PDA

View Full Version : My First Ever Gp

millencolin
2nd October 2007, 05:51
I just got back today from tokyo. Fuji was my first ever gp and wow was i impressed.

First off, the facility is just impressive. better than anything i have ever been too, but then again its not hard to beat queensland raceway and a street circuit at surfers paradise.

But accessing the track can be a bit of a pain... and exiting it was worse. considering one of the main bus paths out was closed on saturday due to a landslide of all things. standing around in a field waiting for a bus for 3.5 hours aint my cup of tea.

the cars were just quick. i was sitting just after the first corner where i had a good view of the front straight and the run down to the third corner... and those cars pull up quick. i know everyone raves on about the brakes but DAMN!!!

as for the race itself... well it was a rollercoaster of emotions. At first i was sitting there in the freezing pouring rain thinking 'bollocks, ive travelled all this way for the race not to happen'... then the safety car pulls in and BAM!!! off we go. Saw some bingles at the first corner, the rollercoaster of emotions went up up and up when Mark Webber was in the lead!!! i was waving my aussie flag high then. then when i saw vettel take out webber on the big screen, my feelings changed from pride and excitement to pure rage!!!! im still angry now! dont mention the name 'Vettel' near me... and next year Toro Rosso is going to be a team that i wont be able to even look at with Vettel and Bourdais (My biff with bourdais... Surfers Paradise 06.... youll see why)

but overall... it was a fantastic experience. i came to japan, i saw, my driver did very well and is due for a win anytime soon... and i wana go back right now

as for tokyo itself.... its an urban jungle. its a city that just doesnt stop!!! its endless! the whole population of my country enclosed within a single city, its something my head had trouble to get around... it was a swarm of people... very polite and well mannered people who go out of their way to make outsiders feel welcomed. I highly recommend a trip to tokyo.

ShiftingGears
2nd October 2007, 06:03
Glad you enjoyed it. Are your ears still ringing? :p :

Kevincal
2nd October 2007, 07:06
Sounds like a very cool trip. A shame about Webber. Him and Kimi have the worst luck...

millencolin
2nd October 2007, 07:17
Glad you enjoyed it. Are your ears still ringing? :p :

lol nah... the amount of times ive damanged my hearing attending live rock gigs, motorsport doesnt hurt my ears that much. wanna make yours ears ring proof for a Grand Prix? attend a dropkick murphys concert and stand right near the 12ft speakers

ShiftingGears
2nd October 2007, 08:17
lol nah... the amount of times ive damanged my hearing attending live rock gigs, motorsport doesnt hurt my ears that much. wanna make yours ears ring proof for a Grand Prix? attend a dropkick murphys concert and stand right near the 12ft speakers

Haha, I was at the front for a Slayer and Mastodon gig, and I'm sure that helped a lot when I went to Albert Park! :D

Edit: Also I'm sure it was the biggest sausage-fest ever to assemble in Sydney. :s

wedge
2nd October 2007, 14:09
Glad you enjoyed yourself, millencolin.

I've backpacked across Japan for a few months. I only made it as far as the Honda museum at Twin Ring Motegi. :(

What I appreciate about Fuji from a fan's perspective is that you can hop onto a bullet train and get a bus straight to Fuji Speedway, whereas for Suzuka you have to jump onto various trains and get the bus

tinchote
2nd October 2007, 14:20
Neat! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

nigelred5
2nd October 2007, 23:07
Very cool, don't forget to post a few pictures.

I know what you mean about seeing the brakes first hand. WOW is right.! My first visit to Indy in 00, I was just downright speechless at the braking the first chance we got to see them braking for turn 8. You can probably get within 3-4 metres, maybe even closer to the fence catch fence as they first hit the brakes and it is just amazing to see first hand.

millencolin
3rd October 2007, 09:52
What I appreciate about Fuji from a fan's perspective is that you can hop onto a bullet train and get a bus straight to Fuji Speedway, whereas for Suzuka you have to jump onto various trains and get the bus

thats true but it still takes an eternity to get to the track. There are bugger all highways in Japan (from what i saw)... the buss from the Bullet Train to the track took over an hour... for a journey that is less than 20kms long. its all two lane streets with traffic lights every 50metres as its such a built up country. It wasn't traffic that was the problem (not many cars on the road when you go to the track early), but the bloody traffic lights and extremely narrow streets. So although you can hop on a bus and train to the track, dont think the trip will be quicker than mark webbers pace during the race...

But those Bullet Trains rock, you look out the window and think 'wow im going fast, this is what 250kmh feels like', definately if you get the 'first class' tickets... which just mean you get a reserved seat that is wider.... but its so worth it after a long race, not having to rush for a seat.