PDA

View Full Version : BTCC 2007 - rumours (merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

tdb
5th February 2007, 20:03
2 cars were sold last year to a uk buyer.
BUT, They were NOT for the UK!!!!!

captin 1 VXR
5th February 2007, 20:15
also dose anyone know what Rickard Rydell up to ??

Captain VXR
5th February 2007, 20:20
2 cars were sold last year to a uk buyer.
BUT, They were NOT for the UK!!!!!

That clears it up then :up:

Captain VXR
5th February 2007, 20:21
also dose anyone know what Rickard Rydell up to ??

Probably Aston in GT Racing or Honda WTCC depending on who you beleive.

captin 1 VXR
5th February 2007, 20:24
thats why he moved back to oxford then :D

Captain VXR
5th February 2007, 20:38
Banbury [Prodrive, Triple 8] isn't far from Oxford.

Winchester
5th February 2007, 21:06
A lot of teams are close to Oxford. Seat is in Northampton. VXR is there. I would eat my hat if Rydell ever turned up in the BTCC again. Although it would be amazing if he did.

100%hondafan
6th February 2007, 00:32
i would love to see rydell back he was ace in the volvo! and would like to see him in a volvo once more

Ed
6th February 2007, 12:29
didnt he admit once that he was close to signing a deal with MG ifor the 2003 season. I remebr he saying something about the car and the good chaissie, and Im sure it wasn't warren hughes before anyone asks

tdb
6th February 2007, 19:31
If he's still waiting for that deal to come off 4 years later, maybe someone should tell him that they went bust a long time ago!

captin 1 VXR
6th February 2007, 20:28
If he's still waiting for that deal to come off 4 years later, maybe someone should tell him that they went bust a long time ago!

funny rover and mg are to start building cars again ( kit form in the uk ) :eek:

omg maybe cha chin bing bang automotive or what ever thay are called going racing in btcc in btc cars :eek: .... please not this is ball and just sounded good at the time i posted it :rolleyes:

mattie007
6th February 2007, 22:58
funny rover and mg are to start building cars again ( kit form in the uk ) :eek:

omg maybe cha chin bing bang automotive or what ever thay are called going racing in btcc in btc cars :eek: .... please not this is ball and just sounded good at the time i posted it :rolleyes:

Firstly, its just MG that are restarting production at Longbridge, firstly with the TF, then the ZT. And, they are hardly kit cars, they will be built on a production line with former MGR employees.

MG and Rover are now seperate companies, MG is owned by Nanjing and Rover is owned by Ford.
SAIC have only bought design rights to some of the old Rover range.
Its confusing, but please get your facts right.

Nanjing are seriously interested in MG's history and in particular the racing side of things. Don't count out a return in the not to distant future.

Robinho
7th February 2007, 12:57
its all gone very quiet on the rumours front, i can't see us getting much more confirmed now before the media day.

hopefully we may get more updates from teams we know are working on cars for this year, but can anyone actually see any new teams cropping up before the 1st race, even after the rumours on Clyde Valley, GR Asia etc etc.

plus no new news on Pinkney/Marsh, Kartworld, MG's.

anyone out there got any leads?

Captain VXR
7th February 2007, 17:06
Elgh Motorsport from Sweden have their car in the UK and it's for sale after RAC used it at Autosport

Captain VXR
7th February 2007, 17:12
Online translation. Yes the agrees. The is in England. First on Birmingham M-show [Autosport]. Elgh Motorsport is where now for physicals [testing] and the [car] perhaps stays where has for gone [England]. The [car]; exists [a] few [potential buyers]; for sale and more spekulanter presently. /Calle

Piesjohn
7th February 2007, 18:25
Firstly, its just MG that are restarting production at Longbridge, firstly with the TF, then the ZT. And, they are hardly kit cars, they will be built on a production line with former MGR employees.

MG and Rover are now seperate companies, MG is owned by Nanjing and Rover is owned by Ford.
SAIC have only bought design rights to some of the old Rover range.
Its confusing, but please get your facts right.

Nanjing are seriously interested in MG's history and in particular the racing side of things. Don't count out a return in the not to distant future.

Well they plan to re-launch the MG brand commercially in July if thats any help..... Read it in Marketing press few months ago as the Dutch receiver still owns rights to use the brand (well still did).

Robinho
7th February 2007, 18:26
i did not see the Matt Jackson thing coming, yet again it seems the real entries just appear whilst the heavily rumoured stuff tends to just disappear, although not in all cases.

good to see him make the grid, interesting how many BMWs are appearing now given the conventional wisdom that they won't work in the UK - i think maybe this season that myth may be blown away, or there will be a lot of head scratching as to why they don't go well on UK tracks

tisme
7th February 2007, 18:57
i did not see the Matt Jackson thing coming,

It was talked about at the Autosport show!

Ur not a salmon
7th February 2007, 18:59
Not everyones an insider or a know it all........

tin-top fan
7th February 2007, 19:00
interesting how many BMWs are appearing now given the conventional wisdom that they won't work in the UK - i think maybe this season that myth may be blown away, or there will be a lot of head scratching as to why they don't go well on UK tracks

If they don't run amazingally, maybe we'll end up seeing a lot of Bmw's in the middle of the field. Also- Geoff Steel Racing: How do people think they'll go against these new beemers?

tisme
7th February 2007, 19:15
Not everyones an insider or a know it all........

It's been mentioned on here a couple of times...

The problem is there are too many people posting rubbish on here, making it is hard to tell what is and what isn't true!

Robinho
7th February 2007, 20:24
It was talked about at the Autosport show!

i wasn't there though ;)

i had seen plenty about Matt Jacksson and his winnings from the Seat Cupras but nothing conclusive linking him to a drive and i certainly didn't expect him to crop up like this, rather him be linked with various seats and eventually find his way onto the grid.

Robinho
7th February 2007, 20:29
If they don't run amazingally, maybe we'll end up seeing a lot of Bmw's in the middle of the field. Also- Geoff Steel Racing: How do people think they'll go against these new beemers?

by deafult you needn't do badly in a BMW as there are so many of them to race against if your in one. i personally don't believe they are as bad as we've been led to believe over the last couple of years. a good racing car doesn't suddenly become a bad one, although i do agree that perhaps they aren't at their best on some UK circuits.

i expect WSR to get a lot from the BMW and be pretty competitive, maybe a couple of the others too.

as for GSR and Martyn Bell i hope they show better than last year, i would hope last year they spent learning the car and the cahmpionship and that experience should see them move up the grid.

like you i do expect the midfield to be packed with BMWs, not the class of the field, but will beat some of the privateers, and most of the BTC crowd, on a normal day

tyreman2
8th February 2007, 00:00
by deafult you needn't do badly in a BMW as there are so many of them to race against if your in one. i personally don't believe they are as bad as we've been led to believe over the last couple of years. a good racing car doesn't suddenly become a bad one, although i do agree that perhaps they aren't at their best on some UK circuits.

i expect WSR to get a lot from the BMW and be pretty competitive, maybe a couple of the others too.

as for GSR and Martyn Bell i hope they show better than last year, i would hope last year they spent learning the car and the cahmpionship and that experience should see them move up the grid.

like you i do expect the midfield to be packed with BMWs, not the class of the field, but will beat some of the privateers, and most of the BTC crowd, on a normal day
I don't think you can use Martin Bells performances(or Lack of) as a yardstick
All 3 of the 2007 BMW drivers are in a different class,WSR will have a lot of help from schnitzer and i am sure that the Jackson's won't spend half the season messing with the suspension only to return to the original set-up!

Captain VXR
8th February 2007, 08:33
I don't think you can use Martin Bells performances(or Lack of) as a yardstick
All 3 of the 2007 BMW drivers are in a different class,WSR will have a lot of help from schnitzer and i am sure that the Jackson's won't spend half the season messing with the suspension only to return to the original set-up!

I wonder if the Jacksons and RAC will share set-up data or even work together like the RAC/Kartworld set-up this year.

captin 1 VXR
8th February 2007, 08:57
i don t think jackson would help with set up as he realy wants the championship :s mokin: . and with the ex wtcc car he could be onto a winner :D

The mad monk
8th February 2007, 09:32
captain 1 vxr:CORRECT.
give away info that has just cost a considerable amount? no way.
want to WIN

captin 1 VXR
8th February 2007, 09:38
mad monk ..
i say the only time u give info away if both teams were over 1.5 sec off the pace then maybe u try to work out what it is thats wrong but normaly only give away 1/2 the info u need to ...

we did this with the astra gsi we ran in nscc . . but we were both one car team and we only gave away a little info we needed .

Ed
8th February 2007, 10:16
have I missed something?? has Matt Jackon got a car for 2007??

captin 1 VXR
8th February 2007, 10:18
jackson got andys bmw wtcc 06 car

Pilfp
8th February 2007, 10:26
Whose cars have WSR got?

Northern Monkey
8th February 2007, 10:29
WSR have new builds

Alfa Fan
8th February 2007, 10:47
Autosport today reports that Clyde Valley Racing will enter a Chevrolet Lacetti for Dan Eaves in the BTCC this year.

The team are in the process of finalising their commercial partnerships for the year and a formula announcement of the program is imminent.

100%hondafan
8th February 2007, 11:06
i still cant see this clyde valley thing coming off there has been so much talk about it.

cos
8th February 2007, 11:22
Autosport today reports that Clyde Valley Racing will enter a Chevrolet Lacetti for Dan Eaves in the BTCC this year.

The team are in the process of finalising their commercial partnerships for the year and a formula announcement of the program is imminent.

I think the words used were "still aiming to enter" - nothing set in stone yet at all!

Alfa Fan
8th February 2007, 11:26
Oops, should have made clear that Autosport isn't my only source.

Captain VXR
8th February 2007, 11:59
Only one Chevrolet then?

captin 1 VXR
8th February 2007, 12:23
Whose cars have WSR got?
new s2000 cars but in kit form :D :D ..

captin 1 VXR
8th February 2007, 12:27
Only one Chevrolet then?

still funny dan has not come out and said what the hell is this guy on . :confused:

if i was dan and the guy was saying i was driving for him . and i was not i say to press i don t have a drive . that way any team looking for a driver would look at him :dozey:

VkmSpouge
8th February 2007, 12:47

I'll believe it when I see Eaves driving a TCVR Chevy.

Captain VXR
8th February 2007, 13:11
Same, I was asking if only one they aim to enter. If Dan Eaves enters in a CVR Chevrolet Lacetti, I'll soil my pants and eat the whole lot :p

VkmSpouge
8th February 2007, 13:34
Same, I was asking if only one they aim to enter. If Dan Eaves enters in a CVR Chevrolet Lacetti, I'll soil my pants and eat the whole lot :p

Be careful what you say, someone last year said they would run through their town naked if Super Aguri were on the grid at the 2006 Bahrain Grand Prix...

captin 1 VXR
8th February 2007, 13:50

dan if u read this u got to put u own money into the team :eek: ..

so captain VXR soils his pants and eats them :D :D

Robinho
8th February 2007, 14:15
the fact that they are still trying to whip up interest through the media, despite only "still intending to enter", as well as having commercial partnerships to finalise indicates to me that they still don't have the sponsorship/funding in place to get on the grid and that they are trying to keep interest up in order to help get that final commercial partnership.

i'd love to see Dan in the Chevrolet this season, but the longer the hype continues with little or no actual confirmed details the less i am inclined to believe it will happen

tisme
8th February 2007, 14:39
I'm surprised Dan hasn't signed for another team by now.

Captain VXR
8th February 2007, 14:50

so captain VXR soils his pants and eats them

Oi, we want that less likely to happen :p . Dan Eaves, if you are reading this please join West Suffolk Racing in a second 1-Series as that's far more likely to happen and I won't have to eat **** :D .
BTW, Captin 1 VXR, if Clyde Valley do not enter Brands Hatch 1st BTCC round I challenge you to soil you pants and eat them http://www.driftworks.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/wack.gif

captin 1 VXR
8th February 2007, 17:54
tech speed to run 2 astra vxr s for turkish team Arkas Racing for the turkish guy that came over last year and one brit in the other car :eek:

Ian McC
8th February 2007, 18:55

so captain VXR soils his pants and eats them :D :D

He is a member on here so you never know your luck.

Captain VXR
8th February 2007, 19:11
He is a member on here so you never know your luck.
Check my post out Ian McC and Dan Eaves

Oi, we want that less likely to happen :p . Dan Eaves, if you are reading this please join West Suffolk Racing in a second 1-Series as that's far more likely to happen and I won't have to eat **** :D .
BTW, Captin 1 VXR, if Clyde Valley do not enter Brands Hatch 1st BTCC round I challenge you to soil you pants and eat them http://www.driftworks.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/wack.gif
I want to be the supreme Captain VXR by proving Captin 1 VXR wrong. Sorry mate, you have to earn respect of your elder VXR Captains before you can rule this forum's posts about touring cars and Vauxhall. You've earnt it though so I challenge you to a KTCC (Keyboard Typing Captain Championship) Same dates as the BTCC AND WTCC. Media day booked here for March 13 :D

Iain
8th February 2007, 19:15
He hasn't posted in nearly 3 years mind you. And he was using the computer at VLR to post back then! :s

captin 1 VXR
8th February 2007, 19:18
Check my post out Ian McC and Dan Eaves

I want to be the supreme Captain VXR by proving Captin 1 VXR wrong. Sorry mate, you have to earn respect of your elder VXR Captains before you can rule this forum's posts about touring cars and Vauxhall. You've earnt it though so I challenge you to a KTCC (Keyboard Typing Captain Championship) Same dates as the BTCC AND WTCC. Media day booked here for March 13 :D

what and miss out on all the sexy ladys on the beach topless all summer :eek: :D waiting for some1 to buy them a nice cool drink ;)

Captain VXR
8th February 2007, 20:05
Are you prepared to make the ultimate sacrifice ^^^ for supremacy?

tdb
8th February 2007, 20:37
As of yesterday, there is only 1 new build for a customer from RML, guess who it is for?...............

Yep, NOT CVR!!!!!!

Captain VXR
8th February 2007, 20:56
Who then?

tdb
8th February 2007, 21:00
Mauer.

tintin
8th February 2007, 22:30
He hasn't posted in nearly 3 years mind you. And he was using the computer at VLR to post back then! :s

I wonder where that computer is now?

Ur not a salmon
9th February 2007, 00:13
i can confirm i have been at the shakedown test for clyde vallys green chevy today. here is a pic that i managed to take sneakily.

http://i5.tinypic.com/309pq42.jpg

tin-top fan
9th February 2007, 00:50
So if there has only been one new build- and this was for Mauer, this would explain why Mauer was selling one of their 2005 spec cars. Maybe this could be the one that Clyde Valley want? (or have ?)

captin 1 VXR
9th February 2007, 06:32
I wonder where that computer is now?

broken up for info :eek: of hard drive

captin 1 VXR
10th February 2007, 08:01
Clyde Valley Racing web site not working today :eek: .
so its not going to happen or we will have a working site next week :dozey:

Ian McC
10th February 2007, 09:59

Drivers don't tend to last too long on here, which is a shame but at some points you can't blame them.

reidy_fan
10th February 2007, 10:21
i can confirm i have been at the shakedown test for clyde vallys green chevy today. here is a pic that i managed to take sneakily.

http://i5.tinypic.com/309pq42.jpg

PMSL

Iain
10th February 2007, 11:49
Drivers don't tend to last too long on here, which is a shame but at some points you can't blame them.

Yes tell me about it. Used to be fine in the early days when they were shown a bit of respect (well except for Mr Thompson, eh Funks? ;) ), but people are so quick to criticise and bash these days, they don't waste their time. And if you have a go at these people, they come out with the "it's a free country", "it's my opinion and I'm entitled to it" rubbish.

But that's going way off topic. :)

Radders
10th February 2007, 12:12
If you lok on the Green Motorsport website you'll see the comment that the Chevvy's won't race till the end of the season.

While I'm not sure what your background is tdb (you're going to say i work for RML I bet!), but if the above is accurate a customer wouldn't need to place an order yet any way to debut a new chassis at the end of the season and even if CVR have ordered, RML are hardly going to publicise how many cars they've sold before the team running them confirms their plans!
I've just set my self up and will happyily(sp?!) be proved wrong, but at the moment people seem to be making decsions about the team's plans without possession of the full facts. We all know a handy sponsorship deal can change circumstances pretty quickly. I'd really like to see this project come off.

tdb
10th February 2007, 16:47
True Radders, a team wouldn't need a car or cars yet if they only intend doing the last round.

No i don't work for RML.

RML have not publicised anything about any of the cars they build for others publicity is not included in the price.

I also hope CVR happens, but at present the "facts" that i am in possesion of suggest very differrent!

tin-top fan
10th February 2007, 17:30
after looking on the green motorsport website, where does it actually say anything about them only entering towards the end of the season?

captin 1 VXR
10th February 2007, 17:31
after looking on the green motorsport website, where does it actually say anything about them only entering towards the end of the season?

i think the way i read it was ment to be end off 2006 :rolleyes:

PDS
10th February 2007, 17:38
i think the way i read it was ment to be end off 2006 :rolleyes:
And that exactly the amount of time people on this forum have been talking and arguing about them....

What's the chance of waiting for official confirmation on them entering the BTCC and carrying on by talking about someone else?

captin 1 VXR
10th February 2007, 17:46
i know what u saying but in last 4 weeks cvr has been in lots of press pushing . and unless he wants to look a prat with all the good press he should have it sorted or not be press hopping and hopeing

cookingfat
10th February 2007, 18:46
With Iains suggestion.. Arkas Racing confusion.

The interview on Crash.net says only two cars!

http://www.crash.net/news_view~t~Arkas-Racing-confirms-BTCC-campaign-~cid~10~id~142972.htm

tin-top fan
10th February 2007, 19:13
I would expect that Paul is in contention for this drive, after all he does seem to have strong links with Techspeed/ Triple 8. Could Smith be inline for this drive as well though? Surely the links he has with VXR ( and the budget he presumably has) give him the seat?

Also, i've just noticed that Xero Competition seem to have updated their website ( http://www.xero-competition.com/cms/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1 ) recently. It says about them entering the BTCC last season, but makes no reference to this season.......could this mean we may not see them returning?

tdb
10th February 2007, 19:23
The Xero website is currently undergoing a major revamp.

Only 100% Confirmed stuff is on there at present.

Deals are being done and several tests are coming up which should see both lexus is200's on track this year.

When it becomes official, i'm sure the driver/s will give you all plenty to talk about!

tisme
10th February 2007, 19:39
I heard Adam Jones will be driving for Xero again in 2007..

Captain VXR
10th February 2007, 19:47
And that exactly the amount of time people on this forum have been talking and arguing about them....

What's the chance of waiting for official confirmation on them entering the BTCC and carrying on by talking about someone else?

I agree PDS, let's not bicker about them until some NEWS about them happens, not just the same 4 month old of people stupidly speculating them to be the revelation of 2007 even though no cars, money and drivers.

dwracing23
10th February 2007, 21:02

Sorry to say but your source is incorrect, he won't be driving for Xero in 07 as deals are nearly in place to race in a competitive car and for a team with plenty of "Touring car" experience.

VkmSpouge
10th February 2007, 22:40
Yeah, Jones did say on an interview with crash.net he was not going to be driving with Xero but hopefully moving up the grid with another team.

mattie007
11th February 2007, 00:38
Any truth in this?:

On the eve of the latest round of the BTCC at Knockhill, Renault confirmed that Kartworld team boss Jason Hughes was one of the latest batch of potential entrants, having put down a deposit for a single car entry for next season.

Alfa Fan
11th February 2007, 00:41
Yes, Jason Hughes has a Renault Clio - but it is not for his use AFAIK!

tdb
11th February 2007, 00:52

You definately heard wrong!

Alfa Fan
11th February 2007, 00:58
Seats open to Adam Jones...

Motorbase Peformance SEAT Toledo Cupra
GR Motorsport SEAT Toledo Cupra
Arkas Racing Techspeed Vauxhall Astra Sport Hatch

Would be the three realistic drives I guess.

tyreman2
11th February 2007, 01:41

you guess right, plus one other

captin 1 VXR
11th February 2007, 08:36
also dave pinkneys new team so adam has quiet a few seats to look at

tyreman2
11th February 2007, 10:04
also dave pinkneys new team so adam has quiet a few seats to look at
Pinkneys team mate will be Richard Marsh,and
Techspeed are definately intending running just 2 cars
Encke are still looking for drivers

MBailey06
11th February 2007, 11:04
I didn't know that the Pinkney/Marsh team was confirmed?

captin 1 VXR
11th February 2007, 11:08
Pinkneys team mate will be Richard Marsh,and
Techspeed are definately intending running just 2 cars
Encke are still looking for drivers

from what i read ritchard is buying (hopeing )dave pinkneys car as 307 was mmmm poo realy :D ..

dave should say what he is doing this week but may not say who he will have on his team ..

cos
11th February 2007, 11:59
from what i read ritchard is buying (hopeing )dave pinkneys car as 307 was mmmm poo realy :D ..

http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=196225&postcount=140

PDS
11th February 2007, 13:14
I didn't know that the Pinkney/Marsh team was confirmed?

Not officially! But so many people seem to know whats happening, when it is announced, it won't come as a surprise!

dave should say what he is doing this week but may not say who he will have on his team ..

Hopefully you should hear something soon as he is supposed to be picking-up his cars next week!

tisme
11th February 2007, 13:43

I thought Tom Ferrier was going to be the second driver at Motorbase.

racingdad
11th February 2007, 13:59
Is anyone actually sure that GR will run in the BTCC with the Toledo? I thought they handed them back to Seat.

Captain VXR
11th February 2007, 14:03
It's been heavily rumoured. They could buy them back cheap as they have other SEATs

Iain
11th February 2007, 14:08
S2000 SEATs aren't cheap.

Alfa Fan
11th February 2007, 14:30
A number of people seem pretty sure GR will be thier with Toledos.

VkmSpouge
11th February 2007, 14:52
Is anyone actually sure that GR will run in the BTCC with the Toledo? I thought they handed them back to Seat.

The only things around linking GR Asia to the BTCC are on online forums. So I don't think anyone can be sure until GR confirm or deny the rumour.

racingdad
11th February 2007, 16:09
The only things around linking GR Asia to the BTCC are on online forums. So I don't think anyone can be sure until GR confirm or deny the rumour.

My thought exactly.

Captain VXR
11th February 2007, 16:45
S2000 SEATs aren't cheap.

I know that but as they have such a good relationship with SEAT, they could easily get a discount.

Robinho
11th February 2007, 18:06
i think you can put the GR Asia rumour in with Clyde Valley, all hearsay, little substance, i've not seen anyone doing anything other than speculating and linking them an entry - does anyone have anything more concrete?

i'm now also seeing more posts saying Kartworld wil run the MG(s) again this year (although they apprently definatley had S2000 cars at some point)

glad the Erkut thing has come off and i hope Paul O'Neill gets the 2nd drive, he should be able to show well in the BTC pack and hopefully get a chace back at the pointy end next year.

i'm still anxiously waiting for news on Adam Jones drive, wondering who will be in the 3 open Lexus drives and is pondering if the Pinkney/Marsh S2000 thing is really going to happen, as again it all seems to be rumour at the moment, i've not seen anyone come out with anything much more concrete than that.

Does anyone have any new news on how Rick Kerry's BMW is coming on?

VkmSpouge
11th February 2007, 18:19
In an interview with crash.net around Christmas, Marsh said it was up to their PR team to decide when to announce it. Pinkney said in Motorsport News he hoped to announce something in mid-January.
But you're right nothing but posts on forums has linked them as team mates with a brace of Alfa Romeo 156s.

re Kartworld: I do like how this has gone from the team definitely having two Super 2000 cars probably Alfa Romeos, to that they are considering buying two Super 2000 cars probably SEATs, to they'll be using the MG again.

PDS
11th February 2007, 18:24
and is pondering if the Pinkney/Marsh S2000 thing is really going to happen, as again it all seems to be rumour at the moment, i've not seen anyone come out with anything much more concrete than that.
As I posted earlier...

Hopefully you should hear something soon as he is supposed to be picking-up his cars next week!

Does anyone have any new news on how Rick Kerry's BMW is coming on?

Again, possible news on this project some time next week. All I know is that it is going ahead!

Robinho
11th February 2007, 18:28
As I posted earlier...

Again, possible news on this project some time next week. All I know is that it is going ahead!

thanks PDS, i forget who has posted what, and therefore what to belive, but i take your post as a positive sign that its more than pure speculation on some peoples part. we've all seen rumours of a pair of Alfa 156's, is this the rumour in pole position?

good news about the BMW's, i know Rick posted some early photos of the project, i don't think i am the only one who would love an update if possible

tdb
11th February 2007, 18:52

I am reliably informed that at least one toledo has not gone back to spain.

If i driver comes up with the funds to drive the car, then i'm sure Paul would not turn them away.

Running racing cars is GR Asia's bussiness afterall!

cos
11th February 2007, 18:56
Is GR Asia derived from the GR who raced in the 2001 BTCC? I have a feeling they are but can't remember the details...

Alfa Fan
11th February 2007, 19:10
Yes. GR Motorsport ran Ford Focus' in the NSC in 2000 and then in the Production class of the BTCC in 2001.

They then purchased an Alfa Romeo 147 from JSM at the end of 2001 to run in the 2002 championship for Gordon Shedden.

Due to a lack of finance this program never got of the ground, and GR Motorsport went into liquidation.

Paul Ridigiway, with the help of the Noble Group in 2004, reformed the team as GR Asia, running a pair of Honda Civic Type-Rs in the ETCC.

The team then switched to SEAT in 2005 and have run a number of Toldeos and Leons since.

Captain VXR
11th February 2007, 19:11
Damn it - I was beaten to it

tyreman2
11th February 2007, 23:46
I am reliably informed that at least one toledo has not gone back to spain.

If i driver comes up with the funds to drive the car, then i'm sure Paul would not turn them away.

Running racing cars is GR Asia's bussiness afterall!

tdb is correct GR's Toledo's where leased from Barcelona and where both due to go back to spain in addition to one that GR where doing some repair work on for Seat.one car (a 2005/6 build) less engine is still in the UK Paul would love to do the BTCC with 2 cars but only with properly funded drivers as he wouldn't want a poorly supported project to have an adverse effect on the wtcc programme.

Robinho
12th February 2007, 12:47
so at the moment its very much a maybe. the age old problem being getting a well funded driver to appear at their door with a fat cheques to run the car.

does anyone know how actively GR are pursuing a possible entry in the BTCC, its all very well having a car ready if someone turns up with the cash, or are they out they talking to drivers, sponsors, managers in an attempt to make it happen?

i would imagine that the WTCC programme is very much their priority, anything coming off in the BTCC would be a bonus

Captain VXR
12th February 2007, 16:12
There's plenty of rich touring car racers like Gavin Smith or James Kaye (He runs the UK arm of Spoon Sports, a prominent Japanese Honda specialist tuning company)

Robinho
12th February 2007, 18:10
There's plenty of rich touring car racers like Gavin Smith or James Kaye (He runs the UK arm of Spoon Sports, a prominent Japanese Honda specialist tuning company)

so if we've got rich drivers and decent teams with drives waiting for rich drivers why isn't the entry list sorted already?

are they not rich enough or are the teams waiting for more money, better drivers (no disrespect to those mentioned).

or could it be that the reason they are rich is because they are tight? ;)

although given James Kayes work i'd imagine it would be sacrilige for him to be in anything but a Honda

PDS
12th February 2007, 18:43
so if we've got rich drivers and decent teams with drives waiting for rich drivers why isn't the entry list sorted already?

are they not rich enough or are the teams waiting for more money, better drivers (no disrespect to those mentioned).

although given James Kayes work i'd imagine it would be sacrilige for him to be in anything but a Honda
I think it might more of, Teams that have drivers they want, just waiting to secure the budget they need!

Alfabeta2
12th February 2007, 18:45

The only business that Kaye now runs is SVA Uk a not very succesful logistics company. He has nothing to do with spoon sports any more.

hence why he is not confirmed for a drive this year.

Captain VXR
12th February 2007, 19:52

Because the teams need to make sure that the driver(s) in question are the right choice. A lot of considering and negotiating is needed, rather than:
Race Driver X: Hi, Mr X, Team principle at X Motorsport, I have £X as sponsorship budget, can I drive one of your X touring cars please?
Team Principle X: Why sure, you're rich and we don't even know who you are. See you 13 March at Rockingham for the BTCC Media day.

I think it might more of, Teams that have drivers they want, just waiting to secure the budget they need!
That is true in quite a few teams.

tdb
12th February 2007, 20:20
Race Driver X: Hi, Mr X, Team principle at X Motorsport, I have £X as sponsorship budget, can I drive one of your X touring cars please?
Team Principle X: Why sure, you're rich and we don't even know who you are. See you 13 March at Rockingham for the BTCC Media day..

Sounds like the dream scenario for Any team owner to me!

If figure £X is large enough driver X would be spoilt for choice!

Captain VXR
12th February 2007, 21:25
What I was saying is that although a driver's budget is important to a team, they wouldn't want some rich guy at the back of the grid instead of a less rich guy at the front, explaining to Robinho (no offence) why my post does work but also why the teams are not just taking on a driver they have never met before who has money. Team bosses never rush into things unless it's testing the water like Motorbase at Silverstone (which had been planned).

Alfabeta2
12th February 2007, 22:55
I think a driver with enough money would be taken on by anyteam. They are busnisess after all! Remember the Turkish gentleman vauxhall ran this year Erkuiz

racer77
13th February 2007, 00:27
Unfortunately the one deciding factor is money fact of life not how good you are when it comes to motor racing there are not enough superstar drivers out there with big budgets ! You got the money you will get a drive even if you have only ever come last in Venezuelan Formula Whatever but teams need to pay there bills better to be out there and coming last than going into receivership.

tyreman2
13th February 2007, 08:03
Unfortunately the one deciding factor is money fact of life not how good you are when it comes to motor racing there are not enough superstar drivers out there with big budgets ! You got the money you will get a drive even if you have only ever come last in Venezuelan Formula Whatever but teams need to pay there bills better to be out there and coming last than going into receivership.

There is no doubt that Money Talks especially with the teams towards the rear of the field,however to get a drive at Team Dynamics or WSR for instance a fair amount of talent is also required.The teams such as Xero or Techspeed are a place for both drivers with ambition and the well heeled amatuer,In general though the cream still comes to the top

racer77
13th February 2007, 12:02
Yes i didnt mean teams like WSR or TD as they already have considerable backing and an ideal driver for them is someone who has talent and cash in equal amounts but most of all the talent. What i meant was the teams who are struggling sponsorship wise I no for a fact if you have around £150,000 in the bank and a intnernational C you could be there on media day in an astra or like. You might not be very competitive on that sort of budget but thats why all the good one make guys dont do it because they want a competitive drive but for midfield or tail end drivers they can at least tug a round at the pinnacle of uk motorsport.

Robinho
13th February 2007, 13:23
What I was saying is that although a driver's budget is important to a team, they wouldn't want some rich guy at the back of the grid instead of a less rich guy at the front, explaining to Robinho (no offence) why my post does work but also why the teams are not just taking on a driver they have never met before who has money. Team bosses never rush into things unless it's testing the water like Motorbase at Silverstone (which had been planned).

fair enough, but i was replying (somewhat sarcasticly admittedly) in response to you naming the likes of Gavin smith and James Kaye. these guys aren't unknown. i would have thought that if they have sufficient budget most teams would jump at the chance of employing their services.

of course if a random driver with wads of cash turned up they would not walk into a drive, but team bosses will be well aware of the majority of available drivers out there, especially the ones with stacks of cash, but still the drives are not filled.

i would assume, therefore, that maybe there aren't that many drivers looking at the BTCC with enough money behind them burning a hole in their pockets, or that the drivers are holding out for a better seat, that they probably can't afford, or their talent does not match.

in reality its a complex mix of money, talent, the right sponsor, personal history, favourites and sheer luck in getting the right driver/team combo and if you have one of these in spades you perhaps do not need so much of the others

racer77
13th February 2007, 14:22
Totaly right it is a mix of cash,talent,luck that is what being successful in motorsport is all about just take a look at Mr Sheddon last year. For the last few years he had struggled trying to sort things and now he is one of the countries top touring car drivers already had the talent got lucky with the cash at the right time.

Flip side look at James Pickford unlucky in 05 did a superb job (arguably fastest SEAT) got dropped wrongly no cash for 06 then came back blew a very competitive field away in the porsches with very little seat time reminded everyone how good he is.

If motorsport was about being worthy of drives think hed be at the top of a BTCC list on that one with mr adam/hodgetts etc just behind. sadly it is not and there is a lot of talent going to waste on the sidelines in the UK at the moment from all formulas.

dwracing23
13th February 2007, 15:04
Heard today that Adam Jones plans for the new season have gone backwards a bit - they still hope to be at media day but are working overtime to make it happen, bit of shame the "big" deal neevr cam off I think he deserves a good shot at the title in a decent car!

Also that Mark Smith has said he wont be returing to the series - but he's said that four times now so maybe he will return, its guys like this that make the BTCC what it is.

The BMW 1 series project may not be out for the first meeting had a few sponsors problems but plans to be out at the second or at some point.

Havent heard from CVR so I suspect that Colin hasnt any cars as yet - I also think that this will be a 1 car outfit untill that last few meetings.

PDS
13th February 2007, 16:17
The BMW 1 series project may not be out for the first meeting had a few sponsors problems but plans to be out at the second or at some point.

That's not what Rick told me today!
Yes, he will struggle to make Brands Hatch. It's not because of Sponsorship. Everyone could do with more sponsors!

dwracing23
13th February 2007, 16:24
That's not what Rick told me today!
Yes, he will struggle to make Brands Hatch. It's not because of Sponsorship. Everyone could do with more sponsors!

Fair enough just what I was told by a person close to him, I totally agree that you cant have too many sponsors!

racingdad
13th February 2007, 16:51
Yes i didnt mean teams like WSR or TD as they already have considerable backing and an ideal driver for them is someone who has talent and cash in equal amounts but most of all the talent.

Sorry to spoil the party, but it don't matter how good you are, you will need to bring considerably more than £150k if you wan't to join WSR or TD.

tyreman2
13th February 2007, 18:58
Sorry to spoil the party, but it don't matter how good you are, you will need to bring considerably more than £150k if you wan't to join WSR or TD.

That is not correct

reference to Robinho and Racer77 they are correct it is a mix of what a driver has to offer the team/sponsor.

edenrace
13th February 2007, 19:48
Sorry tyre man but racing dad is correct.

dwracing23
13th February 2007, 19:56
Sorry Edenrace/racingdad but to get a "drive" for WSR isnt as much as you think and I think that tyreman would know.

Any idea how the BMW is going since you sold it?

Also racingdad I hear its looking good for a certain driver both me and you know well?!

captin 1 VXR
13th February 2007, 20:05
if my memory is right someone i use to work with was in line for vxr drive but was asked to bring 750 .000. to 1 million

racingdad
13th February 2007, 20:12
dwracing23 - hopefully it is sorted, but you know, still a couple of minor things to sort out (or so I have been told).

as for the costs - it's like all these things, a mix of who you are, what you bring, what the team want, etc., etc. I do have a very good idea how much TD are getting for Sheddon and believe me it is a lot of money - but there again, a year in GP2 is around £750k + so its all relative.

captin 1 VXR
13th February 2007, 20:15
racingdad are you from scotland ? and maybe your boy is in banbury ? if not don t worry

racingdad
13th February 2007, 20:33
racingdad are you from scotland ? and maybe your boy is in banbury ? if not don t worry

No and No - sorry.

edenrace
13th February 2007, 21:48
Sorry DW as I work with a top BTCC team I can assure you that £250000 is an average figure for a good team who has sponsors of their own.

edenrace
13th February 2007, 21:50
By the way our BMW still lapped approx 0.5 secs quicker than Bell who had an engine with 1 years more development at each circuit.

racer77
13th February 2007, 22:55

YEP double that and your around what Mr Sheddons paying add a little more to your £150k and your around what Mr onslow-coles costs are as of the £150 000 marker that will get you a drive in something in the BTCC trust me I no spoken to a lot of teams over last couple of years about drives and have been quoted less in fact they are not going to be anywhere near competitive at that price though which is why im looking towards GT racing.

tyreman2
14th February 2007, 01:23
By the way our BMW still lapped approx 0.5 secs quicker than Bell who had an engine with 1 years more development at each circuit.
BTW What a load of .... any descent driver could have lapped 1 to 1.5 secs quicker than Bell
It's about time Edenbridge owned up to the fact that they did about as good a job with there BMW as Geoff Steele did with Bell's

edenrace
14th February 2007, 08:05
Wow who upset you. If you new anything about racing you would also have information that when Tim Harvey drove the car at Snetterton he was 0.5 quicker than the regular driver.therefore 1 sec quicker than Bell.Having worked in racing nearly 40 years I can assure you that the most important element in any team is the driver,but to win he also needs a very good car and this costs money to support properly.The E46 would not have won under normal circumstances due to the BTCC regs even with a top driver as it was just not quick enough . The E90 is a very different car and although the FWD cars have a tyre advantage I believe the BMW,s will be as competitive as the SEAT,s in 2007.However the E90 is very expensive to run compared to a BTCC car so any team running them will need good financial support.

PDS
14th February 2007, 11:59
Welcome back to the forum edenrace!

Robinho
14th February 2007, 12:44
if my memory is right someone i use to work with was in line for vxr drive but was asked to bring 750 .000. to 1 million

is that Pounds or Euros? plus if that was for the third car they have used in prior seasons then i believe they had to pretty much come up with all the funds to run the car, rather than just to buy a drive, as the existing package covered the 2 main cars.

seatfan
14th February 2007, 13:11
I have been told that the cost of the drive is not directly related to the cost of the car. you are buying a package that includes all the on-track hospitality and support as well as the likelihood of winning

Alfa Fan
14th February 2007, 16:02
edenrace, why do you keep pointing out how much better you ran your BMW in 2004 than GSR in 2006?

At least GSR are still in the championship......

Funks
14th February 2007, 16:36
This isn't the place to squabble over stuff like that - or have it stirred up. :dozey:

Not that it is my favourite thread of the year anyway, but if it must exist can people please stick to commenting on the rumours?

tyreman2
14th February 2007, 16:36
Wow who upset you. If you new anything about racing you would also have information that when Tim Harvey drove the car at Snetterton he was 0.5 quicker than the regular driver.therefore 1 sec quicker than Bell.Having worked in racing nearly 40 years I can assure you that the most important element in any team is the driver,but to win he also needs a very good car and this costs money to support properly.The E46 would not have won under normal circumstances due to the BTCC regs even with a top driver as it was just not quick enough . The E90 is a very different car and although the FWD cars have a tyre advantage I believe the BMW,s will be as competitive as the SEAT,s in 2007.However the E90 is very expensive to run compared to a BTCC car so any team running them will need good financial support.
Thats very presumptious of you I do know something about racing,having been involved in this madness called motorsport for more than 30 years.I also know Tim Harvey quite well and I have known most of the Dunlop technicians for many years.even some off the ones who where around when you ran the BMW. However what annoyed me was ,as Alfa Fan recognised your need to compare Edenbridge (a very experienced team with very good drivers at their disposal ) with a group of well meaning amateurs.That said the rest of your comments I totally agree with.Which makes me concerned for a low budget team such as Jackson Motorsport,Why?I hope to be proved wrong by Tony and Mat as he is a good young driver and a very likeable fella

Alfa Fan
14th February 2007, 17:12
Any idea when Encke Sport will confirm their drivers?

Allyc85
14th February 2007, 17:25
edenrace, why do you keep pointing out how much better you ran your BMW in 2004 than GSR in 2006?

At least GSR are still in the championship......

Is there any need for comments like that, chill!

Alfa Fan
14th February 2007, 17:28
Is there any need for comments like that, chill!

Not really no. Sorry. But there as no need for edenraces critism in the first place.

Funks
14th February 2007, 17:41
I refer to my previous post - post #887.

Captain VXR
14th February 2007, 17:45
Yes, can we get back to rumours please?

seatfan
14th February 2007, 18:21
Which makes me concerned for a low budget team such as Jackson Motorsport,Why?I hope to be proved wrong by Tony and Mat as he is a good young driver and a very likeable fella

I noted that racing dad posted this repost to that position on another forum

"As a family run team they don't need the same kind of money.

firstly, the team is run out of the family Ford dealership - so no expensive premises to pay for;

secondly, the team is not trying to make a profit as such - all they need to do is cover the costs of the staff directly employed, the running costs and any repair bills.

Commercial teams do need to try to make a living - I'm sure that Dick Bennet at WSR believes he has the right to make a decent living on the return from the investment (and rightly so)."

Ian McC
14th February 2007, 19:43
Not that it is my favourite thread of the year anyway

:laugh:

Don't get me started ;)

Alfa Fan
14th February 2007, 20:51
Anyone know why Pinkney/Marsh/Griffin has made no announcement about the Alfa Romeo BTCC program if its a done deal as has been suggested on this forum?

captin 1 VXR
14th February 2007, 20:55
i thought dave p was looking at the accord from jas

Alfa Fan
14th February 2007, 20:59
No.

PDS
14th February 2007, 21:25
Anyone know why Pinkney/Marsh/Griffin has made no announcement about the Alfa Romeo BTCC program if its a done deal as has been suggested on this forum?
As I said earlier on this thread!

Not officially! But so many people seem to know whats happening, when it is announced, it won't come as a surprise!
Hopefully you should hear something soon as he is supposed to be picking-up his cars next week! which is now, this week.. So not long now!

The mad monk
14th February 2007, 21:32
Sorry iain,should have been in the testing thread. can you swop it?

Funks
14th February 2007, 22:21
I'll do that and tidy it up - done.

cos
15th February 2007, 17:47
According to this (http://www.motorsportvision.co.uk/brands-hatch/news/article.asp?NewsID=2503) a 2nd driver announcement from Motorbase is due in the next few days, and the possibility remains for a 3rd car later in the season.

Captain VXR
15th February 2007, 19:00
Looks nice, love the Gold wheels. Number 25 reserved for Gareth then.

ADnet
15th February 2007, 19:58
nice to see a car with an original paint scheme in BLUE at long last!

here's a picture of the car for those that havent seen it:

Alfa Fan
15th February 2007, 20:07
http://www.motorsportvision.co.uk/news/article.asp?NewsID=2355

Seems Mark Jones has been driving Kartworld Racings MG. Anyone know if there's a chance he may be racing for them in 2007? MN seemed to suggest he was likely to be back out in the Xero Lexus in 2007.

VkmSpouge
15th February 2007, 20:12

Seems Mark Jones has been driving Kartworld Racings MG. Anyone know if there's a chance he may be racing for them in 2007? MN seemed to suggest he was likely to be back out in the Xero Lexus in 2007.

Hmm, look at the picture, in the background, is that a black Lexus?

Alfa Fan
15th February 2007, 20:14
Looks like it to me. Can't work out why he'd be at the Kartworld event then?

VkmSpouge
15th February 2007, 20:18
Money? Perhaps Jason wanted another touring car around and Mark was on hand.

cos
15th February 2007, 20:34
nice to see a car with an original paint scheme in BLUE at long last!

here's a picture of the car for those that havent seen it:

Have they painted the SEAT badge on the front orange as well??

ADnet
15th February 2007, 20:34
maybe seen as it was for kartworld sponsors and guests, he wanted not only to show them his car, but also wanted to show them what an s2000 car looks like.

tdb
15th February 2007, 22:23

Kartworld hired the track for the day.
And ran 3 cars, the MG, the Civic and a rover tomcat.

We paid them some money and shared the track time to test the lexus after resolving the missfire that plagued mark at silverstone.

Simple as that guys!

Alfa Fan
15th February 2007, 22:26
Thanks for clarifying that! The article wasn't clear.

racerm5
15th February 2007, 23:35
Just to let everyone know we are working long days to get the 1 series out for the brands race.It all depends on a few bits arriving from germany on time but the engine and box goes in on monday.Might get a few pics to post of our progress and will more than likely make it to rockingham media day even if the car isnt 100% complete....thanks all Rick

tdb
15th February 2007, 23:44
Keep on Keeping on Rick!!!

Can't wait to see a new car on track!

Your project has my upmost respect!!!

VkmSpouge
15th February 2007, 23:49
Just to let everyone know we are working long days to get the 1 series out for the brands race.It all depends on a few bits arriving from germany on time but the engine and box goes in on monday.Might get a few pics to post of our progress and will more than likely make it to rockingham media day even if the car isnt 100% complete....thanks all Rick

Good luck to you and the team, Rick. It'll be worth the effort you're putting in to see that BMW on the grid at Brands.

PDS
15th February 2007, 23:51
I am amazed that someone like yourselves have taken on this project to such a high level. Like tdb said, top man Rick!

Alfa Fan
16th February 2007, 00:06
Can't wait to see the BMW 1-Series. Good luck Rick!

Iain
16th February 2007, 01:19
Have they painted the SEAT badge on the front orange as well??

They have indeed. Painting the SEAT badges is getting more and more common on the roadcars, but not seen an orange one yet. :p :

Good luck with the 1 Series project Rick.

tyreman2
16th February 2007, 09:21
They have indeed. Painting the SEAT badges is getting more and more common on the roadcars, but not seen an orange one yet. :p :

Good luck with the 1 Series project Rick.

Nothing much i can say that hasn't already been said Rick! Respect is definately due.A word of warning if you think it has been hard work so far you 'aint seen nothing yet! Good luck

Marc W
16th February 2007, 10:15
Good luck with the car Rick, hope it all goes well for you. It'll be good to have another different type of car on the grid.

Robinho
16th February 2007, 12:00

best of luck and hope all the hard work gets you to Brands on time, i think you'll find you'll have a nice bit of support when you get on the track, thanks for keeping us all informed

Captain VXR
16th February 2007, 16:04
Good luck Rick

touringlegend
16th February 2007, 19:42
I hope to see the 1 Series out too! If the backing is sufficient enough I reckon the car could do well, so I hope all those sponsors come forward.

PDS
16th February 2007, 23:30
I had the good fortune to meet Rick earlier today. Top bloke.

I must say I think what his team AFM Racing are doing with the 1 series is amazing. He is getting help from everyone possible to make his entry into the BTCC.

As he said, he may not be race ready for Brands, but hopefully he will put in an appearance at the media day at Rockingham.

Captain VXR
17th February 2007, 08:57
Cool, do you know if a second one will appear?

dwracing23
19th February 2007, 17:07
Ive noticed your last few comments regarding Mr & Miss Leggate in recent posts tbd could it possible that these go hand in hand with Xero plans for 2007?

tdb
19th February 2007, 19:31
Ive noticed your last few comments regarding Mr & Miss Leggate in recent posts tbd could it possible that these go hand in hand with Xero plans for 2007?

Nope!

I like Fiona and Malcom and try to defend her when i read rubbish written about her by people who hover on the fringes and think they know something!

captin 1 VXR
19th February 2007, 19:44
is fiona waiting to see if danny gets the merc dtm drive and move over to germany for some racing ?

BTCC2
20th February 2007, 16:09
is fiona waiting to see if danny gets the merc dtm drive and move over to germany for some racing ?

I doubt she will race outside of Britain.

cos
20th February 2007, 20:50
I see there's talk of Motorbase having signed a certain GT champion to partner Howell?

tin-top fan
20th February 2007, 20:53
would that be matt allison by any chance?

VkmSpouge
20th February 2007, 22:34
On Allison's website it does say he's looking for sponsorship to race in the BTCC this year. If he's got the money then Motorbase would be right to snap him up quickly.

Captain VXR
21st February 2007, 09:24
I see there's talk of Motorbase having signed a certain GT champion to partner Howell?

Cool news if it is true.

Captain VXR
21st February 2007, 09:27
http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=407&PHPSESSID=72a50614b00e46d399b850870c6369c4
The Team Dynamics build here :D

100%hondafan
21st February 2007, 10:31
cant see that happening myself but will eat my words!
Griffen do seem to end up with some dodgy deals though

Iain
21st February 2007, 11:43
How did Griffin come into all of this? :confused:

cos
21st February 2007, 13:40
MN today says Simon Blankley has picked up an ex-Dynamics Integra to be run by Graham Hathaway Racing. Blankley drove an ST Honda Accord in EuroSaloons last season.

VkmSpouge
21st February 2007, 15:25
Graham Hathaway Racing ran Robb Gravett in his Honda Accord to the 1997 Independents' Cup title, right?

cos
21st February 2007, 15:39
That's the one. Hathaway himself raced in the BTCC late 80s I think.

GRAVETT
21st February 2007, 15:45
he ran an ex mike smith trackstar rs500 briefly in 1990 cant remember what he entrered in previous years

kmchow
21st February 2007, 17:24
That's great to see an old BTCC hand (like GHR) return to the BTCC.

kmchow
21st February 2007, 17:27
http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=407&PHPSESSID=72a50614b00e46d399b850870c6369c4
The Team Dynamics build here :D
Supposedly, the decision to go with the Civics was made only in Dec/06. So does that further support rumors they were holding out for a Korean works manufacturer contract? Or could they have been seriously contemplating staying with the old BTC rules? Which theory sounds more likely?

Captain VXR
21st February 2007, 17:38
They wanted BMW 320si S2000 cars but after a visit to the Honda factory in Swindon regarding manufacturer support, things changed.

Robinho
21st February 2007, 20:52
i see everyone has answered my questions from the confirmed thread as to who Simon Blankley, Graham Hathaway, where the news came from and where the cars came from, i wish when people posted news like this they would give all the information instead of posting half the info making it look like its something only they know. cheers for clearing things up on this thread, i assume this is still to be confirmed, or have they stated they thay have everything in place to run this season?

VkmSpouge
21st February 2007, 21:13
Probably will have to pop into Smiths tomorrow to see what is actually said in the article ;)

cos
21st February 2007, 21:21
I think the MN article said the plans should be confirmed within the week.

captin 1 VXR
22nd February 2007, 06:15
its a t d integra ... more than likly dave pinkneys car ?

CroftPilgrim
22nd February 2007, 16:15
Or Richard Marsh's? (re my post on the confirmed thread.)

captin 1 VXR
22nd February 2007, 17:46
Or Richard Marsh's? (re my post on the confirmed thread.)

i do belive richard never got to buy the car as d p had sold it

Alfa Fan
22nd February 2007, 20:07
Geoff Steel Racing expanding to a two car team? Martyn Bell says on btcc.net he wants 2 BMW 320is E90s for 2008, and that he has some very exciting news to come for this season.

Captain VXR
22nd February 2007, 21:11
I posted that in confirmed entries...

Marc W
23rd February 2007, 10:18
The team were trying to run more than 1 car this season at one point, but sadly things didn't work out.

Robinho
23rd February 2007, 12:47
Geoff Steel Racing expanding to a two car team? Martyn Bell says on btcc.net he wants 2 BMW 320is E90s for 2008, and that he has some very exciting news to come for this season.

something about new sponsors for this season that would change the look of the cari think he said

personally i'd love to see some of the names that have been associated with motorsport and the BTCC in particular return to sposnoring teams,

where are the likes of Duckhams, Texaco, Valvoline, Shell, Esso, Mobil 1, etc would be nice to get some big name headline sponsors back on a few cars in the next few years. i can't understand why mototring prducts seem to not bother with BTCC these days whilst all sorts of random companies do, surely it would do a motoring linked comapny good to be associated with motorsport where all the petrolheads know what they are looking at and might actually be interested in the product by association.

coincidentally i had a dream (you know those flu induced weird sh!t vivid dreams) and at some point i saw a Google sponsored BMW being driven in the BTCC, which was random!

Iain
23rd February 2007, 12:55
Look at the likes of NASCAR though. How many non-automotive sponsors are there? Maybe someone else has realised the marketing potential of the BTCC and wants to advertise their completely unrelated product, yet they will probably still come up with some wacky PR about their product and the BTCC having a "synergy". :p :

I'm still trying to get my head round the Atomic Kitten deal 5 years later.......

Robinho
23rd February 2007, 13:06
i can understand the non-auto products using motorsport as a platform, after all it has a large following both at circuits and on TV, and if the product fits the demographic of the fans (mostly guys between 16-50 i'd think) then it makes perfect sense, what i don't understand is why auto brands don't use the BTCC so much anymore, i know most if not all of the se roducts are known to the fans/viewers already, but the exposure through motorsport would surely give them a competitive edge over their rivals through this association.

after all it hasn't stopped Green Flag, RAC, Dunlop, Halfords in the last few years, but i would have expected to see the Fuel companies, parts (brakes, spark plugs etc), audio/gadgets, tuning, styling etc. you see these guys with stands at events, does this offer better value than sponsoring a team?

who wouldn't want to see a full, Pioneer, Blaupunkt, Shell, Valvoline, Bilstein, Ferodo or Texaco liveried car.

Iain
23rd February 2007, 13:15
At the end of the day I think it's similar to why there aren't as many manufacturers involved - they're all part of the same group. Not as many independent companies out there nowadays, Total Fina and Elf are now the same group for example.

Robinho
23rd February 2007, 13:27
so we'll only be left with a couple of car companies, a couple of Fuel companies, Mcdonalds, Sony, Coca Cola, Nike, Google, Microsoft, Apple and Virgin soon then!

tin-top fan
23rd February 2007, 13:36
A lot of the companies mentioned above already have a presence in motorsport though. Blaupunkt is the headline sponsor of the seat cupra championship, with companies such as tom tom (team halfords) and castrol (seat italy wtcc) invloved in touring cars. I suppose that the huge sponsors become invloved in global champs, rather than ones like the Btcc unfortunatly. Companies like halfords and rac are British based which is why we see them in the BTCC.

Iain
23rd February 2007, 13:48
Castrol are sponsors of the Ford WRC team and the Ford V8 Supercars team also. Seems like they're putting their money into the blue oval.

Robinho
23rd February 2007, 14:15
perhaps its just down to the profile of the BTCC these days then, i guess these companies are still out there and involved in motorsprot in some way, but prefer to put their money into genuinely global or continental championships rather than smaller domestic series, maybe, with BTCC seeminglyon the rise again we will see a greater interest from some of these larger companies again?

and like stated above, companies seem to be more interested in headline sponsoring a series rather than an individual team, i guess that way they get the exposure whenever the series is mentioned/watched but don't have to suffer the potential brand damage of their chosen team performing badly against the competition

tin-top fan
23rd February 2007, 17:06
I think someone like Seat would be a prime example of how teams are sponsored around the world. In the WTCC for example, the main team is covered in Red Bull logos and Seat Italia is sponsored by Castrol.
Look then, at the BTCC team which has itself as the major sponsor......

kmchow
23rd February 2007, 18:39
It's interesting how Nascar/V8 Supercar too?? seems to thrive with many non-automotive sponsors when every other global series struggles?? Are US/Aust audiences just more receptive or susceptible to marketing??? :rolleyes:

Andy_B
23rd February 2007, 18:59
It's interesting how Nascar/V8 Supercar too?? seems to thrive with many non-automotive sponsors when every other global series struggles?? Are US/Aust audiences just more receptive or susceptible to marketing??? :rolleyes:

Much bigger audience thats why. A non automotive sponsor often, won't be prepared to chuck all their sponsorship money in a small specialist (in terms of Nascar/NFL/NHL/PremierLeague/Uefa cup etc) championship.

Rover V8
23rd February 2007, 19:21
perhaps its just down to the profile of the BTCC these days then, i guess these companies are still out there and involved in motorsprot in some way, but prefer to put their money into genuinely global or continental championships rather than smaller domestic series, maybe, with BTCC seeminglyon the rise again we will see a greater interest from some of these larger companies again?

and like stated above, companies seem to be more interested in headline sponsoring a series rather than an individual team, i guess that way they get the exposure whenever the series is mentioned/watched but don't have to suffer the potential brand damage of their chosen team performing badly against the competition

I think the nature of current BTCC entries has a lot to do with it. The kind of big-name sponsors you're talking about are only really going to get involved on a significant scale with manufacturer-backed teams, of which we've only got a couple right now. I can't imagine say Blaupunkt or one of the oil companies getting involved as title sponsor for say Dave Pinkney or Matt Jackson.

What we've got right now, to me, seems much like the BTCC I remember in the mid/late 80's, with a few teams having big name sponsors, but many more having sponsors who are linked to individual drivers, either because they have long-term relationships as a sponsor for that individual driver, or because of that driver's business activities outside their driving career.

Alfa Fan
23rd February 2007, 19:31
"Motorbase Performance is running the ex-works SEATs Toledo Cupras of former champion Jason Plato, James Pickford and Luke Hines, all of whom recorded victories in the cars in the 2005 season. They have been re-built by the Wrotham-based team’s engineers and are ready to hit the 2007 championship trail as good as new." From SEATCupra.net

Seems to suggest three cars from Motorbase?

Robinho
23rd February 2007, 19:35
I think the nature of current BTCC entries has a lot to do with it. The kind of big-name sponsors you're talking about are only really going to get involved on a significant scale with manufacturer-backed teams, of which we've only got a couple right now. I can't imagine say Blaupunkt or one of the oil companies getting involved as title sponsor for say Dave Pinkney or Matt Jackson.

What we've got right now, to me, seems much like the BTCC I remember in the mid/late 80's, with a few teams having big name sponsors, but many more having sponsors who are linked to individual drivers, either because they have long-term relationships as a sponsor for that individual driver, or because of that driver's business activities outside their driving career.

i think you are probably right, as these things often are cyclical, and the sport definateley seems to be on the rise with larger grids and greater exposure than for a few years. as the competitiveness of the series rises, as does the draw to teams, drivers and sponsors, and as funding increases, so does the series, in quality and depth, until it hits a breaking point with costs versus value and the whole thing starts again, unless the management can keep a good enough control to ensure that the bust never happens and the teams, manufacturers, drivers and sponsors are happy to keep going and the fans are happy to watch.

i don't envy them, they have to battle to promote the series, encourage entrants and investors, but then when things take off, have to keep control of the whole thing to stop the money they invite in destroying the series.

i would say that the Aussie V8's are a prime example of this, large grids and an aparemtly healthy series, loads of teams and varied sponsors, it obviously represents value to them, and perhaps DTM an example of a series teetering on the brink, loads of money involved, but the whole thing is at the mercy of the organisers keeping the limited manufacturer base involved, who obviously want to see value for their investment, who are apprently subsidised to keep them in the series

Robinho
23rd February 2007, 19:38
"Motorbase Performance is running the ex-works SEATs Toledo Cupras of former champion Jason Plato, James Pickford and Luke Hines, all of whom recorded victories in the cars in the 2005 season. They have been re-built by the Wrotham-based team’s engineers and are ready to hit the 2007 championship trail as good as new." From SEATCupra.net

i'd wait til they confirm the second driver before getting too excited over a 3rd car.

the possibility to run 3 cars has been discussed several times, and i think the only way that would happen is if the right person with the right cheque turned up. as the 2nd drive has yet to be confirmed i would say a 3rd car is distinctly unlikely for now. they definately have 3 cars, but i think the 3rd is likely to be a spare for now, if even fit to race

Alfa Fan
23rd February 2007, 20:07
Which rock are you living under - the second driver is confirmed as Matt Allison.

http://www.seatcupra.net/seat_sport/seat_sport_uk_btcc/matt_allison_scores_toledo_btcc_drive_566.html

Alfa Fan
23rd February 2007, 20:10
"The debut of the Motorbase Performance SEAT Cupra Toledo in the Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship on Sunday couldn't have gone much better.
http://www.motorbaseperformance.co.uk/press-releases/BTCC-13/Ferrier_01b.jpg (javascript:;)

The team, which is expanding its BTCC operation next season to run three ex-works Toledos, decided to enter one of its new machines into the final races at Silverstone, Northamptonshire, to see how the SEAT fared prior to a full attack on the 2007 title."

Alfabeta2
23rd February 2007, 20:27
a lot of the sponsers on the cars are the drivers own companies or their friends companys, hence some random companys sponsering teams.

Iain
23rd February 2007, 20:59
"The debut of the Motorbase Performance SEAT Cupra Toledo in the Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship on Sunday couldn't have gone much better.
[/b]:;]http://www.motorbaseperformance.co.uk/press-releases/BTCC-13/Ferrier_01b.jpg (http://javascriptthree ex-works Toledos, decided to enter one of its new machines into the final races at Silverstone, Northamptonshire, to see how the SEAT fared prior to a full attack on the 2007 title."

3 cars at some point after mid-season perhaps. I'd expect they want to get the two cars sorted out first and learn as much as they can before taking someone else on.

MattL
23rd February 2007, 21:48
Which rock are you living under - the second driver is confirmed as Matt Allison.

http://www.seatcupra.net/seat_sport/seat_sport_uk_btcc/matt_allison_scores_toledo_btcc_drive_566.html

We can do without the insults, thanks.

Robinho
23rd February 2007, 21:56

i hope you meant to put a smiley with that :)

that would be the news that was only confirmed today and that no-one had posted on the forum until after i posted about the 2nd driver.

I still think the 3rd car will be unlikely, although i expect Tom Ferrier will be hoping otherwise

Robinho
23rd February 2007, 21:59
http://www.motorbaseperformance.co.uk/press-releases/BTCC-13/Ferrier_01b.jpg (javascript:;)

The team, which is expanding its BTCC operation next season to run three ex-works Toledos, decided to enter one of its new machines into the final races at Silverstone, Northamptonshire, to see how the SEAT fared prior to a full attack on the 2007 title."

that was the statement made after Silverstone, about there intention to run 3 cars, plans which have probably changed several times since then, i think that the people who have contacts have told us that the plan was to run 2 cars, maybe 3 if funds permitted and probably not until later in the season

cos
23rd February 2007, 22:23
Erdos tested the Xero Lexus today - a BTCC return for him?

Iain
23rd February 2007, 22:24
Someone hinted somewhere something about Tommy Erdos earlier this week and I cannot remember where I saw it. :mark:

cos
23rd February 2007, 22:26
Someone hinted somewhere something about Tommy Erdos earlier this week and I cannot remember where I saw it. :mark:

It was tdb, unsurprisingly! Erdos is due race the Le Mans series this season isn't he?

Iain
23rd February 2007, 22:36
I think so. I can make out just the one clash of dates.

cos
23rd February 2007, 22:53
Chilton's doing Le Mans series as well, but BTCC for him will obviously take priority. Any photos/news from today's testing?

PDS
23rd February 2007, 23:28

You won't let this go, will you AlfaFan?

Motorbase will start the 2007 season with TWO Seat Toledo Cupra's!
WHEN, they feel the time is right and WHEN they have enough parts to build a third car and IF they can get a suitable driver, they will then run a THIRD car!

captin 1 VXR
24th February 2007, 07:33
think tommy been tsting the car as a faver as he doing alms elms and le man .. but he had said he like to do the 24h brit car race to .. so could that lexus be going to brit car

Captain VXR
24th February 2007, 09:05
Perhaps he can do 24 hours Brit Car and BTCC alongside the LMES when dates do not clash.

captin 1 VXR
24th February 2007, 09:08
could do i have to pop down his house as he live 3 miles away from me in uk ;) and ask him lol

Captain VXR
24th February 2007, 09:08
In the UK or Spain?

captin 1 VXR
24th February 2007, 09:09
lol edit it befor u posted lol

Captain VXR
24th February 2007, 09:12
lol

Captain VXR
24th February 2007, 09:22
Lol, you can have a free packet of Skips if you ask :D
Terms and conditions
1. You have to pay for the Skips
2. You have to pay for them on finance - 15% interest monthly
Seems fair

captin 1 VXR
24th February 2007, 09:27
Lol, you can have a free packet of Skips if you ask :D
Terms and conditions
1. You have to pay for the Skips
2. You have to pay for them on finance - 15% interest monthly
Seems fair

i don t like skips :D :D only ones i liked was the corn on a cob flaver green packet but not seen them for 10 years :rolleyes:

cos
24th February 2007, 11:22
think tommy been tsting the car as a faver as he doing alms elms and le man .. but he had said he like to do the 24h brit car race to .. so could that lexus be going to brit car

He did the BritCar 24hr last year.. for Xero!

rdjones
24th February 2007, 11:35
I think so. I can make out just the one clash of dates.

He will drive the RML Lola again, however there are 3 clashes between the BTCC and his sportscar d.rives. The LMS at Spa (Brands Hatch) and Valenica (Thruxton) and the Le Mans Test Weekend clashes with Croft. The applies for Tom Chilton.

captin 1 VXR
24th February 2007, 11:37
He did the BritCar 24hr last year.. for Xero!
could be there use the lexus this year :rolleyes:

VkmSpouge
24th February 2007, 12:38
I don't they could, the Lexus is better as a sprint car not an endurance racer.

moneyseeker
24th February 2007, 17:19
Castrol are sponsors of the Ford WRC team and the Ford V8 Supercars team also. Seems like they're putting their money into the blue oval.

They are probably the 'first fit' lubricants company for Ford road car production, many of the automotive brand deals are based on a larger commercial arrangement with the manufacturer.

tdb
24th February 2007, 18:07
could be there use the lexus this year :rolleyes:

No! Tommy will do some britcar rounds and the 24hr in the Ford Falcon we ran last year and are rebuilding for a bigger campaign this year!

Tommy was testing some of the development parts we have fitted to the lexus, as Tommy has a massive amount of ability and is very good at feedback, he was a natural choice to test the car.

captin 1 VXR
24th February 2007, 18:32

funny as castrol as sponsering the seat italian importers wtcc car :rolleyes:

tdb
24th February 2007, 18:45
Perhaps more time on grammar websites, would be time well spent!

mattie007
24th February 2007, 22:40
I thought Tom Ferrier would be a certain for a Motorbase drive. Shame though as he really did well at SS.

tin-top fan
25th February 2007, 23:47
I've found this which tdb posted in the scsa section of this forum in thread about what people would like to happen in the scsa championship this year.

Hopefully Colin White staying in SCSA
Instead of buying Dave Pinkney's Integra and going to the BTCC

And Malcom Klien staying in Pick ups instead of buying Richard Marsh's Peugeot 307 and going to the BTCC

This definitly shows that Pinkey is likely to race a new car this year. It also seems to suggest that someone actually wants to race the 307 again !?!?!?!