PDA

View Full Version : Ciao Maestro...

pino
6th September 2007, 06:35
Italy's great tenor Luciano Pavarotti has passed last night at his home in Modena at the age of 72. I am not an Opera fans but I've loved his unique voice and apprecciated his great effort/work to help children from the whole World.

R.I.P Luciano

Lalo
6th September 2007, 06:49
R.I.P Lucciano Pavarotti

He's been fighting against a pancreas cancer which was removed in surgery a year ago. Too bad the story ended up like this.

oily oaf
6th September 2007, 07:23
Like Pino I'm no opera buff, I remember my mother taking me to Sadlers Wells Opera House in Covent Garden to see Puccini's "La Boheme" and falling asleep at half time, but even an old Philistine like me couldn't fail to be moved by the great man's soaring vocal range as he seemingly effortlessly belted out some of the most difficult Arias in opera.
RIP Big Fella.

Dave B
6th September 2007, 08:42
Thanks in part to his legendary ample size, Pavarotti managed to make the art of opera look almost effortless. I understand that he's not particularly highly rated among purists, but he did wonders for increasing the popularity of opera among the masses, and performed stirling duties for charity.

RIP big guy.

bowler
6th September 2007, 08:46
RIP maestro

CarlMetro
6th September 2007, 08:46
As Dave has said, he brought opera to the masses and will be greatly missed as a consiquence.

RIP Luciano :(

Donney
6th September 2007, 09:19
A sad loss indeed.

RIP

ian959
6th September 2007, 10:53
Thanks in part to his legendary ample size, Pavarotti managed to make the art of opera look almost effortless. I understand that he's not particularly highly rated among purists, but he did wonders for increasing the popularity of opera among the masses, and performed stirling duties for charity.

RIP big guy.

Dave, you have that right for the latter part of his career - made me cringe every time he hacked his way through Nessun Dorma - but you cannot knock the man for bringing opera in some form to a wider audience, nor his efforts for charity.

He will be missed.

Curryhead
6th September 2007, 11:59
I have no idea what so ever about opera music, but what I do know is this chap was an absolute legend, so sad :(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6981032.stm

pino
6th September 2007, 12:05
http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120915

Curryhead
6th September 2007, 12:10
so sorry, did'nt see this post, I did look to see if anyone had all ready made one :(

pino
6th September 2007, 12:50
so sorry, did'nt see this post, I did look to see if anyone had all ready made one :(

It's ok mate :)

Daniel
6th September 2007, 13:53
Not my sort of music. But WOW what a voice!

He will be missed.

Garry Walker
6th September 2007, 14:15
A great singer, one of the best voices ever. A huge loss.

Mark in Oshawa
6th September 2007, 15:03
Ciao Maestro....what a great character...

schmenke
6th September 2007, 15:03
Sad news. RIP Pavarotti.

The record companies will be making a mint now :s

oily oaf
6th September 2007, 17:09
I understand the great man will be laid to rest at his home in Modena on Saturday.
I hope the service won't clash with Italia's match against France in the European football qualifier as I'm sure that the football loving tenor and ardent Juventus fan would be most annoyed if he can't watch the game in peace.
Incidently England are going to mark his passing by having Nessun Dorma sung before our own game against Israel this Saturday evening. Nice touch.

The "purists" that poured scorn on Pava's achievement in bringing opera to the "Great Unwashed" are a bunch of incorrigible snobs who deserve to be burnt face down in their opera house boxes. IMHO of course

I listen to a huge ghetto blaster a work which is normally tuned to Capital Radio or sometimes Radio 5 when I'm in cerebral mood so it was interesting to see the effect on my fellow highly skilled technicians when Nessun Dorma came blasting out. The rat tat tat of the airguns ceased and everyone stopped to listen and I swear to God that when I glanced at my mate Tony there were tears glistening in his bloodshot eyes.
Or perhaps I was just deceived by the moist coating that was obscuring my own vision.
Terrible stuff exhaust smoke :)

Easy Drifter
6th September 2007, 18:46
Only saw him live once at Maple Leaf Gardens. Good seats, terrible acoustics but what a voice!

race aficionado
6th September 2007, 19:57
Bravo Luciano.

Rest in Peace

LotusElise
6th September 2007, 21:53
He made Nessun Dorma his song, which is a hard thing to do in opera. His solo part on Passengers' Miss Sarajevo always makes me teary for some reason.

LeonBrooke
6th September 2007, 22:33
It was a bit of a shock when I heard he'd died :( His Miss Sarajevo performance was just about all I knew of him, but still ;(

jso1985
7th September 2007, 21:07
Sad news indeed :(

RIP Luciano