PDA

View Full Version : How come Spyker don't have Audi engines?

FIA
2nd October 2007, 19:50
How come Spyker don't have Audi engines? Because most of there road cars do, and it would make them a decent team.

Sleeper
2nd October 2007, 19:53
Because there are no Audi F1 engines and some of their road cars apparantley have Ferrari engines, so the F1 team does.

FIA
2nd October 2007, 20:14
It would be cool if there was an Audi F1 engine for Spyker, though.

Mihai
2nd October 2007, 21:52
Maybe they'll fit in one in China for some loonatic fan... :D

nigelred5
2nd October 2007, 22:37
Because Porsche/VW/Audi is smart and has avoided the money pit that is F1 and concentrates on series where their cars actually compete, not their $$. The Porsche family has managed to remain profitable and keep VW that way as well without F1.

wmcot
2nd October 2007, 22:53
Maybe they'll modify the R10 diesel to comply with F1 specs! ;)

Brown, Jon Brow
2nd October 2007, 23:07
Most of the costs for F1 teams are with the engines and I doubt that they (Audi)would gain any marketing advantage by helping Spyker . Audi would have there own team before supplying engines to a backmarkers.

ShiftingGears
3rd October 2007, 01:22
Just because its a well known car company doesn't mean it will succeed with their engines. Look at Lamborghini. So to answer your question, I think Audi have judged that they'll be fien without F1.

I don't even know if they'd comply within the regulations however - since there was an engine freeze this time last year, this can put Audi at an advantage as they can modify their engine block heavily, before entering it.

ioan
3rd October 2007, 09:00
How come Spyker don't have Audi engines? Because most of there road cars do, and it would make them a decent team.

I fail to see how is that running with Audi engines would make them better than they are using Ferrari engines!

jens
3rd October 2007, 12:21
I fail to see how is that running with Audi engines would make them better than they are using Ferrari engines!

Probably it is meant that Audi would give Spyker a so-called factory support and therefore Spyker would have finances to challenge top positions. At the moment they just have to buy the engine and their budget is about just over 100 Million $ - clearly too small to become a serious threat for top teams.

ShiftingGears
3rd October 2007, 12:52
Probably it is meant that Audi would give Spyker a so-called factory support and therefore Spyker would have finances to challenge top positions. At the moment they just have to buy the engine and their budget is about just over 100 Million $ - clearly too small to become a serious threat for top teams.

Also they can work with the engine supplier as to how to build the chassis to get most out of the engine. Factory teams supplying rivals with a customer engine have no business helping them.

SGWilko
3rd October 2007, 15:24
Because Porsche/VW/Audi is smart and has avoided the money pit that is F1 and concentrates on series where their cars actually compete, not their $$. The Porsche family has managed to remain profitable and keep VW that way as well without F1.Didn't Porsche supply TAG branded engines to McLaren in the 80's. Yes, 87 definately, I remember Prost got whipped by mansell and piquet.

The engine was heavy and less than reliable.....

3rd October 2007, 15:32
Didn't Porsche supply TAG branded engines to McLaren in the 80's. Yes, 87 definately, I remember Prost got whipped by mansell and piquet.

The engine was heavy and less than reliable.....

Heavy and unreliable?

It won the titles in 84, 85 & 86.

3rd October 2007, 15:33
The heavy unreliable Porsche engne was in 1991, in the back of a Footwork.

That was ****e.

SGWilko
3rd October 2007, 15:38
The heavy unreliable Porsche engne was in 1991, in the back of a Footwork.

That was ****e.

Ah yes, Derek Warwick and Eddie Cheever wasn't it?

Heavy and unreliable?

It won the titles in 84, 85 & 86.

Oops, OK, quite heavy, but more relaible than the others? :p :

3rd October 2007, 15:42
Ah yes, Derek Warwick and Eddie Cheever wasn't it?

Alboreto, Johansson and Caffi.

But had it been driven by a genetic cloning experiment using the gene pool of Senna, Schumi, Fangio and Prost it still would have been crap.

If my memory is correct, it was a V12 3 lite, which was basically two TAG 1.5 turbo units stuck end to end in a new block with the turbo taken off.

It was a Footwork paid for venture, and as such not a full works Porsche effort and didn't really have a great deal of effort and time spent on it by Weissach.

SGWilko
3rd October 2007, 15:45
Alboreto, Johansson and Caffi.

But had it been driven by a genetic cloning experiment using the gene pool of Senna, Schumi, Fangio and Prost it still would have been crap.

No wonder I don't win the pub quizzes any more......... :rolleyes:

nigelred5
5th October 2007, 00:18
Case in point! The Porsche family isn't stupid and thus Audi knows well the financial demands of competing in F1. Porsche/Audi's strength has always been turbocharged engines. I recall more than one member of the clan stating they have no desire to ever compete in F1 again. I think Toyota has done more harm than good to their reputation by spending enormous amounts of money only to fail in F1.