PDA

View Full Version : IPhone

Pawprint
23rd September 2007, 12:06
Anyone got an iphone? Is it worth it? And is there anyone in the UK who is intent on getting one knowing if there is a payg option?

Pawprint

Erki
23rd September 2007, 12:21
I don't think so. It's a phone like them all, isn't it? :\

Pawprint
23rd September 2007, 12:47
Dont think so to which bit?

Mark
23rd September 2007, 14:36
All of it. Apart from a fancy interface it is lacking over the competition in almost every area.

Daniel
23rd September 2007, 14:43
Do you know how much an iPhone will cost on PAYG????????

Given the fact that you can't install 3rd party apps, change the battery and it doesn't even have 3g it's really not a full featured phone at all.

Pawprint
23rd September 2007, 16:18
Can you explain that in english? :)

janneppi
23rd September 2007, 16:42
It's an overprized product if you compare it to phones with the same technology, unless you're willing to pay 200Eur for the touch screen. :)

Daniel
23rd September 2007, 16:42
Can you explain that in english? :)
It's a toy. It's like paying Mercedes Benz money and getting a Kia. Your money though :laugh:

Erki
23rd September 2007, 16:44
@Baniel: unchangeable battery is pretty dumb, I agree, but 3rd party apps and 3g would make something more like an overfeatured phone, dontcha think? ;)

Daniel
23rd September 2007, 16:57
Not really. If you're wanting to access the internet while away from home EDGE is crap and doesn't have much coverage and Wireless LAN has even less coverage. So at the end of the day you have a phone with an MP3 player attached :)

Dave B
23rd September 2007, 16:58
If you wanted it on PAYG the only current way is to buy one from a dodgy Far-East site and painstakingly unlock it.

Or, buy a Nokia N95 which apart from not having a touch-screen is a far better phone in every single respect, and on a half-decent contract won't even cost you anything.

The iPhone is for fashion victims, and a classic case of style over substance.

Daniel
23rd September 2007, 17:09
If you wanted it on PAYG the only current way is to buy one from a dodgy Far-East site and painstakingly unlock it.

Or, buy a Nokia N95 which apart from not having a touch-screen is a far better phone in every single respect, and on a half-decent contract won't even cost you anything.

The iPhone is for fashion victims, and a classic case of style over substance.
There is a new N95 coming out that can take a bigger memory card and has a bigger screen. As an N95 owner I can't reccomend it highly enough. Except for the fact that you won't get asked by every person you pass "Is that an iPhone" but perhaps that's not a bad thing ;)

Storm
23rd September 2007, 17:16
total waste of money I would say

janneppi
23rd September 2007, 17:28
N95 is a bit flimsy though, my workmate has one and the plastic rails on the sliding screen have given in a bit, no such problems yet with my Nokia E65, the business phone for women . :D

Daniel
23rd September 2007, 18:32
N95 is a bit flimsy though, my workmate has one and the plastic rails on the sliding screen have given in a bit, no such problems yet with my Nokia E65, the business phone for women men. :D
I got a clear lexan cover for mine :D Which was lucky because someone dropped my phone which only broke the cover at least :)

CCFanatic
23rd September 2007, 22:06
Yes. Yes. Don't know.

Daniel
25th September 2007, 09:18
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=42592

Don't think about unlocking YOUR phone because Apple will **** you over.

Mark
25th September 2007, 09:45
I snipped the unnecessary parts of your post.

Apple will **** you over.

Flat.tyres
25th September 2007, 10:26
I snipped the unnecessary parts of your post.

Yep, there should be no need for bad language on a forum ;)

I wouldn't consider a phone that isn't open for any network but from what I've seen about the iPhone, it's just a wanna have for the cliche set.

Dave B
25th September 2007, 10:30
Funny old world isn't it? If it were another company (say, ooooh, Microsoft) behaving like this, there'd be an uproar about a monopolistic company strangling the market with their bullying tactics.

Jobs does it, and the world thinks he's a saviour because - look! - the phone's got a touch screen like many LGs and Samsungs.

Daniel
25th September 2007, 10:32
Yep, there should be no need for bad language on a forum ;)

I wouldn't consider a phone that isn't open for any network but from what I've seen about the iPhone, it's just a wanna have for the cliche set.
It's a pre-requisite for the Apple cult FT :) iPhone in one hand and Starbucks capucccino in the other hand :) Problem is you can't actually type a text while you're sipping your 'cino but at least you look stylish :laugh:

Mark
25th September 2007, 10:33
Have you seen how much it costs? For the life of the contract (18 months) you will pay over £900. For that you can get an N95 8GB, which lacks the touch screen but other than that has way more features.

Plus.. a decently specced laptop or desktop PC, and still have enough change for a night out on the town :crazy: :p

Flat.tyres
25th September 2007, 10:36
Funny old world isn't it? If it were another company (say, ooooh, Microsoft) behaving like this, there'd be an uproar about a monopolistic company strangling the market with their bullying tactics.

Jobs does it, and the world thinks he's a saviour because - look! - the phone's got a touch screen like many LGs and Samsungs.

:laugh:

Good point. Never really understood the apple hype. Yep, I got an iPod which I like but even that is a con because of the way it encodes "my" music :(

Yet the EU fine Microsoft and force them to give up their IP because it's too popular?

Daniel
25th September 2007, 10:37

Yes but it's cool to support Apple Dave! Get with the times.

In other news the EU wants to single handedly pee off every person in the EU who wants to go out and just buy a PC that works without them having to faff about with it.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-Windows-Will-Be-Unbundled-66490.shtml

Daniel
25th September 2007, 10:39

Dave.I just had a thought. How many people (junior real estate agents mainly) who will have a Mini and an iPhone? ;)

Dave B
25th September 2007, 11:10
And an oversized knot in their tie?

Dave B
25th September 2007, 11:14
In other news the EU wants to single handedly pee off every person in the EU who wants to go out and just buy a PC that works without them having to faff about with it.

That already happens, dictated by the market rather than politicians. You can buy a PC with various flavours of Linux, or no OS whatsoever, should you feel the urge.

It's just very uncommon, because there's so little call for it.

Daniel
25th September 2007, 11:29
Exactly. Because most people who want a Linux flavoured PC don't want to buy a Dell the one company I worked for that used Linux flavoured PC's built their own PC's inhouse anyway. Like you say there's little commercial reason for it which is why it doesn't happen on a large scale.

Mark
25th September 2007, 11:38
If only I could buy a PC without an OS, that would save me some money that!

janneppi
25th September 2007, 11:41

Aren't you doing exactly that, complaining about the iphone? ;)

janneppi
25th September 2007, 11:45
Yes but it's cool to support Apple Dave! Get with the times.

You're late again Daniel, complaining about Apple and Google is the hip and trendy thing to do. :D

Daniel
25th September 2007, 11:46
If only I could buy a PC without an OS, that would save me some money that!
I could build you one without an OS and give you a "legal" copy of XP :-P

Daniel
25th September 2007, 11:47
You're late again Daniel, complaining about Apple and Google is the hip and trendy thing to do. :D
Then I'm hip and trendy :D Just before I went to Finland I posted a Google-hate thread and every second post of mine is a dig at Apple so I must be under-trendy ;)

Mark
25th September 2007, 11:51
I could build you one without an OS and give you a "legal" copy of XP :-P

I can get a copy of Windows Vista Business for free, and whatsmore, totally legally :D .

Can you beat £250 including delivery? :p

janneppi
25th September 2007, 11:51
Really? I didn't notice them. ;)

Daniel
25th September 2007, 12:03
I can get a copy of Windows Vista Business for free, and whatsmore, totally legally :D .

Can you beat £250 including delivery? :p
I consider you too much of a friend to build you a PC that cheaply ;) Just like Pino wouldn't make you a pizza with crappy ingredients ;)

Drew
26th September 2007, 01:05
Hang on, the battery isn't rechargeable. Does that mean you have to buy new batteries?!

janneppi
26th September 2007, 06:59
No, it means you have to ship it to somewhere far away so apple can change the battery.

J4MIE
26th September 2007, 12:29
I think the interface looks nice, but as it is something to do with apple I have no interest whatsoever.

And why restrict it to O2? :s

Daniel
26th September 2007, 12:32
I think the interface looks nice, but as it is something to do with apple I have no interest whatsoever.

And why restrict it to O2? :s
Because it makes it exclusive :) Apple have been known to clamp down on retailers getting into price wars over things like iPod's as this makes them seem "cheap" and not exclusive.

Drew
26th September 2007, 13:33
No, it means you have to ship it to somewhere far away so apple can change the battery.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

$79 for the battery and $7 for the shipping.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Daniel
26th September 2007, 13:34
New battery for my N95 is something like 20 pounds.....

Dave B
26th September 2007, 14:13
Typing "N95 battery" into Google brings them up for under a tenner - but irrespective of the price the point is that if you're travelling you can keep a spare one with you. Try changing your iPhone battery on a transatlantic flight and see where you get!

Daniel
26th September 2007, 14:28
Typing "N95 battery" into Google brings them up for under a tenner - but irrespective of the price the point is that if you're travelling you can keep a spare one with you. Try changing your iPhone battery on a transatlantic flight and see where you get!
Well if it's a standard dock connector on it you should be able to power it from an external pack but it really is a bulky and inconvenient solution to a problem which need not exist.

janneppi
26th September 2007, 16:39
N95's eat batteries like fat men eat butter, in fact all Nokia S60's do, I'm lucky to get three days without recharging the damn thing, and that's only if I don't use any of the functions on it.
No wonder Nokia has introduced a portable battery recharger, which of course is just a big, very expensive battery that it self needs to be recharged. :D

Daniel
26th September 2007, 16:43
So true :) If I use my phone all day for listening to the radio and listen to some MP3's, send some messages and have bluetooth switched on all day and pair with my car for the 30 minute drive home and the same to work then I'm on about 2 bars when I get home. Got a car charger now though. Pity my cigarette lighter doesn't work :p got to fix that now!

Christina
26th September 2007, 17:14
It's late at night and i cant be bothered reading through the entire thread, but i just thought i'd pop in to say that even though it hasnt been released in Australia yet, and wont be until next year I HATE THE IPHONE!!

I even hate the ipod touch and that gets relaesed at the end of the months.

I hate them not for what they are or what they do, but for the simple fact that the only phone calls i get at work are now "when is the iphone/ipod touch coming out?" "do you have any iphones/ipod touches in shock?" "what can you tell me about the iphone/ipod touch?" and "will you be getting it any sooner?".

For those not knowing what the Iphone or Ipod touch are, just a quick overview from someone who works in an apple premium store but doesnt really pay much attention: The iphone and ipod touch (iphone without the phone bit) both run on flash memory (hence only coming in 8GB or 16GB at the moment) and are basically a gadgeted up iPod. I have heard rumours that the iphone will be upgraded to 3G compatibility by the time it is released in australia next year for those of you complaining about that. and now i'm too tired to remember all the other stuff i wanted to say. blah. hate it.

Dave B
20th February 2008, 13:24
Ah you've got to laugh. One of the selling points of the iPhone was its ability to access media sites like YouTube on the move - and recently several GCap stations (http://www.musicradio.com/)have introduced an iPhone compatible stream on Edge.

All would be good if O2 hadn't changed their T&Cs on 1st Feb to include this:

(source) (http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=21725354&postcount=23) You may not use your SIM Card in any other device, or use your SIM Card or iPhone to allow the continuous streaming of any audio/video content, enable Voice over Internet (VoIP) P2P or file sharing

It's almost funny.

Daniel
20th February 2008, 13:31
Ah you've got to laugh. One of the selling points of the iPhone was its ability to access media sites like YouTube on the move - and recently several GCap stations (http://www.musicradio.com/)have introduced an iPhone compatible stream on Edge.

All would be good if O2 hadn't changed their T&Cs on 1st Feb to include this:

It's almost funny.
Coincidentally a freind from Australia is talking to me on MSN now about his iPhone and I mentioned that the on screen keyboard is pointlessly small (I went into an O2 store the other day and had a play with an iPhone) and he says it's not :mark:

MrJan
21st February 2008, 11:41
I just got a Nokia 3110. 50 quid and it phones peopls AND texts. As for MP3 player I, like many gadget morons after an iPhone, already have an iPod so what's the point? I fail to see the plus side of an iphone

Daniel
21st February 2008, 12:01
I just got a Nokia 3110. 50 quid and it phones peopls AND texts. As for MP3 player I, like many gadget morons after an iPhone, already have an iPod so what's the point? I fail to see the plus side of an iphone

You can't brag about a 3110 though now can you? :laugh:

That's what it's all about though. Being better than other people or something :mark:

janneppi
21st February 2008, 12:21
Mind you, that applies to everything sold using it's image, phones, cars, toilet cleaner, you name it. :)

But I do like the ability to listen mp3's on my phone, infact I'm doing it right now. and when I go home, I'll switch on the Wlan on it and check up my IRC channels (something operators don't like either as it takes away their precious data transfer business)

Daniel
21st February 2008, 12:43
Mind you, that applies to everything sold using it's image, phones, cars, toilet cleaner, you name it. :)

But I do like the ability to listen mp3's on my phone, infact I'm doing it right now. and when I go home, I'll switch on the Wlan on it and check up my IRC channels (something operators don't like either as it takes away their precious data transfer business)

I like the ability to listen to MP3's, FM radio also use wireless LAN on my phone too :) but I bought my N95 for it's abilities. Not the fact that everyone would know that I had an N95 and go "ooh you've got an N95" and so on. I was speaking to my friend in Australia and he was going on about the fact that he was the only person where he lives that had an iPhone :dozey: Like I care! What does it do that's so special that makes it worth so much more than a Nokia or Sony Ericsson? :mark:

janneppi
21st February 2008, 13:07
Actually from what I've read from a Finnish cellphone forum, iphone is ahead S60 Nokia's for example in usability, especially speed of using applications and music side. And this is the heart of Nokia country.

Is it worth it, IMO of cource not, but then again, I gringed at the cost of my E65 and think your N95 is horrendously overpriced.

maxu05
21st February 2008, 13:08

I agree with you mate. A phone is a phone. I have the same phone as you. I have dropped it many times, (once dropped it in the toilet), and it still works fine. Last year, I bought a flash Motorola phone, flip open, mp3,latesy specs etc, what a piece of rubbish. I threw it away, literally after 2 months and reverted back to my Nokia. It has never let me down. If i need to do anything other than talk on the phone, I have my computer to do all that.

Daniel
21st February 2008, 13:13
Actually from what I've read from a Finnish cellphone forum, iphone is ahead S60 Nokia's for example in usability, especially speed of using applications and music side. And this is the heart of Nokia country.

I guess people have different expectations. If I want fast internet and youtube and so on I go on my PC. If I want to browse the forum I sit in bed with my phone which is a lot cheaper than an iPhone. I guess I just don't see it as value for money and I own an iPod myself which was also grossly overpriced :)

MrJan
21st February 2008, 13:21
You can't brag about a 3110 though now can you? :laugh:

Yes I can.I can say "Ha I only paid fifty quid for this and it's just as capable of phoning and texting as an iPhone. My digital camera takes better photos and my iPod plays music exactly the same and all of it together is cheaper than an iPhone and I got to select which network I wanted to use and aren't locked into a contract. Oh and cos I bought simple stuff it doesn't go wrong all the time :p : " :D

I know someone with an iPhone and the charger doesn't work, the battery has problems and it keeps going back to apple. Who's bragging now :cheese:

maxu05
21st February 2008, 14:44
I agree with you Mr Yeo. My phone is for calling and sending text messages, my DVD is for watching DVDS, my digital camera is for taking photo's, my wife is for......, well, we won't go into that :laugh: Everything else, I use my PC.

Daniel
21st February 2008, 14:58
I agree with you Mr Yeo. My phone is for calling and sending text messages, my DVD is for watching DVDS, my digital camera is for taking photo's, my wife is for......, well, we won't go into that :laugh: Everything else, I use my PC.

Nah! You want to get rid of your PC with that nice big screen for something that has a 3.5" screen. Trust me *snigger*

airshifter
21st February 2008, 20:45
Yes I can.I can say "Ha I only paid fifty quid for this and it's just as capable of phoning and texting as an iPhone. My digital camera takes better photos and my iPod plays music exactly the same and all of it together is cheaper than an iPhone and I got to select which network I wanted to use and aren't locked into a contract. Oh and cos I bought simple stuff it doesn't go wrong all the time :p : " :D

I know someone with an iPhone and the charger doesn't work, the battery has problems and it keeps going back to apple. Who's bragging now :cheese:

Think of it as my "I" phone. I buy a phone for what "I" want.

If they were priced lower and I needed a phone, didn't have an MP3 player, and didn't have a camera I might consider them. But they aren't and I do have the other things that work better already.

We had a guy at work that always had to buy the newest and top of the line toys, and was always seeking some type of recognition for having them. One night he was going on and on about his new phone, and I couldn't take it any longer. I asked him if he would be as quick to compare bank balances or net worth with all the rest of us that had a phone with a model number we probably didn't even know.

He quickly exited inside to show some people his new phone. :laugh:

bowler
22nd February 2008, 07:47
If there was a "Cool Wall" for phones the iPhone would be high up on it.

I don't run one, but I know that they are cool enough to have lots of people who don't own one talking about them. That's cool!

Mark
22nd February 2008, 08:02
The iPhone has a nice interface, but that's it. Everything else about it looks pretty bad.

Having said that I think the N95 is also over hyped and over priced.

Daniel
22nd February 2008, 11:39
Think of it as my "I" phone. I buy a phone for what "I" want.

If they were priced lower and I needed a phone, didn't have an MP3 player, and didn't have a camera I might consider them. But they aren't and I do have the other things that work better already.

We had a guy at work that always had to buy the newest and top of the line toys, and was always seeking some type of recognition for having them. One night he was going on and on about his new phone, and I couldn't take it any longer. I asked him if he would be as quick to compare bank balances or net worth with all the rest of us that had a phone with a model number we probably didn't even know.

He quickly exited inside to show some people his new phone. :laugh:

I never quite understand this sort of thing. Far better to show people you new phone/camera/laptop/whatever if they show an interest.

I like my N95 btw and I didn't pay full whack for it :p

GridGirl
22nd February 2008, 17:21
I got my N95 for free on my contract. My only problem is now I can get another free phone I've been looking around yet there is nothing really better than the N95 out there. I might as well not bother getting my upgrade even if it is free.

Daniel
22nd February 2008, 17:42
I got my N95 for free on my contract. My only problem is now I can get another free phone I've been looking around yet there is nothing really better than the N95 out there. I might as well not bother getting my upgrade even if it is free.
Well you can do what a lot of people do and just sell the new phone on ebay :) Perhaps you can get an 8gb N95 :p