PDA

View Full Version : Grrrr wirelss

speedy king
9th September 2007, 13:16
Just got a new laptop and trying to get it on to our wireless connection, entered the WEP key and it connects then instantly disconnects saying WLAN failed??? And sais my saved settings do not agree with that of the Livebox and keeps giving me computer jargin, i'm not THAT computer literate and get a headache just reading the 'Help' button. Is anyone able to give me a dumb asses guide?? By the way...people will hate this....it's Vista..

It connected at McDonalds fine :s

Daniel
9th September 2007, 13:42
What "jargon" does it give? Pull the power out of the router, power down the PC and re-enter the WEP key. First thing you should do.

Dave B
9th September 2007, 15:03
There's a known bug with Vista having wireless connection problems coming out of hibernation.

If that's your problem, check you've got these updates installed. In fact, install them anyway! :p

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938979
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938194

Daniel
9th September 2007, 15:07
Or set the adaptor not to power save :)

Daniel
9th September 2007, 15:17
Can't believe I didn't mention what Dave mentioned :mark: Vista has problems with any network adaptor coming out of hibernation. If you just set power saving to a minimum it should be fine.

speedy king
9th September 2007, 16:57
Thanks, i'll take a look at how i adjust this power saving and if that dosent work somehow im going to have to get that update on my computer...maybe a trip to the local mcdonalds to connect to theres :p :

Daniel
9th September 2007, 17:02
if it's anything to do with the power simply shutting down the laptop and powering it up will sort it.

speedy king
9th September 2007, 17:14
One moment it asks me for the WEP key, put that in exactly as it is, still wont connect, and now it wants 'security key or passphrase' well iknow our password but that dosent work....ahhhh.

Also i cant find this power saving device i need to switch off?

speedy king
9th September 2007, 17:15
if it's anything to do with the power simply shutting down the laptop and powering it up will sort it.

It can't be that then as i've been trying to connect the last few days... :s

Daniel
9th September 2007, 17:16
right click on the background for power saving settings. Can you not connect with a lan cable and change the WEP password?

tinchote
9th September 2007, 18:55
Something that could be tricky with the WEP key is that the wording is not that standard: and a "passphrase" is not the same as the "WEP key". The safest thing is to have the setting to use the WEP key directly (hexadecimal bytes, usually 13) and avoid passphrases, as the latter have to be converted on the former and the algorithm is not completely standard.

Spoonbender
10th September 2007, 13:36
If youre sure you have the correct wep key, then connect a cable to the router, login, go to wireless setup and change the channel id. set it to 1 or 14 save the settings and try again to connect.