PDA

View Full Version : Townsend Bell on SpeedTV

grantb4
8th September 2007, 21:41
Is doing a great job I think. Best Speed coverage of the year in my opinion. Maybe he's not too colorful, but his knowledge of the driver in the cockpit and on the track is fantastic. I hope he gets a full time gig on TV. Him and Matchett and Peter Windsor are all really good. Now just plug in Varsha or Hobbs or whoever to anchor it, and we're good to go.

I'm still preferring the ITV coverage because I like Brundle et al, but Speed really jumped up a lot this weekend. ITV really has to get rid of that opening graphic. Terrible.

Tazio
9th September 2007, 04:14
Is doing a great job I think. Best Speed coverage of the year in my opinion. Maybe he's not too colorful, but his knowledge of the driver in the cockpit and on the track is fantastic. I hope he gets a full time gig on TV. Him and Matchett and Peter Windsor are all really good. Now just plug in Varsha or Hobbs or whoever to anchor it, and we're good to go.

I'm still preferring the ITV coverage because I like Brundle et al, but Speed really jumped up a lot this weekend. ITV really has to get rid of that opening graphic. Terrible.
Bell also did the Canadian GP for Speed several years ago. I was very impressed at the time! He came across very humble, smooth, knowledgeable, concise, and funny. I think he is top shelf!

dutchmnofdoom
9th September 2007, 16:53
HE certainly is better as a commentator than behind the wheel of a racing car... I agree that he is quite a package in the booth. I wonder if SPEED would ever consider having all 4 guys there! haha
-Cody

N. Jones
9th September 2007, 16:56

He was VERY informative during the race and was even more so during yesterday's qualifying. While I do like D. Hobbs I think Townsend was an excellent stand in and I would love to hear him again!

Kevincal
9th September 2007, 20:06
Sorry to say, but Townsend is much better than Hobbs... Although Hobbs is much funnier, Townsend is such a great speaker and better overall I think... I don't think he stuttered once all weekend.

nigelred5
9th September 2007, 23:53
I agree, Townsend adds a good, current drivers' perspective to the booth, but I kind of missed Hobbs' goofiness. The broadcast was a little more calm this morning. Either way I love Varsha and Matchett. I love Matchetts' strategic analysis and technical insight.

truefan72
10th September 2007, 02:20
I agree, Townsend adds a good, current drivers' perspective to the booth, but I kind of missed Hobbs' goofiness. The broadcast was a little more calm this morning. Either way I love Varsha and Matchett. I love Matchetts' strategic analysis and technical insight.

couldn't have said it better

Kevincal
10th September 2007, 05:20
Matchett can sometimes make me tired/bored/uninterested with his long, technical rants... :D Sometimes it's cool though. :P

seppefan
10th September 2007, 16:35
I watched F1 on SPEED when I was in Vegas for the ChampCar race. Peter Windsor was excellent and I noticed him yesterday when watching the drivers come up the steps to go to the podium. PW was in with Kimi, Alonso getting the story. most impressive.

Wilderness
10th September 2007, 17:55
Bell did a very professional job and I, for one, did not miss Hobbs' sometimes biased views.

wmcot
11th September 2007, 07:02
Bell is a breath of fresh air! Very good perspective on which to base his commentary. Hobbs can be good but occasionally drifts into "outer silliness."

Blackburn Buccaneer
11th September 2007, 07:20
Bell did a very professional job and I, for one, did not miss Hobbs' sometimes biased views.

he was kind of wry.