PDA

View Full Version : Warning from the EU: don't become successful

Dave B
18th September 2007, 08:52
Here's a cautionary tale for anybody who runs their own business.

If you take risks, make smart decisions, sell a product that for all its flaws still sells in vast quantities, and grow to become a major global player - the EU has got it in for you.

It seems that success is a bad thing, if the Microsoft ruling is anything to go by.

Now Microsoft don't always get it right, and this certainly isn't a "my OS is better than your OS so ner" thread - at least not yet! But over the decades Windows has become the de facto operating system the world over; while despite the advances of alternatives like Firefox, IE remains the most widely used browser.

But thanks largely to the people at Real crying foul because they can't understand why people don't want to download their buggy spyware-ridden crappy-quality media player, the EU has slapped Microsoft down for anti-competitive behaviour.

Let's gloss over, for a moment, the fact that nobody is forcing you to use Windows Media Player - it takes but a minute to download one of the many alternatives should you choose to do so. Let's also ignore the fact that the iTunes/iPod tie-up is one of the most anti-competitive practices in IT history.

MS have been fined 497 euros, admittedly relatively small change for them, and been told to open up their source code for developers, but in reality nothing will change. It's not like there's suddenly a wealth of alternatives out there for us the consumer.

And in all honestly, would we want that? Remember the Betamax vs VHS battle of the 80s? VHS won, despite being an inferior system, and became the world's standard videotape. A few technophiles still used Beta, and good luck to them. But for for the general public it was easy to buy a tape safe in the knowledge that it would just work.

It's the same with OSs. If you like Mac OS or Linux then the very best of luck to you, I've no criticism of either. But I can go into any computer shop and choose from a seemingly limitless amount of software which will work on WIndows. It's all dirt cheap too. Go on t'internet and there's even more software for even less cost. If developers were writing for a dozen different OSs would that necessarily be the case?

My real problem with all of this, is what right do the EU have to force a company freely to give away it's intellectual property (on the same week that so much excrement has hit the air-con over rival F1 teams doing just that! :p ) ?

Tuesday morning rant over :dozey:

Mark
18th September 2007, 08:56
You are of course correct Dave. You don't have to use Microsoft products at all. What's wrong with them including applications with their operating system?

Dave B
18th September 2007, 09:01
The usual cliche arguement is "my car comes with a Brand-X stereo, that's forcing me to use it". Which is, of course, nonsense.

Unbundling applications ignores the 90%+ of consumers who want to take their PC out of the box and start using it, without having to shop around for media players, browers, email clients and the like.

Daniel
18th September 2007, 10:03
Here's a cautionary tale for anybody who runs their own business.

If you take risks, make smart decisions, sell a product that for all its flaws still sells in vast quantities, and grow to become a major global player - the EU has got it in for you.

It seems that success is a bad thing, if the Microsoft ruling is anything to go by.

Now Microsoft don't always get it right, and this certainly isn't a "my OS is better than your OS so ner" thread - at least not yet! But over the decades Windows has become the de facto operating system the world over; while despite the advances of alternatives like Firefox, IE remains the most widely used browser.

But thanks largely to the people at Real crying foul because they can't understand why people don't want to download their buggy spyware-ridden crappy-quality media player, the EU has slapped Microsoft down for anti-competitive behaviour.

Let's gloss over, for a moment, the fact that nobody is forcing you to use Windows Media Player - it takes but a minute to download one of the many alternatives should you choose to do so. Let's also ignore the fact that the iTunes/iPod tie-up is one of the most anti-competitive practices in IT history.

MS have been fined 497 euros, admittedly relatively small change for them, and been told to open up their source code for developers, but in reality nothing will change. It's not like there's suddenly a wealth of alternatives out there for us the consumer.

And in all honestly, would we want that? Remember the Betamax vs VHS battle of the 80s? VHS won, despite being an inferior system, and became the world's standard videotape. A few technophiles still used Beta, and good luck to them. But for for the general public it was easy to buy a tape safe in the knowledge that it would just work.

It's the same with OSs. If you like Mac OS or Linux then the very best of luck to you, I've no criticism of either. But I can go into any computer shop and choose from a seemingly limitless amount of software which will work on WIndows. It's all dirt cheap too. Go on t'internet and there's even more software for even less cost. If developers were writing for a dozen different OSs would that necessarily be the case?

My real problem with all of this, is what right do the EU have to force a company freely to give away it's intellectual property (on the same week that so much excrement has hit the air-con over rival F1 teams doing just that! :p ) ?

Tuesday morning rant over :dozey:
Couldn't agree more. But the uneducated masses will see it differently. For some reason Microsoft is seen as an evil corporation which is just trying to screw you over. Apparently MS stuff is expensive too. We just bought Vista Premium the other day. It cost something like 70 quid. If we use Vista for the next 3 years (more than likely) that's 45p a week. OMFG I think I'm going to file for bankruptcy :eek: Yet in technology forums you always get people who quote the price for a retail copy of Vista and they always talk about Ultimate which for a retail copy can cost about £370 which is a bit silly. People always try to paint Microsoft in the worst light possible and it gets me angry as most will know :p

As for bundling products you're completely correct. Has anyone seen the sales figures for the "N" version of XP? For all intents it was nil. Because no one wanted it. Why should Microsoft be fined for not providing something that people don't want! PC's these days come with DVD drives, USB ports and firewire ports because no one wants to open the box and find they need something else for the PC to do what they want it to do. People want to get their new PC, open the box up, download a few updates and have a fully functional PC. How would these EU morons feel if they went into a dealership and bought a car and got in to get away to find out that they had to download tyres, a radio, a steering wheel and so on. I personally think they're just trying to beat up on the successful guy and there's no base for these fines. They're providing a product for free and by default when others would like to charge you for it and make you download it. By the EU's logic Vodafone should sue Nokia and BT because I can browse on the internet with my phone for free when Vodafone want to charge me stupid amounts to do so.

I tracked down the sales figures and in nine months there were 1,787 copies of XP-N sold.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/legal/european/04-24-06windowsxpnsalesfs.mspx

BDunnell
18th September 2007, 11:41
I certainly don't have a problem with Microsoft, and think this current case is utterly misguided. However, this particular situation is certainly an exception rather than a rule.

Daniel
18th September 2007, 12:18
I certainly don't have a problem with Microsoft, and think this current case is utterly misguided. However, this particular situation is certainly an exception rather than a rule.
Same here. I don't have a problem with Apple and Linux unless someone comes on preaching about how great they are and about how Microsoft is crap. Microsoft products have always done the job for me and even though they're not perfect I manage to get on with them just fine. At the end of the day if someone is happy then where's the problem? :)

Daniel
19th September 2007, 12:10
Got me thinking.....

I do wonder what the EU will think of the fact that Google wants to give away free "office" suites and it's rumoured that they're going to bring out their own OS for free too. I think Microsoft should just start advertising for free on it's live.com search engine :) I think it's wrong when a company is giving something away for free just to deprive another company of revenue :mark: I'm sure if people had to pay money for openoffice or Google docs you would just go out and buy Microsoft Office.

Hondo
19th September 2007, 15:44
I think the EU has to make some noise now and then to remind folks their still around and to help convince themselves that they serve a purpose.

SOD
19th September 2007, 16:54
^ you're one to talk.

what happened the 2000 ruling regarding the US Govt & microsoft?

Daniel
26th September 2007, 16:27
Ignorant idiots in courts

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/09/26/acer_laptop_microsoft_windows_french_ruling/comments/#c_67403

Yes I did comment on it. It's a pity IT commentary sites are full of "me too" people.

When I buy my next PC I'm going to take the motherboard manufacturer to court for including ultilities I don't use as well as 10 billion USB ports when all I need is 2 or 3. :rolleyes:

tinchote
26th September 2007, 17:00
It's funny, isn't it? Have you ever seen anyone complain about Linux coming full of applications you don't need? It does, and it does big time. Yet, that's not a problem :s

Daniel
26th September 2007, 17:12
Or Apple computers coming with utilities people might not want.

Dave B
26th September 2007, 17:29
My TV has got an integrated Freeview tuner, when I'd rather use Sky+.

Who do I sue?