PDA

View Full Version : What's the appeal of the segmented quali?

Erki
8th September 2007, 10:40
After F1 implemented the 3-period quali procedure, some other series have adopted it as well: DTM, V8, also Super GT is going to try it...

What's the point? Less cars on track at time? 22 is not so much is it really? If it really is that much, why not split the quali into 2, not 3 segments? And top 10 gets into the last segment. And both segments are 30 minutes long - long enough to do quite a few meaningful laps. And long enough to find a clear lap too. And scrap that race fuel nonsense too - let them go flat out.

I still prefer the old 1 hour and 12 laps style qualification format...

Or just make sure Fred and Louis qualify separately. :p

ShiftingGears
8th September 2007, 10:57
I think I'd prefer it if it was just one hour, no race fuel qualifying like it used to be, rather than FIA wanting me to have ACTION ACTION ACTION!! all the time. Race fuel quali is a bit contrived, and race strategy has no place in qualifying. IMO

Mark
8th September 2007, 11:58
Qual is the best it has been for years. Just get rid of the race fuel.

ChrisS
8th September 2007, 12:09
the 1 hour 12 laps with cars having fuel for just 3 laps and qualifying tyres was the best for the sport

it wasnt the best for the business however, the way qualifying is now every team gets some exposure, first 15 minutes bottom teams are on TV, next 15 minutes midfield teams are on TV, final 15 minutes, top teams are on TV

tinchote
8th September 2007, 12:35
Qual is the best it has been for years. Just get rid of the race fuel.

I have to assume that's the case if they keep it that way (Bernie knows his business, doesn't he?).

Personally, I used to get up very excited for the old 12 lap format. For the last few years I have stopped setting the alarm clock, and this year I started to switch channels so boring it was.

tinchote
8th September 2007, 13:56
Qualy is on now at Monza and we could see an example of how the current system distort results. In the first session, RS was half a tenth slower than his teammate JT: RS was cut, JT improves in the second session and so JT ends up 9 spots ahead. Of course what people will see (and use in the "bash Ralf" thread ;) ) will be the 9 places in the grid, not the half a tenth. While I still think that RS deserves the boot, the current system is distorting results badly.

Then you have the fuel loads in the 3rd Q :mad: , but we have the other thread for that :)

Erki
8th September 2007, 14:21
Ah come on, the rules are the same for everyone... :dozey:

wedge
8th September 2007, 14:22
Never like the 1hr format, nothing happened usually for the first 15/20mins.

Qualy should be half hour long, IMHO, or go back to single lap qualy. With the current aero regs I'd be happy for anything that will spice up the grid a bit and make the race a bit unpredictable and a bit more overtaking.

grantb4
8th September 2007, 21:50
I like this format except for the fuel burn bit. They should be able to do Q3 with whatever fuel load they like.

jens
8th September 2007, 22:50
Many people used to complain about that one-hour-long session that it was boring during the first 30 minutes. But I enjoyed that time, when no-one was on the track during the first 10 minutes. It's the first live F1 coverage of the weekend and TV commentators have some time to talk about the news and F1's background. Also a bit time for the spectator to just relax and prepare for the action. And it was fun looking some guys sleeping like they were not going to do any fast laps that day. :p : At the moment everyone is highly concentrated at the start of the 15 minutes.

Sleeper
8th September 2007, 22:50
What I hated about the old 1hour/ 12 laps format was that we had to wait for 30 minutes or more before anyone took to the track with the commentatores rambeling on with not much to say. The only problem with the current system is the fuel burn, it Q3 should be like 1 and 2.

Viktory
8th September 2007, 23:09
Q1 and Q2 should be kept as they are. Q3 should be a one-lap shootout with the 10 cars, one car at a time, and running on fumes practically. That's how I would like to see it.

nigelred5
9th September 2007, 23:49
Q1 and Q2 should be kept as they are. Q3 should be a one-lap shootout with the 10 cars, one car at a time, and running on fumes practically. That's how I would like to see it.

I could like that.

They did announce this week that the fuel burn is gone for next year but everything else remains the same.

Sleeper
10th September 2007, 00:25
I could like that.

They did announce this week that the fuel burn is gone for next year but everything else remains the same.
I dont think I would, I like seeing the top drivers trying to raise the bar every time they go out, some of the best qualy sessions have been from drivers tradeing fastest laps several times in the last 10 minutes.

jso1985
10th September 2007, 00:26
I liked the single lap qualy, I know race-fuel killed the whole idea anyway, but honestly I find this format dread boring, it only gets exciting in the final minute

Rollo
10th September 2007, 00:36
I remember in the bad old days of the 1hr qualifying session and seeing at the British GP at Silverstone the Colonis, Osellas and Minardis come out at the beginning of the session; complete their single lap and then go back in.

For nearly 40 minutes of the session we had literally no-one on track at all.
Prost, Senna, Mansell & Berger all did an out-lap, a flying lap and an in-lap and qualified 1-2-3-4.

How excitement ten hundred tasty-doo :rolleyes:

truefan72
10th September 2007, 02:16
its the best system out there...except for the fuel burn