PDA

View Full Version : Colin McRae dies in Helicopter crash...

Pages : [1] 2

pino
15th September 2007, 22:11
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_sport/article2461339.ece

Mark
15th September 2007, 22:13
I have no words ;(

jonkka
15th September 2007, 22:14
I am left without words. Almost two years to the day Michael Park died...

L5->R5/CR
15th September 2007, 22:16
What a tragedy......

Perhaps one of the greatest names and ambassadors to the sport. His driving was always exciting and entertaining and his video games helped make the sport as well known and loved as it is today...

ln-ops
15th September 2007, 22:17
I've been watching McRae since his first appereance in WRC. This is so sad. Speachless!!

reidy_fan
15th September 2007, 22:18
I feel numb after reading that, he was a great ambassador for his support and his country

RIP Col

pino
15th September 2007, 22:20
I still can't believe it... :bigcry:

R.I.P Colin

Micke_VOC
15th September 2007, 22:22
no, i cant belive it either...
Tears are very close

jonkka
15th September 2007, 22:22
Richard Burns, Michael Park, Colin McRae... it's so... wrong...

kiil
15th September 2007, 22:23
Very very sad news...

janez l.
15th September 2007, 22:24
Very sad news.

R.I.P. all of them

The legend however remains....

jso1985
15th September 2007, 22:25
:(

I have no words right now...

[WRCRR]
15th September 2007, 22:25
no words.

PuddleJumper
15th September 2007, 22:27
I'm stunned. :bigcry: This is terrible.

My heart goes out to all the McRae family.

Pecker
15th September 2007, 22:27
No names have been released as yet and police state that no names will be released until tomorrow (Sunday) but there were no survivors and the helicopter was registered to Colin Mcrae.

Iain
15th September 2007, 22:28
Lost for words. Devastated is all I can say. :(

RIP Colin and his passengers.

Northern Monkey
15th September 2007, 22:36
Gutted, absolutely gutted.

There is nothing else that can be said.

RIP.

jonkka
15th September 2007, 22:37
I probably should not write this now but...

One of the most vivid memories I have comes from Rally Argentina 1998. This was rally where Tommi and Colin battled like there was no tomorrow. On one stage Colin went a bit wide, smashed right rear suspension and at the end of stage looked like he'd retire. It was that bent.

Colin would not know how to give up, picked up roadside rock and bent the upright back to shape and reached the stage start just seconds to spare from exclusion. With bent suspension he set fastest time on that stage.

Never say...

Memories are welcome. I am all tears here.

Mirek
15th September 2007, 22:42
It's hard to read about another tragedy. Rest in peace, all killed in this crash.

N.O.T
15th September 2007, 22:43
there are no words that can express my feelings right now........

yodasarmpit
15th September 2007, 22:44
Horrible news.

tazzer
never posted hear before but was in the forrests when he won the championship. He was beyond human through hafren forrest on the 2nd run in the dark. Colin...your a hero...will always miss you. RIP. :(

sasamsa
RIP :(

Fischer
15th September 2007, 22:45
What a sad way to die for such a man :(

RIP Colin

bennizw
15th September 2007, 22:45
I'm empty and without words.

Rest in Peace, you'll always be my favorite.

tazzer
15th September 2007, 22:47
RIP Colin. You were a hero.

Brown, Jon Brow
15th September 2007, 22:48
He is a hero of mine. I really hope he wasn't on that Helicopter.

J4MIE
15th September 2007, 22:50
THIS HAS NOT BEEN CONFIRMED YET

PLEASE WAIT UNTIL MORE NEWS COMES THROUGH TOMORROW as has been announced by the authorities etc.

Daniel
15th September 2007, 22:54
So horrible. My thoughts go out to his family and friends and by friends I mean everyone who ever got to see him drive because Colin is the one driver to have really brought the sport into primetime and made the average man appreciate it.

The last time I ever saw the great man he was drunk and singing I'm gonna be (500 miles) by the Proclaimers in an Irish pub in Perth. I swore I would never post pictures of it on a public forum because it just wouldn't have been right but I'll dig it out as everyone should see it because it was a cool guy just being fun and happy and making everyone laugh :)

Shrike
15th September 2007, 22:56
This is a discussion forum and we WILL discuss it.

ZequeArgentina
15th September 2007, 22:57
I am speechless.
I have been great fan of his since. as many million arround the word, and never expected this news..............................

What a great loss.

Some of my best memories of live rally, and TV images come from him.

Artep
15th September 2007, 22:59
....i don't want to believe it. i refuse to believe it. until i have official confirmtion it is not true.

*begs and pleads*

SubaruNorway
15th September 2007, 22:59
Why did Pino make another thread stating he died then?

steve_spackman
15th September 2007, 23:00
http://timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_sport/article2461339.ece

steve_spackman
15th September 2007, 23:01
Rip Mcrae

ste898
15th September 2007, 23:02
This has NOT been confirmed and so we can still pray that its not Coiln in the helicpoter....we have to keep hoping!!!

astragte_mk2
RIP Colin if its true.......massive loss to motorsport...........

Daniel
This has NOT been confirmed and so we can still pray that its not Coiln in the helicpoter....we have to keep hoping!!!
The times article says otherwise. But of course we hope it's someone trying to have the first scoop but it doesn't look good :(

BeansBeansBeans
15th September 2007, 23:07
R.I.P Colin

A true great of the sport.

ITC55
He was full of that fighting spirit, never say indeed.... his best moments came when he needed to dig deep

R.I.P

Artep
i'm not believing anything without official police confirmation. i'm guessing realising who they're dealing, they want to be 100% certain before saying anything.

J4MIE
The times article says otherwise. But of course we hope it's someone trying to have the first scoop but it doesn't look good :(

Sky news had his manager on who wouldn't confirm anything. And that contradicts what the papers are reporting.

Huufke
15th September 2007, 23:10
Alister McRae confirmed that Colin was flying the helicopter. He said this to Colin's manager Freudiger.

SubaruNorway
15th September 2007, 23:11
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/a291c50f-97f3-4371-91ca-99aa0127e124.htm

reidy_fan
15th September 2007, 23:12
I am hoping that it isnt col but it doesnt look good

even if it isnt him then there is still a family in grief tonight

Koz
15th September 2007, 23:13
RIP Colin

Bazza2541
15th September 2007, 23:14
I don't care how cruel or callus it sounds.
I really hope and pray its someone else.

turn 4 mad
15th September 2007, 23:14
RIP to all on board.

BeansBeansBeans
15th September 2007, 23:21
RIP to all on board.

Indeed.

A terrible tragedy for all involved.

xavier
15th September 2007, 23:23
L'equipe confirms the tragedy. My thoughs to his family and friends.

m.lowe
15th September 2007, 23:31
PLEASE NOTE NOTHING IS CONFIRMED YET EVEN THOUGH WE KNOW IN OUR MINDS IT IS CERTAIN TO BE HIM AS THE POLICE ARE AT THE MCRAE HOME.

HIS MANAGER COULD NOT CONFIRM ON SKY NEWS SO ANY SITE/PAPER THAT HAS CONFIRMED THIS IS DOWN TO HEARSAY

This thread should be locked till official news comes through as there is his family to think about

ste898
15th September 2007, 23:34
Yes that is very true Mark.....

Until the aweful news is official there should be no RIP posts etc

A.F.F.
15th September 2007, 23:42
I''m afraid it's official, news offices all over the world tell the same awful story now :(

I'm speechless.

Res Ipsa Loquitur
15th September 2007, 23:43
Richard Burns, Michael Park, Colin McRae... it's so... wrong...

Yes, I was just thinking that myself. I believe there's been no official confirmation yet, but Sky News are saying that the helicopter was registered to Colin. I was lucky enough to meet Jimmy and Ally McRae last year.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/home :(

Pecker
15th September 2007, 23:46
SKY NEWS now reporting that Colin Mcrae was on board informed by Strathclyde Police.

Artep
15th September 2007, 23:48
BBC also reporting police believe he was on board......

*hides in a corner and cries*

Res Ipsa Loquitur
15th September 2007, 23:49
SKY NEWS now reporting that Colin Mcrae was on board informed by Strathclyde Police.

Yes. BBC News 24 are now running a banner headline that police believe Colin was on board.

PuddleJumper
15th September 2007, 23:49
For the time being this thread shall remain open. We can all follow the news closely and await an official report about what has happened, but I fear that what we're being told by the TV and internet news is true. If it wasn't Colin someone would have said so by now.

Tom206wrc
15th September 2007, 23:50
Oh TERRIBLE !!!! :eek:
I read that news in french forum and couldn't believe my eyes...

I can't believe an icon of WRC can disappear suddenly like this !!
;( ;( ;(

Artep
15th September 2007, 23:54
Apparently, police have also confirmed it was Colin's helicopter.

White Sauron
15th September 2007, 23:55
If Colin wasn't on board, he would have told smth by now...
But seems he was... And he isn't... with us... anymore... R.I.P. Colin...(((
Deep condolences to his wife who lost not only a husband but also a child... it's awful...

Fang
15th September 2007, 23:56
The second passenger is believed to have been his 5 year old son. Such awful news

RicKT
16th September 2007, 00:02
Guys,

I have been reading the Mcrae forum and it would appear, "rumour" thats Colin and his 8 year old son was on board..

Im lost for words, this guy is a legend, it was only last week i was speaking to my mates about Colin and how we all think he needs to run out in a WRC car again..

If the above all comes true, please lets don't forgot his 8 year son.

See link below..

http://www.colinmcrae.com/forum.asp?int_forum_id=3

Also see links on our site reading this for the latest links etc..

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=15688

Cheers

RickT

White Sauron
16th September 2007, 00:05
Ilta Sanomat also says Colin and his 5-years old son Johnny died...

WRXedUSA
16th September 2007, 00:08
BBC says 4 were now onboard.

This is horrible no matter who it was/is.

Body Stylist
16th September 2007, 00:12
GUTTED

TRUELY GUTTED

R.I.P Colin, and all else on board :(

J.Lindstroem
16th September 2007, 00:12
I have been following the Wrc since the Swedish rally 2001. I remember that i was so totaly inlove with the style Colin. He had crashed on friday and was driving on an amazing pace for the ramainging two days.

I remember the pictures in my head, those pictures of Colin Mcrae going crazy with the Focus was what got me following the sport. I remember that from the first moment, i knew that this was my kind of thing.

I started watching the Wrc circus, and through the hard times of the sport, Colin Mcrae was the name that made me keep on watching. When he stopped doing rally at the end of 2003, i think i did´nt really realised how much i was going to miss him the following years. Nothing whould be the same without him. Many of us on the forum has all the time since then been hoping about a comeback. We have been dreaming about him comming to save our sport, and taking it to the level where it was a couple of years back.

I am afraid it won't happen know. It will not happen. Why? Because he is dead. Everytime i say that to my myself it is like someone is stabbing me in the heart. Im serious. I have been playing his games, and following his name for so many years that i feel like i know the guy.

I feel awful. I just can't think clear. But it does not matter, i think i am not the only one here.

RIP Colin

Artep
16th September 2007, 00:13
.....it is horrible, horrible for the families involved, for friends.....

i feel for the families of all people on board....it's unbelievably tragic.

calibr
16th September 2007, 00:14
Best memory was when he where guestdriver for Skôda in rally australia for some years ago.. When he took the gearbox. And Skôda didnt fix it becouse the time ran out. And all Fabriqueteams hailed Colin Mcrae and Nicky Grist for outstanding performance!!

Rest in peace Colin

Artep
16th September 2007, 00:17
i only just met Colin McRae this year at Goodwood - I was so ecstatic, to stand next to him, talk to him, get photo with him, i couldn't believe I was actually getting the chance to talk to Colin McRae and see him in action.....

I can't bear the thought of not getting that chance again.....

I need to go to sleep, I'm meant to be getting up for work in 6 hours......

AndySpeed
16th September 2007, 00:18
It truly sends a shiver down my spine, and I still hope that there is even the slightest chance that he wasn't on the helicopter... :(

RIP

jonny hurlock
16th September 2007, 00:35
don't know what to say, just heard about it now on the radio on my way home at midnight,

my deep condolences to the family of Colin
RIP Colin, 100% True Legend man,

Mihai
16th September 2007, 00:37
Initial reports were ambiguous, stating that it was unclear if Colin was on board. There was still a hope for me, but now it's gone. RIP Colin ;(

Daz
16th September 2007, 00:38
I can't believe I'm reading all about this tonight. Colin was my all time rally hero and inspired me to buy the style of car he had most sucesss with the Subaru Impreza. My sympathy goes to all of the McRae family for the loss of such great people :(

SubaruNorway
16th September 2007, 00:45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyH9Es0wh3Y&NR=1¨

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIgwec_UvRc&mode=related&search=

pentti
16th September 2007, 00:51
Sad.

FAlonso
16th September 2007, 00:57
Very, very sad day for motorsport and families and friends of those envolved. RIP Colin and the others :( Words fail me..

mercury8
16th September 2007, 00:57
Truely sad news.Not only Colin but his son and 2 other passengers.Farewell Colin.Condolences to all family and friends of all victims.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/common/imagedata/0,5001,5657852,00.jpg

Fang
16th September 2007, 00:58
Is there any news on the whereabouts of his wife and other child?

SubaruNorway
16th September 2007, 01:01
Is there any news on the whereabouts of his wife and other child?

They are okay

Sulland
16th September 2007, 01:13
Somebody lost a father and a husband yesterday, and my thoughts goes his closest family and friends, that also lost a brother and a son !

But to the rest of us that feels that a rallycar should go more sideways than straight, and have him as our ultimate driver - we have lost something too. A hope that some day he would come back and drive like he did the Fabia, lying 2nd before it stopped. Why they did not sign him on the spot is beyond me. If thay had that car would have had a different legacy. And that is where it all started with the big and bulky Legacy he drove like nobody else.

We all hoped he would be back, maybe with Suzuki - but now we can only dream of what it could have been. But we have the memories of what he indeed did do behind a wheel - and that we will enjoy those in the years to come. All of this is pretty insignificant compared to what his closest are going through now.

My deepest Condolences to the family.

Colin RIP, we are already missing you !!

MOODY BLUE
16th September 2007, 01:21
My 1st post on here for a long time, and gutted that it is on this thread!

Tragic news - Colin has always been a legend in my eyes

Motorsport will be a sad place without you - R.I.P. MacAttack

My Thoughts to the other unamed victims and families concerned.

VkmSpouge
16th September 2007, 01:22
Seems to be certain now we've lost a supreme driving talent in Colin McRae in a tragic helicopter accident. My condolences go out to his family for their double loss if it is true that Colin's son was also killed and also to the family of the other two people who were on board the helicopter.

mdesign
16th September 2007, 01:32
Very sad sad day. Colin was a legend, and probably the most famous rally driver ever. A big lost for all motorsport lovers. my thoughts are with is wife a daugther...

RallyCat909
16th September 2007, 01:34
The emptiness Im feeling is just so horrible.

RIP Colin, you are sorely missed.....

ozrevhead
16th September 2007, 01:36
Gutted :(

RIP

kleisj
16th September 2007, 01:45
Is just unbelievable news....
Another black damn day for the world of rallying.

No words, empty feelings.
Was never enough to watch him driving... the most spectacular ever saw.
Is a f**king irony , after so many competition miles completed in tremendous speeds, in tremendous angles, with great risks...

Deepest condolences to the families of the people lost.

Colin you will always be in our hearts!

ShiftingGears
16th September 2007, 01:47
RIP Colin, you were the first rally driver I knew.

My thoughts go to his family and friends.

GruppoB
16th September 2007, 01:48
If anyone on here is good with editing and has great clips

I think a tribute with Suo Gan would be fitting for such a great man.

LastDitchRacing
16th September 2007, 02:07
I'm at a loss. As a husband, father and rally driver, it's been a very difficult day.

My heart and prayers goes out to the McRae family. I had great difficulty finding the right words to tell my boys about Colin's passing today.

He has been a hero in our household for years. To hear that his son was likely on board was especially difficult.

Godspeed Colin and Johnny, we'll miss you.

John

Cigar2
16th September 2007, 02:09
Oh MY GOD!!!! I can't believe what I've read he's gone I can't believe IT!!! First Burnie's now Colin. I feel totally destory....... :(

jimispeed
16th September 2007, 02:12
RIP Colin. You were a one in a million.... I hope it's not true for his son..

BeerBro
16th September 2007, 02:19
i'm just totally speechless when I saw this.

RIP Colin McRae :(

WRCfan
16th September 2007, 02:41
Our darkest day in modern rallying....

One of a kind, gutted to hear the news, my thoughts go out to his family...

RIP Colin.

clayne
16th September 2007, 02:49
I'm just in shock about this still. Although no official confirmations have been made, I think it's safe to say the worst should be feared (based on the news data out there now).

I was really awaiting when Colin would return to WRC and bring some of the mid-late 90s spirit back into it. :-/

WRXedUSA
16th September 2007, 02:58
The Prodrive curse..

Park
Lovell
Freeman
Burns
McRae...

Condolences from the US rally community to the McRaes.

http://rally.subaru.com/gallery/2007_x/final/LG2_4738.jpg

-chad

WRXedUSA
16th September 2007, 03:20
I unfortunately never had the opportunity to see him on a stage.

Very sad because I was really hoping he would get a drive with Suzuki or in the 2008 Rally America series.

My favorite WRC memory had to have been when he broke his pinky finger in Spain, "Well, If I need to cut it off, we'll do it"

s12impreza
16th September 2007, 03:24
What can I say.........
if its possible to pick anyone moment i remember seeing of colin, it has to be I think..... him spinning the car after winnng the World Drivers Title he really made that car Dance then,
Im 20 years of age, so when u go back 95 etc.... i was only 8 years of age and as anyoy who loved rallying he was my hero, and still is my hero,

ive so many things i could say about this man but dont know what way to phrase them.....

You'll be missed
RIP to all involved in this tragic accident

koko0703
16th September 2007, 03:24
What a sad news to start a day..... I just can't believe this :(

Colin, thank you for all the memories and all the contributions that you did to rallying community. RIP Colin.

Josti
16th September 2007, 03:33
If anyone on here is good with editing and has great clips

I think a tribute with Suo Gan would be fitting for such a great man.

I'm planning a McRae tribute very soon. I will post it when it's done.

TheTiger
16th September 2007, 03:35
A tragic loss for his family, friends, and for the all the worlds rally enthusiast! :(

RIP Colin McRae!

sollitt
16th September 2007, 03:37
The Prodrive curse..

Park
Lovell
Freeman
Burns
McRae...

You could add Freeth & Bourne to that list.

However who believes in curses?

Nevertheless a very sad day for all and especially the McRae family who have all been very good friends to NZ rallying.

Ninastein
16th September 2007, 03:47
Such terrrible news. My heart goes out to the McRae family at this awful time, and also to his many fans around the world.

grugsticles
16th September 2007, 03:50
When his heart was in it Colin was made of pure determination!
Early in his career when driving for Subaru all he wanted to be was the fastest... something David Richards wasnt always happy with.
I remember seeing many headed conversations (one in particular) regarding team orders and finishing position.

Good old Col... we all love ya... even the Yanks too!

Fleur
16th September 2007, 04:00
RIP...
My thoughts go out to the McRae clan. Very sad news, he will be missed by all.

ettelbruck
16th September 2007, 04:01
oh no :(

Fleur
16th September 2007, 04:04
I unfortunately never had the opportunity to see him on a stage.

Very sad because I was really hoping he would get a drive with Suzuki or in the 2008 Rally America series.

My favorite WRC memory had to have been when he broke his pinky finger in Spain, "Well, If I need to cut it off, we'll do it"

Yes, such was his passion for the sport. Also remember his infamous quote in NZ, after crashing. When he was asked why he crashed he replied "Ask the Welsh Wizard"

tannat
16th September 2007, 04:11
This is far too much..

First Burns' tragic death, and now this...

RIP Colin....

JAM
16th September 2007, 04:20
RIP Colin

Maybe the most spectacular driver from all the times, but no doubts that was a WRC ambassador all over the world.

Matt
16th September 2007, 04:27
From the US and the NASCAR community our deepest condolences on the death of a young man who was a simply extraordinary driver.

Here in the states we see rallying usually as a a 30 second in our highlight shows but that was enough to show me McRae was something special. Both his driving and his personality on camera out of the car proved him to be a special person.

Back in 1993 the NASCAR community lost Davey Allison, a Winston Cup championship contender, the son of racing legend Bobby Allison, and a fine young man with young children in a helicopter crash at the Talladega Superspeedway. Nearly 15 years later the pain still aches but we have had time to recall the rest of Davey's life, his smile, his passion, his willingness to accomodate every fan who wanted a moment of his time, and his eternal optomism even after the 1992 championship was wrested from him by an out of control driver.

I have been writing about motorsports for over a decade and all too often I have had to cover the death of men younger than me. Some of them die in races, some in street crashes and far too many in aircraft accidents. It doesn't get any easier but it provides a response to those who feel motorsports are too dangerous....you can die in day to day activities, even if you don't have to have a helicopter to commute...as easily as you can in a race.

Again, my most sincere condolences to all of you who are grieving and hurt as the night heads to dawn here on the other side of the Atlantic coast.

WRXedUSA
16th September 2007, 04:29
You could add Freeth & Bourne to that list.

However who believes in curses?

The common denominator is erie, that was the point.

harvick#1
16th September 2007, 05:02
RIP Colin :(

this is just heartbreaking news

oily oaf
16th September 2007, 06:17
Diabolical news if confirmed.
I saw Colin driving a stock car in an ASCAR race at Rockingham in 2002. Despite never having competed on an Oval before he stuck his balls on the dashboard and made mugs of the rest of the grid.
RIP

Incrimn8r
16th September 2007, 06:39
Tragic news, A great character and great sportsman lost.

Our thoughts go out to the Mcrae Family.

dwboogityfan
16th September 2007, 06:42
This is just unbelievably sad news. Was looking forward to watching Colin at Wembley in December. The world of motorsport has lost an absolute legend and a class act. RIP Colin, you will be missed immensely.

16th September 2007, 06:48
I saw some highlights of the Xgames on TV and remember thinking that Colin seemed to be having a great time. He was very relaxed and happy during an interview and so different than during the seriousness of WRC. That will be how I remember him. R.I.P

DonJippo
16th September 2007, 07:01
Sad sad news :(

RIP Colin

clayne
16th September 2007, 07:01
It's as if the only feeling one can express is just a feeling of loss and wanting to somehow be convinced otherwise of a more positive possibility or the sheer desire to change the outcome to something more positive. The whole thing just really sucks.

GigiGalliNo1
16th September 2007, 07:07

GigiGalliNo1
16th September 2007, 07:07
i'm in much disbelief as I found out R.B passed away long ago... then Beef. And now this.... :(

LeonBrooke
16th September 2007, 07:37
Well... nothing to say that hasn't already been said :( ;(

farquar wrc
16th September 2007, 07:43
This is just so wrong,i saw Colin and Jonny last weekend in the service area at our local rally,i still cant take it in,i've followed Colin since 1986,and never once did you see him and not be amazed and scared by his speed,my heart goes out to Alison and Holly and the rest of the family and hope that Jonny wasn't on board
RIP Colin
Gone but will never ever be forgotten

wrc_flipper
16th September 2007, 07:51
Very sad news - my thoughts are with his family. A great loss to Ralling and Motorsport in general.

N
16th September 2007, 07:58
RIP Colin :(

amberie
16th September 2007, 08:01
Everyone's words have already expressed the same shock and sadness that I feel. But how great it is that there is so much respect and love for one man.

Langdale Forest
16th September 2007, 08:14
:s hock: ;(

R.I.P Colin McRae

Timole
16th September 2007, 08:26
I have no words. Rest in peace Colin. You were on of the best rally drivers!

dyfi1
16th September 2007, 08:32
A very black weekend, so sad.

Mihai
16th September 2007, 08:36
When he was asked why he crashed he replied "Ask the Welsh Wizard"

I think that was when they got a time penalty, back in his Ford years.

One memory that I have of him is an inteview after retiring from the hard fought Monte Carlo 2000. The reporter asked Colin how far into the stage his engine failed and he replied with the purest Scottish accent: "It doesn't really matter, isn't it?"

ern
16th September 2007, 08:45

Peugeot206WRC
16th September 2007, 08:47
I cant believe it! Its so sad.
R.I.P.

Patwrc
16th September 2007, 08:50
I find it hard to believe it. Colin is a real professional in rallying. I feel sad to hear this for sure.

R.I.P. Colin McRae

Magnus
16th September 2007, 08:53
It´s people like Collin that "our" sport really needs. It´s a huge loss for anyone who has followed rallying in the past. I will dearly remeber him for his flat-out driving style. It is a pity that we didn´t have the possibility of seeing him in the wrc again, many with me I think would have wanted that.
My thoughts goes to his family and friends. Aftonbladet reports that Colin was accompanied in the heli by his five year old son... :(

relista
16th September 2007, 08:54
slava mu,bog sa tobom Koline ostaces moj heroj do kraja zivota

Woodeye
16th September 2007, 09:00
I just saw the news. Terrible. I'm in shock. This is a sad day.

I had the privilege of seeing Colin many times in Jyväskylä, always spectacular and always fast. My best memory of Colin is from 93 or 94 from 1000 lakes. I was watching the cars as they passed Jämsänkoski after some SS and went to service. I didn't had the radio so I didn't know that Colid had crashed on the stage before the service and he was really late.

First I heard something, then the noice was unbearable. Then I saw the Subaru. At was coming something like 200 kph in public road and it was totally wrecked, from the rear! Apparently Colin had crashed to a fence, backwards! But still, even that the car was totalled and he was awfully late, he didn't gave up. He never did.

I addition to Finnish guys, Carlos and Sebastian, Colin was one of the drivers that I really respected. I never got his autograph when I was a kid and I was really unhappy about it. Now I never will get it. :(

Rest in Peace Colin. You'll be missed.

ProRally
16th September 2007, 09:03
Very sad news.
Condolences to his family and the family from his friend onboard

Woodeye
16th September 2007, 09:10
Rest in Peace Colin.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Magnus
16th September 2007, 09:13
Colins Crest has suddenly got a new symbolic value...
Read that his first appearence in world rallying was in the swedish rally in 1987 in a Vauxhall Nova.

Miika
16th September 2007, 09:20
Seeing Colin in action for the first time live in the 1000 Lakes 15 years ago, I was convinced the "kid" got talent. Rolling the car into the Finnish woods not only once, twice but three times and every time getting it back on the road and finishing the event with the raisin-like of a car. I, among the other Finns, were sold.

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/976/img0051iv2.jpg

We´ll miss you, Colin.

wizaron
16th September 2007, 09:26
I get it cold and tears in the eyes, by this sad news. ;(
Condolences to his family.

Woodeye
16th September 2007, 09:31
This was exactly the same rally that I remembered.

Mickyboy
16th September 2007, 09:32
Outstanding driver, Exellent personality and a huge loss to the world of motorsport.

He will never be forgotten

RIP big man!

306 Cosworth
16th September 2007, 09:38
it Has Not Been Confirmed From An Official And Reliable Source That Colin Mcrae Is Dead. I Find This Thread Very Insensitive And I Think People Should Wait Until An Official Announcement Has Been Made!

ste898
16th September 2007, 09:46
Exactly right 306 Cosworth......its says on Sky that no indetification will be made till SUNDAY afternoon so I cannot understand how the is so many RIP's when nothing is confirmed

White Sauron
16th September 2007, 09:51
it Has Not Been Confirmed From An Official And Reliable Source That Colin Mcrae Is Dead. I Find This Thread Very Insensitive And I Think People Should Wait Until An Official Announcement Has Been Made!

If Colin was alive, he would have said this already, don't you think so?!!
Just imagine, you're sitting in your house and watch on TV that you're dead! Wouldn't you like to break such rumors immediately? What a bull**** you're saying! Poor Colin...((( R.I.P.

Corny
16th September 2007, 09:59
RIP Col!

306 Cosworth
16th September 2007, 10:00
If Colin was alive, he would have said this already, don't you think so?!!
Just imagine, you're sitting in your house and watch on TV that you're dead! Wouldn't you like to break such rumors immediately? What a bull**** you're saying! Poor Colin...((( R.I.P.

Bull **** I hardly think so! NO ONE HAS CONFIRMED HE IS DEAD! At the moment it's just a possibility!

MikeD
16th September 2007, 10:05
Ohh No! So sad news :(

RIP Colin.

BeansBeansBeans
16th September 2007, 10:08
Bull **** I hardly think so! NO ONE HAS CONFIRMED HE IS DEAD! At the moment it's just a possibility!

The situation is that it can't be officially confirmed as the bodies have not been formally identified, however it has been confirmed that it is his helicopter, he was on board and that all occupants are dead. It's just a fine legal line which means that although most news outlets will only confirm that he is 'feared dead', they are all running tributes and career retrospectives.

seb_sh
16th September 2007, 10:14
Colin will be missed by all rally fans, his unique style both while driving or while giving an interview brought us joy and for that we thank you.
R.I.P.

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/5608/colin2lq6.jpg

Xeroid
16th September 2007, 10:23
A tragedy for the rallying world, and a bigger tragedy for his family. He will always be remembered for his unique style and flair. Our deepest condolences to his family for the double loss.

[WRCRR]
16th September 2007, 10:26
It's such a huge loss to the rallying world and motorsport in general. Really hard to take in... :(

DGRALLYING
16th September 2007, 10:26
Like many of others posting on here, it has been a long time since i posted but i felt that I was obliged to do so and offer my condolences for this tragic news that has hit the world.

I heard the news and thought of Bertie Fisher, who also went the same way, this is such a sad lose which we have all had and even a name that I have been telling my son of over the last few months as he starts coming of age and starts to have a great interest in colin’s career.

RIP Colin, you can now join the stage above with some of the other great names

Dave Metcalf
Bertie Fisher
Possum
To say just a few.

Jaanus
16th September 2007, 10:27
I can't believe the most famous rally driver is gone just like that. A very sad day for motorsport.
RIP Colin I will never forget you :(

Brother John
16th September 2007, 10:34
I was buying a new computer yesterday to be back on the forum an the first thread i reed was bad news. :confused:
All i can say now is RIP Colin and all the others in this tragedy.
Condolences to his family, friends and the family from his friend onboard

Grrrr...
16th September 2007, 10:36
RIP Colin. I will always remember.

Kaps
16th September 2007, 10:42
I'm truly shocked, still just can't fathom this.

Colin was one of my two greatest rallying heroes.

My thoughts are with the McRae clan and with the families of other people involved.

Rest in Peace Col!

Highlander
16th September 2007, 10:52
R.I.P. Colin McRae :(

Harde
16th September 2007, 10:58
R.I.P. Colin McRae... he`s a man to be remembered (W)

Ide
16th September 2007, 11:01
http://www.ilkansivu.net/Etusivun_tausta_Colin_McRae_1968-2007.jpg

R.I.P.

Maui J.
16th September 2007, 11:03
Very sad news for the McRae family, the other families involved, and the rallying public.

Fond memories of his first WRC win here in NZ with the Legacy.
Thanks for entertaining us all over the years.
I was hoping for some sort of comeback in 2008, unfortunately that will never happen.

RIP Colin

savvas
16th September 2007, 11:03
i am sure everyone in the entire motorsport family, not just the WRC family, must be devastated by the news.

Few people could be named legends, Colin is one of them.

gm99
16th September 2007, 11:07
I was really shocked when I came home last night and saw the news on TV.

Colin was one of the most outstanding characters in all of motorsports, not just rallying, and I always thought it was a pity he didn't compete in WRC on a regular basis after 2003, and my interest in rallying has declined a lot as a result of that. Personally, I think he should have won more than the one world championship in 1995, as he came so close on a number of occasions.

One can only speculate as to the number of fans he brought to the sport, not just through his flamboyant style and being the first British world champion, but also through the Codemasters game (I guess I'll have to dig out mine and do a few stages of the RAC rallye in tribute to Colin later today).

Motorsports have lost a great personality, but his family and friends have lost even more, especially if reports are to believed that he had his son with him in the helicopter.

Godspeed Colin!

Jordib
16th September 2007, 11:07
I'm shocked, i can't believe that after tragedys of Richard Burns and Michael Park, there are really bad luck around us!
Thanks for all you made for helping rally to be known worldwide! We will miss you.
My condolences to Mcrae family and all rally fans.

marcel555
16th September 2007, 11:35
R.I.P. Colin, my deepst condoleances to the family. You will be truly missed, you were my hero....

Gurl Racer
16th September 2007, 11:39
I was watching the news here when I heard it... I thought my Norwegian was crap when I first heard it but then my rally friend across the road confirmed it :(

RIP Colin... very sad day for motorsport.

Viktory
16th September 2007, 11:52
Very sad news :(

R.I.P. Colin and the other passangers in the helicopter

Xsara Fan
16th September 2007, 11:52
R.I.P. Colin...

Dave B
16th September 2007, 12:01
I heard the news last night, and still don't quite believe it. I'm not a massive rally fanatic but like just about every armchair fan I've got a huge respect for what Colin McRae has achieved.

It's still not officially confirmed as I write this, but I think we all know deep down what the outcome is.

My thoughts are with his family and friends.

RIP Colin

cut the b.s.
16th September 2007, 12:09
Very sad news, I watched him 1st in the Nova, his talent already clear to be seen, he inspired a whole generation of rally fans, a true legend has been taken from us way before his time. Thanks for the memories Colin
Thoughts are with his family and all involved

gjalie
16th September 2007, 12:32
R.I.P. Colin and Johnny

N.O.T
16th September 2007, 12:41
Rest in Peace for all those who were onboard.....Lets please not forget that 4 people aren't among us anymore. Colin was special because he offered us something we love and share as a passion.

Waldrons11
16th September 2007, 12:44
Steve Ryder just mentioned the sad news on ITV's F1 coverage at Spa. The whole of the world of motorsport is in shock.

RIP Colin and Jonny and the 2 other passengers

Livewireshock
16th September 2007, 12:50
This is a very sad day.

To all of his family, I wish to express my deepest sorrow for this tragic loss.

On another sad level:-
Codemasters need to take stock too, on a side issue. On returning home tonight was an email asking me to purchase Collin McRae DIRT. Very inappropriate indeed.
Please turn your email server off at this point in time.

Madeira
16th September 2007, 13:00

leejohnstone
16th September 2007, 13:03
I am devasted with this news. Motorsport has lost a Legend and Scotland a National Hero. I was lucky enough to meet him a few times and sat with him on test day only three weeks ago in his beloved MKII Escort . This in car video is probably one of the last ever filmed :-( so sad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmwC-dvGCY8

I will treasure this for ever. My thoiughts are with his family

RIP Colin

Lee

dimviii
16th September 2007, 13:05
RIP COLIN

THE BEST OF THE BEST

we are always remember you as a legend

leejohnstone
16th September 2007, 13:17
I am devasted by the news I have been up most of the night and finding it hard to come to terms with this . I was lucky enough to met him on several occasions and only three weeks ago spent the day with him and his father Jimmy at a test day.

I sat with him in his beloved MKII Escort that day the incar video I will treasure forever. This is probably one of the last in car videos of the great man in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmwC-dvGCY8

Motorsport has lost a legend and Scotland a National Hero, my thoughts are with his family and friends

RIP Colin

Lee

Pecker
16th September 2007, 13:24
Strathclyde have just released the names of those that they believe were in the helicopter when it crashed. Colin McRae, 39, his son Johnny, 5, his friend Ben Porcelli, 6, and family friend Graeme Duncan, 37, were all thought to be on board. This information is on bbc website.

RIP

nicemms
16th September 2007, 13:30
I just read that too. RIP Colin, Johnny, Ben and Graeme. My thoughts are with all of the familes, especially Colin's brother.

Such a sad event - too of Britains rally stars killed in the prime of live.

Tigger9232
16th September 2007, 13:32
http://www.bildercache.de/bild/20070916-140650-80.gifFor all who died on bord and their families!

noel157
16th September 2007, 13:33
4 lives wasted. So sad that 2 people in their prime of life perished and perhaps more tragic the loss of 2 children. Thoughts and prayers to the families and friends.
Perhaps this says it all:
http://www.colinmcrae.com

Langdale Forest
16th September 2007, 13:43
McRae's career in picturs:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/world_rally/6997071.stm

Cookster1387
16th September 2007, 14:22
R.I.P Colin Mcrae and his 5 yr old son Johnny who tragically died yesterday after Colin's helicopter crashed at Jervis woods in Lanark half a mile from there family home... My heart is with Colin's wife Alison and their 9yr old daughter Hollie and the rest of the family and the famillies of the other 2 people Ben and Graeme who also lost their lifes yesterday when they were on the helicopter when it burst into flames... I cant' believe the news i seen his helicopter going over yesterday and all last night i thought it was a dream its such a sad day he was such a great guy and great sport and so many people idolised him in the Rallying R.I.P xXx
http://www.bildercache.de/bild/20070916-140650-80.gif

steve_spackman
16th September 2007, 14:33
anyone know if a online book of condolences is available like the one for the ojne done for great micheal park?

Elgin Man
16th September 2007, 15:00
Such a sad day for everyone. It was Colin that got me into Rallying and all the memories of getting up early in the morning to watch the WRC and see how he got on. Also the wonderful experince of getting a run with Colin will be treasured with me for ever.

R.I.P

Daniel

WelshLegend
16th September 2007, 15:10
Rest in Peace Colin and everyone else onboard :( :( :(

Jefe Máximo
16th September 2007, 15:29
I'm still at a loss for words..

My thoughts remain with his family and friends.

Doon
16th September 2007, 15:33
I'm still in shock. A massive loss.

My thoughts are with the familes of the people lost in the tragedy.

Colin you will be sorely missed......RIP

Lalo
16th September 2007, 15:41
I just still can't believe it. It was a cruel accident, not only because of those who deceased but also a child died. My thoughts are with Colin's family, friends and beloved people.

A true king has died yesterday, a rally leyend.

Rest In Peace, Colin McRae and family
1968 - 2007

:'(

ZequeArgentina
16th September 2007, 15:46
I probably should not write this now but...

One of the most vivid memories I have comes from Rally Argentina 1998. This was rally where Tommi and Colin battled like there was no tomorrow. On one stage Colin went a bit wide, smashed right rear suspension and at the end of stage looked like he'd retire. It was that bent.

Colin would not know how to give up, picked up roadside rock and bent the upright back to shape and reached the stage start just seconds to spare from exclusion. With bent suspension he set fastest time on that stage.

Never say...

Memories are welcome. I am all tears here.

I was exactly at that stage, he bent the suspension arm just before last stage that day (El Condor-Copina), I was at the end (close to copina), and following Colin´s repair by radio, and then saw him coming down the mountains, at a craze speed.............I am pretty sure most who were there became Colin´s fan (I they were not before)

Spud
16th September 2007, 15:57
I heard about this last night but I couldnt bring myself to go online and confirm.Alas, the truth is the truth and so I would like to offer my most heartfelt condolences to the family and friends of the GREAT SCOT, Colin McRae at this time.Words cannot express my sorrow at his passing.My condolences also to the family and friends of the others who also perished in the crash.McRae was one of my personal heroes and in my mind, rallying has lost another of its greats.Godspeed Colin...thanks for the memories...

Mark in Oshawa
16th September 2007, 15:58
Rest in Peace Colin....and Rest in Peace to all who were with you, I know you were fighting to the end.....

Mudflap
16th September 2007, 16:25
Less than 12 years after Colin winning the world title both he and Richard are now deceased.

No Words Can Describe Cover The Loss.

Aoddy
16th September 2007, 16:27
I' m so sad to hear the news. RIP, Colin

Spud
16th September 2007, 16:28
Colin McRae was a larger than life character, no doubt about it.I will remember him always for his determination and "flat out" attitude.Rallying has lost a giant.Godspeed Colin...thanks for the memories....

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c216/Spudrin/Car%20Stuff/16-09-07_0913.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c216/Spudrin/Car%20Stuff/16-09-07_0911.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c216/Spudrin/Car%20Stuff/16-09-07_0912.jpg

GigiGalliNo1
16th September 2007, 16:31

Le NaRcX
16th September 2007, 16:32
RIP :(

WSRfan82
16th September 2007, 16:54
I simply can not believe that one of the legends of ralling has gone :( my thoughts are with his family and friends and my thoughts are all so with the familys and friends of the other people onboard

Colin McRae MBE (5 August 1968 – 15 September 2007) R.I.P colin you will be sadly miss :(

marti.r
16th September 2007, 17:12
This is really really sad news. My thouths are with the family and friends of all who died on board.
Rest in peace Colin!

hotsteam
16th September 2007, 17:23
Heard The News On The Radio This Morning , Total Disbelief !!
Didnt Want To Believe It , But Unfortunaetly It Is.
Feel Totally Choked , As If My Own Son Had Passed On
Was Looking Forward To See Him Again In The Driving Seat , Such A Talent Will Be Sadly Missed . The World Is A Poorer Place With This News .
My Condolences And Wishes Go To His Family , Such A Sad Day

Corny
16th September 2007, 17:44
For the ones that have seen MotoGP this afternoon:
Absolutely superb what Vale said after the race, and did on the startinggrid!

thetrooper_uk
16th September 2007, 17:47
Another sad loss of a top Driver and fellow Scotsman. He will be missed sorely. Rally has lost a great driver but the world has lost a great man. R.I.P

Brown, Jon Brow
16th September 2007, 17:50
Colin is the driver that got be into motorsport during the mid nineties. I was a keen follower of the WRC every year until Colin lost his works seat. The past few years of rallying haven't been the same without him.

It's so sad to think that both of Britain WRC drivers champions are no longer with us.

R.I.P :(

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39937000/jpg/_39937146_mcraeburns203.jpg

http://cache.jalopnik.com/images/2006/07/colin_mcrae.jpg

aivan
16th September 2007, 18:05
I'm so shocked I think I have no chance of success trying to express my feelings.
We've lost an icon, a hero and a role model...
Also can't help to feel even more sad for the loss of the two kids onboard.

Gone but not forgotten.

R.I.P. to all the people on that damned helicopter.

Timole
16th September 2007, 18:07
RIP Colin and my condolences to the families who lost their loved ones. Although there were many different opinions about Colin and his driving style, no one argued about his true passion about rallying. Unfortunately we won´t see Colin in a rally car anymore. You will be always in our memories.

cyd
16th September 2007, 18:10
oh no................
I was just thinking of Michael Park and turned on the computer and saw this.

My condolences to his friends and family. I pray his wife and daughter didn't witness the crash since it was so close to their home.

Surely there must be a rallying heaven.

MTA
16th September 2007, 18:25
Thanks for the memories.
We will never forget... :(

sal
16th September 2007, 18:41
What a tragic loss. It's always doubly hard to accept when someone who you have admired and respected from afar passes away in what appears to be totally cruel and slightly ironic circumstances somewhat removed from the way you kind of expected them to pass on.

Colin was in many ways a larger than life character, ok so his public persona wasnt always the most extrovert and I know people who still say that Alistair got all the charm! However Colin did probably more to heighten the popularity of rallying in this country and across the world than any other driver I can think of. One particular memory I have is going into a service station in the wilds of Corsica during the 98 Tour De Corse in my 555 Scooby t shirt to the welcome cry of " Colin McRae.!" and getting the thumbs from the owner!

I was extremely fortunate to win a Ford competition a few years ago the prize being a ride alongside CM thru the Ford test stage in an 02 Focus WRC (in fact I'm looking at the framed photo of me alongside the great man as I type this) Outside of the car you could tell that he didnt really want anything to do with the comp winners, however as soon as you got in the car he was a different person, happy to chat and joke. The following ride was a memory that will live with me for the rest of my life and I feel incredibly priveliged to have had this experience.

I would like to add my condolences to his family,friends and everyone who's life the man touched in whatever way. It's unlikley we will see his like again.

FIA
16th September 2007, 18:47
Hopefully he's up there with his Son, Johnny, and Richard and Michael.

R.I.P Colin, Today is one of the worst days in motorsport history and I send my condolences to his family.

Will L
16th September 2007, 18:55
I'm still pretty confused and gobsmacked by the whole thing and it was very sad to read about when I saw the news.

Especially on board were 2 kids aged 5 and 6, even sadder :(

My condolences to all family and friends.

Rest In Peace Colin McRae The Flying Scotsman.

N.O.T
16th September 2007, 18:59
For the ones that have seen MotoGP this afternoon:
Absolutely superb what Vale said after the race, and did on the startinggrid!

what did he say and did ??

gloomyDAY
16th September 2007, 19:06
I read the article last night over a helicopter crash at McRae's residence. There weren't any details and I was hoping that all was well.

How devastating! May Colin rest in peace.

Priorat
16th September 2007, 19:22
what did he say and did ??

Rossi: "First of all I want to dedicate this victory to Colin McRae, who sadly died yesterday. Colin is one of my idols from when I was very young and it's because of him that I have my passion for rally.
It's a very sad day for motorsport and I am glad that I could win for him today"

Daniel
16th September 2007, 19:29
I am glad someone remembered. The F1 seemed to almost entirely ignore it. How fitting that Rossi should win on this day.

Charlie
16th September 2007, 19:37
this is such a sad day. first richard burns and michael park and now mcrae it seems un-real. McRae was a brilliant driver and unfortunatly he couldn't finish of his career properly.

rovampera
16th September 2007, 19:38
I can't believe, I'm shocked..........Rally has lost a great driver but a great man also.
My condolences to his family.

Brother John
16th September 2007, 19:44
http://www.colinmcrae.com/condolences.asp

sal
16th September 2007, 19:46
I am glad someone remembered. The F1 seemed to almost entirely ignore it. How fitting that Rossi should win on this day.

Martin Brundle interviewed Coulthard (a friend of CM) on the grid and he claimed the whole paddock was in mourning so perhaps there is some soul still in F1...

Daniel
16th September 2007, 19:54
Yes but they otherwise ignored it largely

Roy
16th September 2007, 19:56
Ai Ai. My thoug McRae's wife, daugther and family. Offcourse the family of the other died passengers too.
Sad news.

torsten
16th September 2007, 20:12

Y@rk1K
16th September 2007, 20:20
May you rest in peace Colin...& all the best to the families

bryst
16th September 2007, 20:38
Still finding this tragedy hard to come to terms with. My hero gone forever. I'll miss you Col.

Robinho
16th September 2007, 20:41
i can only echo what everyone else is saying, a shockingly sad event, you will be sadly missed, thanks for the great memories you leave us ;(

Langdale Forest
16th September 2007, 20:45
R.I.P Colin
R.I.P Jonny, would he have been a future WRC champion?

Also R.I.P for the other 2 people involved.

klm-607
16th September 2007, 20:49
I'm just sick w/grief. This is so dreadful... he was an Icon to be sure.

grugsticles
16th September 2007, 20:51
As it is written on my personally signed poster...

"Flat Out!!!"

Always Col, Always :(

grugsticles
16th September 2007, 21:06
Id like to share a little poem that just came to me:

As I read the sad news I begin to cry,
I ask the lord the question of 'why?',
So many fans the world thoughout,
He's our hero, of that there is no doubt.

But as with all things that bless us all,
There come a time when the hero must fall,
The power, passion, the awe of a man so clever,
Shall not be forgotten... not now, not ever.

turves
16th September 2007, 21:08
Rest In Peace Colin, your son and the two other friends who passed away with you.

This is a true tragedy.

moondog
16th September 2007, 21:12
Did anyone else think it was disgraceful they sprayed the champagne on the F1 podium this afternoon?

many of the teams would have known Colin well.

M.C.Q
16th September 2007, 21:13
I have been a lifelong fan of Colin and it is such a loss to the world. He was a Legend and always will be a legend.
Rest In Peace Colin, a true champion.
Colin may be gone but he will never be forgotten, One of the best, one of the greatest rally drivers. I'll always remamber you.... ;(
Sincere condolences to the family.
;(

Helstar
16th September 2007, 21:19
RIP Colin, his son and the other two victims of this shocking tragedy

Y@rk1K
16th September 2007, 21:26
Touch 'em all bud...
http://tinyurl.com/ypesdd

Koz
16th September 2007, 21:32
http://www.banburyguardian.co.uk/news/Richards-in-helicopter-accident.3205445.jp
David Richards nearly crashed his helicopter too, it seems.

clayne
16th September 2007, 21:37
Looks like SWRT have a page up. This is nice to see:

http://www.swrt.com/news/viewarticle.html?id=1324

as also does Petter:

http://www.pettersolberg.no/article/news/2007/09/16/colin-mcrae-fryktes-død/

SubaruNorway
16th September 2007, 22:11
Looks like the condolences page has crashed http://www.colinmcrae.com/condolences.asp

gm99
16th September 2007, 22:25
I had the privilege of seeing Colin many times in Jyväskylä, always spectacular and always fast. My best memory of Colin is from 93 or 94 from 1000 lakes. I was watching the cars as they passed Jämsänkoski after some SS and went to service. I didn't had the radio so I didn't know that Colid had crashed on the stage before the service and he was really late.

First I heard something, then the noice was unbearable. Then I saw the Subaru. At was coming something like 200 kph in public road and it was totally wrecked, from the rear! Apparently Colin had crashed to a fence, backwards! But still, even that the car was totalled and he was awfully late, he didn't gave up. He never did.

Seems like Heikki Kovalainen shares your memories:

The first time I met him was the Rally Finland in 1995, when he rolled his Subaru twice.

I addition to Finnish guys, Carlos and Sebastian, Colin was one of the drivers that I really respected. I never got his autograph when I was a kid and I was really unhappy about it. Now I never will get it. :(

Heikki was luckier than you, though:

"I went to ask for his autograph, and I still have it."

As I said earlier, it's a tremendous loss not just to rallying, but to motorsports in general, and much sadder still with two children involved in the accident as well.

Sweetlamb95
16th September 2007, 22:31
Bye Colin,
thank you for many unforgetable moments, i enyoied every single second you passed by me in a rallye car.You will be deeply regretted by your fans all over the world.
My deepest condolences to the families of the victims of this tragical accident.I am really sad.

Tomi
16th September 2007, 23:26
big tragedy all in all

kiil
16th September 2007, 23:42
Looks like the condolences page has crashed http://www.colinmcrae.com/condolences.asp

It' working fine right now. Try refreshing the page and observe the amazing number of condolences getting posted. Right now it's almost one every 2 seconds!

s12impreza
17th September 2007, 01:32
I have alread siad RIP Colin But just had to make this.... its a tribute to a great man and has a brief history of Colin..

FrankenSchwinn
17th September 2007, 01:53
wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wt f?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf? wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wt f?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf? wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wt f?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf? wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wt f?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?wtf?v

that's just about what i'm feeling right now..... in case you are wondering it means: "what the fnck?" i know it's different but it's sort of when steve erwin died, it's like, it's not supposed to happen that way.. it's just one of these weird things, just not that way.

RallyCat909
17th September 2007, 02:03
Sometime ago I was watching the 1998 In-car compilation that had video with Richard and Colin as well. My favorite videos were always Colin and Richard for me not only becasue of the great driving, but that the notes were in english! It was a bit of a mellow day that day and I wanted to make a tune for when I went out driving on my favorite backroads. I just wanted to dedicate this little tune to Colin and Johnny in addition to Richard for how much these men have impacted my life. I really and truly cant tell how empty I feel right now.

One day in the late 90's I walked into a Blockbuster video here in Memphis, TN, USA to simply rent a movie and a game. As I was looking around, I saw a picture of a Subaru Impreza about 10ft in the air over a jump, and I remembered as a teenager seeing the old GrpB rallies that aired on ESPN. I took that game home and I remembered everything that I love about racing and car control was what this game and the man who inspired it was what it was all about. From that day 10 years ago, I have won (as a navigator to Eoin McGeough) a rally, and I have helped to make rallying and rallycross a known sport here in Memphis. This is how important Colin was to those that loved him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHQhaIuLeYw

P.S.

If anyone wants to rip the audio from this song for a video tribute, I would be honored. Just message me and I will send the file.

Rally Hokkaido
17th September 2007, 02:49
A tragic loss for all of us in rallying, worldwide.
His exploits behind the wheel will ensure that the Colin McRae legend will endure.
My sincere condolences to his family and those of the other victims.

Ranger
17th September 2007, 04:44
Words fail me. :(

RIP and condolences to all involved. :bigcry:

shurik
17th September 2007, 07:09
Still can't believe the news.. as if it's some sort of joke.. :(
Rest in peace, Colin

pino
17th September 2007, 07:33
The man I loved the most in Rallying has gone...still can't believe it :bigcry:

My condolence to his Family and Families of other victims.

spyros
17th September 2007, 07:34
Cant believe it,so sad,i have no words
R.I.P Colin

Bristecom
17th September 2007, 08:56
What a terrible tragedy. Colin was a rally legend, and in America, he was the figure of rallying. He worked so hard to boost the popularity of the sport here so this is just a stab in the heart for American rally fans. It's almost ironic or unfair that someone can die in such a way when they've spent their entire life on the brink of death. Rest in peace Colin Mcrae. You will be greatly missed. :bigcry: