PDA

View Full Version : before the year 2007 mclaren

Blackburn Buccaneer
7th September 2007, 08:23
humor me, and post a timeline, chronicling before 2006-2007, when mclaren was accused of and proven to have cheated in F1.

I have read some very passionate decrials of mclaren
some have even justified their indignation as payback
since when has it been ok to kick someone who strives for perfection?

can we get a list of mclaren wrong doings going?

thank you.

Ranger
7th September 2007, 10:37
If you want to be pedantic:

- In 1997 they used their double brake pad, which was famously uncovered by an F1 Racing journalist Darren Heath. The device was hence banned after protest from (you guessed it :p :) Ferrari in 1998.

- Then in Jerez '97 and Australia '98 they had their team order debacle

- In 2000, Mika Hakkinen scored no Constructors points for his win in Austria because of a missing FIA seal on its Electronic Management System.

Anything else to burn the heathens for?? :p :

Blackburn Buccaneer
7th September 2007, 11:02

- In 1997 they used their double brake pad, which was famously uncovered by an F1 Racing journalist Darren Heath. The device was hence banned after protest from (you guessed it :p :) Ferrari in 1998.

- In 2000, Mika Hakkinen scored no Constructors points for his win in Austria because of a missing FIA seal on its Electronic Management System.

burning is illegal: this is info which i'll use to create a snapshot of mclaren's indiscretions. will look at the other teams also

settle down, and please keep it coming if you have any more to offer

Flat.tyres
7th September 2007, 11:07

So, your answer is no then is it? :D

"Hence banned" - no cheating or they would have been penalised.

97, 98? What were the punishments and where were they accused of cheating?

2000. Cheating? A missing seal is a technicality and not an accusation of cheating such as being underweight is a miscalculation and no indication of cheating although it would result in an exclusion.

Ranger
7th September 2007, 11:16
So, your answer is no then is it? :D

"Hence banned" - no cheating or they would have been penalised.

97, 98? What were the punishments and where were they accused of cheating?

2000. Cheating? A missing seal is a technicality and not an accusation of cheating such as being underweight is a miscalculation and no indication of cheating although it would result in an exclusion.

I know... My whole post was written in jest - that was about the extent of McLaren's wrong doings of the past that I could see, and IMO none of those are cheating.

Having thought about it, it's pretty hard to cheat in F1, because there are so many technical loopholes that often cheating can only be explicitly classified in numbers, ie fuel capacity, minimum weight etc.

Flat.tyres
7th September 2007, 11:18
I know... My whole post was written in jest - that was about the extent of McLaren's wrong doings of the past that I could see, and IMO none of those are cheating.

Having thought about it, it's pretty hard to cheat in F1, because there are so many technical loopholes that often cheating can only be explicitly classified in numbers, ie fuel capacity, minimum weight etc.

Sorry, didn't read it that way ;)

Blackburn Buccaneer
7th September 2007, 11:25

humor is sorely lacking these days. there seems to be a wave of "take no prisoners" ,flooding out, the more thoughtful stuff.

Flat.tyres
7th September 2007, 11:39
humor is sorely lacking these days. there seems to be a wave of "take no prisoners" ,flooding out, the more thoughtful stuff.

We do seem to have a deluge of hanging juries at the moment.

Take the gearbox casing for example. Simple oversight that was immediatly rectified and no suspicion of any cheating or deceptiopn whatsoever and some members are screaming blue murder :rolleyes:

Some people just want to serve McLaren to the dogs for daring to be in the lead :D

Dave B
7th September 2007, 12:05
Every team worth their salt in F1's 50+ year history has pushed the boundies to the limit - most have strayed over at some point.

McLaren are by no means unique - their only problem is that they've been found out.

ArrowsFA1
7th September 2007, 13:32
There are spies everywhere these days :p

tinchote
7th September 2007, 14:24
There are spies everywhere these days :p

:D

luvracin
7th September 2007, 17:13
EVERYBODY IS CHEATING. To think otherwise is naive. The people "accused" and/or "proven" of cheating are only the ones who have been caught!

Mark
7th September 2007, 17:17
There was also the issue of the regenerative braking system which was banned only because the other teams did not have it.

Blackburn Buccaneer
7th September 2007, 19:05
thanks for your responses: i will need some dates if possible, to have any chance of producing a good result.

Everyone has an opinion, and that's the way it should be: i intend in time to produce a graph, one/more for each team, of KNOWN miss-steps.
also one that may be able to show which teams have been the most politically savvy.
I'm not gonna use any other site: i'll just use any info i can gather here.
I'm hoping this is possible, but from the looks of the responses it is gonna take a long time.

again thanks for your help everyone: i don't want to start any arguments,
Alex