PDA

View Full Version : McLaren... more trouble.

Buzz Lightyear
6th September 2007, 14:26
McLaren must beginning to think there is a voodoo doll of them...

McLaren are under investigation by the race stewards at the Italian Grand Prix over their running of a new lightweight gearbox in Hungary that had not been crash tested, autosport.com can reveal.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/62078

Dave B
6th September 2007, 14:33
Any nominations as to which team might have tipped the stewards off? ;)

Garry Walker
6th September 2007, 14:33
This is immensly funny for me.

ArrowsFA1
6th September 2007, 14:37
Why would the Italian race stewards look into something that happened at the Hungarian GP :confused:

Garry Walker
6th September 2007, 14:39
Why would the Italian race stewards look into something that happened at the Hungarian GP :confused:

Because apparently cheating occured during the Hungarian GP. Do you think cheaters should be punished?
If this was Ferrari then you would be screaming murder already.
ron - :rotflmao:

Buzz Lightyear
6th September 2007, 14:48

Correct me if im wrong, but I think the race stewards travel form race to race, not exclusivley, but some do..

I have thought of this before. Why is it not just Charlie Whiting from FIA sort all this out?

F1MAN2007
6th September 2007, 14:49
Enough is enough now for what is going and going on in the F1. Sorry for my word, but for me, this championship is totally rubbish

FIA, Stewards, Mclaren and Ferrari have screwed already the best competitive championship ever in F1.

Garry Walker
6th September 2007, 14:51
Enough is enough now for what is going and going on in the F1. Sorry for my word, but for me, this championship is totally rubbish

FIA, Stewards, Mclaren and Ferrari have screwed already the best competitive championship ever in F1.
What has Ferrari done?

F1MAN2007
6th September 2007, 14:54

Because if the FIA and the Appeal Court can't punish the BigMc so the stewards (particularly in Italy) will use all their power to do so.

F1MAN2007
6th September 2007, 14:57
What has Ferrari done?

One of the thing is the illegal part (sorry I don't remember the technical word) used in their car in first race.

ArrowsFA1
6th September 2007, 14:57
Why is it not just Charlie Whiting from FIA sort all this out?
Exactly :up: The Italian GP stewards have responsibility for the race this weekend. They don't have responsibility for previous races where, it seems, the McLaren passed scrutineering perfectly well.

First the Stepney story, then the new hearing, now this. All around the Italian GP weekend. Funny that :dozey:

Garry Walker
6th September 2007, 15:06
Because if the FIA and the Appeal Court can't punish the BigMc so the stewards (particularly in Italy) will use all their power to do so.

I was expecting something like this. Remember, one of the stewards is the same in every round and only one out of the 3 represents the country where the race is hosted. I wouldnt expect someone like you to understand something like that though. And what does it all have to do with Ferrari? Ferrari=victim here.

As for FIA punishment, just you wait. McLaren was invited back, things not looking to bright for the McCheats.
There has been no verdict from the appeal court btw, have you followed F1 at all lately?

Damn, I am enjoying this so much. For years a group of people full of venom have been launching their attakcs on Ferrari for whatever reason, without having no respect for themselves and for how it makes their IQs look. Now Ferraris main rival is caught with their pants down and seems to keep breaking the rules, but still people find a way to blame Ferrari :rotflmao:

If this was Ferrari accused of something like this, a certain group of people would have been overjoyed already

Garry Walker
6th September 2007, 15:09
Exactly :up: The Italian GP stewards have responsibility for the race this weekend. They don't have responsibility for previous races where, it seems, the McLaren passed scrutineering perfectly well.

First the Stepney story, then the new hearing, now this. All around the Italian GP weekend. Funny that :dozey:

Oh yes, the italians and Ferrari are to blame for this. Everyone at McLaren is innocent, it is only those cheaters from italy again, damn that ferrari!
McLaren has been FRAMED by Ferrari :)

Sometimes the stuff I read here is just embarrasing.

ioan
6th September 2007, 15:11
McLaren must beginning to think there is a voodoo doll of them...

McLaren are under investigation by the race stewards at the Italian Grand Prix over their running of a new lightweight gearbox in Hungary that had not been crash tested, autosport.com can reveal.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/62078

Are we talking about the McLaren "high moral standards" Mercedes Vodafone F1 team, lead by none else then Ron "whiter than snow" Dennis?

It surely can't be that they raced with a car that had parts that were not tested in proper crash tests! Or maybe they did?!

Tell you what, Ron can say bye bye to that hearing for the Hungarian constructor points!

I wonder how much did they cheat this year after they discovered that Ferrari were light years ahead in Oz. :D

Garry Walker
6th September 2007, 15:14
I bet Vodafone and Mercedes are happy about this perfectly good PR they are getting :rotflmao:

ioan
6th September 2007, 15:18

Maybe they are just investigating the reasons why McLaren passed scrutineering in Hungary with a car not conforming to the regs?!

What if they just discovered that McLaren uses a new gearbox and when they asked about the crash test the team's answer was that it isn't a new unit and it was already used in Hungary! Just that it wasn't tested before Hungary either.

All I can say is "Well done Ron & Co!"

It seems that the heat is getting to them and they are doing one mistake after the other. :D

F1MAN2007
6th September 2007, 15:23
I was expecting something like this. Remember, one of the stewards is the same in every round and only one out of the 3 represents the country where the race is hosted. I wouldnt expect someone like you to understand something like that though. And what does it all have to do with Ferrari? Ferrari=victim here.

As for FIA punishment, just you wait. McLaren was invited back, things not looking to bright for the McCheats.
There has been no verdict from the appeal court btw, have you followed F1 at all lately?

Damn, I am enjoying this so much. For years a group of people full of venom have been launching their attakcs on Ferrari for whatever reason, without having no respect for themselves and for how it makes their IQs look. Now Ferraris main rival is caught with their pants down and seems to keep breaking the rules, but still people find a way to blame Ferrari :rotflmao:

If this was Ferrari accused of something like this, a certain group of people would have their pants full of semen already

Yeah, of course Ferrari has been and will be always the poor victim Guy in all spying and cheaters cases in F1!!! :rotflmao: :D

ArrowsFA1
6th September 2007, 15:28
"On Thursday of the Hungarian Grand Prix, McLaren voluntarily made the FIA aware that the team would be using a new reduced weight gearbox casing.
"Before qualifying the FIA asked McLaren to supply after the race weekend some documentation concerning the precise changes that had been made.
"This was supplied before the Turkish Grand Prix, but subsequently McLaren was advised by the FIA that in their opinion the revised gearbox needed to undergo a repeat crash test. As a result the team chose not to use the lightweight gearbox at the Turkish Grand Prix.
"On 30th August the McLaren lightweight gearbox passed both a push off test and an impact crash test without any problem under the supervision of the FIA. Consequently the team will use the lightweight gearbox at the Italian Grand Prix."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/62079

F1MAN2007
6th September 2007, 15:34
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/62079

Maybe this is not enough for steawrds?! :D

mstillhere
6th September 2007, 17:30
One of the thing is the illegal part (sorry I don't remember the technical word) used in their car in first race.

You should refrase that. Your statement is actually NOT accurate.

mstillhere
6th September 2007, 17:31

If this was Ferrari accused of something like this, a certain group of people would have their pants full of semen already

BRAVO

F1MAN2007
6th September 2007, 17:59
You should refrase that. Your statement is actually NOT accurate.

Please, make it clear. Thank you

ioan
6th September 2007, 18:38

There was no illegal part on any of the Ferrari cars! You're welcome! :D

wmcot
6th September 2007, 19:34

Let's not go into the whole legal-illegal flexible floor argument again. That was beaten to death on another thread which was finally closed after hundreds of pointless posts.

Let me summarize it for you - the Ferrari floor was NOT illegal (it complied with all the FIA tests) until the FIA changed the tests before Malaysia (when Ferrari changed the floor to comply with the NEW tests.)

You can't really compare that with the McLaren gearbox that was NEVER submitted for testing.

Dave B
6th September 2007, 19:58
Well, McLaren have been fined $50,000 and the FIA have accepted that McLaren did show the Technical Delegate their new components prior to racing in Hungary.

McLaren are accordingly ordered to pay a fine of US$50,000 (FIA International Sporting Code Article 155).
The view of the Stewards is that the components having been satisfactorily tested indicate that the cars complied with the technical configuration required when they raced in Hungary. Nothing in this decision is to be taken as condoning the practice of retrospective impact testing resulting in the use of untested components but in the particular circumstances of this case no further sanction will be applied.

So it's really a non-story. But I don't suppose that will stop people carping on about it :rolleyes:

Stewards full verdict:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/62088

wmcot
6th September 2007, 20:11
Well, McLaren have been fined $50,000 and the FIA have accepted that McLaren did show the Technical Delegate their new components prior to racing in Hungary.

So it's really a non-story. But I don't suppose that will stop people carping on about it :rolleyes:

Stewards full verdict:

It's nice to see the FIA come to a quick decision for once! Well done stewards! Glad this one didn't drag out for months. (Unless, of course, the gearbox casing came from Ferrari documents or something strange like that...)

ioan
6th September 2007, 20:26

Stewards full verdict:

What more could they have done? Dock their points from the Hungarian GP once more?! :p :

As for McLaren's appeal for their Hungarian constructors points, well they can kiss those points goodbye.

Firstgear
6th September 2007, 21:02
(Unless, of course, the gearbox casing came from Ferrari documents or something strange like that...)

hahaha......Maybe that's why they thought it didn't need to go thru crash testing - because it had already passed the Ferrari crash test!!!

BDunnell
6th September 2007, 22:27
hahaha......Maybe that's why they thought it didn't need to go thru crash testing - because it had already passed the Ferrari crash test!!!

Excellent. :laugh:

Hawkmoon
7th September 2007, 00:36

:D :up:

This is a bit of a non-event. The McLaren gearbox subsequently passed the crash test and is/was perfectly legal.

The problem is that McLaren only decide to tell the stewards on the Thursday before the Hungarian GP that they've got a new gearbox. This obviously didn't leave time for a crash test before the GP. Shouldn't they have known that the new 'box would have to be crash tested before being used?

If the 'box had failed the subsequent test then McLaren would have been in serious trouble for racing with an illegal part. I think McLaren need to have a word with their procedures department as they seem to be asleep.

f1rocks
7th September 2007, 01:48
McLaren Press Release!

Woking, August 2007

Back from his summer vacation Ron Dennis has held a press conference at the Headquarters of the McLaren Group in Woking.

Nor the suntan, neither the clearly forced smile could mask Mr Dennis anguish when, with a voice broken by the emotion, he announced that, affected by the FIA persecution and disgusted and distressed by the groundless suspicion of the F1 world, he has decided to sell all of his shares of the McLaren RacingTeam to Mercedes and completely and definitively leave the F1.

Meanwhile Mr Dennis will not leave the world of sport and racing. After having conferred with his lawyers and financial advisors he has decided to turn to another sport, one, he said, where technology doesn't play any role, one where only "human virtues, courage, loyalty and integrity" play a role.

In spite of his evident sharp sorrow Mr Dennis, bravely, even tried at some humor. "I am, he said, dropping two wheels, moving from four to two, which means that I'm setting up a Bycicle Racing Team. In a way, I'm recycling myself..."

When the applause of the admiring audience ceased Mr Dennis gave some details.

"The new team will be called McBike Racing Team and our first and main goal will be a victory on the Tour de France and the WCC (World Cycle Championship).

To reach such ambitious goal we need, and we have hired, only the best. This international group of champions, coming from all horizons, not only have the talent required but also have the inner knowledge of the biking racing world and know all the secrets of this sport. Namely the Tour de France.

This new challenge will be a joint venture with two capable and absolutely trustworthy people, my longtime associates, Mr Coughlan and Mr Stepney.

To prove the seriousness of our enterprise I'm disclosing, in a world premiere, the name of the main competitors that will compose the McBike Racing Team:

- Jan Ullrich, Germany (Caught cheating at the Tour de France. Inquires still going on, definitively banned)*
- Richard Virenque, France (Caught cheating at the Tour de France. Banned for two years)*
- Erik Zabel, Germany (Confessed cheating. Unwelcome on all main races)*
- Floyd Landis, USA (Caught cheating at the Tour de France. Still on Tribunal. Banned in Europe)*
- Michael Rasmussen, Danemark (Caught cheating. Banned)*
- Patrick Sinkewitz, Germany (Caught cheating. Banned)*
- Alexandre Vinokourov, Kazakhstan (Caught cheating at the Tour de France. Banned)*

Additionally we hired, as special advisor,
- Lance Armstrong, USA (Ron's Brother in Arms. Biggest cheater ever but never caught. Won 5 Tour de France. Proofs came too late)*

That's all for the moment. Sorry, no questions accepted today" concluded, close to tears, Mr Dennis.

After a last, sad smile to the journalists Mr Dennis left, walking proudly toward his next great challenge.

F1 has lost a legend. Yes, the King is dead. Long live the King!

*Note: With his typical praiseworthy sense of respect for a person's right to privacy, Mr Dennis didn't supply the personal details following (in italic) the name of the racers of his new team. They have been added by the editorial staff.

Timber
7th September 2007, 02:37

i could not have said it any better , you are my new forum Hero
PS: but i still like Alonso ...

Flat.tyres
7th September 2007, 11:17
This really is a non event. I don't think it was a gearbox at all but a casing that was different. Bit of a mix up with what should and shouldn't have been done and the paperwork was a bit back to front.

Slap on the wrist and a slap on the wrist of about the amount it would cost to Photocopy 780 pages :D

ioan
7th September 2007, 12:07
This really is a non event. I don't think it was a gearbox at all but a casing that was different.

That's exactly why a new crash test was required, because the gearbox casing is part of the rear structure that was crash tested initially.

They didn't lose to much in this case however, maybe any chance they had to get back their Hungarian GP points is lost now, but that's life!

555-04Q2
7th September 2007, 12:48
Any nominations as to which team might have tipped the stewards off? ;)

It was BMW Sauber.

Daniel
7th September 2007, 13:03
:rotflmao:

Nice one.

rwssport
7th September 2007, 13:04
Has anyone seen totally independent information about all the "disagreements" between McLaren and Ferrari - ie not from the English or Italian medias?? And would there really have been such a great fuss if one of McLaren's drivers hadn't been English??

markabilly
7th September 2007, 13:29
McCheats spends 50k plus plus for food and drinks for its sponsors at each race.... :beer:

big deal....that is not punishment...

losing points is potentially worth millions in revenue and prestige esp from sponsors and the WCC, and if the WCC is lost, that makes even a million dollar ($1,000,000) fine insignifigant..... :rotflmao:

jso1985
7th September 2007, 20:39
well I don't think you can claim the cheated this time!

The gearbox eventually passed the crash test, so they had no advantage fom that in the Hungarian GP!

But I agree with their fine(maybe a bit more like 200 000 would have been better), good to see the FIA didnt make a soap opera ouf of it this time!

ClarkFan
9th September 2007, 03:45

Perhaps some things never change. Like Jim Clark being hounded by the police at Monza in 1963 for the 1961 accident with von Trips, and Chapman being pursued in the years after Rindt's accident in 1970.

ClarkFan

mstillhere
9th September 2007, 04:43
There was no illegal part on any of the Ferrari cars! You're welcome! :D

Thank you, Ian

mstillhere
9th September 2007, 04:44
Let's not go into the whole legal-illegal flexible floor argument again. That was beaten to death on another thread which was finally closed after hundreds of pointless posts.

Let me summarize it for you - the Ferrari floor was NOT illegal (it complied with all the FIA tests) until the FIA changed the tests before Malaysia (when Ferrari changed the floor to comply with the NEW tests.)

You can't really compare that with the McLaren gearbox that was NEVER submitted for testing.

Thank you

mstillhere
9th September 2007, 04:47
i could not have said it any better , you are my new forum Hero
PS: but i still like Alonso ...

B R A V O