PDA

View Full Version : Teams they entered F1, but never got going?

FIA
23rd September 2007, 20:01
Teams they entered F1, but never got going? Does anyone have any info on these teams. I heard of DAMS (1995), FIRST (1989), Mastercard Lola (1997) & Postlewaite Honda (2000). Can someone tell info on thses or any others.

Thanks.

RaikkonenRules
23rd September 2007, 20:11
This should really be in the nostalgia section ;)

Phoenix in 2002 tried to enter with the old Prost team equipment.

BeansBeansBeans
23rd September 2007, 20:32
http://www.f1rejects.com has plenty of info on this sort of thing.

Good luck.

Brown, Jon Brow
23rd September 2007, 20:37
Mastercard Lola entered the first round but the car was so bad they didn't qualify. Mastercard withdrew the sponsorship and the team collapsed.

wedge
24th September 2007, 01:15
I found a book the other day in Borders called something along the lines of 'F1 cars that were never raced' - its a hardback book with nice photos.

The Postlewaite-Dallara/Honda RA99 - extensively tested in Japan and Europe by Jos Verstappen who set some good lap times. Sadly Harvey Postlewaite died (RIP - the guy's a legend) of a heart attack during one of the tests and the chassis project was shelved.

Cozzie
24th September 2007, 06:51
Le Mans entrant Dome also attempted to get an F1 team up and running around the 1995-1996 period I believe.

inimitablestoo
24th September 2007, 20:00
DAMS and Dome did actually build cars, but never raced them. Dome did bring the car to the Autosport Show some years later, a rare public outing for an F1 car that never actually entered a Grand Prix. Their plans (along with the Pacific Grand Prix of that year) were thrown into disarray by the Kobe earthquake in 1995, which seriously damaged (destroyed?) a factory of theirs, and forced them to abandon plans to defend their Japanese F3000 title with their own car as well, let alone try F1.

As well as the late '90s Honda effort the company did build a machine in 1994 that tested briefly with Satoru Nakajima, but that never seemed to be a serious effort :s

wmcot
25th September 2007, 08:50
I found a book the other day in Borders called something along the lines of 'F1 cars that were never raced' - its a hardback book with nice photos.

The Postlewaite-Dallara/Honda RA99 - extensively tested in Japan and Europe by Jos Verstappen who set some good lap times. Sadly Harvey Postlewaite died (RIP - the guy's a legend) of a heart attack during one of the tests and the chassis project was shelved.

Was that book "Unraced..." by S.S. Collins? It's a pretty interesting book, but I wish it had gone back farther into other teams from older seasons.

ShiftingGears
25th September 2007, 10:14
This a pretty solid and fairly well sorted list.

http://www.gpracing.net192.com/teams.cfm

ClarkFan
25th September 2007, 16:39
Teams they entered F1, but never got going? Does anyone have any info on these teams. I heard of DAMS (1995), FIRST (1989), Mastercard Lola (1997) & Postlewaite Honda (2000). Can someone tell info on thses or any others.

Thanks.

The Postlethwaite-led effort for Honda was an explatoratory project that produced a prototype car that was tested in early 1999. The chassis was constructed by Dallara. Honda's idea was to test the prototype through 1999 and enter a full team in 2000. The prototype was reasonably quick and was quicker in some tests that BAR and Jordan, driven by Jos Vercrashen. But Postlethwaite died suddenly of a heart attack and Honda abandoned the effort, deciding instead to provide engines to BAR for 2000.

Another team that actually made a race or two in 1959 was Aston Martin. They had built a state-of-the-art car for the F1 world of 1958 - front engined, but 1959 was the year mid-engine Coopers took over F1 and the Aston couldn't compete.

ClarkFan