MAN2007
5th October 2007, 13:04
I don't see what the issue is. If Lewis didn't understand his contract before signing it then he should have got someone to explain it. If he understood it but didn't like it then he should have negotiated the clause before signing it. It would be like Kimi saying that he wants his Ferrari to be yellow rather than red because he prefers it in that colour.

MacLaren keep the driver trophies in the same way they like to keep all their cars.

:up: Well said man.

F1MAN2007
5th October 2007, 13:08
The Kid signed the contract knowing that there is a clause saying that all trophies will be kept by his team. So, why is he moaning now?! It can't suprise me, always loaded kids are like that!

Ranger
5th October 2007, 13:21
If I was making those acheivements in 5 years time, I'd want my trophies too! Any 22-year-old still likes to boost their ego and likes to keep material rewards as well.

But still. It was in the contract, and I don't see why he should be excused from a system that didn't excuse Senna, Prost, Lauda, Hakkinen etc for their acheivements.

Rusty Spanner
5th October 2007, 13:26
Its a team sport. Drivers don't win trophies alone so it isn't too unreasonable for the trophy to be kept by the team. Whilst there is a constructors trophy for winning there isn't one for 2nd and 3rd which is equally as much a team achievement.

F1MAN2007
5th October 2007, 13:52
......But still. It was in the contract, and I don't see why he should be excused from a system that didn't excuse Senna, Prost, Lauda, Hakkinen etc for their acheivements.

Because he is Mclaren's clone and feels superior than anyone in the team. And the team Principal is his second daddy.

ioan
5th October 2007, 16:26
Ron is due a check-up from neck upwards.
He should give Hamilton his trophies given that they have as much value as those that McLaren has to return to the FIA after they were stripped of all their points for the season.

markabilly
5th October 2007, 16:42
All the golden boy need say is to repeat what he said before about the stupidity of anyone daring to question what he wants or does:

If I've been in the wrong, I've been the first to put my hand up, or apologise at least, and I don't mind being given a penalty but there's been some really strange situations this year where I'm made to look the bad person.......

"It's just a shame for the sport and if this is the way it's going to keep going then it's probably not somewhere I really want to be."

and then remind RD, whose your daddy now?

Kevincal
5th October 2007, 17:05
I'd be happy to share my trophies with my team. This just makes Lewis look even more childish...

truefan72
5th October 2007, 17:58
either LH or RD should have copies made, problem solved

wmcot
6th October 2007, 22:26

I agree that Lewis read this when he signed the contract, but I'm not sure he realized the full impact. I know that McLaren keep their cars - they built them. They didn't make the trophies! Perhaps, as has been mentioned, they should have copies made for McLaren and give the original to the drivers.

Just another quirk in Ron Dennis's character???

Ari
7th October 2007, 02:59
Makes perfect sense to me that McLaren keep the prize. I mean they did just as more, if not more, to win them!

Hell.... I reckon they should even break off a chunk for their good mate Bernie! ;)