PDA

View Full Version : Fuji and Suzuka to rotate Japanese GP from 2009

Ranger
8th September 2007, 10:26
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/62143

Fuji and Suzuka to share Japanese GP

Saturday, September 8th 2007, 08:23 GMT

The Japanese Grand Prix is to alternate between the Fuji and Suzuka circuits from 2009.

Fuji has replaced Suzuka as the venue for Formula One's Japanese round this season, and will retain the race next year before the alternating arrangement commences.

"We have concluded an agreement on the alternation of the Formula One Japanese Grand Prix between Fuji Speedway and Suzuka circuit, to ensure the progress and success of keeping Formula One in Japan over the long term," said Bernie Ecclestone in an official statement.

"I appreciate that Fuji Speedway accepted this and am very happy that Fuji Speedway and Suzuka circuit made this possible.

"It also makes me very pleased that we will retain Suzuka as it has supported Formula One for 20 years."

Suzuka had been keen to regain a position on the calendar after losing its date to Fuji, and there had previously been suggestions that the Pacific Grand Prix title would be revived so that Suzuka could return as a second Japanese race.

A Fuji statement said the circuit agreed that the date-sharing arrangement was the best solution.

"As a result of an extensive review of the matter, Fuji Speedway accepted FOA's proposal on basis that it coincides with Fuji Speedway's goal to further expand the horizon of F1, continue in helping promote the advancement of Japan's motor sport scene, and uphold the trend of one country hosting one grand prix a year," the statement said.

The heavily revised Fuji circuit will host its first Japanese GP in 30 years on 30 September.

Great news IMO. :D

Dave B
8th September 2007, 12:32
Until I've seen a modern F1 race at Fuji, I'll reserve judgement, but it will have to be pretty darn special to match up to Suzuka.

I wonder if this will set a precident for some of the other circuits Bernie isn't so fond of? Silverstone 2009, Mangy Cours 2010?

jonny hurlock
8th September 2007, 12:42
great to see suzuka back for 2009

VkmSpouge
8th September 2007, 15:48
At least Suzuka will make its way back onto the calendar.

stevie_gerrard
8th September 2007, 18:27
exactly, it was important we didnt lose out on such a brilliant race like Suzuka most often is.

jso1985
10th September 2007, 01:54
would have liked to have Suzuka back every year but this is way better than nothing! :up:

truefan72
10th September 2007, 02:06
would have liked to have Suzuka back every year but this is way better than nothing! :up:

yes well said