PDA

View Full Version : Five US citizens seek political assylum in Finland

Eki
19th September 2007, 10:40
I wonder if this will become a trend.

http://www.iltasanomat.fi/uutiset/kotimaa/uutinen.asp?id=1437905

Translation:

Finnish border officials were surprised when five US citizens seeked a political assylum last evening at the Helsinki-Vantaa airport.

The persons had arrived from within the Schengen area to Finland and told about their need for assulum to the Border Guard. After initial procedures, the Border Guard will hand over the actual assulum investigation to the the Directorate of Immigration.

As far anyone can remember, this is the first case that adult US citizens seek assylum in Finland, said Major Janne Piiroinen, the chief of the Border Inspection Department.

Initially it seems that the Americans belong to the same community. The reason for seeking assylum is not yet officially known, but it has nothing to do with protesting the Iraq War.

Hondo
19th September 2007, 15:49
I think a few have done the same in England too. I don't know about Finland, but if assylum is granted in England you can live pretty good on the dole for a long time. I would imagine Americans seeking assylum in heavily socialized countries are looking for just that, a comfortable life at government (your) expense.

Flat.tyres
19th September 2007, 15:54
Yep, but would you pick Finland?

My idea, jump on a plane to the UK for a Holiday and justpack one way.

Claim assylum so you get put up in a nice Hotel with good expenses paid by the DHSS.

When your holiday time is up, go back and admit it was a load of rubbish and get deported back to the US.

Fully paid holiday for just a 1 way airline ticket.

Next year, Australia or the rest of Europe.

Hondo
19th September 2007, 15:55
I remember seeing a tv show back in the late 70s, 60 Minutes I think, about retired Americans living in Poland, Romania, Hungary, and Mexico because in the USA their pensions barely got them by but by living abroad, between the social services and their pensions, they were able to enjoy quite affluent lifestyles.

Hondo
19th September 2007, 15:59
I guess you pick the country that offers you the best package. It could also be a bunch of welders trying to make big money in Finland without going through all the immigration hassle. It's not that easy to get into Finland from what I've read.

Daniel
19th September 2007, 16:02
Finland is lovely. If I wasn't happy with where I lived it would be number 1 on my list :)

Hondo
19th September 2007, 16:08
Confess to killing Jon Benet Ramsey before you leave the UK and you'll get your ticket home upgraded to 1st class.

Tomi
19th September 2007, 17:57
It would be terrible if you would have to leave your country to seek political assylum.

Drew
19th September 2007, 18:26
I'd like to heard more info about this, it seems a little strange.

Anyway it'll be hard enough for them, unless they sow Canadian flags on their backpacks.

Hondo
19th September 2007, 19:01
I'm unaware of any political party, religion, or race that we are currently hunting down and imprisoning or shooting at the moment so I'd be curious as to what their need for assylum would be based upon.

schmenke
19th September 2007, 19:16
Those 'mericans with maple leafs sewed on their backpacks better know how to play hockey... well ;) :p :

SOD
19th September 2007, 20:46
maybe it was the guy who was tasered or someone who was a victim of NSA spying.

The USA turned into the USSR in 15 years. imagine that. to match the rouble, the dollar is worthless (just ask Greenspin) .

Firstgear
20th September 2007, 18:34
From Fiero 5.7 "I'm unaware of any political party, religion,...."

Well maybe it does have to do with religion. It could be whats'iz-name along with four of his wives.

Eki
20th September 2007, 18:52
Firstgear,

It could be them, since they are said to be of the same family:

http://www.hs.fi/english/article/Five+US+citizens+seek+asylum+from+Finland+/1135230456002

Five U.S. citizens seek asylum from Finland

All in a day's work, they say, but it was not exactly a routine occurrence for the immigration officials at Helsinki-Vantaa International Airport on Tuesday evening, when a family of five United States citizens asked for asylum in Finland.

The group arrived in Finland from another Schengen country. This is unlikely to improve their prospects of being granted asylum, owing to the terms of the Dublin Convention, which generally assumes that someone seeking asylum is required to apply in the member-state first entered.

The authorities are not at liberty to divulge the reasons given for the application for asylum, but at least according to current information it is not believed to have any connection with the war in Iraq.

It is quite exceptional for US nationals to seek asylum in Finland.
According to the statistics of the Directorate of Immigration (UVI), before Tuesday's events just one American citizen had filed an asylum application here during the current decade. The Directorate will now consider the latest application.

The story was first reported on the online portal of Ilta-Sanomat on Wednesday.

Hawkmoon
21st September 2007, 01:43
Why do you need to flee a country that allows you to freely leave whenever you want? Doesn't make sense. Unless they are using "seeking asylum" as an excuse to make the Finnish authorities let them stay when they may not have been granted permission to emmigrate through normal channels.

rah
21st September 2007, 02:51
Lol, Maybe they need medical care.

Hondo
21st September 2007, 12:53
You allowed to have 4 wives in Finland, Eki?

Tomi
21st September 2007, 15:33
the assylum seekers are a family, man, woman, 3 children.

Hondo
22nd September 2007, 02:53
Maybe they just want to live in Finland, and if thats the case, it could be a good thing, especially if he gets a job.

RaceFanStan
22nd September 2007, 05:13
Let Finland keep the ingrates ! http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

Hondo
22nd September 2007, 20:27
Article says they'll get a decision in 3 to 6 months. Eki, Tomi, do you guys get to pay for their living expenses during this time or what?

Tomi
22nd September 2007, 21:13
I guess the expenses goes from tax money yes.

Hondo
22nd September 2007, 22:58
Do they get some sort of temporary papers that lets them go around and see the sights or are they in some kind of detention facility with restricted mobility?

A.F.F.
22nd September 2007, 23:24
Yes, they get temporary papers and plenty of cash to buy some stuff tax free plus some lounch coupons and blond virgins for the dad.

Mark in Oshawa
22nd September 2007, 23:35
People risk their lives to get to the US for asylum, yet these people jump off an airplane and apply. Ummm Asylum is for oppressed people from nations that truly are NOT free. This family just sounds like Joe Freeloader and his wife. You are NOT a refugee if no one is persecuting you unfairly, you are just looking to emigrate.

Tomi
22nd September 2007, 23:40
Assylum seekers are first taken to so called reception centres, im not sure how restricted the mobility is, but I think they can move around freely, but have to come back to the center for the night, but im not 100% sure that this is the case.

SOD
23rd September 2007, 00:57
"Yes, they get temporary papers and plenty of cash to buy some stuff tax free plus some lounch coupons and blond virgins for the dad."

:laugh:

Hondo
23rd September 2007, 02:37
Really, I'm just curious. Do that many people seek asylum in Finland? For all we know, these people are being honest and have made an effort to get to Finland specifically to seek asylum. If they receive it, they may make outstanding Finnish citizens someday. I would like to think they would grateful at the very least.

Hondo
23rd September 2007, 02:53
Just read up on some stuff. By Finnish legislature, if they are denied asylum the transportation provider that brought them into Finland has to carried them back to the country they tried to enter from.

Right now, you're being over run with Romanian-Gypsy asylum seekers because while your application is pending, meals and shelter are provided by the reception centers you referred to and each seeker is given 35-150 Euros a week. Under the current economic conditions, this is apparently more than they can make at home and their own governments have started cutting back on the welfare programs. One fifth of these people applying now have tried it before in Finland.

Kinda makes you feel used, doesn't it?

Eki
23rd September 2007, 08:33
The US maybe "free" compared to many countries, but there seems to be "brown shirt" vigilantes who want to restrict free speech:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,297708,00.html

Colorado State University Student Newspaper Under Fire for Bush Editorial

Saturday, September 22, 2007

The Colorado State University student newspaper is under fire after publishing a two-word editorial statement about President Bush.

The Rocky Mountain Collegian published the editorial on its Sept. 21 opinion page, saying "Taser this .. (expletive) BUSH."

University officials released a statement explaining their concern for response to the editorial, and that it has no control over its student media.

“While we understand (the editorial) is upsetting and offensive to many people, CSU is prohibited by law from censoring or regulating the content of its student media publications,” CSU said in a written statement.

The newspaper’s editor-in-chief wrote a letter to readers to explain that “our intentions were not malicious.”

“While the editorial board feels strongly with regard to first amendment issues, we have found the unintended consequences of such a bold statement to be extremely disheartening,” wrote J. David McSwane, editor-in-chief.

The editorial board, which consists of seven student editors, voted in a split vote to run the editorial statement, McSwane said.

Mark in Oshawa
25th September 2007, 14:18
The US maybe "free" compared to many countries, but there seems to be "brown shirt" vigilantes who want to restrict free speech:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,297708,00.html

Colorado State University Student Newspaper Under Fire for Bush Editorial

Saturday, September 22, 2007

The Colorado State University student newspaper is under fire after publishing a two-word editorial statement about President Bush.

The Rocky Mountain Collegian published the editorial on its Sept. 21 opinion page, saying "Taser this .. (expletive) BUSH."

University officials released a statement explaining their concern for response to the editorial, and that it has no control over its student media.

“While we understand (the editorial) is upsetting and offensive to many people, CSU is prohibited by law from censoring or regulating the content of its student media publications,” CSU said in a written statement.

The newspaper’s editor-in-chief wrote a letter to readers to explain that “our intentions were not malicious.”

“While the editorial board feels strongly with regard to first amendment issues, we have found the unintended consequences of such a bold statement to be extremely disheartening,” wrote J. David McSwane, editor-in-chief.

The editorial board, which consists of seven student editors, voted in a split vote to run the editorial statement, McSwane said.

Please, spare me how the US is censoring free speech when Mahmoond whathisface from Iran was invited to speak at Columbia University in New York. What got many people so upset on this one was the fact Columbia wouldn't let a right-wing activist who formed the "minutemen" group in Arizona speak. They let the mobs shut that down. They also wouldn't allow US Military recruiters on campus (something allowed at most University campuses) or allow an ROTC group to form. That my friend is left wing censorship, and it is more common on US college campuses than people realize.

Free Speech isn't dead in America, just every now and then someone forgets what its principles are. Usually things work themselves out. Also take note, that the head of Columbia introduced ole Mahmood Whatisface with a 30 min long intro stating all the insults, half truths and lies of the Iranian leader and asked him a lot of pointed questions. Even the left wing in the US gets it I guess. Funny, no gay activists or feminist groups protested this goof being invited to speak at Columbia. Yet he claims there are no gays in Iran ( he would kill them if he found one) and that Iranian women are the freest everywhere (free to have babies and be raped, free to be subservient as it states in their twisted version of the Koran). No.....it is funny how people twist free speech in the US.

AS for these freeloaders in Finland, I would love to know when they are getting the boot.....because if they are accepted, I know Finland would accept damn near anyone....

Eki
25th September 2007, 14:52
Please, spare me how the US is censoring free speech when Mahmoond whathisface from Iran was invited to speak at Columbia University in New York.
Well, they didn't allow him to Ground Zero, and Bush didn't invite him for dinner like he invited other leaders. It would have been nice of Bush to invite Ahmedinijad for a dinner. They could have talked over their differences over a drink. Something non-alcoholic of course, since Bush is a recovering alcoholic and Ahmadinejad is a Muslim. To come to think of it, they have a lot in common. Neither one drinks alcohol and neither one tolerates gay people.

Hondo
25th September 2007, 15:24
Well, they didn't allow him to Ground Zero, and Bush didn't invite him for dinner like he invited other leaders. It would have been nice of Bush to invite Ahmedinijad for a dinner. They could have talked over their differences over a drink. Something non-alcoholic of course, since Bush is a recovering alcoholic and Ahmadinejad is a Muslim. To come to think of it, they have a lot in common. Neither one drinks alcohol and neither one tolerates gay people.

In all seriousness, at least about the dinner, I think you're right. It certainly couldn't hurt anything. It could be that an informal, just the 2 of them plus interperters dinner might allow them to find a common ground to start buiding something on.

Those 5 Americans may have a valid reason, in their minds, to seek assylum in Finland. Thats up to the Finns to decide and since I've read up on the procedure involved, they are expected to do their part while they are there, the kids are expected to attend school, and all of them must start classes to learn the language of Finland or Sweden. They don't get a hotel room or an apartment unless they pay for it themselves. If they stay at the reception center they are expected to pitch in with maintenance, cleaning, groundskeeping and cooking. They are only provided with funds if they don't have their own. All in all, considering Finland didn't invite them, it's a fair and comfortable deal, but not lavish.

Tomi
25th September 2007, 15:45
Those 5 Americans may have a valid reason, in their minds, to seek assylum in Finland. Thats up to the Finns to decide and since I've read up on the procedure involved, they are expected to do their part while they are there, the kids are expected to attend school, and all of them must start classes to learn the language of Finland or Sweden. They don't get a hotel room or an apartment unless they pay for it themselves. If they stay at the reception center they are expected to pitch in with maintenance, cleaning, groundskeeping and cooking. They are only provided with funds if they don't have their own. All in all, considering Finland didn't invite them, it's a fair and comfortable deal, but not lavish.

Yes i agree, but i dont think they will get assylum, because they came to here i think it was from Ireland, they should applied from there in the first place.
The whole thing is a bit weird because if you emmigrate to here you get about the same benefits for the first 2-3 years, so why come as refugee unless you want to make somekind of statement.

janneppi
25th September 2007, 16:07
I believe they came through Germany, where they will be sent back if their application doesn't get approved.

Hondo
25th September 2007, 16:21
These people made a long journey to ask Finland for assylum for some reason. Maybe it's a valid reason and perhaps they will become an asset to your country. They have their hearts set on Finland for some reason.

Hondo
25th September 2007, 16:43
Yes i agree, but i dont think they will get assylum, because they came to here i think it was from Ireland, they should applied from there in the first place.
The whole thing is a bit weird because if you emmigrate to here you get about the same benefits for the first 2-3 years, so why come as refugee unless you want to make somekind of statement.

From the little I've read, emmigration is a tough procedure in itself, plus you'd have to have permission to go in the first place. By seeking assylum, you're already there so maybe they think that gives them an advantage, being there in person.

Also, I forgot, they are entitled to medical care immediately. If they elect to not help out around the reception center, i.e., sleep all day, any funding provided by the government will stop, although they will still be allowed to live and eat at the center and they will still have access to medical care. It looks like there is no restriction on travel other than having to be back at the reception center at night. If they are staying with family or friends or have arranged their own apartment, they are only required to keep the authorities informed of their correct address. Near as I can tell, they can seek and take employment while waiting for the decision but their earnings will be taxed like a normal citizens.

I don't know, but it could be if you came to Finland with enough money to provide for yourself and your family for say 6 months, had already started to learn the language, and had a job skill that was in demand in Finland, maybe showing up and asking for assylum may be a fast track past the official red tape. I guess at some point we'll find out.

Tomi
25th September 2007, 16:49
From the little I've read, emmigration is a tough procedure in itself, plus you'd have to have permission to go in the first place.

Thats true you need the desition in advance, but its not that difficult, I know personally about 10 people from usa who has emigrated to here, most basketballplayers but other too.

Eki
25th September 2007, 18:35
Near as I can tell, they can seek and take employment while waiting for the decision but their earnings will be taxed like a normal citizens.

I don't know, but it could be if you came to Finland with enough money to provide for yourself and your family for say 6 months, had already started to learn the language, and had a job skill that was in demand in Finland, maybe showing up and asking for assylum may be a fast track past the official red tape. I guess at some point we'll find out.
They can't work without a working permit. The fast track is to get a job and a working permit beforehand. Then you can move to Finland freely and straightaway. And American tourists can stay in Finland for three months without a visa, the same as Finns can do in the US under the Visa Waiver Program. They aren't allowed to work during that time but they can search employment and get a working permit if they find work :

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/without/without_1990.html

Here's a good link about immigrating to Finland:

http://www.uvi.fi/migratingtofinland/eng/

Hondo
25th September 2007, 19:04
On the first run through, it seems that Finland doesn't want me, although I didn't do some of the stuff like converting my salary to euros and stuff like that. I guess I'd have to get ABB to pull some strings.

Hondo
25th September 2007, 19:06
Wow! Finland sure uses a lot of double letters in their words!

A.F.F.
25th September 2007, 19:23
Wow! Finland sure uses a lot of double letters in their words!

Yes, ja se on totta vittu. :)

jso1985
26th September 2007, 01:25

so when you don't invite someone you don't like to a dinner, you're going agaisnt free speech? :s

this world is far from being free then...

Tomi
26th September 2007, 06:54
so when you don't invite someone you don't like to a dinner, you're going agaisnt free speech? :s

Have you ever heard of a thing called basic manners? If you are a host for all the leaders in the world you dont normally handpick those you invite for dinner.

Eki
26th September 2007, 07:59

this world is far from being free then...
It's a job related dinner. In most jobs you don't just meet those people you like. Bush isn't doing his job very well, IMO. Not in PR wise anyway.

jso1985
29th September 2007, 01:58
Have you ever heard of a thing called basic manners? If you are a host for all the leaders in the world you dont normally handpick those you invite for dinner.

I never said Bush has good manners! to me he's on the list of "morrons without any basic manner among many other things" alongside with his buddies Hugo and Mahmud.

But honestly calling it an attack to free speech is going too far