PDA

View Full Version : the best damn drive of the year in my opinion

Blackburn Buccaneer
10th September 2007, 23:58
alonso,
mclaren gave him the car.
he got the setup right.
this champion was on a misiion from the beginning of the race weekend.
he got the job done, and no one had an answer for him.
this is what i've expected from alonso all along.
love him or not, he dominated this weekemd.

so, it's on. it's hamilton's turn to reply.
let's see if mclaren will be here next weekend.
it should be real fun going down to the wire.

markabilly
11th September 2007, 14:39
yeah....but he was soooo boooooooriiiingg...no bumps no passes no drama...good thing I taped the race........

F1MAN2007
11th September 2007, 14:50
yeah....but he was soooo boooooooriiiingg...no bumps no passes no drama...good thing I taped the race........

There were no monkey to pass!!! :D

F1MAN2007
11th September 2007, 14:54
Yeah, at least he proved to some Guys here why he is the WDC.

The Hungrian, Turkey and specially Monza were his best answer.

wedge
11th September 2007, 15:33
Drive of the year? No, I'd give that to LH's win at Indy or Hungary and even FA's win at Monaco.

FA has been a bit of a disappoint for me this year. He's let the pressure get to him and has made some questionable judgements such using the harder option tyre.

No doubt FA is great driver and answered his critics with a crushing victory but I was expecting to see a bit more of this kind of performance more frequently from the calibre of FA.

jens
11th September 2007, 18:29
Drive of the year? Actually as it's really hard to shine in F1 nowadays - most of the drivers consistently drive there, where the car belongs to and team-mates are quite evenly matched - then it's really hard to recall a truly outstanding performance this year. For example from 2006 we can say that Webber's drive at Monaco was truly exceptional. But haven't seen any 'unexplainable' performances in 2007. Therefore it's often quite hard even to nominate even the driver of a single race as many of the drivers perform well and on the limit of their machinery.

ioan
11th September 2007, 18:36
Yeah, at least he proved to some Guys here why he is the WDC.

The Hungrian, Turkey and specially Monza were his best answer.

Turkey?

You are perfectly adapted to the post 2003 F1 I think.

F1MAN2007
11th September 2007, 18:46
Turkey?

You are perfectly adapted to the post 2003 F1 I think.

Maybe you missed my point? Do you know why I said Turkey?

Mikeall
11th September 2007, 23:41
Best drive of the year so far was Heidfeld in Bahrain.

wedge
12th September 2007, 00:32

Turkey is one of a number of races where I would put question marks on FA.

He was criticised for qualifying and starting on the option tyre they had dire consequences because he had a poor start and was stuck behind Heidfeld in the first stint.

For sure, the option tyre was better suited to the McLarens over a long run but perhaps FA didn't have that much to lose on the softer prime tyre. After all, FA has previously mentioned the first few laps are some of the most important laps of GP

Blackburn Buccaneer
12th September 2007, 00:41
ladies and gents, i was thinking that alonso dominated monzo, all the way from testing to the checkered flag. Hence my opinion: he was the man that weekend. I can't remember anyone else on the grid doing it in the same manner this year. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Blackburn Buccaneer
12th September 2007, 00:49
my sentimental drive of the year was by alex wurz.

wmcot
12th September 2007, 06:49
ladies and gents, i was thinking that alonso dominated monzo, all the way from testing to the checkered flag. Hence my opinion: he was the man that weekend. I can't remember anyone else on the grid doing it in the same manner this year. Please correct me if i am wrong.

I have to agree with you as it being the most precise, faultless drive (and race weekend) of the year.

However, I prefer more exciting drives when I think of "drive of the year."

ioan
12th September 2007, 07:46

I must confess that I really don't see your point, even if I try.

Ranger
12th September 2007, 12:55
Drive of the year was Alonso at the Nurburgring in changing conditions. The lack of a tyre war provides less variables which can affect such drives, so IMO thats been the only great drive this year. The rest have been a tad ordinary.

Mikeall
13th September 2007, 21:58
To be fair Alonso was in the best car, his team mate is only a rookie, the next challenger broke down after 9 laps and his team mare had a sore neck after a massive crash 2 days earlier.

Best drive of the year though...

F1boat
14th September 2007, 07:57
Drive of the year was Alonso at the Nurburgring in changing conditions.

I agree!

jens
14th September 2007, 14:31
One of the very few truly outstanding performances in 2007, when a driver really seemed to drive incredibly well in his machinery, was I think Fisichella's drive at Monaco. A very underrated performance.

Rosberg in Canada also was on course for an amazing result as he was driving between (!) the Ferraris before the SC came out...

Osella
16th September 2007, 23:18
Well I think today that Sutil's performance was a candidate from drive of the season too! Apart from that I would say Heidfeld in Bahrain.

Valve Bounce
17th September 2007, 00:02
so, it's on. it's hamilton's turn to reply.
let's see if mclaren will be here next weekend.
it should be real fun going down to the wire.

He better check those e-mails from Pedro for an update. :rolleyes:

jens
1st October 2007, 11:35
Let's for a moment forget that one clumsy rookie error behind the Safety Car. If there is any performance from this season that I can rate as a truly incredible one, it has to be Vettel's drive at Fuji! On his 6th Grand Prix in F1, in podium contention... I can understand if a rookie is in podium contention in a McLaren or a Ferrari, even a BMW or Renault or Williams... but Toro Rosso? It's still hard to believe it.

In some way Vettel's rookie performance reminds Barrichello's start of the career - his 3rd race in F1, 3rd at Donington Park in an uncompetitive Jordan until retirement...

ShiftingGears
1st October 2007, 12:13
Definitely Mark Webber - didn't lose concentration and crash into anyone despite having chucked in his helmet during the 19 laps of safety car. Also he was faster than Hamilton before Alonso binned it. Drive of the year, for me.

Hondo
1st October 2007, 12:45
Thats a tough one for me. It's a choice between Webber today or Kovalainen today. I guess I have to go with Heikki. Although I didn't see it, I heard that sometime in the last laps Kimi actually got past Heikki for 2nd but Heikki took the place back. Plus, I think Heikki has finally shown that Fisichella is not as good as Fisichella thinks he is.

markabilly
1st October 2007, 13:25
Let's for a moment forget that one clumsy rookie error behind the Safety Car. If there is any performance from this season that I can rate as a truly incredible one, it has to be Vettel's drive at Fuji! On his 6th Grand Prix in F1, in podium contention... I can understand if a rookie is in podium contention in a McLaren or a Ferrari, even a BMW or Renault or Williams... but Toro Rosso? It's still hard to believe it.

In some way Vettel's rookie performance reminds Barrichello's start of the career - his 3rd race in F1, 3rd at Donington Park in an uncompetitive Jordan until retirement...
Yes really great---crashes into FA that RD says damaged the car causing it to be uncontrollable, passes under the yellow...gets to the top due to the usual confusion of safety car and pitstops in the rain...perhaps helped by a certain decision as to when to pit FA, (took an awful long time and then gets dumped into the middle behind that pack of cars, unlike the Hamster stop....) :rolleyes:
and do I need mention that crash into webber...oh I see you already mentioned that.....

the guy he passed under the yellow deserves it more--AS......

Flat.tyres
1st October 2007, 13:46
Well, LH owned the weekend without a shadow of a doubt and this was probably his best win to date but he has had so many great drives that although he probably deserves it, I think recognition for some of the others is deserved.

Kubica and Vettel were impressive but kind of ruled themselves out. If Vettel had of finished, he would have probably got my7 award.

Again, desperatly unlucky for Mark. What has this boy to do to get a good result. Problem is, he didn't finish through no though of his own. Would any top team want this Jonah's luck running for them?

Couple of other mentions like DC etc and Button did really well to qualify where he did. The further this season goes, the more he stands head and shoulders above the Honda. How much longer will he be wasted there?

The award though must go to Heikki. Well done Renault and HK is starting to show the promise we thought he had.

jens
1st October 2007, 19:06
Yes really great---crashes into FA that RD says damaged the car causing it to be uncontrollable, passes under the yellow...gets to the top due to the usual confusion of safety car and pitstops in the rain...perhaps helped by a certain decision as to when to pit FA, (took an awful long time and then gets dumped into the middle behind that pack of cars, unlike the Hamster stop....) :rolleyes:
and do I need mention that crash into webber...oh I see you already mentioned that.....

the guy he passed under the yellow deserves it more--AS......

What? Passed under yellows? Why wasn't he penalized with a drive through and why hasn't anyone else noticed it? :p : What confusion with the SC? He was 3rd quite shortly after the 19-lap-long SC session. You are doing everything to belittle his performance in that particular race.

ioan
1st October 2007, 19:28

Completely agree with you, dragging that STR up to 3rd before that crash shows he's an exceptional talent.

BDunnell
1st October 2007, 19:51
What? Passed under yellows? Why wasn't he penalized with a drive through and why hasn't anyone else noticed it? :p : What confusion with the SC? He was 3rd quite shortly after the 19-lap-long SC session. You are doing everything to belittle his performance in that particular race.

Unfortunately, it is clear that a lot of people are unable to see things for what they actually are. I wonder sometimes whether certain people actually really like F1 and appreciate it to any degree beyond partisanship.

King Stromba
1st October 2007, 20:06
Drive of the year in my view was Winklehock in Germany. Something i will never forget.

BDunnell
1st October 2007, 20:07
Drive of the year in my view was Winklehock in Germany. Something i will never forget.

Yes, that was wonderful!

ShiftingGears
2nd October 2007, 00:40
Yes, that was wonderful!

That moment had me burst out laughing. Definitely a great grand prix moment :D