PDA

View Full Version : Atkinson has sign with Subaru for 2008 & 2009 seasons!!!

Livewireshock
7th September 2007, 14:36
So no Suzuki or other possible drives for Chris. Straight from a SWRT press release.

http://www.swrt.com/news/viewarticle.html?id=1320

Livewireshock
7th September 2007, 14:46
Also from the driver's point of view.....

http://www.chrisatkinson.com.au/latest_news.asp

MJW
7th September 2007, 15:09
Dont know if I'm reading too much into the press release but it sounds as if Atko is the "favoured one" at SWRT - no mention of him and Petter as a line up, and also SWRT hope to give him his first win soon. Does this mean Petter will be elesewhere?

Lalo
7th September 2007, 15:15
I don't think Petter will be elsewhere. He's not confident with the car but the team knows he still has what it takes. I don't know there Pons is into with Atko's contract (Chris is getting better and better driving on tarmac, so it isn't that he's not gonna be nominated as a point scorer driver for SWRT on those events).

A.F.F.
7th September 2007, 16:03
I think Subaru's lineup will be Atkinson & Latvala. Remember, you heard here first ;)

Fiorio
7th September 2007, 16:16
It´s all about money :rolleyes:

White Sauron
7th September 2007, 16:43
I think Subaru's lineup will be Atkinson & Latvala. Remember, you heard here first ;)

with all respect to your opinion, doubt Wilson can let another young and talented driver (as was previously said after Solberg and Duval) go to a rival team... Jari is a future star, so... better hold him in Ford.

Timole
7th September 2007, 16:49
great news and hopefully he will have his first win soon!

Mickey T
7th September 2007, 17:48
It´s all about money :rolleyes:

what money?

L5->R5/CR
7th September 2007, 18:24
what money?

The money Subaru of Australia makes from having a young Australian start in the WRC of course!

Langdale Forest
7th September 2007, 19:06
If the 2008 Subaru Impreza is alot better that this years, maybe Atkinson can win a rally in the next 2 years.

jonkka
7th September 2007, 21:07
If the 2008 Subaru Impreza is alot better that this years, maybe Atkinson can win a rally in the next 2 years.

It needn't be that much better as both Subaru drivers have set some very decent times with the current car lately. If only they could do that consistently.

ste898
7th September 2007, 21:38
I wonder with this decision if Subaru are serious about winning in rallying!!

A.F.F.
7th September 2007, 22:34
with all respect to your opinion, doubt Wilson can let another young and talented driver (as was previously said after Solberg and Duval) go to a rival team... Jari is a future star, so... better hold him in Ford.

It's all about contracts on this level.

Addicted
7th September 2007, 22:36

Don`t worry ste, Subaru will hire seat from Ford when they wan`t wins!

Maui J.
8th September 2007, 01:50
Great news. I think Chris is going places, as long as Subaru can get the car sorted, he should be up there on the podium before too long.
At Rally NZ, the head-honcho from Subaru Japan flew here for a whistle-stop tour of the rally, he was helicoptered to the stages on Day Two and Three and flew back to Japan on the Sunday evening.
He must have liked what Chris was doing.

Schultz
8th September 2007, 03:02
The money Subaru of Australia makes from having a young Australian start in the WRC of course!

I thought we were over this. He is currently paid for his services as far as I am aware.

duff
8th September 2007, 04:41
Great to hear. Atko has been donig a great job recently and if he can keep it up he will be on the podium (maybe even top step) very soon.
It's good that he has the security of a 2 year contract as well.

Yet again MickeyT knew this was coming before it was announced...

L5->R5/CR
8th September 2007, 05:21
I thought we were over this. He is currently paid for his services as far as I am aware.

You didn't understand my comment...

I didn't imply or state that Subaru of Australia was paying a single cent.

The joke was that this signing MAKES SoAu money, not them spending money....

*sigh*

koko0703
8th September 2007, 08:39
Congratulations to Chris, and I'm really happy with this signing. After Pons's contract was announced I was afraid that Subaru gave up on Atko, but now all my worries are gone! I think Atko is talented and has what it takes to win a rally (not sure about title though). Only if the car performs.....

Now Chris has signed contract, what will happen to Petter??? Is this sign of Petter leaving SWRT at the end of season???

Wim_Impreza
8th September 2007, 08:50
It's good for Atkinson, but otherwise it is probably that Subaru has again a car in the next seasons with a lot of technical problems. I am impressed by Christopher this year, he is really better then Petter Solberg this year. His very experienced co-driver Stéphane Prévot is also positive about Atkinson in the Belgian press.

Mickey T
8th September 2007, 09:39
Now Chris has signed contract, what will happen to Petter??? Is this sign of Petter leaving SWRT at the end of season???

well, if i was a betting man...

Buzz Lightyear
8th September 2007, 11:38

have you been watching the last 3-4 rallies??

Buzz Lightyear
8th September 2007, 12:17
well, if i was a betting man...

whats the word in the street mickey?

Subaru has said recently in the press, that they 'dont think' he is going anywhere. Bit vague if you ask me..

Erki
8th September 2007, 12:38
You didn't understand my comment...

I didn't imply or state that Subaru of Australia was paying a single cent.

The joke was that this signing MAKES SoAu money, not them spending money....

*sigh*

Next time you make a joke, you better make a joke that more people than only you and me can understand. ;)

Fiorio
8th September 2007, 13:15
The Atkinson is good driver, but not so good, its not a top driver and never will be...he had more the time for show that...certainty he stay in Subaru because of lot money bring for team and off course nobody of team tell that for outside and say its because is skill, whatever all in motorsport is same, look for formula 1 :p

N
8th September 2007, 15:22
I think Atkinson can win rallies, he is still young, I remember watching him in the Australian Championship driving a Suzuki S1600 and absolutely flying. With a good car, I believe that he might be able to push for wins one day.

L5->R5/CR
8th September 2007, 17:50
Next time you make a joke, you better make a joke that more people than only you and me can understand. ;)

Well it looks like two people didn't get it...

At least 7 others did...

Maybe it was subtle to the point that some people thought I was being serious.

Subaru is the only team that doesn't have a driver funding part of their seat though...

Mickey T
8th September 2007, 18:56
The Atkinson is good driver, but not so good, its not a top driver and never will be...he had more the time for show that... :p

later next year, i'll remind you you said that.

certainty he stay in Subaru because of lot money bring for team and off course nobody of team tell that for outside and say its because is skill, whatever all in motorsport is same, look for formula 1 :p

he does not bring money. his backers do not bring money. he receives money from subaru as a fully paid professional rally driver. i am not sure i can make this more clear to you.

he is a fully paid driver this year as well. he does not - repeat, does not - bring money to the team.

Pons brings money to SWRT, petter and chris are paid.

still, i don't see you sticking the knife into ford for taking money off hirvonen up until the end of last season...

johnny utah
9th September 2007, 05:34
you got it MICKY T.

2005.... atkos first year in SWRT, he brought money to the team.... put together by his family, a group of aprox 5 australian business men and subaru australia.

2006.... subaru australia puts a small amount of money in, this was repaid with atkos entry in the tarmac events put in buy SRTA ( subaru rallt team australia ) in the 2005 model, with the old active diffs i believe. ( if you look at tarmac 2006 pictures, you willnotice the signage on the side of car will reflect this ). chris is paid a wage .

2007.... chris brings no money to SWRT, and is paid a full time wage.

While subaru has a good market in australia, people must understand that WRC gets practictly no media coverage (apart from TV coverage) in AUS, so considering the AUS population is only aprox 22 million people, chris pretty had much had one shot at getting into the WRC, as the money backing would only last a very short time. To put it into a bit of perspective, the total amount of money paid to SWRT in 2005 to get chris the seat, is more than a TWO car FACTORY team spends to do the whole AUS championship.

When atko started his first WRC for SWRT at the begining on 2005, it had been just 4 years since he first ever drove a rally car of any kind....now thats a steep learning curve.

i think a future champion... no matter where he is from.

jonkka
9th September 2007, 15:25
The Atkinson is good driver, but not so good, its not a top driver and never will be...he had more the time for show that...certainty he stay in Subaru because of lot money bring for team and off course nobody of team tell that for outside and say its because is skill, whatever all in motorsport is same, look for formula 1 :p

Wanna back that with money laid down?

Mickey T
10th September 2007, 08:29
whats the word in the street mickey?

Subaru has said recently in the press, that they 'dont think' he is going anywhere. Bit vague if you ask me..

well, if i had to make a guess right now...

...i'd guess this is his last year at subaru. i think they've both had enough of each other.

...my best guess would see petter in a second orange Focus alongside his brother next year.

duff
10th September 2007, 09:38

...i'd guess this is his last year at subaru. i think they've both had enough of each other.

...my best guess would see petter in a second orange Focus alongside his brother next year.

Guess eh?

My money is on whatever you say...

jacko
10th September 2007, 10:49
Expected, Atkinson to Suzuki was only a option when he didn't got the performance, but he did grow in speed this year. Think Subaru Australia has nothing (more) to do with spending money to the team, overall i'm thinking that this kind of drivers are mor paid by the team than from the sponsors.
On topic: what i'm most missing in the press-release is that nothing was said about Petter Solberg... Thought they now have their first & second driver for 2008 but nothing.. even not about Pons who is supposed to do 2008 aswell..?

johnny utah
10th September 2007, 12:48
the question of petta ???
IMO he will stay at subaru..... remember the pay packet his on !!!.

unless another manufacturer is offering those sort of $$$$... no way.

Buzz Lightyear
10th September 2007, 13:07

the is very interesting suggestion. especially that they have had enough of each other. The focus has entirely shifted to Chris, and the recent performances have validated this.

Citroen 'might' be interested, as they have made a mistake with Sordo this year. A mistake, in terms of the fact they could never expect to win the manu title with a rookie second driver. Maybe the C4, and Loebs setup, suit Petter. Bias for slightly understeering car. It would be on Citreons terms tho.

I have no doubt Petter has tested his brothers Focus, and possibily, found it much easier to drive than the Subaru. Expert would, id imagine, pay petter equal, if not more than ihis currnet subaru wage, just for the prestige of the norgewian duo.

interesting times ahead.

MJW
10th September 2007, 13:47

I have no doubt Petter has tested his brothers Focus, and possibily, found it much easier to drive than the Subaru.
interesting times ahead.
Doubt if Petter has actually tested Henning's car as that car is an M-Sport "works car" and does not live on the Solberg family farm! A test would have to be with the blessing of M-Sport Ford and Subaru (& FIA as both are seeded drivers) - I do believe that Petter & Henning have discussed every minute detail about the Focus, and feels that he knows about the Focus and can relate it mentally to how the Subaru reacts.
I guess any driver who starts the 2008 season in a C4 or Focus will have an advantage - I think the Subaru will be a contender, just a question of how soon in the season it is out there competing.
I also feel that the recent PR "body language" coming from SWRT seems to indicate a shift towards Chris.

jonkka
10th September 2007, 16:05
I have no doubt Petter has tested his brothers Focus

If Henning doesn't get to test Focus, how on earth do you reckon that an outsider like Petter would?